Sad holiday meals

What's the saddest holiday meal you've ever had?

For me, it was when I was stuck in my college town over Christmas (long story), nothing was open, and all I had was frozen pizza. The house was empty. I cooked the pizza and ate it silently in the kitchen with lot of beer and whiskey. That was a fun night.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tJ17pRqiuwA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

THIS ACTUALLY DOESNT LOOK TOO BAD.

if you put that same looking slop on a nice plate and spread it out a bit, it will look appetizing

We'll, tell the damned story.

... I did. Do you want to know what kind of frozen pizza it was? It was Tombstone pepperoni.

Latch key kid. Had ramen. Power went out just after making it. Ate in the dark kitchen and then laid in bed to stay warm. Got yelled at and beat by mom when she got back in for not calling the electric company. Was 8 or 9, had no idea what to do, was never explained to me before then. Haven't talked to my parents in over a decade.

nice

No, I wanted to know why you were stuck in your college town but now I don't care and I wish you many years of lonely Christmases filled with weak tombstone pizza

Oh. Well, my parents were out of town at some dog-agility competition, so there was no point in me going back for Christmas.

That is literally the direct antithesis of a long story.
No pizza for you. Many sad Christmas.

user, i...

I'm not sure if this counts, but my company brings in a disgusting assortment of turkey, cranberries, stuffing, etc. right before Thanksgiving. I still have normal Thanksgiving at home though

I was backpacking in Australia by myself, and I was in a really empty town over Christmas. I also had a nasty ear infection so I couldn't hear anything unless the other person shouted. So I had kangaroo, onions and mashed potatoes and a bunch of beer all by myself for Christmas dinner.

My family usually eats canned Ragout Fin with phyllo dough pastries and herring salad for Christmas. I hope we can finally change this goddamn tradition this years. I am tired of eating cat food.

Sounds pretty comfy to be honest. I hope you weren't feeling too lonely.

This Christmas eve and day I'll be working 2:30pm till 11pm
And I live in another country to most family and childhood friends.
My girlfriend is back in her home country on the other side of the planet.

There's one other guy on shift with me but he lives near work and ill need to come home to feed my cat.

What do I cook/drink to fight the winter depression?

My son's school Thanksgiving banquet from a few years ago. Damn that yellow gravy, damn it to hell.

THIS IS INDEED A VERY LONG STORY

CAN YOU POST A QUICK SUMMARY PLEASE I DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ THE ENTIRE THING FROM START TO FINISH

Just moved across the country to get away from the shithole that is the nig-infested and humid southeast. to start a new life. Couldn't afford to go home for Thanksgiving. Ended up mashing my own potatoes, buying a big ass turkey pot-pie from some bakery, and a bottle of decent red wine. Was good. Drank the bottle, drank a lotta whiskey. Contemplated life and if this was worth the move since I miss my family and friends a lot more than I thought I would. Not the worst story I've heard, but it was pretty bad for me. Was my first Thanksgiving away from my family and the feels were what made it bad, not really the food. Not sure if that counts as a meal or not.

Pretty depressing. Fortunately I'm going home for Christmas which has me way more excited than I should be. Get to see my animals and family which is going to be amazing.

Had one of these one year because my dad decided to have Thanksgiving dinner with his girlfriend and her kids, and the rest of my immediate family had died the previous year.

Just two years ago I got kicked out of my house and disowned by my parents. Before, Thanksgiving had always been a 20 person affair at their place, where I saw all sorts of relatives and stuff. That year, though, I was alone, and didn't have a friend to do anything with.

I watched the MST3K turkey day marathon, ate two boxes of Annie's White Cheddar and Shells, and cried for a few hours.

It could have been worse.

Christmas eve morning we started cooking our big holiday meal. (We always eat big on the eve, not Christmas day. I was 19 and learned quite a bit how to cook most the things we normally have. We needed an ingredient or two that we had forgotten to get at the grocery store so my Mom left to go get them quick. The store is like 15 minutes away maybe. An hour later still no Mom. Me, my Dad and my brother an two cousins kept cooking the stuff we could when we got the call after about 2 hours from when she left. A drunk driver hit her head on and she was killed immediately. We turned the oven and stove off and set everything on the counter and didn't really know what to do.

i went home and shotgunned beers and did 180 dollars of cocaine until I threw up everywhere and passed out

then I went to work the next day

Damn user, I'm really sorry to hear that.

this looks pretty good

gravy is SUPPOSED to be brown you uncultured nig nogs

jail thanksgiving dinner

prison Christmas

don't ask me recall specifics, it was a long time ago.

I haven't celebrated Christmas since 2011. I don't remember what I ate at any of them since.

