Fast food automation

>be a few weeks ago
>walk into local safeway near my house before work to get breakfast
>in a hurry because I take the bus
>walk over to where self check outs used to be
>floor is covered in marks where they once were
>ask cashier if the store couldn't afford them or something

Nope. Nah. Albertson's just wants to ensure that, I the customer HAS to interact with a cashier. I wake up at fucking 6am and walk to the store. The last thing I want to do is fucking speak with someone until I get to work where I will be paid to.
Fucking MUH CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Where the fuck is all automation at in the US? Why do I still have to talk to someone at a fucking McDonalds? Not to be all *current year* but for fuck's sake, it's almost 2017, and the self check outs are going away?? SHOULDN'T THERE BE MORE OF THEM?

Shouldn't there be a fucking machine to replace every minimum wage job? I used to work a safeway. It was horrible to interact with customers. Customers are the fucking worst.

South Korea has stores where you just scan an item with your phone and its yours. Why the fuck can't we have that? Why the fuck are we still paying for manual god damn labor?

>inb4 you'd be out of a job
GOOD. everyone needs to learn how to use a fucking machine already. Anyone who can't is part of the old generation that is fucking dying out anyways.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland,_Oregon
youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc
computerworld.com/article/2494214/retail-it/walmart--jobs-and-the-rise-of-self-service-checkout-tech.html?page=2
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve_stimulation
youtube.com/watch?v=FxINJzqzn4w
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They somehow found that their implementation of self check out is not as cost effective as the traditional method.

>paying someone is better than just having a machine to do it
I don't understand. I mean, either way, you've got a body there, running it. Also to make sure no one steals.
You pay one time for the machine.
You pay every day to keep a body there. You could ideally have less bodies and more machines since a person can run more than one machine at a time...

the article I read was all about how it's good to have human interaction.
if you want human interaction, talk to your neighbor.

Might be they're getting the vibe that we're not socially ready to accept automation yet. Maybe we're not. We're not really ready to face the choice between some kind of basic income vs feudalism either. The tech is coming faster than we have the social ability to process, I guess. Even poor people like having jobs.

>Even poor people like having jobs.
No one is saying they can't have them but themselves. Everyone has the ability to learn. Even older folks can. I used to work with an 80 year old lady at a call center where we did everything on a computer. She was damn good at her job. She learned how to use a computer just fine.

Nothing but excuses from the whiny public that would much rather throw a tantrum in the check out line because it's easy to get what you want if you berate a person instead of using a machine and paying the normal price like everyone else.

>le DONT talk to me before I drink my coffee in the morning meme

Why are you hating on human interactions and customer service you spaghetti spilling mother fucking autist. Self-checks outs are a hassle and you are basically jewing yourself out for nothing

I didn't say it's better. I said it's not as cost effective. Why that is, I don't know exactly, but I'm 99% sure that's the reason. That's what it always is in business.

I speak with people on the phone for a living. I can speak just fine.

But okay, person who fucking still uses jokes from Always Sunny.

>South Korea has stores where you just scan an item with your phone and its yours. Why the fuck can't we have that?
The Amazon grocery stores are testing that tech now. As to Safeway/Albertsons, I'll bet their shrinkage rates (stolen shit) went up. Every self-checkout clerk I've looked at is pretty braindead and probably wouldn't notice I'm walking out with fancy organic produce while paying for the regular stuff.

Yeah, I don't know. I see nothing wrong with having both types of checkouts. I thought the self-checkouts were a nice way to ease us into the future. Maybe it's just a momentary lapse. Maybe it's a marketing strategy to be more quaint. Maybe those particular stores had theft problems and they're just spinning it another way.

>The Amazon grocery stores are testing that tech now
niiiice.

I've seen a lot of past comments about theft in self check outs but, where I live, most people that steal are just straight up running out the door with the goods. I worked in a safeway deli and would watch the asst manage chase after people who booked it across the street in front of traffic, like almost daily. Loss prevention did jack shit too.

That's the thing that sucks about manual labor. It isn't foolproof.
If the thing is on a screen and you can't have it until you pay for it? You can't steal it.

What? You can just ring up everything as bananas if you wanted and the cashier was too busy to pay attention.

