Budget knives

I just bought these ikea knives on someone's recommendation here and want to say thank you.

I was about to buy a set of victorinox fibrox knives. I've used them in food service before and know they're good quality at a reasonable price. But these were cheaper, look ten times better (clearly Global inspired), are razor sharp as expected, and they have a fifteen year warranty. Basically when they get dull and need to be ground down, I can just take them back to Ikea and exchange them for free.

The 8" chef knife was $20, vs. $25 for the Fibrox. Really happy with these and would recommend them to anyone.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000O8OTNC/ref=s9_top_hm_awbw_b1DPH_g469_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-5&pf_rd_r=T5866HT4HVBTZEJ77210&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_p=7ebcbacd-56a8-5b98-80cc-95e0a0eeae69&pf_rd_i=289867
amazon.com/gp/product/B016XJAY84/
youtube.com/watch?v=
youtube.com/watch?v=JBZ2eHpth2s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You sound like the sort of person who probably eats at McDonald's

I doubt "it got dull" is covered under a knife's warranty

"it won't cut" strikes me as a fairly fundamental failure for a knife. What exactly do you think the warranty will cover? They're hardly going to offer a warranty on the handle falling off when it's made from one piece of steel.

What is the deal with knives getting perminantly blunt? I bought a good one about 2 years ago, and it just won't get sharp any more. My sharpening iron is fine as it works well on my other knives but this one just seems blunt no matter how much I try.

Do they have a lifespan or am I fucking up somehow?

You can cut most things with a butter knife if you try. "Will not cut" is not the same as "won't cut as easily and efficiently as I would like without maintenance".

They sell the fiskars wheel sharpener
If it ever gets to the point where the fiskars sharpener doesn't sharpen the blade to my liking, I can return the knife for a new one
That's all there is to it

Your other knives are sharp enough that your honing rod can realign the edge. Your blunt one has no edge to realign. It needs resharpening properly, by being ground down.

How do I go about doing that? It wasn't particularly expensive so am I as well to just get a new one?

Thanks m8

You can get a whetstone for about ten bucks, or a professional will do it for about ten bucks

If you don't like your knife, it may be worth investing in a new one

You should've bought the vardgen knives. They look more professional and are just as good. I've had mine for a while and they are still as sharp as the day I bought them.

what are these

Ikea 365 series

>I just bought these ikea knives on someone's recommendation here and want to say thank you.
My sister bought a set when going to medical school more than 10 years ago. I laughed at her then, like, don't do that!!! We can go buy some good knives... And, she threw the knife block in the ol' ikea basket anyway, like just to be done. When I visit her....those knives are still sharp and not offensive whatsoever. Holding up well. Who knew?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a home cook, if I don't even look at the brand name but just hold it and like the way it sits in my hand and buy that one, isn't that adequate? Of course I'll keep it sharp, but what's the difficulty? Why do I need to pay for some corporate stamp of validation?

Ya know, Ctrl+F "whetstone" no results.

Come on Veeky Forums that's a fundemental item for any knife owner. I inherited the knives I have and they're older than me. I had them professionally sharpened initially, then learned to use a whetstone. They're probably 30 years old by now and I am truly satisfied. Also they never see a drawer or knife block. Magnet strip master race. So as long as they're a decent steel, and you care for them, they will take care of you.

Hahahahahabaha

To tag onto this, if you get a new one, get a sharpening stone too and practice on the old one before you somehow fuck up the new one beyond repair.

>Btw wtf is my Captcha

How long they will last and how sharp the edge will even get are two big factors. Sure the dollar store knife feels good but you'll have to sharpen the damn thing daily at least.

Only a millennial faggot would take the time to go to Ikea and return a knife because it got dull. Truly pathetic

>take the time

Vs. grinding it down yourself or taking it to a professional

Not all of us live in the middle of nowhere, ikea is ten minutes from my house fag

If you're talking about pic related, it was me.