This year I'm going to work on Christmas, then get a 5$ hot-n-ready from Little Ceasars and eat it in bed while solemnly drinking cheap vodka.

If you have a family, be thankful anons. Not all of us are that lucky.

Can you recall any specifics? What did you do?

Thanksgiving dinner in prison. Just inedible and made me sad. The turkey was cheap pressed deli meat.

Why do people get so upset over eating crappy food on holidays?
It's another day just like any other, and if you happen to not be around your family just treat it as such and you won't be such a sad mope.

I think this last thanksgiving I ate a hotpocket and two fried potatoes because I didn't want to fight my way into a store.

I moved away too recently. Sadly im starting a business with my mom but my real family was all the friends I left behind.

Are you from St. Louis?

>MST3K turkey day marathon

Honestly, I can think of worse ways to spend Thanksgiving.

Could have been worse. Could have been Totino's, or god forbid, Jack's.

tl;dr

Anything with large quantities of cyanide or lead.

At first I was disgusted, but I haven't eaten anything today and the longer I looked at the more appetizing it seemed. At this point I'm ravenous for a cheap, shitty imitation of a turkey dinner.

Anyone here had pic related? Am I gonna regret it if I pick one of these bad boys up?

My family is annoying as fuck and I would MUCH rather spend my Christmas alone, getting drunk in bed with some cheap, shitty pizza.

If you don't have a family, be thankful anons. Not all of us are that lucky.

For me it's the McChicen

jesus dude enough already, you're going through a dog agility dissertation.

it makes me so mad that people think it's okay to drive a car piss drunk when shit like this happens all the time user how could anyone have such little regard for the safety of other people?

i understand not caring about personal safety (because i don't really care about mine) but that shit is inexcusable.

I used to live near St. Louis and even worked at Dierbergs for a few days. For the first three days, they made me greet customers at the entrance for 4-5 hours straight. I was hired for stocking (ie. never in the public eye) yet I had to do that shit. I quit shortly after.

St. Louis is a dismal place but they had some really solid local grocery stores (Dierberg's and Shnuck's)

Sat around in a frigid, ice encrusted camper in the woods eating butterless "toast" made over a sterno while hoping a friend calls and wants to hang out so that I can forget I am homeless in a bear and possibly skinwalker infested woods judging by the awful smell of rotting mest and spoiled milk that I notice from time to time.

That was last year's Christmas.

I work overnights at a house for the developmentally disabled.

Worked thanksgiving, christmas eve/day, and new years nights

So my thanksgiving/christmas dinner was whatever the disabled residents of the house didn't eat at around 3AM.

wasn't too bad though desu

>tfw big loving family
>tfw every Christmas has been great
No meme, just really appreciative for what I have. The worst I've ever had it is when my grandparents were sick and couldn't come to Christmas morning.

Put a candle on top of a shitty dry cheap muffin, sang happy birthday quietly to myself in the dark, took a bite before bursting into tears.

christ user

>don't talk to scumbag sibling
>don't talk to parents because of said scumbag
>parents-in-law do sketchy shit despite being aware if situation, trying to get me talk to my parents
>have to stop talking to them too
>no other family, everyone else is on another continent or dead or both
>just graduated, no jobs whatsoever
>kid won't be getting gifts, probably

I mean, not homeless so it could be much worse. I'm just sentimental and I like shiny holiday shit so I'm doing my best to keep it together without. I'm going to pick up a Christmas hamper thing and cobble together a meal from that and appreciate what family I do have left. If any anons are in a similar position, I encourage you to do the same.

that's fucking horrible dude. I'm so sorry. I have a special hate for drunk drivers (and careless drivers). To endanger yourself is one thing, to get into a screaming murderous hunk of metal while inebriated and put others at risk is another. fuck.

I hope you get to be somewhere that's a lot warmer and less smelly this winter. and less bears and skinwalkers

>Scoop of potatoes
>Scoop of dressing
>Slice of turkey
>Gravy

What exactly is the problem here?

I was homeless for a few years after high school. I had a nervous breakdown from some personal shit, and am estranged from my family due to them being hardcore catholics. I was suicidal, and doing a lot of self-harm. I started getting into drugs (I mean, once you're homeless it's like... why the fuck not? I'm already rock bottom, may as well take the pleasure I can, right?) And I remember my first Christmas like that. I had some food at the shelter, low grade turkey and potatoes, canned beans. Solitary affair, since i didnt know anyone. Then I went to the high level bridge in my city and contemplated jumping off for a few hours. I still don't really like holidays, even though i have some amazingly kind roommates. But it's much better than it was before. I like to make them Christmas dinner, just to show them I appreciate them

I used to run the board at an ESPN radio affiliate. There are games on every holiday, and every holiday I'd get stuck working because I was the only one without kids. One Christmas there was a huge blizzard. Of course, I was the one working the games on the 24th and 25th. I lived half an hour away, though, and there was no way my little car would be able to get through all that snow. So the company paid to check me into a hotel across the street from the radio station.

