Yet ANOTHER Knife General

I typically don't enjoy Knife General threads, but I'm in the market for a carbon steel knife.
Can't find these things in stores, it's all stainless steel shit so I'm going to need to order online.

Taking recommendations for a blade.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Mercer-Cutlery-Genesis-Forged-Chefs/dp/B000OOQZMY)
amazon.com/Chicago-Cutlery-Ashland-7-75-Inch-Protector/dp/B009GV0PG8/
amazon.com/Chicago-Cutlery-Walnut-Tradition-8-Inch/dp/B0000BYEJ8/
chefknivestogo.com/toshna161.html
japanesechefsknife.com/Page3.html
cleancut.se/butik/knivmodeller/gronsaksknivar
moritakahamonoen.ocnk.net/product/35
amazon.co.uk/Wüsthof-CLASSIC-Cook-s-knife-4582/dp/B00009ZK08/ref=sr_1_1/254-3494788-4020522?ie=UTF8&qid=1482193172&sr=8-1&keywords=wusthof 20cm
chefknivestogo.com/buwena16.html
finejapanesekitchenknives.com/murata-san.php
feineklinge.at/produkte/kuechenmesser/hocho_im_westlichen_design/85-murata_hocho
moritakahamonoen.ocnk.net/product/17
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have you looked into what steel you want under the carbon steel umbrella?

I've been using a 297mm Yasunori Mitsuda Tsubuchume Bōuchōu in Hitori Kasumi Yasunaga Hon-kurochi Super #108 Yellow Steel since last week and honestly if you would settle for anything less you don't know SHIT about food or cooking. Go back to your MacDonalds, I'm completely serious because your cooking will never amount to anything better than pure dog shit

what are the benefits of a carbon steel knife over stainless?

you ----> www.kitchenknifeforums.com

it's old therefore it's good, also I had to learn a not particularly difficult but needlessly wasteful "skill" therefore I'm smarter than you
same with mechanical watches, cast iron pans, revolvers, and stick-shift automobiles
anyone defending these things with a straight face should be punched in the throat and then ignored

I haven't, and I know there's a wide variety. If it's anything like pocket knife carbon steel, I'm fairly partial to 1095. Harder than 1045 but still waaaay more malleable to sharpen than any stainless.

Sharpening carbon steel is stupid easy. What would take an hour on a block with stainless takes minutes with carbon. The edge retention isn't as good, and it's a little more high maintenance (requires oiling often), but it's give and take. The quick sharpening time is what I'm interested in.

Sabatier k or 4 elephant authentic.

these are the original pattern for the gyuto stolen by the japanese anyway and the quality maintains

Stainless steel is a much better steel for kitchen cutlery.

In addition to being more rust resistant (not rust proof) It is also harder and retains a better edge for longer because the chromium in stainless steel is an extremely hard element.

Stainless is brittle though, so "carbon steel" is more suitable for impact tools like axes and hammers. Don't be an idiot and get a "carbon steel knife".

in fact, why not just direct everyone who posts on this board to an alternate cooking-related forum because god forbid anyone ever discuss topics related to food and cooking on the food and cooking board

Vg10 is an excellent kitchen steel

To be honest, as a cook, I don't know those steels. Most gyutos are made from white #1, white#2, blue #1 and blue #2. Here are the pros and cons of carbon vs stainless steel.

1. Carbon steel is harder on the Rockwell scale. This means they'll hold their edge longer than stainless.

2. Carbon steel will catch a good edge with fewer passes on a stone than stainless.

3. Carbon steel is highly reactive and will rust faster than stainless.

4. Carbon steel will chip easier than stainless.

That's about it.

Why shouldn't I get this knife? I'm coming from a stamped stainless steel wusthof (german profile, no finger guard) and when I slice green onions I get the accordion effect. I was recommended to go with a french profile like pic related, but I was getting some saying the bolster/fingerguard will fuck me as I sharpen it. I rarely sharpen my knife now, I just use a steel about 4x's a week. I'm a homecook but I cook about over 15 meals a week. Should I listen and look for a jap version of a 10" french knife?

>Carbon steel is harder on the Rockwell scale. This means they'll hold their edge longer than stainless.