Also, they have to hire more staff to just help people with automation. It is pathetic.

While in college I was a barista at a Starbucks in a grocery store. You have NO IDEA how STUPID more than 50% of the populous is. By the end of my time there, I was convinced people couldn't read. Menu right above my head and people ask "what frappacino flavors do you have?" when it is right above my fucking head.

it's crazy easy to steal prime grade, $45/lb dry aged at self checkout

>deli by weight
>cow tongue
>$8

>You have NO IDEA how STUPID more than 50% of the populous is
>populous

Well now I do.

I think the emerging consensus with self checkout is that it works well for stores & locations with lower rates of shoplifting to begin with, but can backfire badly with stores that already had crime problems. Walmart is scaling back self checkout nationwide, while self checkout is nearly must-have in most middle-upscale grocery stores, unless they're super focused on customer service like with Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.

No, I do. Like I said several times now, I used to work in a Safeway deli. I've also worked at the airport and in various call centers. I know how fucking dump people are. I don't care about those people. I want them to get left behind. I want everyone else to move forward.

They don't have to hire more staff, they're just a bunch of dumb old men who don't know how to run a company and think it's important to say things like "hi, how are you today" to every single person.

And no, you can not make your phone scan something differently. You're pretty dumb yourself because you can't even follow the thread to read properly! I'm talking about the stores in South Korea that you literally, CAN NOT steal from!
Btw, they're doing just fine with these stores. There's no way to switch out the bar codes or any other menial ideas you might have about how to steal.

Shut up low life.

what are these upscale stores that are keeping them?
what store isn't focused on the this fucking ancient tradition of "customer service"?

It's pretty easy to steal a bottle of wine too.
>take $20 wine off shelf
>book it out the store
>grab a rotisserie chicken on the way out
>pay exactly zero dollars
>angry man yells at you from across the street
>cars honk
>sit down at park and have a hell of a picnic

Autocorrect you fuck.
>inb4 phone poster
Clover is objectively better in almost every way than desktop chan these days.

Its just easy to steal

>put whey protein in plastic bag
>ring it up as flour
>save tons of money
>impossible to track at the machine

South Korea is a completely different society which is why I glossed over that statement. Any "peaceful" country like Denmark or South Korea or Japan has over 98% homogenous populous, with almost identical values, cultural backgrounds, race, and religion.

Why do you think 10 million people peacefully assembled to protest President Park in Seoul and not a shot was fired, not a business vandalized? That NEVER happens in the USA, ever.

Same with the honor system of self checkouts. Too many take advantage of the system. It is a cultural thing. Also, what podunk town do you live in where some businesses don't have the smartphone credit app scanner on the chip/credit swipe? Fuck, my grandmother lives in the least populated county in Alabama and they have that kind of thing at her local CVS.

Clover as in the POS system?

Portland, OR. Some places have them and some don't. Some places you can pay with your iphone and some you can't.

Also, I'm more focused on the idea, that the products aren't available for people to grab. IE, you HAVE to pay first before you get the product. That's not a system you can take advantage of.

Yeah but that person working is probably getting paid at or near minimum wage. at 8 dollars an hour thats like 70k. There is no way those a decent machine costs any less than 50k. For a bank of 6? 300k in machines vs the old school setup for a fraction of that? Plus insurance and maintenance and paying for technicians to fix them? Like sure walmart can pay for that but albertsons probably cant.

But they had them?
What did they even do with them?

Like I get what you're saying, but at one point, they managed to pay for them.

But when management in America is quite aware you are stealing and alarms go off, all they can do is try to prevent you from leaving the store without touching you. They cannot make physical contact with a customer they suspect is stealing. Cops only.

Also, unless EVERY product is either in a closed cubby (like the Japanese vegetable vending machines in the countryside farmers fill every morning) or has a plastic security node on there, how do you know when someone swipes it? Also, I don't like how I can't examine a box or product for damage before I can reach it (if there is something physically blocking access to it without a smartphone, which is the only viable way I can fathom anti-theft being as full proof as you state. I have family who lives in South Korea and Hong Kong and what they describe is the cubby system and only at select stores)

As others who you haven't responded to stated, there are many ways to cheat self checkout.

