Why there were no obese people in 60s and 70s?

Why there were no obese people in 60s and 70s?

Other urls found in this thread:

npr.org/sections/thesalt/2011/11/07/142110548/mississippi-leads-u-s-in-reliance-on-food-stamps
nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html?_r=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they werent allowed to go outside

Because people had more things to do beside sit on a Chilean horseshoe enthusiast forum all day.

Because they were rightly fatshamed into staying in their hovels, and motorized carts weren't provided at every goddamn fucking corner.

Makes one wonder if it was the coincidence of the rise of food science and synthetic additives.

nobody is forcing fatties to eat 3k calories a day

no internet

In those days people that got too fat were shamed for it, there was no movement to say it's acceptable and we have to be nice to them

Wrong type of bytes, kiddo.

>People had to walk more than they do now
>More people had jobs that require manual labor (or at least just a lot of walking, lifting, etc)
>People ate less sugar
>People ate smaller portions
>People went outside and did activities, since they didn't have fatass computers to sit on all day

also people would mock the fuck out of mildy overweight people

This!
Fat and slut shaming are excellent remedies!

>Why there were no obese people in 60s and 70s?
Small government; small people.

Technically, 10% were.

Plenty. Just tjose photos are neck down.

"me! me! me!" entitlement wasnt that bad?

le beauty is only skin deep meme
everyone is beautiful slogans making fatties become delusional that they, too, are good-looking

Its why obesity isnt an issue in Samoa or the midwest.

>small govt = no fat people

Mississippi has the smallest state budget of any and has the highest rate of obesity in all 50 states.

You just got rekt and assblasted at the same time.

npr.org/sections/thesalt/2011/11/07/142110548/mississippi-leads-u-s-in-reliance-on-food-stamps

I always thought it was because of the "only rich people are fat because they can afford to be gluttonous" protomeme.

When did things reverse?

Men tolerating fat women.

When food became so abundant that poor people could afford to be glutinous, and a greater number of rich people have the self control (lack of self-control is one reason some people will be poor) or money to pay for things that can mitigate the effects of their shitty habits if they have them, like gyms. More social pressure to look good for them might help also.
Has nothing to do with healthy food being expensive, healthy food is far cheaper, it's just not full of oil and sugar and salt. Whenever I've challenged people on this and showed them the healthy options (not fad "miracle food" shit, frozen generic spinach and other vegetables, sacks of potatoes, carrots, cabbage, etc.) are cheaper they've ended up just admitting it's not what they want to eat.

this. being poor is stressful as fuck and stress leads to bad eating decisions.

gluttonous*
I wasn't trying to imply it had something to do with wheat lol

Because of-- nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html?_r=0

No, but when you make it widely available and convenient, and the majority of choices and then step back and say "it's your choice". Well, that's hardly being intellectually honest now, is it? It's almost like you're forced to make a choice. Put it this way: vending machines aren't really packed with salads, veggie snacks, cheeses, and jerky, now, are they?

exceptions prove the rule, assblaster

Being fat was unacceptable
Fast food wasn't as prevalent

>scientists paid to lie
>scientists lie
>big pharma gets government to cover vaccine law suits
>scientists whistleblower at CDC about cover up of vaccines and autism in African American boys who received Mr during certain ages
>scientists discredited for not fighting for big pharma
>they can't pay off scientists
>scientists paid off in 60s
>vaccines are safe

I resent the fact that I was born at the time I was. Not early enough to witness the peak of the west and not late enough to witness the downfall. fuck this gay shit

Wrong, you were born at the best time, because you have knowledge of the impending doom and can no longer be lied to about it. You are in the best position: to fuck the fuckers.

>providing convenience is forcing

>No jerky
Now I'm mad

today I ate a container of chicken salad and a granola bar, later I ate a bag of trail mix
then I went and exercised

all in all that's not bad at all....

