Whisky/ey thread

Whiskey.

What are you drinking, what are you buying, what are you eyeing up?

Pic related, sourced a bottle after an user mentioned it in a thread a couple of weeks ago. Very unusual, very "green" taste. Not bad, but nothing like any scotch or bourbon I've had and difficult to get used to because of it.

>Whiskey

no

i'm sure there's other, more appropriate threads out there for you to discuss your juniper vodka in

Haven't tried the peated one but I have tried the regular one. I agree, like nothing I have ever tried before. Not sure if I liked it or not, will probably pick up another bottle if I see it on offer to double check.

Been drinking Glenmorangie Midwinter Night Dram recently after getting it for £25 in Costco. Quite unusual and quite subtle but very pleasant. Will buy another bottle and hide it away until next winter I think.

>Not sure if I liked it or not
Yeah, I get that. I reckon it's just a case of getting used to it, though. I started on bourbon and felt the exact same way when I started drinking scotch, so I guess feeling that way about Penderyn is just getting used to a new variety of whisky. It was definitely a worthwhile experience just for the uniqueness.
I guess you gotta give the Welsh credit for the fact their whisky is a unique variety. Japanese whisky just tastes like a variety of scotch and Canadian is similarly indistinct.

>midwinter night's dram
I have a bottle of that I've been going through for a year or so. It's okay, but to me it just seems like an inferior Balvenie 12 with a slightly grassier taste.
Might have to hit up Costco so I can give it a second chance, though.

I have been getting in to bourbon more and more actually. Was initially put off by JD in my uni days (ok, not technically a bourbon) but gave it another go recently and I am glad I did. Current favourites are Bulleit and Buffalo Trace, got a bottle of Knob Creek on the way too.

I was initially disappointed with it too, but after spending an evening with it and giving it some time I find it very pleasant. Not one I would drink regularly, but something nice in the dark winter evenings. Or maybe the marketing has gotten to me, who knows! My local Costco started doing Lagavulin 16 again so need to go again soon.

If you're getting into bourbon, try and lay your hands on a bottle of Four Roses. Small Batch is great and Single Barrel is a thing of beauty, but even their cheapest offering, Yellow Label, is impressively good for the price.

I've always wondered this. Why is "gin" a thing.....all it is, is juniper infused vodka. It's as retareded as all the meme fruit vodkas each getting their own special name

I will be sure to look some of that out, thanks user.

I quite like a gin and tonic sometimes, it is very refreshing and easy to drink quite a lot of if thats what you are in the mood for. I am a total pleb though, I just keep a bottle of Bombay Sapphire in and Fever Tree tonic. I even go all out and use the fancy glasses and a wedge of lime to pretend I am sophisticated

All spirits come from clear distillates. The only thing that really defines them is the process they undertake along the way.

Gin's real defining factor is the botanicals that it's infused with, and the fact that historically this infusion originated as a medicinal elixir. It's enough to set it apart as an individual drink, even though I personally dislike it.

Bought this 2 weeks ago. Haven't tried it beside small cup at the vendor's place. It seemed ok. A canadian whisky with mapple.
What do you guys think of it ? Anybody knows this ?

Any of you tied Aberlour 12? On offer at my local supermarket and I am tempted to get a bottle

IIRC nothing exceptionnal, but still a good QRP, easy to drink. Go get a bottle dude and try it.

Haven't had it, but I'm always cautious of liqueurs. More often than not, they're just alcoholic syrup that might have a slight taste of the booze they use as a base.

Never really found a reason to buy a liqueur except for fancy cocktail-making. Certainly wouldn't drink it straight.

I always have a bottle of Aberlour 12 as one of my standard 'cheap' Scotches. Definitely go for it

pig disgusting

I'm picking up a new bottle soon, but I'm not sure what to go for. My choice is between
>Lagavulin 16
>Ardbeg 10
>Eagle Rare
>Evan Williams Single Barrel

What's your recommendation, whis/ck/y?