Are you sure that's entirely true?? My understanding of having worked with carbon steel is that it's softer than stainless steel. Perhaps carbon steel for cooking differs than carbon steel for other utility uses, but carbon being harder than stainless just doesn't sound right to me.

Fact check?

Veeky Forums is entertaining for sure, but but for actual competence a specialized forum is still hard to beat.
Some of the world's best knifemakers and several owners of the leading high-end knife shops in the US are regulars on that site.

no, this is a good choice. your cutting issues are technique, not blade, this won't fix the problem, maybe just make it easier for you to fix your issues

>Some of the world's best knifemakers and several owners of the leading high-end knife shops
>some of the world's best shills and bullshit artists

yep

I have the choice of a chef's knife or a santoku, what do?

Chef for all-purpose.
Santoku for cutting dem veggies.

Ok so here's my question. A knife from wallmart costs 1$. They only.last about a month. But there sharp enough to cut my meat and veggies. So for 12$ a year I can have sharp knifes year round. My question is why should I buy a 50$ knife? Is it can stay good for 4 years if I take care of it? And if all its doing is cutting shit what's the real difference? Or is the knife more like a status symbol thats better at cradling an ego then it is cutting a roast?

has anyone used a knife from north arm before? they are a relatively unknown small company in british columbia and I tested their chef's knife, it cut beautifully but I bet many knives can with proper sharpening, I suspect I may get one as a christmas gift so I wanna know

Rate my patina.

get the wustoff version

you aren't getting full contact with the blade, cut more toward the tip

Chef's. I've been a professional cook for 7 years and have been cooking all my life, and Ive never needed a santoku over a chef's. I've honestly never understood why they exist, and always assumed there was some obscure japanese use for them.

they are good for chopping green onions

Because kitchens are full of aspies who want SPECIAL JAPANESE KNIFE

Santoku style can suck my dick

>anything you can do i can do better

Seriously though, there's nothing about the design of a santoku that makes them particularly well suited for chopping green onions or vegetables in general compared to a Western chef's knife. Some people just prefer the shape/style (and yes, Rachel Ray played a large part in popularizing them in the US, which by itself makes them kind of faggy in my opinion).

>taking advice from a country that eats with sticks

SANTOKU A SHIT

RACHEL RAY A SHIT

>reading comprehension

I WAS AGREEING WITH YOU PIG DOG

Okay. It sure didn't come off that.

A decent knife can last you much longer then four years if you keep it sharp. Like most things in life, if you invest into something that takes some upkeep it'll have a longer useful life.

Going from a cheap Walmart knife (even if you take care of it) to a decent $100+ knife is like going to the doctor and being told that one leg is 6 inches longer than the other, being given a special shoe to correct the problem, and then realizing that you've been living for years with all sorts of back pain and soreness, but were so used to it that you didn't even realize that life could be much much better. You'll be like, "holy shit! why have I been wasting all those years of my life struggling in pain!" All of a sudden you will look forward to doing prep work and take special care of your new knife like it's your baby.

A chef's knife is the most important tool you have in the kitchen, and three figures really isn't that much money for a decade plus investment if you plan on cooking somewhat regularly. It's not a status symbol; I'd have a nice knife even if I lived alone and never had anyone over to my place.

It is factually correct. At least with carbon steels that I know of. A high carbon steel is harder, holds a better edge and, according to some, takes a better edge.

I use carbon steel because I think they look cool. If you are willing to do the upkeep and like the ~°*AESTHETIC*°~ , I highly recommend them. Nothing wrong with stainless at all, but know what you're buying and know that, unlike with carbon steel where price can vary widely on many factors, price usually dictates quality.

I have a serious problem, Veeky Forums. I keep going to second hand stores to buy old and abused knives and then I spend 2 hours sharpening each one until they're sharp as a razor (and they tend to stay sharp as a razor for a long time). At this rate I'll eventually be proficient enough to start making money off of it.

>Can't find these things in stores
Try calling any restaurant supply stores in your area. Try dedicated knife shops if you have any, too.

Because they actually know what they're talking about when it comes to knives unlike this weeaboo circle jerk.

Just ordered victorinox chefs knife. Did I fuck up?

You did fine.