...except I was hungry after I exercised and got 2 cheesy bean burritos, 2 soft tacos, and a potato taco at taco bell and ate them in the car on the way home where I then had 2 cups of hot chocolate

so to answer your question. Food is just so cheap and easily accessible, its just so convenient and you can overdo it very quickly by accident.
it's a good problem to have compared to the other extreme, but it takes accountability

I think you're just a fat fuck.

I mean, if we're talking about Americans, it's pretty obvious we didn't have the same eating problems back then. It was more during the 80's, 90's, and especially the 2000's that obesity became a huge problem. I would say that during this fast food companies really started to boom and the last people who's food culture was ruined by post WWII crazy shit were dying off- whose place would be filled by convenience food, tater tot casseroles, and potato salad. Also, there was just generally more physical work to be done back then.

I don't think the fact that people were "fatshamed" back then necessarily has anything to do with it. Remember, the idea of "fat acceptance" came out because there were so many fat children, not the other way (although "fat acceptance" can lead to more fat children)

how do you know? were you there?

This. Back in the 60's and 70's people ate a lot less fast food and overall sugar. And they were generally more active on a day to day basis. Even shit like going bowling is still a lot more active than sitting in front of the TV for five hours a night. And people did shit like that for fun back then.

Also I'd argue food was less appealing back then. If you look at recipes from that era that's not the kind of food you'd eat in large portions. It's the kind of stuff you just pick at until you can't stand any more of it.

>longer work days
>less time to cook
>"Kid's gotta eat, get them McDonald's they love it and I don't have time to cook!"
>leisure time is watching tv/browsing internet/playing video games

Put two and two together.

That's a concert photo. Fat people usually don't go to concerts.

I hope that the post was a made up example

>less time to cook
This is a big one. I'd argue it's not that people actually have less time to cook, but they sure as hell believe they do, because fast/convenience food advertising has convinced them any meal that takes more than half an hour to make is an absurd waste of time. (Time they could be spending watching TV or posting on Facebook).

If you drop this silly idea and just accept the fact that a good, inexpensive and healthy meal takes about an hour to pull off from prep to clean up you'll do much better. You just have to resign yourself to putting that hour in most evenings.

I agree, but on top of that every brand has slowly been increasing their sugar and fat contents.

If you take Kellogg's for example, just look up how much their regular plain cereals have increased in sugar content, if you compare the '70s version to the modern-day one.

Part of that is cost. Refined cane sugar was just costly enough that manufactures watched how much of it they used. HFCS is much cheaper, so using more of it doesn't effect the bottom line.

I know plenty of trim people and a few obese people. The main differences between the eating habits of the two are:

Snacking - Trim people generally don't snack, obese people do. Trim people will buy stuff like chips for a party, obese people just keep them around.

Fast/convenience food - Trim people see it as a necessary evil, obese people crave it. (And Kellogg's products are convenience food).

Sweet drinks - This one is particular to fat kids. They don't really drink water. if they can avoid it. It's always milk, juice, or soda.

Dessert - Trim people eat dessert on holidays and special occasions. Obese people think it's normal to eat ice cream on a Tuesday night.

Portion size - When I eat at the homes of obese friends/family biggest thing I notice is that they put easily one and a half times more food on their plates than I do. And vegetable dishes are either just a salad (with creamy dressing) or a token side dish. You never see vegetables as the main course.

Cocaine

True enough. I work 12 hour shifts and I'm still able to make dinner, but for me cooking is a hobby so I enjoy it.

I also only have to worry about myself; no kids to feed, no hungry wife, no dogs to walk or anything...so I have that free time.

All in all though I agree; most of us are just too lazy to cook.

>Obese people think it's normal to eat ice cream on a Tuesday night.

It isn't? I mean a dessert is like 200-400 calories. You can allow yourself so much in a day.

You've never been drug to an Adele concert, huh?

It's normal.

Now, if you eat a huge dinner or ate like shit throughout the day, skip it.

But an average day? You can have a little ice cream with no problem if you are at least mildly active.