So, I've generally been a bourbon/rye guy. Bulliet, Woodford Reserve, and Knob Creek have been my go to's.

I'm just now getting into Scotch. I've had Bowmore 15, Laphroig 10, Dalwhinnie 15, and Macallan 12 DC. The Macallan was probably myfavorite. What else is worth trying?

Balvenie 12 Doublewood, Glengoyne 12 and Glenfiddich 15 are all good scotches that should please a newcomer's palate.

yes all of those

But if I had to pick only one?

I got a bottle for an early Christmas present and it's not bad. I enjoyed it neat before brunch or after supper.

I find that the maple flavour does limit it's versatility, but it does have it's uses (Especially when combined with breakfast)

inner house scotch poorfag but this shit is pretty smooth

>tfw too poor to into scotch whiskey

Glenlivet 12, 15 and 18 are great Highland scotches. If you liked the Laphroaig you should try Lagavulin, Bruichladdich and Ardbeg.

I would toss a coin between Ardbeg and Laphroaig

had a bottle of hakushu after a particular convention I set up. Fantastic taste, a bit smokey... delicious! And it was about $80 per bottle at the time. I had 3 shots, and gave a bit away to a friend. Alcoholic roommate drank the rest of it. as well as the rest of a bottle of gifted vodka.

I don't bring alcohol home anymore.

I sympathise with alcoholics right up to the point they start drinking someone else's good booze.

>What are you drinking
Laphroaig 10

>what are you buying
Laphroaig Brodir

>what are you eyeing up?
pic related. Anyone know if it's any good?

Got this as a free sample the other day, looking forward to it, because it sounds like it might be vaguely like Irish Mist which is pretty godly.

Got a bottle of Black Barrel Jameson's for the $18 due to a pricing error. Was trying to get the 1.75 L of Jameson's, but the cashier wasn't having it.

I'm glad she did that. This shit was so much smoother. Shame I've almost drunk it all in 3 days.

>pic related. Anyone know if it's any good?
It's decent. Only way to describe it, really. Not bad, not great, just thoroughly decent.

Depending on what you pay for it, just don't expect it to be amazing and you'll be happy enough. It's inferior to Laphroaig 10 though, I'll say that much.

$10 make u holla

The only person in this thread that knows a damn thing.

Quebec is nice

Personally I would go for the Ardbeg 10, it is about as good as whisky gets without going up a price bracket.

Doesn't feel like it, man. If I knew shit I wouldn't be asking.

Thanks bruh. I've been eyeing Ardbeg for a while but I didn't want to take a gamble on it if Laphroaig or those bourbons outclassed it to any significant degree. It's really that good?

>Laphroaig
Lagavulin*, my bad.

It is a toss up for me if I prefer Lagavulin or Ardbeg, haven't had the two side by side in a while. You can't go wrong with either really.

Ardbeg isn't chill filtered so gives a slightly more pleasant feel in the mouth, and is slightly smokier and fuller bodied than Lagavulin which I find to be a tad smoother.

Both are fantastic. Got a bottle of Ardbeg in my cupboard which I have been enjoying but now you have reminded me I might nip to Costco and pick up a bottle of Lagavulin.

>Quebec is nice

Always thought about visiting.

I'd go for Lagavulin. But take the Ardbeg if it's better priced.

Picked this up in the duty free last month because 1L was going for the price of 70cl of JB white.

Serious dark horse. I expected it to be only a marginal improvement, but this is some seriously decent shit. Flavourful, smooth, sweet and spicy with no unpleasant burn. Recommend.

That stuff is really good, and even the basic JB White is perfeclty acceptable for how cheap it is.

They stopped selling the black here in the Uk for some reason, we get the double oak but it is pretty average.

You can't go wrong with Lagavulin 16

Daily reminder that if you drink whiskey at less than 90 proof you are a pleb

This is how you don't suck at Veeky Forums. Lagavulin is cheap for its flavour.

>muh proof
Go drink everclear if proof matters to you that much. Whiskey is a flavor spirit.

Like you aren't all generic rookies.

