Do you consider soup to be a meal?

Do you consider soup to be a meal?

SOUP, NO.
STEW, YES.

Yes. In fact I'm making some roasted chicken noodle soup tonight for dinner--that is, if my lazy ass actually leaves the house.

>look up "simple basic soup recipe"
>10,000 ingredients

never making soup ever

fuck that

not usually but sometimes

Chili maybe. Most soups, no.

It depends on what kind of soup we're talking about.

Like, cream of tomato is only a meal if it's accompanied by a grilled cheese sandwich. Other cream based soups are a meal, usually.

It's the easiest meal on earth to make from scratch you twat waffle.

youre objectively wrong

maybe you know how but im not buying 19 ingredients i dont even have enough money and its way too frustrating

If you are poor just stick to the simple ones.

Is ramen considered a soup or a stew?

Depends on the soup.

>Is ramen considered a soup or a stew?
A consommé with weeb garnishes

Easy sure but making a stock from scratch requires more time and ingredients than it's worth.

What are you talking about? You don't need 19 ingredients to make soup, silly.

For a simple tomato soup, try four ingredients: Onion, leek, potato, (canned) tomatoes.Sauté onion (and garlic if available) and leek, add one diced potato and (canned) tomatoes. Season with pepper and salt.

Sauté a bit more, add +--500ml of water, slowly let it warm up, bringing it to a simmer. Add any spices or tastemakers you have available.

Let it simmer for half an hour et voila, you have a simple yet tasty soup that's nutritious as hell.
I like to mix it myself, you can eat it 'chunky' as well.

Don't tell me you find this hard. If you find basic cooking to be difficult, maybe cooking isn't for you man.

This.

Just a little homemade chicken noodle to get this winter started. Really getting cold now.

Next week I'm doing a leek, kale and parsnip/turnip.

What's with the old lady bowls? You suckin' dick?

Did you boil the roast chicken whole to make the stock?

That soup looks pretty light on the chicken.

It depends on how much time you have and how much you want it. If I'm making pho or a really heavy beef soup then I've already had the bones simmering for hours. Or you can use a pressure cooker but I'm not very fond of them unless I'm short on time.

Nah they were a moving out present from the old woman. Haven't had the heart to get rid of them yet.

Roasted the chicken with a mirepoix in a dutch oven for an hour. Then removed the chicken and added water and other scrap vegetables back to the dutch oven and put it on the stove. Dressed the chicken and added the bones back to the stock. Scraped all the caramelized goodness off the bottom and let it simmer for 3 hours. After which I strained, added fresh mirepoix and the chicken back to the mix. Used a very thin egg noodle at the end, turned off the stove and let the residual heat cook the noodles so they come out tender and not over cooked.

There was a ton of chicken in there. Not so much in the picture as that was what was left over after I had jarred the rest to eat over the week.

Fuck yeah, just made my meals for the week bitch.

>water
>vegetable(s) of some kind

literally all you need to make the most basic of soup. Salt+Pepper will be nice of course.

Learn to make the perfect omelette to understand how to use a frying pan. Make soup to understand how flavor works, and how ingredients interact with each other. Baking is a whole different thing but otherwise you're on the right track with cooking.

Starting a soup can be about which vegetables to add and in what order. It takes time, experimentation and practice to be worth a shit at cooking.

Depends, one of my favorite things to do is take canned pinto beans, drain them and add some water. Simmer for a couple hours with lots of onion, cilantro, jalapeno, and bacon/sausage.

Shit is so simple but tasty as all hell.

It depends on how filling it is, a small bowl of miso soup with a sushi entree is a side but a huge bowl of ramen with noodles and meat is an entree on its own

Only Chunky brand
Only Chunky

>put bones in water
>simmer for four hours

What?

A soup and salad or sandwich. Yes.
A soup that's more solid than not, like a stew, vegetable, chicken noodle, etc. Yes.
Something with a high liquid ratio, like a consomme, no..

I remember my mom making Chunky Beef,Cheese, and Potato and distinctly feeling it smelled like my own vomit.

Never touched that shit again.

Potato soup with some fried chorizo and the oil it was fried in on top.

Yes, it's a fucking meal

Depends on the soup. If it is so thin that you could drink it without chewing, then no.

In a restaurant setting if you choose it as a main when another person is having a main, it's a meal. If you both order a soup, or the other guy doesn't order a main, then maybe not. Stews and 'soup and' type deals are meals. Obviously soup and bread doesn't count

You can find dumb recipes that ask for a million ingredients, but all you need for basic soup is liquid stock, potato, veg, other seasoning

pho

Holy fuck, people are useless.

Is overrated.

pho is really good

also I think you're wrong

Soup no. Do I get some toasted sourdought bread, some grated parmesan and some olive oil with the soup? Then yes it's a meal

Jerry was in the wrong here. Armani suits typically cost over a thousand dollars and he gave Jerry one for free. Banya deserved some leeway.

Chicken noodle doesn't technically have to have chicken in it.

wrong

Yes. I even consider a bowl of cereal a meal.

They had an agreement and Kenny was taking advantage of it.

What Kenny did was the equivalent of agreeing to give someone something in return for being taken to the movies. When he is there and doing the thing, he picks the movie, doesn't like it or thinks it's too short and says it doesn't count. The event was the agreed upon thing, the 'not a meal' is an excuse for a second date. He didn't agree on equivalent exchange, he made an agreement then used the fact it wasn't an equal exchange to make Jerry feel like he owed him a favour.