What are Veeky Forums's thoughts on these sort of sharpeners? Do they work? How do you even use them? I bought one on a whim from some Chinese shop (a red one which I now realize is far more coarse)

Spyderco sharp maker. It sharpens the 420hc, 1095, s30v, s35vn knives that I own and it's easy as fuck to use.

In addition, I use 3M 3000 and 5000 grit trizact paper as a strop.

Good for beginners.

Budget? Location?

y u give us nothing

am member on here, holla

>Budget? Location?

~$150
West Coast

>not a good cook
>buy cheap 15$ knife kit for kitchen
>dishwasher

had them for under 2 months and they're already getting rust spots. what gives?

Reposting this here because I'm dumb:

I moved in with my girlfriend about 4 months ago and she only has really bad knives.

For Christmas I want to buy her a decent knife to make her life cooking for us a lot easier.

What's a good knife to buy her on a budget?

I read that this Mercer is the best for the money, but I know nothing about these things. (amazon.com/Mercer-Cutlery-Genesis-Forged-Chefs/dp/B000OOQZMY)

Anything you guys could do to help me would me a HUGE help. Thanks you.

that thing is meme tier but the normal Mercer knives are just fine

those are ok but so are the premium Chicago knives and they're cheaper but the same quality.

you don't need to spend more than $20-30 for a really very good chef's knife these days, although you can spend more anytime you want. at Wal Mart the secret is to skip the bottom tiers and buy the most expensive non-celebrity branded knife on a line.

this
amazon.com/Chicago-Cutlery-Ashland-7-75-Inch-Protector/dp/B009GV0PG8/
or
amazon.com/Chicago-Cutlery-Walnut-Tradition-8-Inch/dp/B0000BYEJ8/
or this

That's why you buy the expensive wal*mart knife, n00b.

after you get over about $40-50 for a knife, everything about it is simply a style or preference chioce, performance is a given. You're buying sizzle at that point, which is fine, just don't be confused about that fact

>For Christmas I want to buy her a decent knife to make her life cooking for us a lot easier.
lol I bought m̶y̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ my girlfriend a Shun a while ago for Xmas too

Budget, desired shape and steel?
I guess you want a regular chefs knife, nothing special like a nakiri?
Are you planning to sharpen the knife in the future?
How long do you want it to be?

This came in the mail a few weeks ago. Love it.Sharp as fuck out of the box and looks kinda cool.
chefknivestogo.com/toshna161.html

What is the proper way to hold a knife, in Veeky Forumss opinion?

How's the handle? I'm thinking about getting a Nakiri myself, most likely carbon steel. But I've never had a handle like this and coming from my current knives, the Tojiro HQ handle looks like it'd be perfect for me.
Sadly there's no carbon steel version of that knife and I'm not sure whether I'd be happy with these pretty unergonomic looking japanese handles...

How much did you dish out for that Nakiri?

I thought the same thing, being used to western handles on my other knives, but this was surprisingly very comfortable. I find no issues with it whatsoever.

I only use it for veggies, so it's not an all purpose knife, but I've had no ergonomic/handling issue at all.

Like I said, surprisingly comfortable. I've read that they should be oiled regularly, in addition to (obviously) not letting water sit on them, so there is a little more "work" involved in owning one, but the sharpness and feel of them (in my opinion) makes it worth the extra work.

I'm in Canada, and I ordered some oil with it as well, so it came to almost $100 CDN,including shipping.

Well worth it, IMO.

This is the oil I got.

Well they're supposedly much easier to sharpen, so you'll probably get some of the time back later.
Thanks for your opinion, I guess I'll just have to try it out.
Hope you'll have fun with your new knife

From what I hear yea. I'll find out once it seems a little dull (still a laser, at this point).

Thanks!

Everyone has Mercer at the fine dinning restaurant I work at.

I just got the Amazon knife set for $20

most common at my property is korin, followed by wusthof. shoutout to the bistro cs with the tojiros.
i'm the guy with the takedas.

>Love it.Sharp as fuck out of the box
People who don't know anything about knives always say this.

>West Coast

As in US? Check out Gesshin Uraku at JKI. A good budget option western handle/style but carbon blade is Fujiwara FKH. There are really a ton of other options if you search around.

