Am i going to die from this?

does anyone know why my rice has these black/brown spots all over it? :(

I know that rice tends to have them but pretty much all of my rice corns have it?

It's probably just pieces of the bran.

do I get diarrhea from it tho?

No.

ok thx, much appreciated

you're looking at the bottom of the bowl OP

I suspect weevil larvae or eggs. Just a bit of added protein. It won't hurt you.

looks like eggs of some sort, avoid.

Literally just pieces of rice that got burnt.

Agreed. It's usually weevils. Harmless, just gross to most people. The little fuckers can get in any dry grains. Check the bag well before you buy it and store it in a container they can't get into.

Do you wash your rice before you cook it? Might be eggs.

Was gonna say that's a good test for possible weevils. When you get a bunch of floating grains, they're usually hollowed out. The grain weevil drills a hole in the grain, lays an egg, and the larva eats it from the inside out before it leaves. It's a pretty common thing in big granaries, and doesn't necessarily mean there are any bugs still there. Might be just a couple in a million. However, if there are a shit ton of floaters, you should probably toss that bag so they don't come out and invade the whole pantry.

I bought a bag of popcorn kernels once where every other one was eaten. Found like 10 adult weevils in it. Disappointing. Popcorn doesn't pop when the seed coating has a hole in it. Little assholes.

I store my rice in an air-tight container and still got those little buggers after a couple of weeks. The bag was Walmart's generic brand so that could be a factor. I bought a new bag from an Asian grocer and have been rinsing my rice and so far so good.

BTW, what's the proper way to rinse rice? I've been measuring out the grains, putting them in a larger bowl, rinse water over them, pour out water while my hand covers the rice, and repeat for two or three times. There's an easier way, right?

The main reason for the multiple rinse thing is that you don't actually have to tip the pot completely sideways and use your hand, risking losing rice down the drain. Each successive rinse makes the water a little cleaner. It's still just the best way. Rinsing in a colander or something doesn't let you swish the grains around or show you floaters or chaff.

And that probably meant there were a couple weevils in the bag of Walmart rice when you bought it. Sucks, but it happens sometimes.

Strainer+bowl of water mustard race

The brown stripe is a small part of the rice's husk left over that didn't get stripped.

Wait, do people actually throw shit out for weevils?

In my house my ma always just went "yeah, extra protein" and cooked whatever. Are they harmful somehow? Is there a reason to throw them out?

I have never in my life seen or heard of rice weevils and I sat rice at least three times a week, what the fuck are they and would I notice them?

I stick my grains in the chest freezer for a few days before i put it in dry storage . Havent seen a weevil sense.

underrated

rice weevils are harmless. it's the greevils you've gotta watch out for