I'm happy you took my recommendation. :)

>If it ever gets to the point where the fiskars sharpener doesn't sharpen the blade to my liking, I can return the knife for a new one
>That's all there is to it

Just because you post something on the internet doesn't make it true.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000O8OTNC/ref=s9_top_hm_awbw_b1DPH_g469_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=mobile-hybrid-5&pf_rd_r=T5866HT4HVBTZEJ77210&pf_rd_t=30901&pf_rd_p=7ebcbacd-56a8-5b98-80cc-95e0a0eeae69&pf_rd_i=289867

Faggot, you must not understand that we are talking about something literally as simple and quick as brushing your teeth. Going to Ikea and exchanging your knife when it gets dull is one the gayest things I've read on this site

It was you thanks boss

"MOKOQI Professional 7 Piece Ceramic Kitchen Knife Cutlery and Peeler Set - Includes 6" Chef's, 5" Slicing, 4" Paring, 3" Fruit Knife and One Peeler Plus Black Block & Scabbard (White)"

amazon.com/gp/product/B016XJAY84/

20 USD, quite sharp and seem to stay that way (used my set daily for a little more than six months without ever using any sharpener/strop/etc. on them and they still cut like a dream.) The peeler is pretty nice, too. Potatoes, carrots, and whatever else stand no chance at all. No need to even sharpen, since they're so cheap. Just toss 'em and buy a new set if they get chipped/dull, that's what I'm planning on doing.

Plus, the engrish in the description makes me giggle, so there's that.

>This faggot doesn't use a whetstone.

Honestly you have no room to talk.

I have an Ikea chef knife that is about 4 years now. I use a whetstone to sharpen it. Sorry not an expert on knives but it works and I am not spending hundreds on a knife. I think maybe in another 4 years the body will be half it's size because I grinding off too much (usually two-three times a week). Oh well, in about 8 years I would have only spent $20.

Is this a joke

I've had those knives for a few years now and I'm still happy with them. Not as sharp as when they were brand new but still fine.

You should return them

Going back this week to get the bread knife. Really wish they made matching steak knives though :(

They look like global, but less horrendously ugly and more slippery.

Honestly they feel nice in the hand, don't slip, and the transition from blade to handle is easier to grip with my forefingers than a traditional style chef knife

>don't slip
wait until you start working on something wet with them
>which is almost everything

Hope you have insurance on your fingers.

every kitchen in the usa should have one of these

this is a ikea knife rack

go get one

what every kitchen needs is an..

Because 90% of people don't have the wrists or skill to sharpen blades manually. After using this device you need to buy some jewelers rouge and a strop to finish your sharpening.

I fucking hate these things. We use one at work. Every single knife has a broken tip. My mom installed one in my house too, and didn't put it on a fucking stud. I'm gonna build a knife rack like the one in eat man woman or whatever it's called.

>20°

What is this for, sharpening a fire axe?

handles look like slippery bullshit, fuck that

this thread is fucking cringe

Unless you have an expensive high Rockwell knife, this is the way to go. So 200 bucks and a skill in sharpening, or 200 bucks and a bunch of 3 dollar knives. It's up to you. I have both.

I just bought my brother in law a 5" Miyabi utility knife. Cost about $60. All my personal cooking knifes are north of $100, except my wifes fucking Paula Dean bullshit pink knives.

If you need a budget knife get a Kiwi, they're pretty sharp and completely disposable.

how do you sharpen them?

>is one the gayest things I've read on this site

You should try /mu/, it'll change your opinion on exactly how gay the site can be.

I have a water stone, a couple honing steels (textured and smooth) and a pull-through with settings for both western and asian.

Once a year or so I'll take them to my guy to get them professionally done...but they all hold their edges really well.

Yeah, don't EVER use a pull through. That ruins the edge. Water stone is essentially what your pros use, if you're good enough with that and a strop you don't need "a guy". I you use a free stone all you need is a strong and stable wrist.

Get a wooden one, not steel.

Use a real sharpening stone or get it professionally done.

If you cook you should have an expensive high rockwell carbon steel knife.

In my professional life I use sheffield or german tool steel. That doesn't exist everywhere. So when I'm making chow I turn people to cheap alternatives. Not everyone buys expensive knives.

The pull through is for my wife and her bullshit knives. I typically stone them, but if I'm feeling lazy I will use a honing steel for a quick edge.

I have a lot of knives, and some of them I care about more than others, if you know what I mean.

ITT: People that need to learn how to sharpen knives. Seriously the plebbery in this thread is UNREAL.

F a m has those exact two Ikea knives and they're some of the best knives we've ever had.

is your sister still holding up as well after 10 years of use?

I would recommend this model for any beginner chef

youtube.com/watch?v=

It has so many different applications...

here's the link...idk why that got cut off.... pun intended
youtube.com/watch?v=JBZ2eHpth2s

How does it break the tips?

They don't, he's just retarded or the magnet is weak.

Dumbass.

Wife let her dad use some bullshit automatic grinder on all our knives. Completely ruined. "But at least they got sharper". I've ground down the edge of my favorite chef's knife to a usable angle, but the rest would take a whole day to fix.