Tojiro Shirogami? The quality on these aren't very good. And you can get them on ebay direct from Japan for around $60 CAD. Also fuck CKTG.
It is fully carbon.

The ones with a handle from the HQ series are stainless, that's why I asked about the handle on this one, as I just can't believe that they are comfortable.

Any recommendations for a carbon steel nakiri with either a western, or at least a black handle for around 100€?

I inherited an old as fuck chef's knife made in West Germany. I tried getting it professionally sharpened but it dulled within a few weeks. Not sure if I should try to rehabilitate it or get a new knife

Post pic.

I am in Taiwan and going to Japan soon. Should I buy something here?

My company gave me pic related for Christmas. Apparently it's a "tomato knife"? Is this a thing people use? Or are the Japs just crafty merchants?

Why not just use a sharp fucking knife to cut tomatoes?

>Why not just use a sharp fucking knife to cut tomatoes?
the same reason you use a serrated knife for bread. It's easier.

I wonder if Mr. Itou's knives are any good

japanesechefsknife.com/Page3.html

Ah now I get what you mean, the DP series is called the HQ series in Europe.

So you're looking for a western or black J-handled Nakiri? It's kind of a tough find because there aren't many Western handled nakiris out there and the budget ones are most often light ho-wood handles. I don't think I can even find a black handled all carbon one, just dark brown. I know Tanaka has very cheap Nakiris with black western handles, but they aren't carbon.

Check out:
-Takeo Murata (Buho), cuttingedge had them but they're out of stock
-Moritaka (you can order direct from Japan and it's very cheap)
-Zakuri (only if you're really on a budget, I can't find the Nakiri on my sources though)

Might as well do some pics then

I'd get the stamped Mercer Millennia instead and save some money.

Oh also check out cleancut.se/butik/knivmodeller/gronsaksknivar

They have some nice Shiro Kamo nakiris for a good price and other options to look at.

Thanks a lot m8, just looked through the ones you posted.
Regarding budget, I'm currently a student, so I'd like to keep it as cheap as possible, but as expensive as necessary.

The Moritaka looks really dope, but isn't a hardness of 64-65 rockwell a little high? It'd be my first carbon steel knife, pretty much my first good knife alltogether, so sharpening and taking care of the knife will be new for me anyway. Don't that hard steels tend to chip really easy? Or is it an okay choice for a newby?

I stumbled over Zakuri as well and their pricing is pretty lowkey. Their Bunka looks dope as fuck as well...
What's wrong with them that you only recommend them, if I'm on a really tight budget?

The Murata looks really, really cool, but I'm not sure whether I'll be able to afford that. This is the same one, isn't it?
moritakahamonoen.ocnk.net/product/35
I still got 1200 yen on zenmarket (an import service), so this might be reasonable priced I guess?

Oh god I'm a retard. I completely confused Murata and moritaka in the last part. Got me a link to a japanese site that sells the Murata stuff?

Should I buy knives online, or find a store? In the UK (London).

I'm thinking of buying a Wusthof Classic; the one my family has doesn't have the Trident branding. Is this an off brand type version?

Also, what length should I get? 20cm?

amazon.co.uk/Wüsthof-CLASSIC-Cook-s-knife-4582/dp/B00009ZK08/ref=sr_1_1/254-3494788-4020522?ie=UTF8&qid=1482193172&sr=8-1&keywords=wusthof 20cm

Woah, Murata looks pretty promising. These look pretty dank, but I'm not sure whether they are the same knife, as the name "takeo" is missing in some of the offerings and the embossed writing is different.
chefknivestogo.com/buwena16.html (2 Kanji)
finejapanesekitchenknives.com/murata-san.php (4 Kanji)
feineklinge.at/produkte/kuechenmesser/hocho_im_westlichen_design/85-murata_hocho (3 Kanji)

Especially the price of the latter is pretty great, but I never heard from the shop and I'm kind of hesitant, since I don't know whether it's the same knife... Can you help me out here? Because that's pretty much exactly what I've been looking for

No worries I was pretty bored. So, why a Nakiri as the first one if I may ask? A Gyuto is way more versatile and many prefer the longer sizes they come in. I actually do have a Bunka and even that it more versatile than a Nakiri.