>muh Portland has smartphone app payment.
So you didn't read where my grandmother who lives in a town with a population of 28 has a pharmacy that has this option?

And according to Wiki they have a high population of whites and Asians and segregate blacks and Hispanics and natives to the Jefferson and Roosevelt school districts which is 80% non white. Love how "progressive" states are some of the most guilty of gentrification and segregation.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland,_Oregon

Theyll sell them probably. I bet those maintenance costs are high enough that it makes sense to just eat the cost of replacing them.

damn dude you get really worked up about people doing something in a way you don't like!

>Also, what podunk town do you live in where some businesses don't have the smartphone credit app scanner on the chip/credit swipe?
It sounded like you made the assumption I am in a small town. I'm not. Even then, not all stores here have that option. And the city is big, but not large.

Yes, Portland is mostly white folks. I'm not one of them! I don't know what to tell you about fucking racism, dude. I usually don't acknowledge it because what is the point when everyone is just an extremist about it?

Cubby system sounds pretty good. It's only in select stores because they're still perfecting it. Also, we haven't moved fast as we could have. I feel like people like you hold us back.

I didn't respond to some comments because they were already telling me what I already know. Yes, I know you can out smart the self check out and steal everything under bananas and flour. WOW. We've literally had several threads about that in the past. Do you even lurk?

I still don't get why we shouldn't progress towards automation? Which is my point. maybe not self check outs if they just aren't working in your opinion and make theft more accessible. Maybe make videos of products that live stream through out the stores, that way you can look at the product, make sure it's in tact, move the camera around it on the screen, make sure the bread isn't bad?

God. Why is it so bad to want the future to happen? Why is society so set on being stuck the way it is.

>automate all the service jobs
>send all the manufacturing jobs overseas

>WHY DONT YOU GET A JOB LAZY BUM.

What the actual fuck are you on about?

You should see how people react when you don't grab the perfect chicken tender for them.

They're pissed because they like being able to stand in line and throw a fit if they think something costs too much and they want to grope every single produce item in the store to make sure it's of proper quality.

youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

SOON

jesus christ talk to a therapist if you are this socially anxious. most normal people don't think twice about this kind of stuff. you have to say like 5 words total. who fucking cares.

in the future you'll just mark all the shit you put in your cart and just walk out and it'll charge your card as you go through the doors

I live on the south side of Chicago and the Jewel (they are owned by Albertson's) put in self checkout lanes. They lasted like a month, it was open season on all their merchandise. People were literally just walking out not giving a fuck and the place became so crime ridden they lost most of their paying customers.

I can only imagine how much negotiating they had to do with the union to get those things installed and it wound up being an absolute disaster. That Jewel is still a nightmare shithole but they do good business despite being within shouting distance of much better options.

>God. Why is it so bad to want the future to happen? Why is society so set on being stuck the way it is.

It's not a matter of people not wanting progress, it's a matter of the current state of self check out in one particular chain of stores not giving them the return on investment they expected. That's it. If you really love self check out that much then go to stores that have it, nobody is making you go to Albertsons. Who knows, maybe this will be a huge mistake for them and they put it back again, or go out of business to make way for another chain that uses self check out.

>I live on the south side of Chicago
why?

>need some plexiglass
>go to home depot
>ask if they would cut it for me
>they won't
>there's only one cashier, the rest are self checkout lanes
>go to lowe's that's right behind the home depot
>they cut the plexiglass for me
>no self check out, only cashiers
>same exact price as home depot
fuck penny pinching stores.

What the fuck kind of reading comprehension do you have where you thought I was an old fuck against self checkout? I'm not, not at all. I seem to know more about how they actually function in Asian countries vs OP.

I'm saying the general populous of America has too radically polarizing morality and cultural concepts to make it work in some stores where the average age of the shopper is a Baby Boomer. People 94 years old like my grandmother are willing to learn and work with tech, but a surprising number of their kids aren't.

Or that corporate scum of grocery America is unwilling to pour some money back into their own business to keep up the expense of self checkout. Walmart can't even pay its own full time entry employees enough to keep us taxpayers from having to subsidize their shitty wage with public assistance.

