/Coffee/

I'm curious about your French press method.

What I do for a single cup

>Coarse grind
>1:16 ratio (16 grams coffee/ 250ml water)
>Boil water, let it sit so it goes down to around 92-94*
>Pour all of the water
>At 1min. break the crust on top and stir it up a little
>Let is sit for another 3min.
>Press

I can't notice any difference between letting it bloom for 30sec before pouring the rest of the water or not.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Cuisinart-CHW-12-Programmable-Coffeemaker-Stainless/dp/B003KYSLMC/
amazon.com/dp/B00MVWGQX0/ref=psdc_289745_t1_B003KYSLMC
theroasterspack.com/blogs/news/15409365-10-differences-between-robusta-arabica-coffee
legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/content/use-all-five-senses-determine-degree-roast-0
coffeechemistry.com/general/agronomy/differences-arabica-and-robusta-coffee
seattlecoffeegear.com/saeco-via-venezia-espresso-machine
yourbestdigs.com/reviews/best-french-press/
thekitchn.com/3-mistakes-people-make-when-brewing-french-press-coffee-207337
craftcoffee.com/how-to-make-coffee/french-press-brew-guide
amazon.com/SterlingPro-Double-Stainless-French-Coffee/dp/B00MMQOZ1U#customerReviews
youtube.com/watch?v=YGjjcSwX3JM
youtube.com/watch?v=6Gns9HtHc5w
amazon.com/Espro-Press-P5-Durable-Stirring/dp/B01FB2CNDI
foodal.com/drinks-2/coffee/french-press/espro-review/
youtube.com/watch?v=EWQXc2acBk4
coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/espropress/BoldJava
youtube.com/watch?v=5EgMAgsZA1c
youtube.com/watch?v=st571DYYTR8
espro.ca/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Did I fuck up for picking the Mini mill over the Skerton.

I heard the spring in the mini makes for more consistent grind.

You have to let it bloom for 32 seconds. Those two seconds make all the difference

I have an auto-grind programmable coffee maker because I couldn't deal with a Freedom Press in the morning. 4 minute steep though is pretty standard.

What kind? Those seem a bit on the pricey end.
And yeah a press in the morning before work is a bit much, I just make espresso then.

Cuisinart Grind & Brew 12-Cup, worth the price. Best part is setting it up at night for the following morning. That coffee smell permeates my whole apartment before I'm even out of bed.

I don't hate on french pressers, I used to be one but gave my away to a friend...but an auto-grind is the boss.

Oh, it's a drip machine. Thought you meant an automatic espresso, those are up there in price as far as I know.
Still, auto-grind into a pot must be awesome. Having it freshly grounded is half the battle.

I don't bother with espresso drinks because I'm lactose intolerant and drink my coffee black. I buy mild/medium beans for maximum caffeine content.

I start by washing my press in warm water before carefully placing in the appropriate recycling bin, because I am ecologically conscious.

Then I use my $4 Melitta pour over to make a better cup of coffee with less fussing around

So how long does it take to pore the water?

What coffee maker would you guys recommend for the 60-120 price range? Looking to upgrade my old Mr. Coffee.
Doesn't need to have an auto-grinder.

I'm looking at these two right now:

amazon.com/Cuisinart-CHW-12-Programmable-Coffeemaker-Stainless/dp/B003KYSLMC/

amazon.com/dp/B00MVWGQX0/ref=psdc_289745_t1_B003KYSLMC

Having the water heater would be nice for teas but I'm just trying to get the best tasting coffee for the cost.

I personally feel that blooming for french presses isnt necessary.

Cause the idea behind blooming is to release the gases so that more even extraction can occur. And with pourovers that makes sense because the water is only contacting the grounds for a few secs before dropping into the cup.

But for french presses, the grounds are completely immersed for the whole brewing duration. I wouldnt bother unless you find that the crust formed is lifting too much coffee above the surface of the water. Which could happen with coffee roasted within the past few days.

I use a 100 year old Arcade Crystal crank grinder and a Cafe Gaggia espresso machine and I'm still often disappointed. I need to replace my thermostats.

Aw hellllllll no.
>At 1min. break the crust on top and stir it up a little
NO - Do not do this. If you want, you can add 50% water, wait 30 sec to 1 min, stir and add 50% water
>Let is sit for another 3min.
OK - 4:00 minutes total brewing time
>Press
NO - take a spoon and remove (skim) all of the grounds at the top. This helps in avoiding overextraction and bits of crap in your pour.

