How much of a meme are carbon steel pans?

How much of a meme are carbon steel pans?

Am I better off sticking to cast iron?

Other urls found in this thread:

foodal.com/kitchen/pots-pots-skillets-guides-reviews/guides/what-is-the-best-pan-for-searing-or-browning/
youtu.be/s10etP1p2bU?t=206
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

doesn't matter what you use

it's all a meme and people who say otherwise are trolls

>it's all a meme and people who say otherwise are trolls

I always wonder if people who speak in internet jibberish have had their brain chemistry permanently altered by it.

well, that's disheartening

I wish these meme thread making retards would just fuck off.

>>doesn't matter what you use

what matters is our pan

It's all a bunch of children who can't cook or afford to eat anything nice, so who cares about their opinion.

Anyway, I have the pan in OP's pic and one just like it I inherited from my grandparents and enjoy both of them more than any non-enameled cast iron I've ever owned.

don't listen to him.

ceramic cast iron pans are 100% superior and the best you can get.

it's about mass and heat retention. a pan that weighs 6 pounds, once it's been heated up and you drop food into it, it doesn't instantly cool off like a thin aluminum pan would. it retains heat and transfers it.

that's why people like

really don't know what they're talking about.

Underrated post.

for you

underrated representations of quantity

Lighter than cast iron, just go into a restaurant supply house store and pick one up for a few dollars, they're about $20. You can pick up a pre-seasoned one from Lodge online, but they're a few bucks more, in case you're the 99.9% here who doesn't like interacting with the public.

>Am I better off sticking to cast iron?
basically yeah, if you have cast iron there is no real use for carbon steel for you

>carbon steel
Its stainless steel you witless yank

>retarded yurocuck doesn't know what he's talking about
Carbon steel and stainless steel are different things, buddy.

Anyway OP i have a carbon steel pan and overall I quite like it. The main difference is that the handle is much longer than the one on a cast iron pan, which makes it easier to work with. Realistically there's little other differences.
Oh, and its easy to find carbon steel pans with smooth surfaces. Everyone making cast iron pans seem to make rough surface pans.

I think you are just as retarded.

The user was, I assume, trying to point out that the Pan in the OP is NOT Carbon Steel (Which it isn't) and incorrectly identified it as Stainless (which it's not either).

Glad that's cleared that up.

so what the fuck is it, idiot?

>so what the fuck is it, idiot?
That's not very nice.

I tried to check, it appears to be some sort of iron alloy with a 'mystery mineral' ???

I thought cast iron was a meme and now that I have one I use it whenever possible.

It's carbon steel, you fucking nonce.

foodal.com/kitchen/pots-pots-skillets-guides-reviews/guides/what-is-the-best-pan-for-searing-or-browning/

From de buyer's homepage:

>Mineral B Element utensil in heavy quality iron coated with beeswax: organic protective finish against oxidation, facilitates seasoning.

So, carbon steel with a wax finish

The mystery mineral is your dead brain cells dripping out your nose and drying out.

>It's carbon steel, you fucking nonce.
That's not very nice.

NO.

And Again NO!

If it was carbon steel, there is no reason for the company not to mention it. even the greentext you put, doesn't prove it's carbon steel.

You kiddies do realise that not all iron alloys are carbon steel right?

no one should be this lonely to troll this poorly. Call a goddamn friend, or a support line.

Nobody is trolling, you are just upset at having been called out.

"Hurr durr it's carbon steel because I think it should be."

It's obviously NOT carbon steel or stainless steel, other wise the manufacturers would have no qualms in mentioning it as they are both weel used in the food industry.

It's another undisclosed alloy . . .get over it.

It's iron (aka it doesn't contain enough carbon to call it steel) But it's marketed for people looking for a carbon steel pan.

Uh, user, hate to be THAT guy, but there are a lot of different pans.

>It's iron (aka it doesn't contain enough carbon to call it steel) But it's marketed for people looking for a carbon steel pan
I won't disagree at the market. but they make a thing about their 'natural mineral' so it obviously has a larger amount of this than carbon(or they would call it carbon steel) and it obviously has more 'mineral' than chromium (otherwise they would call it stainless steel)..
They quite plainly have made an iron alloy which they are not disclosing.

what a lovely, lovely joke

I own carbon steel, stainless steel, cast iron enamel, non-stick anpodized, etc...

They all have things they're good at. Just learn to use the correct pan for each application.

>tfw you find you the aluminium pans you use at work used to be Teflon coated...

>non-stick anpodized

Yuri Andropovized pans are probably the best. They're stoic, non reactive and cook a good peasants meal.

If you're gonna be a fence sitter, at least acknowledge that some pans have certain advtanges over others.

2bh you need one heavy pan (cast iron or carbon steel, both are fine), one light one (aluminum, stainless, copper), a sauce pan (maybe) and a stock pot (maybe). I don't see the need for anything past this.

the horror

I have a DeBuyer pan - I love it. Just like cast iron it makes amazing steak, chops, burgers, eggs, pancakes, etc... better than stainless or non-stick for any of those purposes. I have had it for around 5 years now and I am quite comfortable deglazing it with wine or something without worrying about the patina, although I will still normally avoid strong acids like lemon juice. I normally use stainless if I am cooking something that is sauce heavy or involves long simmering.

Cast iron is good too, but is heavier to the point of being unwieldy, usually rough finished so you can't use it on a glass stovetop, and has a short handle that heats up requiring a mitt or something to prevent burns.

I only have a de buyer + stainless in my kitchen and have never felt the need to get a non-stick or cast iron.

good response, thank you senpai

Are carbon steel pans the best egg pan? I already have a 10" lodge cast iron, but it's hard to use when making an omelette using Jacques Pepin's method.

youtu.be/s10etP1p2bU?t=206

legit as fuck

so a meme

I need an omelet, NOW!

Teflon is the best egg pan. Carbon steel and cast iron both have bad heat distribution. Ply stainless can be okay if you baby it, but who has time for that?

Just get a Tefal and throw it away when the coating wears down.