Please. I can go through a checkout line without saying one word and still get the cute cashier's number. I agree though. OP needs to pay somebody to listen to this.

Well I've lived there most of my life for one. Its not that bad really.

>walking out with fancy organic produce while paying for the regular stuff.
>white crime

next you'll tell me englewood is your favorite hang out spot.

It's the one on his way to work. Certain types of people have difficulty making simple changes in their daily routines.

well I was talking to OP, not you.

The wood isn't as bad as it used to be, they even got a Whole Foods. But no, I dont go there. Why would anyone?

They removed them at my albertsons too. Really annoying because now I can feel the pity from people as I buy a bunch of 40s and a microwavable bowl of mac and cheese.

>Eliminate all the unskilled, useless labor jobs just as has always happened through the advent of technology
>Cry because now you have to learn an actual skill to get a good job
You can always be a janitor or trashman, user.

why would anyone live in the south side? are you black or a student at university of chicago or IIT?

>translation: niggers and spics kept stealing.

I already stated that this doesn't have to do with anxiety. I work on the phone, SPEAKING WITH PEOPLE CLEARLY AND CONCISELY. Do I need to upload a god damn vocaroo for you fuckheads?

This. I walk everywhere. I could go to the Fred Meyers, but that isn't on my way to work. That would make me late for work. I have a small time frame from my house to my job.

It's a safeway, they're just owned by Albertsons.

>just buy more money and get an education if you want a job

Remember when newspapers were a thing you could actually make a living off delivery? I do. My mom did that shit when I was a kid. I'm not even that old.

But that ain't a thing anymore. Good fucking riddance.

I watch the last season of the Wire and laugh my god damn ass off because it's so fucking dated.

Time moves things along. Get into it or get left behind, I say.

Full automation is on the works and coming soon.

>MUH JOBS

Yeah, now these stupid shit people can just get OTHER JOBS that will serve a better purposes than putting food in bags (something the customer should have been doing all along, and I do every time anyway as a customer at a grocery store).

Same. I just repack everything after the cashier does it. Or I got to Winco where I'm gonna bag it myself because they know that customers are capable.

Did you know brain and heart surgeons are equally replaceable by automation and robots as a grocery cashier/bagger?

>why multiculturalism doesn't work- explained on a cooking image board

They should get on that, then. Instead of paying asshole millions of dollars to do it. I used to work for a company that did medical non-emergency transportation for those whose health care covered it.
People were fucking competing to get dr appts that were necessary. If they couldn't get to their appt for whatever reason, I'd have to hear someone's sob story about how they had to wait a month to get the same appt.

meanwhile their doctor has two fucking condos and god knows how many cars and they go on fucking vacation as much as they want.

Replace those fuckers with a machine. Please.

>south korea has self scan automation but US is removing them

Big fucking surprise. How newfag are you? People on Veeky Forums brag about the fact they rip the grocer self check all the time. In Japan and South Korea, they don't do that. You can leave your handbag on a park bench in Japan for hours, and the only possibility of it being stolen is some gaijin.

You want to know what's rotten about 'murrica? It ain't illegal aliens.

So much are checkups and diagnosing a good computer can cut down on time and help on prevention.

I like self check-out. but the local variant of Albertson's did away with it in my area years ago. Now, only ONE supermarket in my area has it. Even other locations of that same chain don't have it anymore. Just the one. It's sad.

The only reason I dislike the old way is because the lines... go... so... fuckin'... slowly. Why not do it as it's done at the bank? You know: one queue. When you get to the front, you move down to the next available cashier. It'd go a helluva lot faster, I'd bet.

There's a store in China (Shanghai, I think) using facial recognition technology. To shop there, you need to join a club, like a Costco or something. When you join, they scan your face and, I think, retinas (IINM).
Then, you walk in. Fill your trolley. Go to the till. Have the till-worker handle your items. A machine scans your face and charges your club account. And you leave. Quick. No need to fumble with cash or cards.