Then plunge and pour all coffee. Don't leave it in the carafe.

PROTIP - If you're not using a burr grinder, you're doing it wrong.

For me it is the Folgers K-Cup, the best fast coffee brew

I would recommend that you throw that crap in the trash and try a french press, pour-over or aeropress.

Drip coffee is the trailer trash of coffee makers, prone to overextraction (bitter taste that makes your tongue swell). The only way to combat this is to use a shit ton of grounds.

5 seconds to wet the grounds, 5 seconds to wait and 20-25 seconds to fill the basket.

45-60 seconds to clear the filter

5 seconds to toss the filter/contents and rinse and stow away

Water boils at 88 celsius faggot
t. biotechnician

What kind of kettle do you use?

I have a french press and baritza encore at work.

For 1 Cup: Grind 35g of fresh roasted beans at the "30" setting on the baritza encore and boil water. Pour in 350 g water in. Stir the pot, place lid on, and push the grounds down to submerge. Steep for 5 minutes (long, but i like it that way). Press and pour.

I usually get a fresh roasted blend from whole foods. Not fancy, but generally smoother and more drinkable than specialty roasters.

the kind you buy for $11 at Target or whatever. the little whistle top broke off and that made me sad

My family has had pic related for about 5 years now. It's served us well for making coffee and tea, but I wouldn't say it makes amazing tasting coffee or anything.

2 tbsp of fine grind
9oz boiling water poured over
stir down the floaters and foam
5 mins
strain

Two cups of 1:20 on coffee drinking days.

18g of coarse ground coffee, 355ml of water.

I always sleep great.

I have heard about removing the grounds at the top, I'll try it
Damn that's a lot of coffee

Huh?

>french press
>1:25 ratio (20g coffee/ 500ml water)
>boil water till the steam starts to sting
>during winter, boil water to 212F because it's fucking cold out
>pour water
>swish grounds and water slurry vigorously until brown foam comes up
>wait 3 minutes and press
>pour and add 1/2 tbsp of cream

If my drip machine coffee is coming out too acidic, does that mean I'm over-extracting it?

Under. Either that or you are using a lighter roast. Go darker if you dont like acidic coffee.

Thank you espresso-user with that ridiculously expensive grinder and manual espresso machine, these beans make amazing espresso!

Trying to get grind settings and brew time correct now but it is still a fine cup. Any suggestions on how to do this without drinking a lot of espresso in a short period of time?

Eh, it's a "medium" roast. Should I try a finer grind? I'm already using like two tbsp of beans for 1.5 cups of water

Im not sure if your ratios are right cause i do them by weight. 1:14 - 1:16 water to grounds depending on your perference.

But if you are within that range and its still acidic. Either go finer ground size, or get a darker roast. Most people are accustomed to full city.

Just poured myself a cup brewed with a finer grind, tastes much nicer but still acidic which I guess it's just the way this roast is. Good thing I also got myself a dark roast bag.
Thanks for your help.

No worries. Most of us would be kind of geared towards darker roasts because thats what most coffee houses and even instant coffee uses. But give it time and you may grow to like the med to light roasts. Cause thats where you start tasting distinctive fruitiness and complexity.

Is there a difference between the taste of an aeropress coffee and a french press coffee?

Yeah I guess.

I totally agree with this user.
For me dark roast coffee beans are the same as dark toasted bread or super well done steak, they are burned.
How tasty is piece of dark burned toast bread.
How tasty is burned steak. All the flavours are gone.
Medium roasted coffee beans in my opinion reveal much more flavours than dark roast.

Most coffee beans are roasted to dark because they are of lesser quality and have not much of flavours in them so medium roast will taste very flat,
so the industry trick is to roasted dark and you get that "illusion" of flavour.

I did experimented with dark and medium roast 100% Arabica beans and definitely medium roast was the most pleasing.
You can roast green beans yourself to medium and dark and taste the difference see if you like it dark or medium.
Roasting coffee beans in your own kitchen just to experiment is so easy and fun, and the smell is pleasantly intoxicating.