I haven't used a much harder knife so I can only answer theoretically, people prefer the performance and edge retention of high rockwell ones.

The Zakuris are a good deal but the fit and finish is reported to be not that good. Actually, people have also had problems with the Moritaka knives. I was more thinking the cheaper Moritaka which is only 60 HRC: moritakahamonoen.ocnk.net/product/17

I'm not sure on Japanese Murata sellers, and I'm not sure if those differ (because I can't read Kanji). I'd head over to kitchenknifeforums.com and shoot all the questions you asked me to them, they're way more experienced than me and they have a form you can fill out for suggesting a knife. They're also super helpful.

Ran out of room, my guess is that it's cheaper because it was made by a different blacksmith than Takeo himself? The actual blacksmith that made the knife affects the pricing significantly sometimes.

I already got a regular kitchen knife and after christmas probably another one (a zwilling Pro most likely). I don't want a carbon knife for that for now though. I got no issue with taking care of carbon steel after actually cooking, but if I only cut up a lemon for some ice tea, I don't want to oil that shit up or something.
I always liked these chinese cleavers (for veggies), but I don't want a 700g-1kg knife. A Nakiri seems like a good alternative to me. Also I really like the way they look, although Bunkas look pretty rad as well.
I'm using a lot of veggies (I eat really, really few meat) for the stuff I cook and want to cook in the future, so I guess a Nakiri will come in handy at times.

I just wrote a mail to the cheap seller from austria and the guys from zenmarket, maybe they can tell me some more. If that doesn't work out, I'll probably look into the forum and ask there I guess.
Thanks for your help so far, really helped me out a lot!

That trident "branding" wears off after a while.

That said, knives are like shoes, never order online unless you already know you like the brand.

All you care for is how sharp the knife is? What about balance? What about handle conform? Grip?

It's just a matter of preference

A lot of Japanese homes only use a santoku

A lot of Chinese homes only use a meat cleaver

I almost exclusively use a santoku (and a paring knife)

>General

>Stainless steel is a much better steel for kitchen cutlery.
>Stainless steel is a much better steel
>Stainless steel is

People who literally don't know a single fucking thing about the subject should keep their nonsense to themselves.

>A lot of Chinese homes only use a meat cleaver

You seem to be confusing a chinese cook's knife with a meat cleaver.

Chinese knives might look like a cleaver at a casual glance, but they're very thin and light like most chef's knives, santokus, etc. Pic related. this is nowhere near as thick as a meat cleaver.

that's you, because almost without exception stainless cutlery steels have MORE carbon in them than carbon steels.

>pwned

Relatively pure carbon steels are neither intrinsically harder or softer than highly alloyed stainless steels.

Rather, pure carbon steels can be heat treated to a higher hardness range than most (but not all) stainless cutlery steels, and tend to resist microscopic apex chipping better at those higher hardness ranges.

Since wear resistance is largely irrelevant to a kitchen knife (since almost 100% of the wear will be from cutting board contacts), and not much toughness is needed on a kitchen knife that won't be used on bones, it is then sensible to optimize the blade for minimizing it's propensity to microscopically chip or roll at the apex from cutting board contacts.

This is achieved by having a very high hardness and by minimizing the (non iron) carbide content, thus relatively pure carbon steels are nearly ideal.

There also happen to be a couple of stainless steels that behave very similarly to pure carbon steels and can be made almost as hard: AEB-L is the best known amongst them, and was designed specifically to essentially be a stainless version of a carbon steel.

To really see this, look at Japanese kitchen knife forums and see how people complain about their Tojiro DPs micro-chipping more than their pure carbon steel blades because VG-10 has less apex stability than the White and Blue paper steels.

Please stop trying to talk about subjects you know absolutely nothing about.

>BOOM HEADSHOT

sucks to be stupid, but you'll get over it

Why do you think those more highly alloyed steels have more carbon in them? What do you think the effect of that higher carbon content is? What do you believe the relevance of those effects to kitchen cutlery is?

Hint: You may want to start by Googling carbide formation and the carbon saturation line...

Good job

I have a $50 budget to buy my GF a knife for Christmas, what should I get?