Food didn't taste as good back then so people ate less

They don't eat a dinner and a cup of icecream, they eat a full pizza and then a pint of ben & jerry's

>Eating from vending machines for lunch daily
Do Americans really do this?

Moving goalposts is good exercise too

I'm sitting in an American city with no electricity, and an asphalt emulsifier in the water system. Eating out of a vending machine would be a significant upgrade.

>most of us are just too lazy to cook.
I don't know if it's actual laziness or just being convinced you don't have the time. My sister is a great example. She's got three kids and works part time from her suburban home. She and one of my nieces are both obese. She's actually a good cook when she take the time to do any actual cooking. But the kids are involved in different activities she has to drive them to, and on many days they're hungry and she's just getting started cooking by 6:30. And what she can cook is limited by this one not liking this, that one not liking that and the other having a whole list of things she won't eat. So she keeps snacks around for the hungry kids to eat while she rushes to throw together a meal everyone will eat from convenience food crap products. In the process of doing so she's turned to me and said, "I know I could do better, but not tonight." I get it - the kids are hungry and she feels the pressure to feed them ASAP. But they're already been snacking, so she could add a half hour to prep time and come up with a much better meal. And after that meal they could skip dessert instead of breaking out the cookies or ice cream like they frequently do.

I'm not judging, because I don't have to feed three kids. I only had to feed two, and they're grown now. But they did fuck up my cooking for a few years, because growing boys consume a crazy amount of meat, and aren't too keen on vegetables. I was happy when they hit their late teens and decided to eat pretty much anything.

It's not just laziness. I think by evening some people are simply out of bandwidth to deal with cooking for a family. So they make a lot of mistakes that lead to getting fat.

No McDonaldses.

This

This this

This

The advent of cheap sugar and hfcs fucked it all up

>dessert

I see this all the time in my fat friends/acquaintances and family or work colleagues. They all seem to think eating dessert every day is normal. "What's for dessert?" they ask after consuming a big lunch or dinner. If you factor in dessert to the whole meal that's fine. But these people eat their calorific intake in a meal then add dessert on top. My wife's sister is overweight and her husband is obese. Their son is 6 years old and a normal weight for his age/height. He already refuses to drink water, he will only drink soda or juice. He always asks (even when we are babysittig) "what's for dessert" at dinner AND lunch and he gets legit upset if my wife and I say there isn't any the meal is finished you can help us tidy up. Can't even get him to eat a cut up banana with some honey and chopped nuts or whatever for dessert. He just wants a ton of icecream and fudge which we never have or something else heavily laden with sugar. He also never eats anything but super sugary cereal for breakfast. I a made blueberry pancakes one morning after he stayed over but he was utterly shocked the pancake had fruit in it and wasn't chocolate flavoured. I feel sorry for him because I know his parents bad habits will be forced into him from a young age and he won't know why he's so fat and unhealthy until he decides to change at 21 or whatever by which point it will be so much harder. Just watching him drink a litre of cola is painful. He's only a tiny little guy.

That's life I guess. Better to have too much food than not enough yeah?

>Better to have too much food than not enough yeah?

nope. without pressure and hardship, most people go to the dogs.

>I feel sorry for him because I know his parents bad habits will be forced into him from a young age and he won't know why he's so fat and unhealthy
I've seen plenty of this. It doesn't happen in places where there is a traditional diet most people eat. The problem is where there is not traditional diet, but patterns of eating still get passed on in families. That's why many obese people assume the cause of their situation is genetics - everyone in their family is obese. But it isn't genetics, it's a shitty culture of eating passed from one generation to another. And the telltale sings of a shitty eating culture (beyond whether one or both parents are obese) are usually sweet drinks, dessert as an everyday thing and snacking in general.

I`m a fatass and lived in a room with a lean dude.
We had similar shitty eating habits (hell, he usually called me to a fast food joint, not the other way around).

The difference was physical activity (we both hit the gym sometimes, but he enjoyed walking more) and portion size.

