How can a dishwasher move up to a prep/line cook?

I just got hired as a dishwasher and I want to move up to prep/line cook. I know it will take some time, but how can I move up quick and show them I want to? Any tips guys?

>Work hard
>Wait for someone to be fired/leave for more money

If you are slow in the dishroom ask to help with prep. Don't get caught slacking off during slow times and instead always look for a way to help in the kitchen. Eventually they will either promote you or offer you a job as soon as one opens instead of hiring outside help.

Just offer them help every now and then. Then when someone quits which is inevitable you step in for the time being when they are looking for a replacement.

Suck chef dick, just hover around and snap up everything you can. Take shit duty and offer too do everything they are too hungover/lazy too do. Just be a annoying hangaround.

I went from dishwasher to pantry to fryer in two months...

Which fast food chain did you work in?

they schedule me for on-call garde manger but i'm not really making any progress because the shifts are maybe 1 every week or two and it's hard to retain anything i might have picked up beyond how to do the station correctly. honestly i'm sick of dishwashing and i'm going to fuck off to another property after i use up the rest of my paid time off. it's been a year and a half, i'm not doing shit, time to go.

Fine dinning actually, small place, they only profited $3 m last year.

>spend 2 years working your ass off to maybe get a poverty level job

Why not spend those two years in a fucking trade school and get a job where you can make 40-60k/yr

Just get out and save yourself a life of high hour low wage misery

this desu

Ask Co workers for tips around the kitchen. Make your boss know that you are engaged and want to learn. It will come with time

I was a dish slave, but was lucky enough to have my aunt and a good friend as a cook in the same restaurant. It was a big restaurant out in the boonies. I started helping with prep and the deep frying, and moved up from there.

Truth be told, it wasn't worth it. You might as well work at Walmart for similar pay and less work. There isn't much room to move up, and the pay isn't great.

Now, I work in seafood and cut/ sell firewood, and I make more than triple minimum wage if I put the time and effort in.

>implying those jobs aren't disappearing and never coming back

trades are the only jobs that are never going away. fucking electricians in my state bill $160/hr and lawyers bill $200

the world will always need plumbers, electricians, IT people, mechanics, and other such things. they are literally impossible to replace for less money than they cost with the exception of maybe mechanic but probably not

probably by being a good employee

only cucks actually work in the food industry

Work hard and fast in dish and offer assistance to the kitchen (ask sous chef and chefs only, dont let line cooks tell you what to do unless it's like mid rush or the chef tells you to but that's not related to this).

After like a week or two, you can let them know you are interested in moving to prep or just tell them up front, but be able to prove you can handle it

spend your free time learning how to cook and apply for a job as a cook somewhere else

Clean the dishes so damn fine the head chef be like "Damn, who clean these dishes?" then you can step up and say "I was me chef".

Be fast. Be reliable.

Be fast. Be reliable.

Be fast. Be reliable.

Seriously though, nothing irritates a chef/km more than a dishwasher that can't move out of first gear. Nothing, that is, except someone that calls in every couple weeks. I'd take reliable over fast. Aside from that, anybody that shows a reasonable amount of aptitude and decent work ethic will move fast in a kitchen.

t. Executive Chef that started as a dishwasher.

This 100%

Whenever I got a break I asked if people needed help. It sucks because you are always working when you are at dish and little breaks mean a lot, but its worth it in the end.

Practice fucking cutting.
Depends where you work, but also, watch what they make and cook it at home.

Ask to help with prep when its slow

Be good at washing dishes

Make friends with the cooks so that they'll want you on the line with them. If nothing else, they'll be willing to teach you shit when its slow.

And obviously let them know you actually want to move up

If they don't promote you within 6 months or so you either suck dick or need to consider moving to a new restaurant

Fuck, everybody acting like it's some blessed experience to kiss ass for a slightly less shitty job than dishwashing has obviously never worked in a kitchen before. Unless this is a fucking top-tier place where you could actually make a career, it's not like everyone is going to be rushing around working as hard as possible so enthusiastically. Every kitchen I've worked in would be happy if the dishwasher fucking SHOWED UP. Just don't be a complete fucking loser and tell them during your interview that you'd be happy to move into prep or the line if a slot becomes available. None of this "shine'a shoes boss :D" pathetic shit you're being told to do for your slightly above minimum wage position.

Ask your boss if he has seen Chef.

This, most employers would rather promote someone they trust rather than take a chance on an outsider.

Do your job like you fucking mean it
Tell that you are interested in doing other shit as well and that you are ready to do so whenever they need you.

You're right but it can't hurt to be told the extreme. If you're the kind of person that naturally veers to the stupid bum who never shows up your normal might not be good enough.

for perspective i completely avoided the dishwasher position and went right into garde manger with no experience and only quit because the chef owner was an asshole

Give the kitchen manager or head chef some weed and oxys, and tell him or her you want to learn prep. They're all degenerate druggies.

Btw guys, I'm not trying to make this a career. I like cooking,but I'm also gonna go back to school for engineering. Just trying to move up to cook just for experience and skills becuase I love to cook. I know cooks make shit pay. Waiters usually make a cooksweek pay in one or two nights in tips kek. Only worth it becoming a executive chef or a owner for a successful restaurant

When you have extra time ask if they need any help with prep. Do a few simple tasks to learn. Eventually they will trust you to do more. Learn more. Pick up a shift when the salad guy calls off. Onto fry or grill. Etc.

I actually don't know because in both jobs I've done I've just been trusted right away with both jobs, one is even a japanese restauraunt

Find a pet rat

This. Even if you just get some of the skills and aren't actually certified, so long as you can find shady landlords you can still get around $70 an hour for most trade work.