Still, I have a pretty good idea for automated check out: no till at all.
The cart/trolley would have a built in credit card chip reader. To get the cart from the corral, you insert your credit card and it gets released. You walk around the store, grabbing this and that. If you want something, you scan it at the cart with its built in scanner and drop it in. It will detect the weight of the item you're attempting to buy to see if its weight matches that of the product description, similar to how regular self-checkout tills work.
When you leave the store, the credit card is charged. You take your items to your car. Return the cart to the corral and your card is returned to you.
No fuss. No muss.
I think that'd be nice.

>Any "peaceful" country like Denmark or South Korea or Japan has over 98% homogenous populace, with almost identical values, cultural backgrounds, race and religion.

Canada?

But weren't you the one just going on about how these baggers should put effort into getting a "skilled" job? Unless I confused you with another poster. By every definition the skill you're mentioning is a surgeon.

Or are you of the philosophy that humanity shouldn't find all their self worth in what they do for intangible money? There is no gold standard to back currency, it is invisible worth. We need to be talking about this sooner than later as tech advances in leaps and bounds, like human mechanical augmentation. My sister is already a "cyborg" with a brain implant for epilepsy, it's happening faster than we know

>China
>Government or private huge corporations having your individual facial features to give you permission to purchase items
>this is a good thing.

I wouldn't feel comfortable shopping like that, especially in Shanghai. Phones pushing fingerprints as the only method to access a smartphone without context of how this information is stored or spread is enough to make you hesitate already. Remember that Apple and NSA were really cushy with private user info in 2014?

Yes please. I'd like you to read the Navy Seal copypasta. Right now you sound angry enough to give a really good rendition.

And yet most stores now have the self-checkouts because money saved in labor completely offset the increased shrinkage.
You go from having to pay 6 cashiers to having to pay 1 person to manage 6-12 self-checkouts.

I think you may have confused me for another poster... but still. A skilled job could be anything. In this case, it sounds like someone putting together the kind of machine that could preform open heart surgery. A machine could be more precise. Surgeons are expected to have steady hands. My friend who was going to school to study to be a surgeon told me he didn't have steady hands. I was like, man, what? That guy is in the wrong field. Yet, as long has he gets his stupid degree, he can make millions. That's annoying as shit.

I'm all for human mechanical augmentation. I want it. Make me a fucking computer already.
And I'm glad people like your sister have hope with advances like that. Did that brain implant help her?

>make sure no one steals
hahaha that never happens user. I am honest but many people are not and the stores can lose a lot of money that way. plus most stores to peddle customer service as number 1, so its no surprise they want the things to go away.

This is something you should read, it's actually pretty interesting
computerworld.com/article/2494214/retail-it/walmart--jobs-and-the-rise-of-self-service-checkout-tech.html?page=2

I thought you were If so, maybe I misinterpreted the post.

Thanks for asking. She has had a dozen or so seizures over the past 5 years while her neurologist "calibrated" it to a good frequency. Actually she's not had a seizure since March of this year, longest she's gone in quite some time.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve_stimulation

But relating to OP, I just feel like the majority of America (which doesn't include you or me) isn't ready or would take advantage of exclusively self checkout. I'm all for automation too, but see why businesses opt out of it and why 2016 is a trying year for using them.

Hence why I refuse to use them since I don't get any kind of discount for using them and have to do extra work so that they can save 5 yearly salaries that they just pocket

glad your sister is doing better!

I agree with you that most America isn't ready. But I hate most of America for this very reason.

>Lots of customers talked about the self-service checkout lanes, wrote Albertsons in 2011, "but mostly" it was about how the checkout lanes "'take jobs away from people.'" Some also complained that it lessened the customer experience.
Signed people that have never worked in face to face customer service.

I would love to know how many people on their facebook page actually had those kinds of jobs at some point in their life and how much they actually enjoyed dealing with some asshat that doesn't want to pay full price for their frozen pizza and doesn't understand why their coupon doesn't work because they were too stupid to read the fine print. Fuck those people.

There is no customer service experience that they are painting the picture of. That is what pisses me off the most. Sure, there are customers who don't say anything or are nothing but nice. But they rarely make up for the ones who throw food at you or scream and throw literal tantrums in front of you. And that wasn't just stuff that happened to me. It happened to my coworkers too.

Typical customer, always looking for a god damn hand out.