Also I was told that lighter roast beans retain more caffeine in them.
I'm going to try "blond roast" one day, but from my one time testing at Starbucks it was too flat.
I have to do that at home and experiment with the same beans roasted to blond and medium just to taste the difference in flavours.
The level of caffein is almost impossible to check at home just by drinking without special analysis.

Here is very interesting article.
10 DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ROBUSTA & ARABICA COFFEE.
theroasterspack.com/blogs/news/15409365-10-differences-between-robusta-arabica-coffee

Use All Five Senses To Determine Degree of Roast.
legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/content/use-all-five-senses-determine-degree-roast-0

Light Roast Best Roast for drinking coffee black.

Medium or Dark for mixing with cream, sugar, etc.

Medium - Dark is a better "after dinner" coffee since they have less caffeine content. Light is the better morning coffee because it jacks your shit up.

I drink all my coffee black.

Depending on how you measure/weigh your coffee it could have more or less. But the difference is a couple of milligrams, which you aren't likely to notice.

Here’s a list featuring 10 differences between the two coffee species:

The most commonly known: Taste. Often Robusta has its taste described as burnt tires or rubbery, which… sounds disgusting (can you imagine one of our taste swatches on the front page being a burnt tire?).
Why the bad taste?
One reason that the taste isn't as good for Robusta is that it has more caffeine compared to Arabica. Which may sound like a positive thing but caffeine carries a bitter taste which makes it an unpleasant drink.
In fact the Robusta bean has 2.7% caffeine content, almost double the 1.5% of Arabica.

Lipid & Sugar content: As mentioned here, Arabica contains almost 60% more lipids and almost twice the concentration of sugar than Robusta.
This factor also probably has a big impact on why we prefer the taste of Arabica.
From a price perspective, green beans of Robusta is about half the price of Arabica green beans on the commodity market. (Robusta vs. Arabica)

Robusta is easier to tend to on the farm, has a higher yield and is less sensitive to insects - the extra caffeine is a chemical defense for the coffee seed as the quantity in the Robusta is toxic to bugs.

In fact the Robusta bean has 2.7% caffeine content, almost double the 1.5% of Arabica.

>between the two coffee species

?????

Can somebody recommend a decent dark roast I can order off amazon?
Doesn't have to be crazy or anything, just a simple stocking stuffer for christmas.

interesting factoid

Starbucks’ coffee is actually usually arabica, not robusta! It’s bitter because their coffee is essentially exclusively a dark roast, which is achieved by roasting (burning) the beans longer.
They do this because they buy the low end arabica from whomever sells it cheaply (possibly with some good stuff in there),
mix it all together, and burning the beans gives it a more consistent flavor (even if that flavor is burnt).

FYI: This is usually why brands will have a dark roast. A dark roast usually isn’t very good and, more often than not, is ruining the coffee.

Differences between Arabica and Robusta Coffee.

coffeechemistry.com/general/agronomy/differences-arabica-and-robusta-coffee

picture/ Arabica on the left Robusta on the right

Question: I have a decent DeLonghi espresso machine and I'm looking for an upgrade for Christmas. There's a Breville machine on my works break room and I learned to use the non pressurized filter and proper grinding /tamping to pull a nice shot.
Is the Breville a good buy? If not recommend other options.

I don't know what your budget is but I would go to a Gaggia Classic personally If I wanted to upgrade to a non-pressurized filter.

Just to add, hope you have a good grinder in any case for a non-pressurized portafilter.

I see. My budget is about $600. Like I said the grinder worked fine for that machine and was able to do proper shots with the non pressurized filter.

I've been happy with my Saeco Via Venezia

seattlecoffeegear.com/saeco-via-venezia-espresso-machine

take a look at this please

Manual filter coffee with a mesh screen is fine, it's most of the automatic machines that are garbage.

The arabica/robustia quality meme was a hoax forced onto the American public by coffee canneries like Yuban. Tons of great blends use robusta.

Starbucks uses dark roasts because that was what was popular twenty years ago before Americans really had a coffee vocabulary. Tastes have moved on, even Starbucks is peddling medium-lights roasts for certain products these days.

it's an OK consumer grade machine. and if you've used it already and are happy with the results why not get one. you don't need our blessing, be an adult

I've been using the Mini for about 3 years now and it's really a solid mill. Probably the best for its price. The only thing bothering me is that it just takes too fucking long. Grinding the amount needed for a double espresso takes around 5 minutes.

