Meat noob here. Can someone tell me/confirm what kind of cut of steak this is?

Meat noob here. Can someone tell me/confirm what kind of cut of steak this is?

It says porterhouse, but I thought porterhouse is two common cuts separated by a bone? Googling just made me head hurt so I was hoping someone could explain it to someone with my IQ

I live in australia so we have different names for different cuts, and sometimes things are mislabeled in my stores.What is the american analogue for what you're seeing here?

thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

ncis.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/FACT-SHEET-Animal-related-deaths-final.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah, that doesn't look like a porterhouse.
Maybe a ribeye?

That's a Strip.

Sirloin

I couldn't tell you what cut of steak that is.

But I can tell you this

Meat is absolutely abhorrent, it is inhumane, disgusting, and brutal. Meat and all animal products and byproducts in general are. It is completely objectively 100% unethical, cruel and unusual. Factory farming is some of the most disgusting and terrifying things you will ever see. They treat these animals horribly only to harvest them for our gluttonous delight. We have detached ourselves from our Mother Earth. We have no right to do this to them.

Meat is also very unhealthy, usually loaded with saturated fats and cholesterol. It is also carcinogenic, especially the more it is heated. We do not digest these well as we are basically herbivores as a result of our digestive tracts and our response to eating meat. Our bodies do not efficiently absorb and digest animal proteins and acids, they are inflammatory. They lead to many many chronic diseases. Removing animal products has been shown to possibly almost entirely reverse them in some cases

Meat and animal products are also destroying our environment with their massive and unregulated agricultural practices. Methane emissions from agriculture are some of the absolute most contributory to global warming as a whole. This is our planet, but it's there's too, and our planet is our planet's. We need to keep everything in balance. Animal agriculture does not do this, it is also a monumentally water intensive process.

Everything is interconnected and beautiful. And that is now why I ask you to please stop eating animal products, I love you and you love us, you love them, you love Earth. I implore you to change your ways. I beg you to stop. I beg of you.

Oh god, what a terrible looking steak.

I'd guess sirloin.

I want to say a strip steak except..with no marbling in it??

my thanks

appreciate ya

sounds about right. that's my local grocery stores for ya I guess

alright thx everybody
guess its either a strip or sirloin

I'll concur with the sirloin crew, perhaps top

Do Strayans have an equivalent to the USDA grades?

Dunno where you got it but I'm not sure I'd be able to put out that money for one steak of that marbling

Color is reasonable though

Take care with cooking. That one will get tough easy

Downvoted. You're exactly what's wrong with circlejerk. Instead of posting satire, mocking reddit and being clever and original, you continue to post lame phrases and beat to glue anything that was even remotely funny, all under the guise that you want to show what's wrong with reddit. You don't care about reddit. You belong to the system that this subreddit was made to mock. You seek karma. You seek to be a power-user, a well-known name in a sea of perpetual anonymity. The higher your karma-count, the more you get off on it. You are smug and self-satisfying. You are the problem. There should be a "delete" button below your posts. Start clicking them after you post and you'll find that reddit starts to improve.

Not sure if we have anything similar to USDA grades but I'd be interested to find out so good idea.

Actually it was two steaks, I took one out.

Ty for the advice.

What was the other steak in the package? Was it identical or was it different? They could have removed the T bone for some reason and you ended with a loose strip and a tenderloin filet which is what a porterhouse is for the meat.

Should be identical. The photo of it in the packaging and one on the plate are the two steaks, and from my inexperienced eye they look about the same.

Very smart. I didn't think about that. SO yea OP got ripped.

it's half a porterhouse anyway *shrug*

>I love you and you love us, you love them, you love Earth
I love eating steak.

>he blurred out the IGA label in case someone finds out what suburb he lives in

Yes we do, it's called MSA (meat standards australia)
Google it and you shall learn

Poor cunt IGA's usually won't label it but you should see it at a butcher or Coles

lmao i dunno man it felt right

cool, good information. thank you.

That looks like a ny strip its not a rib eye there is not much marbling

iirc correctly, strayans call strip steaks porterhouses for some ungodly, upsidedown world reason

>iirc correctly

fuck me. it's 5 am in the morning here

ah fuck me, upon googling I think you're right. I think that was actually my first consideration but I quickly assumed, incorrectly, that it would be too stupid to be the case.

$32 a kg is way too much, even with the exchange.

Minimum casual wage in my state, western Australia, is $25/hr. Average weekly wage of both private and public sector is more than $1,500.

That's why you'll see long lines near a petrol station that is charging less than $1.20/L.

>Minimum casual wage in my state, western Australia, is $25/hr.
Sorry meant $22/hr.

OP bought that meat from a supermarket that is known for not being cheap. It's a smaller player than the 2 majors here and if he went up the road to a proper butcher he would have paid about $26per kg.

OP, North or south m8? If north, check out the beef Shed in Malaga, if south check out the butcher at Market city in Canningvale

North of the river. very close to malaga so thanks I will mark down beef shed and give it a visit some time.

good information.
I'll every few months find a whole fillet of steak and slice it up at home, freeze a few steaks and give some away. Works out at about $8/kg.

No worries, my local IGA unfortunately is nollamara so I'm probably not that far from you. Saw a good fight in the car park at chemist warehouse in mirrabooka yesterday too.

Small world ay

The beef Shed have a news letter they send via email, it's always a good laugh because the guy who writes it can't spell and it's full of retarded shit. The prices are well worth a look though. They have a website if you google it

You can buy bulk chunks of meat there too, even cheaper again than just buying steaks already cut and packaged. Last time I was there they had several lambs on hooks ready for the public to buy

I sound like I'm shilling for this place but I have no connection to them other than loving to eat meat and I'm a stingy cunt that doesn't like paying too much for anything

>mirrabooka
>play spot the white
>dodge the abbos at the bus station
>tackle a shoplifter

Pretty much. Some abo guy with a white Mrs got out of his car and started some shit with another abo about him trying to steal his Mrs. Was good value.

Anyway, I live in Tuart Hill which is usually much more peaceful but I just visit the shops in those areas for a few things on occasion.

holy shit guys I know this is Veeky Forums but i need advice. my gf wants to visit aus where do i go to not get shanked by an aboriginal or some stupid shit

Gee OP I'm stumped too

it's a porterhouse (thickness) new york strip (cut) steak

anywhere. I live in what is considered dodgy and most talk about aboriginals is memes. you're fine. aus is safe. each city has its own little ghetto that is obvious, so stay clear of them.

hi m8 absolutely top notch quality post you have there but as stated in the OP the question is about whether it is mislabeled

thanks

he asked what kind of steak it was

the label says porterhouse

that makes two insufferable faggots that can't fucking read in this thread.

Just wear a helmet and mosquito repellent and you'll be 100% safe!
ncis.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/FACT-SHEET-Animal-related-deaths-final.pdf

entrecĂ´te