What do you guys think is the best buy of these three?
Bulleit (€20)
Johny Walker BL (€20)
Four Roses Single Barrel (€27)

which is why you buy it at higher proof and add water you fucking imbecile

Help!

I want to buy my brother-in-law some whiskey for Christmas, but I have no idea what is good. Can someone provide a list of easy-to-find but still good whiskey? I live in Minnesota, if that helps.

>watering down your alcohol to get the same product as if you'd bought a lower proof bottling
You're a fine one to talk, lad.

Four Roses, easy.

Is he a scotch man or a bourbon man? This is crucial.

Looking for a bottle for my old man for Christmas. Was thinking Yamazaki 12 since we were in Tokyo last year for the holiday and tried some great whiskey together. Looking to spend $70-125. Any other Japanese whiskies I should look at at that price point that's somewhat easy to acquire?

I was also considering just picking up a bottle of Lagavulin 16/Glenlivet 18/Arbelour 18/etc but going straight to the Scotch doesnt have the same personal meaning.

I bought my dad Hibiki for his birthday this year. It was pretty good. It was about $80 at bevmo

Works well though, opens up the flavours a lot.

Won't deny that, but claiming that it's only acceptable to drink high proof whisky and then say you're supposed to water it down is idiocy of the highest degree.

High proof whisky has its own flavours, and should be enjoyed for that. That's the merit of it, not the fact that you're "better" if you drink it.

Found it at a same price as the 10y/o, which I had exactly a year ago. They seem fairly similar, if the QC a bit less powerful on the nose, I remember the 10y/o smelling up the house when I left a few drops in the glass overnight.

where is the best place to buy good whiskey in aus without having to spend $80-$100?

Do you guys enjoy Whisky?

30% is the limit for me before it just becomes rubbing alcohol that I glug to forget about life.
I even bought VSOP Cognac, expecting it to be different. Nope. May as well have bought bottom-shelf vodka.

Currently next to me I have half bottles of

Lagavaulin 16yr

Ardbeg is super peaty

Yes. You learn to get past the burn or you water down to enjoy the flavour. That being said I wouldn't drink non alcoholic whiskey for the flavour.

There is definitely a discernable difference between Whiskey, Gin, Brandy, et cetera, but I feel the 40% overpowers any appreciation of the 60% "impurity". Alcohol overpowers the taste of the barley mash, juniper berries, or wine to the point where it's unpleasant.

I will say, I remember when I tasted alcohol in beer and wine, and now I don't taste it anymore.

I suppose you can learn to get past the burn, but I've spent the same time around spirits as I have around beer, wine and liqueurs (2 years), and spirits still don't appeal to me.

Try getting blackout drunk off of straight Jack Daniels a bunch of times then switch to better stuff. Worked for me!

Try adding a splash of lukewarm water

Had some of this shit a few days back. It was pretty good, but I'm sad that its not sold in Canada anymore because it was really good for the price.
Aberlour A'Bunadh or maybe Bowmore 15 Laimrig if you can find a dram anywhere.
Nah fuck off most Glenlivets are overpriced for the quality.

Macallan Gold is actually really nice despite being NAS, especially if you add a drop of water.
On the other hand Cognac is for rap music videos and actual gangbangers desu

If you can get it i highly recommend the Laphroaig Lore. It's a bit pricey and its NAS, but i have yet to find anything that can beat it for sheer quality.

this, I need muh bourbon because I can't afford to drop $50-$70 on one fucking bottle

I once payed $15 for a shot of Glenlivet 15. Was worth it though

Some toothless old man who was in the same tour group as me at a distillery I visited recommended Auchentoshan. The only one I could get my hands on was their American Oak bottling. I wasn't really impressed.

Yeah I really like it. I find the trick is to add a drop of water to most things and to sip it slowly, hold it in your mouth for a while and then swallow. Shouldn't get any burn at all after the first sip with a decent dram.

Bought this for my dad for christmas, hope he will like it. Generally, he prefer peaty whisky...

If he doesn't, your dad is a tasteless pleb.