>he thinks self checkout lines were ever a good idea
>makes angry little entitled rant about talking to people as if you have to sit there and actually talk to cashiers

>There are corporations who actually believe this

youtube.com/watch?v=FxINJzqzn4w

I mean, I guess I could just be a rude, cold asshole and not say anything.

it's only when I go to work. Any other time and I'm not gonna do my grocery shopping there.
I've made fast food automation threads in the past but this did happen recently and yes, I use the self checkout because I want to have my headphones on so I can listen to my shows. I don't want to pause my show because I need to hear when to scan my fucking club card or to tell the cashier, yeah, you can leave out my drink.

I love me some Billy Burr. I do.

But that call center thing is all wrong. I never ever wanted anyone to curse at me. When they did I was like oh shit, because I never wanted to end the call, I wanted to get them to confirm stuff.

Not to pick apart a fucking stand up comedy bit, but he only knows one side of that situation.
I had several people cold transferred to me on a daily basis even though it was company policy NOT to cold transfer people and I would have to do exactly what he said and that shit was irritating to me. Especially when I didn't have an answer for the person and the reason they got transferred in the first place is because some fuckhead in another state, didn't have answer to the persons question!
Fucking absolute madness.

One time a lady got transferred to me and it was about insurance. I didn't do that. That wasn't my job and I couldn't really give her more information about what happened other than "well, looks like that wasn't covered by your insurance??"
but I made sure to get her contact number incase she magically got transferred again, I put her on hold, I fucking begged my supervisor to tell me what the fuck was going on and how to help her and of course, he did the typical bullshit sup thing to do, and then I had to send an email about what she was telling me on the phone. She also told me I managed to help her more than anyone else had.

I fucking ALWAYS got a contact number. Always. Shows you fucking give a damn.

>rambling idiot continues to attention whore and ramble on about his meaningless life as if anyone gives a fuck

>WAAAAH BLOG POSTING WAAAH
you sound like you belong on /cgl/

I am willing to pay more and go to king kullen because they have better self checkout machines than stop and shop

I want as little interaction with service people as possible

Autism

>get your phone stolen
>???
>suicide

>Not to be all *current year* but for fuck's sake, it's almost 2017,
fuck off, cancer.

>South Korea has stores where you just scan an item with your phone and its yours. Why the fuck can't we have that?
because in western, developped countries, it would take 3 days for someone to copy/crack the app and get everything for free because the store has nobody paid to check anything and the false bank account can be made to look like one of the legal small percent bugs in the system.

You could enact a degree of responsibility. You can leave a little earlier, or perhaps stock up on the necessary product so you do not have to go there daily.

It is OK to acknowledge you do not want to change your routine, little autistic one. But that will not fix anything.

>World goes into automation
>Cashiers get hours cut and are relegated into more menial work
>Technology keeps improving until there are few complaints
>Suddenly a store comes up with an amazing idea
>We here at x value our costumers too much to let a machine handle their needs
>So we are replacing all machines for traditional human employees
>Every stores copies them
>The wheels of capitalism keep turning

It feels good that my profession only has a 30% chance of being automated in the future

>systems administrator

Enjoy my lazy parientes chicanos and negros stealing and mugging people on the street because no job

Go away.

hope you like roopies and sitting streets cause all "admin" jobs are relocated in India these days. They can do your job from afar no problem.

>They somehow found that their implementation of self check out is not as cost effective as the traditional method.

Exactly this.

Large businesses only make decisions based off the bottom line.

Nope they tried it at my company, failed miserably.

>mfw team of Indians couldn't do the job of one lazy American

But then again, I don't have fake education credentials and certs like our friends in India have, mine are actually real :)

>person who fucking still uses jokes from Always Sunny

wtf are you talking about

Costing in businesses is a lot more complex than you realise. Those machines likely aren't purchased, more than likely will be on a hire purchase basis, then there is service contracts, relevant insurance, repair callouts, huge amounts of training, technology integration efforts - the list goes on.

for me it's the McChicken. The best fast food sandwich.

>zero knowledge of economics: the post

prove him wrong. Good luck without namedroping your mom and other irrelevant personal experience.

He's an imbecile that think his life = the world, just like medicated autists and toddlers do.