Now, this hotel was brand new. The whole time I was there I saw one other guest. I was essentially alone in a giant hotel in the middle of a blizzard, Shining style. There was no kitchenette in the room, only a microwave, so I only had frozen Banquet meals and Froot Loops to eat. At one point, my car got stuck in the road on my way across the street to work, and some guys in a truck stopped and helped me get out.

It wasn't all bad, though. Some coworkers (who gave me a ride after hearing about my shitty car) gave me a little gift bag with a blanket, tea, and candy in it. Still, that was the worst Christmas I ever had: alone and eating shitty food, listening to sports I don't care about on the radio.

please don't answer caps guy

My mother works at a hospital and they give her those meals for lunch and dinner thanksgiving and christmas. They look pathetic but they are not bad.

I did that a few weeks ago on thanksgiving. Had a frozen pizza. It wasn't even a good one it was some shitty off brand like mama rosa. It was shit. Didn't leave the house, talk to, or see another person the entire day. It was kind of nice tbqh, but also depressing. Of course i got drunk too.

Seems alright for two dollars. Potatoes look kind of hilarious.

The cranberry sauce is supposedly "off the hook".

your father's ass when he stayed home for the holidays while pretending to have the flu so he wouldn't have to be around your mother's ball-busting family

Fuck user, that's so shitty

haha i had a few homeless holidays, user, but with the whole senpai. after a natural disaster rendered my mom jobless and homeless, she just kind of fell off into an alcoholic abyss and brought me and my brother with her as her only friends. we were like 10 at the time, not in school, hustling quarters to stay drunk. me and my brother ditched her around 12 to try and become regular people, making friends with kids our age and staying with them periodically so we could bathe and go to school. my mom got a house through some charity ultimately but after the photoshoot for their webpage, they just left her out in a wrecked hood in a gutted house with no hot water or electricity. me and my brother ended up back with her for a couple of years. she was and still is utterly delusional about holidays, like she feels like by observing them, we can go back to how life was before the disaster. they always ended with me chilling in the background while she and my brother made weak attempts of manslaughter at eachother and a friend would usually come pick me up before the cops came. she still hits me up on holidays, and she still lives back in that house, and still has no walls or utilities. last time i humored her, she killed two liters of wine and a fifth of vodka, started baby talking about the devil and begging to hold my hand. i just went to bed. i haven't seen her since and we still live in the same city. she used to show up at my house sometimes to use the shower, but since that time, i don't see her anymore.

glad you're doing better man, hope u have a good christmas this year

Between this and the alcoholic threads, Veeky Forums is one of the most depressing boards.

truf.

for thanksgiving this year, i valeted at an indian wedding where we could all smell their food. i went home and made fried rice out of old white rice with kale and chicken with a coors light i stole from my roommate to wash it down.

year one moved out of the parents' place has been pretty weird, but i ain't sad yet.

>mfw worked 10am-11:30pm this past Thanksgiving
Step it up fampai, just eat your holiday meal on a day you have off like I did. My regular shift is 1pm-11:30pm btw.

>At one point, my car got stuck in the road on my way across the street to work

Are you fucking serious?

I've never had a sad holiday meal

That sucks dude . I hope the holidays are getting better for you.

youtube.com/watch?v=tJ17pRqiuwA

*rad

I had two of these for Thanksgiving.

This is what I had for X-Mas of 2015, a sowstorm prevented me from attending Christmas at a relatives and I was trapped at home.

We moved from California to North Carolina and on Christmas day we found out our dad had a heart attack. Needless to say that day went to shit pretty fast

op its sad it was fun

make up yer mind

oh i ate pizza alone wah wah wahhhh

Oh look, the Veeky Forums Special Education Outreach program has finally started.

>not that user but
true, but when the final theme comes on at the end of the show and you're sitting alone in a cold apartment realising you just spent how many hours sitting alone watching other people laugh and joke with each other, it feels pretty bleak.

man I'm glad my 20s are over. fuck that shit.

yes we have son *pats retard on their head*

now go clean and eat out of that toilet.

>*pats retard on their head*

Wasn't a holiday but it still sucked pretty bad.

It was on my birthday this year, mum was in Sydney and dad was somewhere else for a few days, I had invited a bunch of friends around to drink, smoke, eat and play video games, I didn't get any replies from most of them, one of them was really sick, one of them stood me up on the actual day and said he was gonna come around the next day, he never did, when I messaged him asking whats up he said he'd come around the next day, again he stood me up.

