First time cooking a steak

>first time cooking a steak
>want it to look like pic related
>read about how important it is to heat up the pan to the max
>read about cooking it for around 2 minutes on each side
>heat up the pan
>put in oil, starts smoking like crazy right away
>put in steak, sear it for 3 minutes total (I had a stopwatch)
>ends up being well done
wtf did I do wrong?!

wrong oil

Rest it next time. Also, depends how hot you were heating it at.

I used sunflower oil, which would've been better

YOUR STEAK WAS PROBABLY TOO THIN TO BE COOKED FOR THREE MINUTES ASIDE HENCE THE OVERDONENESS. YOUR COOKING PROCESS WASNT EXACTLY FLAWED BUT REMEMBER YOU CAN ALWAYS COOK AN UNDERCOOKED STEAK MORE BUT YOU CAN NEVER REVERSE THE SHOE LEATHER STATUS OF WELL DONE.

GOOD LUCK.

how thick was the steak? did you have the heat as high as possible? what kind of oil did you use?

Wrong oil....also, when people say hot as possible pan; they really mean max heat to match the smoke point for whatever oil they are using

Also, you probably had a very thin steak. Walmart and Kroger, or equiv in your area, typically only have shitty thin steaks.....you'll need to go to the "nice" grocery store and get something at least 3/4 an inch but preferrablhy an inch or more

HEY FELLOW LOUD POSTER. WERE YOU THE LOUD POSTER THAT INTRODUCED ME TO LOUD POSTING A FEW DAYS AGO IN THAT THREAD WHERE WE MADE "THE THREE LOUD POSTING MUSKATEERS" GROUP!?

>how thick was the steak?
about as much as OP pic related

>did you have the heat as high as possible?
yes, I think if I had waited a bit more the oil could start burning

>what kind of oil did you use?
sunflower oil

I DIDN'T COOK IT 3 MINUTES A SIDE, IT WAS 3 MINUTES IN TOTAL HENCE MY CONFUSION

THAT WAS I INDEED. I SEE YOU ARE WELL. IT IS GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN. I BID YOU GOOD TIDINGS. IT WOULD SEEM WE ARE AT LAST FREE OF THAT TOXIC POSTER WHO THREATENED EVERYONE. LET US SPREAD QUALITY POSTINGS THROUGHOUT THIS BOARD.

You fell for the "let the steak get to room temp before cooking" meme didn't you?

I'M GLAD YOU HAVE FAIRED WELL SINCE OUR LAST ENCOUNTER. I WAS ACTUALLY BANNED FOR LOUD POSTING BUT HAVE MADE MY RETURN.

YES, QUALITY POSTING IS OF THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE. MAYBE WE SHALL MEET AGAIN IN ANOTHER THREAD; UNTIL THEN, GOOD TIDINGS

Was it straight out of the fridge or room temperature?

Yes I did do that, forgot to mention it in the OP. Why is it a meme?

Thirsty faggot

Because it's wrong. You take your steak, season it, put it back in the fridge and then heat your pan.

>Thirsty faggot

NAH, I DRINK A GALLON OF WATER A DAY WHICH KEEPS ME VERY HYDRATED. I PREFER TAP WATER BECAUSE IT HAS A MINERALLY TASTE, YOU SHOULD TRY IT!

INDEED. THEN THEIR ARE TWO VARIABLES REMAINING. THE THICKNESS OF YOUR STEAK IS STILL TANTAMOUNT TO THE COOKING PROCESS. HOW THICK WAS IT? THE OTHER VARIABLE IS YOUR OIL OF CHOICE. IF YOU CHOSE AN OIL WITH AN EXCEPTIONALLY HIGH SMOKE POINT THEN IT IS ENTIRELY POSSIBLE THE HEAT TRANSFER WAS IMMENSE AND IT SIMPLY COOKED AT AN EXTRAORDINARY RATE. IT COULD ALSO BE A COMBO OF BOTH FACTORS.

It's Veeky Forums's version of delete system32

>oil
try following a recepie

fuck off

where do I find good steak at? My local supermarkets only have 1/2" thick "choice" cuts.

A butcher shop.

so I have to drive 30 minutes out of the way just to enjoy a good steak?

feels bad

THANK YOU.

DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO DEGLAZE MY PAN WITH AFTER I COOK THE STEAK?

Next time, grab a beer cooler, and then boil some water to 140. Seal your steak in a plastic bag, and then pour the water in and put the steak in the water for about an hour. It will be cooked to a perfect medium rare.

At this point, if you have a blow torch, sear the outside with that. Alternatively, if you have a charcoal chimney starter, fill it full of coals and get it going well, and then put a grate directly on top of it and sear it on there for about 30 seconds per side.

You could always buy a cow.

The oil fucked you up, but shitty meat means a shitty steak as well.

With steak, dont cut corners. I never get steak from the case. Always, always, always go to the butcher counter, even if you're in like a Kroger. Your most cost effective is a thick (about 3/4 to 1 inch thick) steak from a more high end sulermarket like Whole Foods. If your steak is on a Styrofoam plate covered in shrink wrap, it's shit. That said, if you're still in practice mode they're like 10 bucks cheaper than a good one.

S far as what kind of oil, use olive oil only. If you have truffle oil it's actually way better but it's expensive as fuck and if you're fucking up your steaks you should learn using olive oil first.

When cooking a steak, never put the oil in the pan. Instead, rub the steak with it, then sprinkle a liberal amount of salt on the meat (this makes the salt crust that makes steak taste fucking awesome).

Test the pan with a few drops of water: they should "dance" for a second or two before boiling away. Use a drop of oil to teat as well; if it smokes, the pan is too hot. Just let it cool and heat it up again.

Ultimately learning how to cook steak is just as much about learning your stove. Everyone's stove is a little different, and if you don't know those little quirks, your meal won't come out as you expect. My stove can cook a gorgeous steak with the dial set to 8...But my girlfriends shitty stove needs to be cranked to 10.

As far as marinades and all...I don't fuck with them. The meat should speak for itself, and if the meat you buy needs to be marinated, you're buying shitty meat.

Oh, and lastly: REST YOUR FUCKING STEAK. I know you want to eat it now but let it rest for 5 minutes. It's literally the difference between a good steak and a great steak.

Red wine, something heavy like a merlot or pino noir. Then hit it with herbs de provonce and some s/p...reduce and you got a sauce.

RED WINE IS MY DEGLAZER OF CHOICE. IT ADDS A FULL, SAVORY, AND EARTHY FLAVOR THAT I FEEL CAN NOT BE MATCHED. DO NOT BE TOO HEAVY HANDED WITH THE POUR AS YOU DONT WANT TO END UP WITH A REDUCTION THATS TOO WATERY. COVER AND LET IT REDUCE.

SHERRY IS A GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO RED WINE WHEN DEGLAZING!

This is the Magnum Opus on steak cooked in a pan.

Olive oil truffle oil for searing? Don't teach OP inedible shit!

Lolno. Olive oil has a far lower smoke point than canola or groundnut or even hrapeseed. Olive oil is OK for sautéing, but nothing hotter.

Hrapeseed = grapeseed. I = drunk.

Where do you live m8 if you're drunk atm?

It's my favorite meal.

Also olive oil is fine for a steak.

Rapeseed

>quality posting

You mean shitposting?

Triggered