I'm not kidding but the side benefit is the hand/arm exercise especially if you can switch hands.

They're both absolute shit. You fucked up by not saving up for a Feldgrind instead.

Guys I have this craving when making coffee in stove top espresso. I like to grind into the coffee some black pepper and sprinkle some cinnamon.
How much black pepper, maybe 1/4 of flat teaspoon and same amount of cinnamon.
I just like the hit I get from them drinking my brew.
Please don't hate me for it.

OK so personally I drink drip coffee but I decided to pick up a french press for my parents for Christmas. Thing is that I'm kind of poor so I only dropped $30 on it. Is it worth keeping or should I return it and get them something better?

e means Fahrenheit m8

post a picture or link to it,model brand, but for $30 I think you can get a decent unit

Its a trudeau maison
Couldnt find much reviews but what I did was positive

here I found this for $37US doing quick google search
The Best French Press Coffee Maker.

Great thanks for the help! Theres a little coffee place not too far from me so I'll check them out for a better model. Happy holidays!

Looks like descent model, you can check your local coffee roasting shop if you have one where you live,
thing with french press is that the seal between the glass and the movable screen part should be very tight so the coffee grinds don't escape into the liquid section and the screen is of good quality.
So maybe few dollars more can get bit better model. Coffee makers like those will last many years so is wort it to add few more dollars and get reputable proven model.
Nothing fancy from design point but good quality materials and assembly.
Maybe do some research and read reviews and if you can add few more bucks and get something that has lot's of great reviews.

Looks that the link I posted has good selection with professional reviews, if you cannot order via internet maybe you can pick up one of their recommended model in your price range in your town after you return the one you bought.

It's nice of you to buy such practical gift for your parents.

Good luck user.

Merry Christmas to you too user.

I found and posted this link and because of the info there I will be switching from my fancy stove top espresso maker to a french press as well.
I have one now but is not that great,some of the coffee grinds escape into the clear coffee section so I will be buying different model.
With french press you have to make sure that coffee grinds are not too fine, the model you will buy will give you the instructions as to the size of the grind for it, it's more less the same for all french press makers.

You (and your parents) might like to read few articles on french press coffee makers, like this link,

3 Common Mistakes People Make When Brewing French Press Coffee.
thekitchn.com/3-mistakes-people-make-when-brewing-french-press-coffee-207337

French Press Brew Guide.
craftcoffee.com/how-to-make-coffee/french-press-brew-guide

Just don't get discouraged from the volume of information, you read it once and you will know for the life time and will enjoy your coffee more taking advantage not only from it's caffeine blast
but also from it's voluble essential oils (that get trapped in the paper filter machines and thrown away).
French press gets you to enjoy all of the goodies in coffee but it needs bit different brewing method, not as simple and quick as paper filters but much more beneficial.

Hope you will like it.

I had that Cuisinart in pic related. It worked alright, but French presses are so much better. Plus, the water heating function to the right doesn't work as well as you think it would.

what model of french press do you own user

Here is my shitty every morning routine:

>Put some tap water in the kettle to boil
>Clean out press of previous days coffee slury
>Scoop out about 25 grams of coffee beans from my coffee container (I don't bother measuring exactly much anymore. Close enough is just fine).
>grind with the grinder on the right () to whatever coarseness it's set to currently (I haven't changed it in probably 2.5-3 years now)
>Dump grounds into press
>Once the kettle is screaming at me I dump it in the press too
>Stir the grounds/water for 30 seconds while putting 5 minutes on a timer
>Plunge to below water level for 4:30
>Once the timer goes off plunge completely and pour off into mug

Mmm, coffee.

you guys are autismo

kill yourself retard

why you think so user, because we talk coffee or there is other reason for your opinion of us :)

Is the aeropress just a meme or doe it actually work better than a regular french press? I got my dad one a few years ago and he uses it at work all the time. He made me a cup once and I remember it being damn smooth and great, but I'm guessing you could achieve the same on a regular press with the right grind.

It's sorta like a french press for a single cup.