I ended up making myself hot dogs or some shit and drank 6 500ml bottles of beer, smoked 2g's of super skunk and downed a quarter of a bottle of vodka that night.

And to top it all off when I went to dads house to see him a few days after my birthday my cuntrag of a 17y/o sister was ripping on me that no one came at all.

Feels really fucking bad man.

my family is small and pretty chill, and we keep our holiday meals to just our immediate family, so generally they're good. most christmases we end up having shrimp or homemade pizza or something because we're all sick of turkey after thanksgiving and mom doesn't like ham.

the saddest I can remember in terms of "cultural norm vs. what the meal actually was" was probably this past thanksgiving.
>decide to buy parents' old van
>they suggest we do thanksgiving on the tuesday before, so we can go to the DOT and transfer the title on the same day and save a trip (they live ~50 miles away)
>weather is bad so it gets pushed back to following tuesday
>turkey's already thawed so mom goes ahead and cooks it, then freezes some in broth
>plan is now to have reheated turkey, not optimal but she's an expert in freezing stuff so I'm fine with it
>next tuesday comes, nobody feels well, everybody's tired, reheated turkey doesn't sound so appealing anymore
>leave turkey in freezer, get fried chicken from grocery store deli on the way back from DOT
>was actually pretty good
>tl;dr fried chicken for thanksgiving

The label is the saddest part.

Leftover cold rolls and two chicken strips from work. Was working as a dishwasher, had gotten out of the Army about 6 months before and was literally insane, so I was homeless.

Head Chef got me a hotel-room on christmas eve so I at least didn't freeze. At two rolls and cold chicken strips, and then tried to smoke one of the cigarettes I'd been hoarding just to realize I didn't have a lighter. There were no matches in the building. I cried.

>be 10
>Christmas day
>turkey been cooking all day
>neighbors hounds sneak in back door
>rip kitchen all to fuck
>steal turkey
>cleangetaway.webm
>Dad musters us up to get dressed
>Go to only Chinese place open
>Chink chef serves duck with the head attached
>Dad points it out
>Chink chef hacks off the head with a cleaver
>Mom screams bloody murder
>breddy sad
>fa ra ra ra ra....ra ra..ra...ra

>Holiday Turkey Dinner for (You)
>Just (You), Only (You), Nobody Else

>grandma is getting a divorce from her third husband
>my parents moved away, she has no friends
>my aunt invites me over to spend thanksgiving with them
>go over, the house is half empty from being moved out of
>cold, dry turkey
>cold mashed potatoes
>cold green beans
>aunt leaves to go to a different thanksgiving party
>alone with my grandma in her empty house talking about how much life sucks

I don't really feel too bad for her either. That might be the saddest part.

Hope you keep doing well user

I like threads like this. It makes me appreciate my life more.

Right in the feels

>frozen pizza
>with lot of beer and whiskey

sounds good, at least you could afford beer and whiskey, I can't afford whiskey right now.

What's everyone's favorite meal for one?

I, for one, enjoy Dierbergs Holiday Turkey Dinner For One. It is the best dinner for one.

>mom is visiting step dad's family for Christmas
>roommate is driving across state to see his family

First Christmas I'll be spending alone. What should I do, lads?

You live in the age of the internet you dense motherfucker, get your buds together in skype and raid the fuck out of a WoW dungeon or play league until your asshole is 3 feet wide.

I meant more what should I cook/get to eat. Getting shitfaced and playing vidya was already on my list along with watching those Rankin and Bass Christmas movies.

>14th birthday
>parents had to work
>nobody came to my party
We had like 3 pizzas for snacks when people came, but nobody did so i ate them all and cried myself to sleep

Kentucky fry some turkey, eat some frozen vegetables, mash some potatoes and get hosed on eggnogg bourbon, custard and brandy covered cake

Hospital food looks great!

Damn guys, I wish I could invite you guys over to my grandma's house for Christmas dinner. It's all Vietnamese food though.

Christmas duck is pretty GOAT. Do you remember if it was tea-smoked?

Sorry about the trashed house/mom hysterics, though.

Sounds like it's kind of a problem she's making for herself, so I get it. Did you get some good leftovers somewhere else? I had shitty food with the in-laws this year, but made a pretty good leftover plate at dinner at my friends'.

Get a nice turkey quarter of leg for the dark meat, shove some fresh herbs and butter under the skin, put some salt/spices/butter on top of the skin, and roast until cooked through with no pink. Roast some veg and garlic for an easy side, mash some potatoes with half-and-half/salt/pepper/roasted garlic.

I'm seconding the cake and eggnog.