>The difference was physical activity (we both hit the gym sometimes, but he enjoyed walking more) and portion size.
No doubt that plays a big role. I used to be borderline obese, and working out regularly and eating smaller portions for sure helped me get trim. But my kryptonite was salty fatty shit like cheese, salami, cured meats and smoked fish. Even fucking hot dogs. I could just eat that shit every day. By only indulging in that kind of stuff once a month or so, and doubling my vegetable intake I can stay trim without counting calories or being religious about my workouts.

Portion size is a thing, but many foods are best put in the once in a while category instead of the everyday category. Plenty of folks get fat by mixing up these categories.

What the fuck are you talking about. You have the same access to healthy food as you did back then, possibly even more, but with added choices of being able to eat like shit. It is your fault of you're fat, not because vending machines with chips in them exist as opposed to no vending machines at all.

>Can't even get him to eat a cut up banana with some honey and chopped nuts or whatever for dessert.
If he won't even eat yoghurt and fruit then he's a lost cause

I was watching a movie from 1955 and felt I should read about that year's history. Apparently the first McDonalds opened that same year. family values were so much different then however. You had families actually going out to eat if they could even afford it and cooking at home any other time. McDonalds was in its adolescence, nothing like the 10th world economy it is today or whatever.

>It is your fault of you're fat, not because vending machines with chips in them exist as opposed to no vending machines at all.
The problem arises when vending machines replace the workplace cafeteria. You don't end up with more choices. The price sensitive customer will always lean toward the cheapest options, which are the most unhealthy. Eventually all but the cheap options get driven out of business, and all your choices are unhealthy. You end up with a race to the bottom of who can provide the cheapest, fastest foodlike products to someone on their lunch hour who isn't particularly paying attention to what they're eating. Plenty of folks face this situation at their workplaces if they don't bring their own lunch.

Why are there so many fucking nerds in this picture jesus christ

Is this because it's so expensive to find someone who can, and will, cook for a company whose employees don't already bring their lunches into work?
Is there a way of making produce cheaper, and finding an affordable method of keeping that produce fresh?
Or would it all just be too silly to start your own company and try opening your own kitchen when the possibility exists that your employees are already either:
A.) addicted or accustomed to the menus and prices of fast food companies;
B.) addicted and accustomed to the products and prices of packaged vending machine items; or
C.) not earning enough to afford the services an actual kitchen staff and healthier food?

If my American company were facing a recession, and my employees were facing unemployment, and competitors were forcing deals down my throat to keep not only my employees happy, but to meet my company's (and by extension, the American people's) standards; would it not be financially smart to place vending machines and easily operated, fast food kitchens in place of actual kitchens? When my employees are only given half an hour at best for lunch???

And now that these practices are working so well, why would we stop? Hmmm?
Don't mistake - food scientists don't do it for the white collar worker's and the business owner's convenience.

no it's really what I ate

it takes a lot to satisfy my hunger

And they sure as hell aren't doing it so poor kids actually have something to eat and drink instead of milk and pizza.
Because 1 out of 10 of the products you'll find in a vending machine are actually a cheaper alternative to buying the product in bulk.
So yeah, it probably has something to do with parents never learning how to cook, and that whole, "it's your choice", remark mentioned earlier.

So who do we blame; big business or the people?

>The price sensitive customer will always lean toward the cheapest options, which are the most unhealthy. Eventually all but the cheap options get driven out of business, and all your choices are unhealthy

This is the biggest crock of horse shits.

Eating healthy is the cheapest option. The PROBLEM is that everyone is so fucking LAZY, that they don't want to cook; and too ENTITLED to think they should have to eat left overs.

I feed me, my wife, and my wife's son on $300 a month with no trouble; it's very tasty and extremely healthy.

This post is on point.

You don't accidentally eat 2 burritos and 3 tacos, fatass.

Big business IS people. It's always people's fault. They should be more educated on proper nutrition, as well as exercise self discipline more often. And of course exercise more.

You had similar shitty eating habits but he had better control over his portion sizes? Oh boy. Denial is a wonderful drug,

You don't think the Fitness industry is actually the Beauty industry, do you?
Or is it all just the Food industry? Or perhaps the Health industry.....?