The quality really isn't all that different except you get less grit with an aeropress filter.

hey user sounds like you enjoying your coffee press, would you please share what brand do you have.
I was exchanging info with this user
and was reading reviews on couple of models, one was this:
SterlingPro Double Wall Stainless Steel French Coffee Press, 1 Liter (picture attached),

amazon.com/SterlingPro-Double-Stainless-French-Coffee/dp/B00MMQOZ1U#customerReviews

it has 1822 reviews and few hundred I briefly looked at are very positive, of course there are few problems but nothing significant overall.

I like the idea that this press has double filtration screen for cleaner brew.
Most french presses have single screen.

I would love to read your opinion on the model you have.

Thanks

I have one and it works great, takes like 15 seconds to make a cup, and it's way easier to clean than a french press.

Aeropress vs French Press - Pros and Cons you Need to Know.
youtube.com/watch?v=YGjjcSwX3JM

10 Tips for Making Better French Press Coffee.
youtube.com/watch?v=6Gns9HtHc5w

Is that text on the Chambourds a sticker? I want that style of French Press but I don't want to have a ton of text on the glass.

Here I found so called Cadillac of french press coffee makers.

Espro Press P5 - French Press Coffee Press with Thick & Durable SCHOTT Duran glass.

ESPRO: THE ABSOLUTE BEST COFFEE PRESS AVAILABLE.

French Press Review - Espro P5 with Thick & Durable Schott-Duran Glass Carafeyoutube.com/watch?v=EWQXc2acBk4

Should I get an eight cup or a 12 cup press?

I think the Youtube link didn't registered properly in previous post.

For how many people will you be making coffee will be the answer, also would you like to make extra coffee for later,
but with french press you need to transfer ready made coffee from the press to the carafe in order to separate coffee liquid from the coffee grinds, otherwise coffee brewing will continue and after few hours you will get super strong bitter brew.
So maybe smaller press will be better and you make coffee twice daily if needed.

Is it just for yourself or for more people in the household.

Here I found so called Cadillac of french coffee presses.

Espro Press P5 - French Press Coffee Press with Thick & Durable SCHOTT Duran glass.

ESPRO: THE ABSOLUTE BEST COFFEE PRESS AVAILABLE.

French Press Review - Espro P5 with Thick & Durable Schott-Duran Glass Carafe.

Here is a review from CoffeeGeek of Espro French Press.

coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/espropress/BoldJava

This is important video to watch before you buy french press coffee maker.

"Should I Use A French Press Coffeemaker?"
youtube.com/watch?v=5EgMAgsZA1c

Do you use paper filter or metal filter in your aeropress, and what model/brand it is.
Thanks

Not a big fan of the metal filter, kind of defeats the object.
The paper filters are cheap as hell anyway.

The reason I like the idea of metal filter is that it let's the coffee oil to go through like in the french press where the paper filter blocks oils same as in drip coffee makers.

Why you didn't like the metal filter?

Just prefer the taste from the paper filters.
Might be something to do with acidity, dunno really.

This guy puts bit different unorthodox twist to making coffee with french press.

The Ultimate French Press Technique.
youtube.com/watch?v=st571DYYTR8

The difference in his method is that after original standard 4 minutes of waiting for the coffee to brew normally at that time you press the plunger down,
but his is proposing more waiting time up to 5-7 minutes more after first 4 minutes, but first you need to stir it up and scoop up the coffee crust that is left on the top and wait 5-7 minutes.
Watch it if you interested.

OK,thanks for that.
Yes, perhaps metal they use is not that good quality SS as in french press and it affects the taste.

>coffee

Main difference in this model french press ESPRO Press over other models is the construction of the filter. There are some other differences as well, but filter is the major difference.

So the price is higher as well.

Container of cawfee, get to the worksite

On their web site here, espro.ca/ , they have pictures of 3 different styles of finish for home use, two styles german made specialty glass and one style in solid Stainless Steel all available in two sizes 18 oz and 32 oz, and they also have Travel press.

I'll easily drink a 12 cup press within an hour or so.

user please if this thread will exist let know how your search went if you found better model.
If this thread gets deleted maybe you can start new one,
I would love to know how your project went since I stir up your purchase choice I'm hoping that I didn't create more hassle for you.

As I posted here this model "SterlingPro Double Wall Stainless Steel French Coffee Press, 1 Liter" from this web site yourbestdigs.com/reviews/best-french-press/
has lot's of great reviews and is priced very reasonably on Amazon from $79 on sale for $36.

Wonder what selection they have in that coffee shop near your place.

Good luck with it.