Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums
Bout to make some meat pies tomorrow.
Made the crust today, now for filling i need advice

What i was planning:
>Pour a little olive oil on a pan (also have canola and possibly grapeseed oil, if they have better smokepoints, let me know)
>Put in a few diced cloves of garlic, stir and allow the oil to rise in temp (should the oil be hot before i put in the garlic? i sorta want to infuse the garlic flavor into the oil)
>Saute some onions in the oil
>After the onions are browned, add in ground beef
>Break into small pieces, once browned add spices
>Spices consist of paprika, cayenne, cumin
>Add in cubed potatoes
>Add bit of water (or broth. dont think ill be adding wine to this one)
>Allow to simmer, then mix in some flour to thicken, and then cook until done

I have a fairly normie assortment of spices, but i can totally go and buy some more.
If you have any recommendations please tell me.
I was also wondering if i should add in tomato paste, as its generally what i depend on for masking the flavor of shitty food.

Also, should i add some greens? Meat and potatoes are fine but i feel like its not enough.

Other urls found in this thread:

laylita.com/recipes/all-about-empanadas/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>meat pies

pic related is an empanada

Im gonna be honest my dude, ive never known what an empanada was. My mexican friends used to laugh about that, and i never cared to google it.
So, that should probably exemplify how lost i am right about now.

kys

Huh?

Theres no need to be salty my dude.

If you want a classic minced beef pie then do everything you typed out but throw in some seasoned flour and Worcestershire sauce, maybe some beer and or vinegar. Leave out the vegetables, add some thyme. Let the onion and garlic sweat for 10 minutes in a pot with the lid half on. Use only a bit of tomato.

What sort of crust are you using? just a short pastry?

It's really up to you what goes in them but if you've never made them before start with a basic filling. You can add all sorts of things, raisins, green peppers, peas and corn, bacon, mushrooms.

That's a yes for short pastry, and I have plenty of thyme so ill be adding that.

Should I add the tomato before or after the flour?

And I've never had Worcestershire sauce, could you describe the taste? I watched a video of how it was made once, and it looked repugnant.

You want to lightly toast the flour after the mince has browned, add the paste and then whatever liquid you like- vinegar, stock, beer etc.

Worcestershire sauce is something like mushroom ketchup mixed with balsamic vinegar and the fond from a nice roast pan. It's dark and savoury but not too heavy. You only need a few teaspoons in a large pie mix. Definitely try it.

Yeah I was going to say add in some bell peppers, maybe a red or yellow to give it some color and flavor. Personally I'd add them in the saute pan after the meet so they don't cook all they way and retain some crunch, but that's personal preference shit.

You need do get a cut like chuck steak, cut it up toss it with some flour to coat, brown onion and garlic, add meat, brown the outside of the meat. Put all of it in a slow cooker, add all the shit you were gonna add (minus the vegetables) add some worcestershire sauce and thyme. Cook on low for 8 hours or high on 4 hours.

Make sure you never put hot/warm filling in pastry.

Christ you south americans are a cancer. You shit up every board with your una vela crap and every food thread with your empanda shit.

Fuck off.

It's because all their culture was replaced 400 years ago.

I watched the food wishes pasty video yesterday, and he used beef, potato, turnip, etc. but I don't remember him cooking the filling first. I think it was just diced fine, then cooked in the oven. Browning the meat first probably wouldn't hurt though.

Sounds pretty fucking terrible my deer.

Only saying cause i love u. XoXo

Just made these pastys the other night. Basic: mince up your beef well with a chefs knife, s&p; dice swede, carrots, russet potatoes, onion. Fancy: marinade minced beef in a T or two of soy sauce, clove minced garlic. T of finely minced parsley & t minced thyme for roots.

Forgot to add: don't brown meat before or it will get over cooked. Nor the roots. Just combine and spoon into pies and bake at 425' F ~ 20 min on lower third, ~20 min on upper third

Finally: OPs prolly fucked off but if empanadas were the topic of the thread, here's a decent site: laylita.com/recipes/all-about-empanadas/

Is the "basic" version not kind of dry and bland?

Usually when I'm making pies, there's at least some kind of gravy inside. Or it gets served with gravy.

If you use a decent cut of beef, like skirt (flat iron), or sirloin it's not dry or bland at all, the juices from the meat combine with the roots as they steam in the pie to make a lovely combo. The "basic" is your traditional Yooper (upper peninsula of MI)/Cornish pasty, the "fancy" is what's in the above pic, something I decided to do on a lark. It turned out well & I like both. That said, pastys are a bit like chili: everybody has there own idea on what is correct, with swede or without, gravy or ketchup or no condiment, carrots/no carrots... and will argue tooth and nail to what is "right."

*their. Bottom line: do what you damn well please. If you like it, who cares?

still here homespice
cooking the filling as we speak
empenadas werent strictly the topic, but the filling is close enough, so it helps, thanks

Post pics after if you're able!

Noice. Give us an update when you're done.

Nobody is talking about your shitty pasty ripoff.

Spew your autism elsewhere.

Yeah no, a Cornish pasty is set in stone. There is no arguing what goes in it, it is a set PDO.

don't use ground beef, it's disgusting. use knife chopped flank steak.
don't use flour, wtf.
t. argie

lmao y u so mad

Cook the garlic later it will burn if you do it in this order.

Potatoes in an empanada is wrong.

amerifat education lmao

Garlic only burns if left alone in the pan. The moment you add onions you are safe.

no it's not.

Just shut up SalteƱo
Empanada tucumana rules

Go and cry about the Falklands some more, autist.

Again, nobody is talking about your third world pasty ripoff.

It's like you're an eight year old with autism.

im literally living in Tucuman. kek
u mad

CHI

>meat pie

Are you from Louisiana? In nearly every truck stop/convenience store I go to over there at the deli counter they sell a "meat pie" alongside other regional fare and hot deli items. I've never seen it in Texas which is why I figured it was a regional food thing. I haven't tried one yet but my dad says they are good. Might as well give it a whirl, I suppose.

You think that a pie containing meat is some sort of regional speciality?

Why are Americans like this?

OP here. would post pics but the family and i fucking demolished the pretty looking ones in a heartbeat. Might have burnt the roof of my mouth, cause self control doesnt run in the family.

Other than that, the crust was hard from over-kneading, but still a crowd pleaser.

Gonna try again with apples instead of meat, probably would do the dough more justice.

Today i learned: Worcestershire sauce tastes like ketchup for a second, and afterwards it tastes like someone pissed in your mouth. Cooked with food it tastes like mushrooms i think.

>and afterwards it tastes like someone pissed in your mouth
How would you know that?

i once took the name of urinal cake too literally.

What's the best way to get a lot of gravy in the pie?

I want it oozing delicious brown gravy.

Just an idea, maybe freeze a bunch of gravy into tiny ice cubes. Then assemble your pies, add a handful of cubes, and bake.

>Cooked with food it tastes like mushrooms i think.
Told you m9. Glad you enjoyed the pies. Worcestershire is great in most dark,saucy dishes or even as you mentioned, mushrooms.

Lightly brown the underside of some medium mushrooms that have had the stalk removed. Then flip and cook on low with a pinch of salt and a dash of worcestershire/balsamic. The juice that leaks out of the mushrooms is godly.

Use cheap watery beef and flour. Use stock/demiglace

eeww

looks dank fampai

Look up a recipe for a steak and ale or steak and kidney pie, those have gravy in them.

The ampanada is a spanish recipe, latin america adopted it later