You think? It definitely has its own role in the matter, no doubt.

The picture is probably taken at a university you wouldn't get in to.

You are correct when it comes to cooking food at home. I feed my wife and I most meals at home in a month for less than half your budget.

But in situations where someone is a captive audience and they need a bite to eat on the go the healthy options (if they exist) are never the cheap ones.

>university

It's woodstock you moron.

Don't give me that moral, economic philosophy.
Business is wealth. And people aren't worth their value anymore. And those that are don't belong to 'our' big business (assuming people are big business). They belong to those we are indebted to. And I am implying slave labor, as America to China, so on.

But of course you're right, it's peoples' fault, and it's common that people know jack-squat about nutrition or the functions of the human body if it's not their own genitals.

>need a bite to eat on the go

This is never needed, Amerifat

Once you work enough your time is worth more than your money/health

Feminism has done more to make the US obese than any changes in food products

and refer to

Never heard of it, that a community college?

>"what's for dessert" at dinner AND lunch and he gets legit upset if my wife and I say there isn't any the meal is finished

I just need a desert to look forward to. I don't understand how people manage to just eat bland food every day. Food is one of the few joys I have in life.

I don't know shit about the fitness industry. Never joined a gym. Had a friend show me how to lift kettle bells, bought a few ten years ago, and have just been doing that in addition to walking any cycling (in the summer). That's been enough for me.
When traveling?

>lol blaming Feminists
They deserve less than half the attention they've festered, and they make opponents out of every possible ally.
They claim pivotal success in any major Legislative or Executive change that aligns with their own 'cause'.
Feminism is nothing, absolute NOTHING, like what it used to be. And not for the better has it changed.

It's a boomer degeneracy festival.

I agree with you that food is a great joy in life, user. But if dessert after dinner is the highlight of your day perhaps it's time to reevaluate how you're spending your days.

>The problem is where there is not traditional diet, but patterns of eating still get passed on in families.
Coming from a culture with a lot of stodge foods, nope. People can get very fat eating potatoes and mutton as long as there's no restriction on portion sizes and no physical exercise. Also, beer, bread and full fat dairy. The only time my obese friend eats fruit is when she can cover it with cream and have cake on the side.

>it's time to reevaluate how you're spending your days

Shitposting and sleeping.

To me it seems like people underestimate the psychological cause of obesity. It seems like all the people that say "just eat healthy bro" have satisfying lives. But what do you do if a burger or ice cream is the only thing to look forward to in your day?

>But what do you do if a burger or ice cream is the only thing to look forward to in your day?

Or alcohol. I eat once every 1-2 days, and maybe only 500 calorlies. I'm still obese because I drink a liter of whiskey/vodka a day....because I hate my life

there was

>I drink a liter of whiskey/vodka a day
No you do not.

>But what do you do if a burger or ice cream is the only thing to look forward to in your day?
Look to improve your life.

>No you do not.

Unfortunately I do. I only had 600ml yesterday initially (12 shots) because i'm trying to taper. Withdrawls got so bad that I ended up drinking 1.5 liter of wine during the night

Do you know this man, user?

Traditionally weren't the stodge foods winter dishes? Didn't people who had gardens eat lettuces, radishes, carrots, peas, cabbages, cucumbers and the like during the growing season? I agree with you on portion size, but when it comes to traditional dishes the heavy ones were usually winter foods from cold places or festival dishes. Or am I missing something?
>people underestimate the psychological cause of obesity.
You are on to something. I know some people who are obese because they are depressed and jusy want to lay around all day doing nothing. My niece and sister in law probably qualify. But I'd argue for people like that the cure is finding some shit you like to do and getting busy doing it. Over time that could help solve the problem. Cultivating satisfying personal relationships would probably help a lot, too. It's a lot easier to do shit when you have people to do shit with.

Not always possible. Some people just need some satisfying food to get through the day.