I keep buying 1.75l of four roses every so often.

Its like 36 bucks where i live which is the cheapest of the bulliet/wild buffalo/four roses recs ive seen in my time lurking these threads

Im just into liquor to drown my thought a bit without burning my nose a bit while i drink it. I tried a bottle of ardbeg 10 and it was good but just too expensive and my friends wouldnt drink it. I had to go through this whole thing of teaching them about it having a cork which was well worth it though. That was probably my favorite part of wild buffalo too.

Anyway, cheap whiskey recs? Or is this even the right liquor for me?

For cheap stuff Jim Beam white is hard to knock. Tastes perfectly good and at £13 a bottle you can't argue. Buffalo Trace is £18 a go and a big step up, great stuff.

For malts, Aberlour 10 is about £22 and very pleasant. Sometimes the NAS Laphroaigs like Select come down to cheap money on offer too

I found Penderyn tastes like diesel. Not unpleasant, but definitely like diesel.

I consider Johnny Walker Black as cooking whiskey now. Am I too far gone?

Yes.

Cooking whisky shouldn't cost you more than $15 a bottle.

Best bourbon I ever had was Eagle Rare 17. Shit was so cash.

How's this for an introductory Whisky?

Sounds nice.

How'd you like it?

Huh?

pretty terrible but passable in cocktails.

Name some decent starter Whiskies, then. Don't limit it to single malts. Just whatever you think is good everyday sipping Whisky.

Cheap single malts that are good:
>Old Pulteney 12
>Highland Park 12
>Aberlour 10 / 12
>Glenmorangie Original
>Glenliviet Founders Reserve (very cheap, a bit bland but inoffensive)

Good cheap blended whisky:
>Chivas Regal 12
>Johnny Walker Black (not red, thats for mixing)
>Black Bottle
>Islay Mist
>Famous Grouse (best of the bottom shelf)

Good cheap bourbon:
>Jim Beam White
>Buffalo Trace
>Bulleit
>Gentleman Jack (ok not a bourbon, but it is good. Don't drink the normal stuff)

Classic Devon

Sapporo- beginners can have it with soda
Makers Mark with a bit of ice or cool water, tastes like cotton candy
Woodford Reserve,
Jameson - I find beginners like the vanilla and the lightness I still enjoy it straight on a cold winter night

I'm not remotely a snob but whiskies like JB, Canadian club and Johnny Walker are not the best to introduce people to whisky, unless maybe they already like other spirits.

Good lists.

I didn't know that CC wasn't a decent choice for sipping.

The Maker's Mark and the Jameson's sound good.

I went out with a girl that worked at the radio station in Orlando FL in 2000 that drank that like it was sweet tea.

i wish the state that I live in now didnt have the southern ABC board bullshit, and i could get a wider variety of booze without having to buy an entire case of something at once or drive to a major city to possibly get a bottle of something beyond cheap shit, or overpriced good stuff.

there are shitty bars with a wider selection of liquors than the liquor stores here. fucking ABC bullshit.

>old fashioned and other cocktails
Bulleit Rye
Maker's Mark

>neat
Lagavulin 16

I agree for the Aberlour 10 Original, really cheap, but still good, smooth, not the burning feel.

>great highland scotches
>glen

Pls go

You're going to buy scotch for your dad who took you to Japan and you pick a 12 year? Hibiki 17. Have some tact.

For my money, Nikka from the barrel is the best Jap whisky in that price bracket. Yes it's only 50cl rather than 70, but you'll enjoy every damn drop. Hibiki 12 was delicious but the price has gone crazy since the stopped producing it. Their non age stuff might be worth a look but can't comment on quality

Your gonna be putting down about 250 for that though

Ardmore is garbage. It's an Aberdeen whisky so nothing like Laphroaig. No smoke/peat. If you want a Laphroaig alternative that is generally a little cheaper try highland park 12

Yamazaki 12 Year is one of the best Jap whiskys available. Also if you're implying that older whiskys are always better you're so, so wrong