How do I get into wine?

How do I get into wine?
I recently had some red wine for the first time and I liked it a lot. I never buy wine though because there are just too many to chose from and I dont know which of them is good. None of my friends/family drink wine so I figured Veeky Forums was my only hope.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V7BWOiysvSo
winefolly.com/review/the-story-of-tokaji-wine/
nytimes.com/2015/12/02/dining/tokaji-aszu-wine.html
learn.winecoolerdirect.com/decanting-vs-aerating/
arrowheadwine.blogspot.ca/2014/11/aerate-or-decant.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauvignon_blanc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pop corks, take notes.
You can look at wine aroma/taste wheels if you need common descriptors -- but if a wine reminds of you Lucky Charms, then that's better than getting the hints of earth and plum.

Getting started is easier if you're near a decent wine shop. Have them assemble an affordable mixed case of bottles, then have a blast drinking them w/ food, w/ friends, solo with a movie.

When you're done, take your notes back to the shop - see what you liked/didn't - and you're on your way to developing a palate.

Your local shop will be a lot better with actual wines available in your region/pricepoint than dudes on the internet.

Nice thanks for the reply. Since Im a student it doesnt look like Ill be able to afford a case of wine for a while but its definately on my bucket list.

I drank wines for many years mostly red,various grapes types,various price range and finally stopped.
Wines are hard on the liver and I got bored with the buzz they give.
Red wines will make you sleepy and tired, whites not so much,white wine gives more clearer buzz.
Red wines will make your teeth dark.
Of course more expensive better wines will have more complex taste but after 3 glasses you will not notice that that much.
Overall waste of money if you drink wine by it self just to get the buzz.
To have glass or two with food if is well paired with food could be rewarding I guess.
Again, reds will make you tired and sleepy give headache and darken your teeth, whites not but whit wines have more sugars in them.
Also remember wines have quite hight level of calories so you might gain weight and your liver will suffer more from wines than from drinking harder liquors like vodka scotch brandy rum, but all alcohol damages liver if over consumed.
Another thing in wines is the Sulphur dioxide (a sulphite) that is added as a preservative, some people have allergies to it.
Home made wines could be made without them but those wines will not age long (maybe max 1 year in cooler storage room).
Overall wines become boring for me to drink.

Im just trying to become more knowledgable about the subject, bot necessarily become a complete alcoholic, but I can understand where youre coming from. I guess I just like the classy lifestyle associated with wine lol.

OK, in that case I will strongly suggest you do it this way.
Buy two bottles of wine one cheap wine other twice or three times the price but of the same grape variety, both the same or red or white, (remember that red wine should "breath" after opening min 30 min in the bottle or be decanted in order to release it's flavours)
and best way to start learning about wines is to drink it in so called "blind" testing.
Get a friend to put each bottle in brown paper beg so you can not see the labels and the top of the bottle neck,so you don't know wich is wich.
And start sipping each wine and compare how it taste and after few sips make your comments about them and declare wich one you like better
and after that look at each bottle to see if indeed more expensive wine was better or not in your opinion.

This is not always the case that more expensive wine will taste better, there are few factors, starting with producer, country wine come from, year grapes were harvested.
Same grape varieties from the same vineyard made by the same wine master from different year might taste very different.
Some years will have better weather conditions and the grapes will have better taste (sugars,etc) then other years and wines made from them might be great wines or just so so wines.

Wines have many angels to them, as you can see already.
I like the "blind" wine tasting because you are not influenced by the labels, price, origin etc.
There are people who are organizing house parties "blind" wine tasting each person brings bottle or more or the host supplies wines and guests chip in money for it.
Could be lot's of fun, you get a card and score each wine and bottles are revealed at the end.

And of course you know that, read some articles on the net how to start understanding wines.

As to the classy lifestyle associated with drinking wines, haha, watch out, it could be snobbish as well lol but it could be also fun if done in moderation.

Have fun

Pic related. Look around the inside for the big taste and try and work your way outward. Smell from the top of the glass, swirl around and then smell again. Sip, then swish it around your mouth to try and pinpoint flavors. If you cook/eat a lot of different flavors it's not actually that hard to develop your wine palate.

The main metrics (besides) taste is:
"weight" on the palate (how long the taste lingers)
dry/sweet (sometimes it's easy to confuse "fruity" with sweet, but you'll figure out the difference).
acidic/smooth (acidic wines might seem a little astringent on their own but they go better with food)
tannin level (for red wine) (it's like the feeling you get when you lick some tree bark).
New world wines tend to be fruitier, while old world wines tend to be more earthy. Also a lot wines will also have an oaky taste because they'll be aged in oak barrels).

Figure out how to calibrate your taste on these different axes to judge one wine from another. I have the Pocket Wine app which is a little database. Don't worry if you don't like something either--instead, figure out why you don't like it and try and articulate it. I mainly drink wine to pair with food.

if you're broke, go to trader joe's or costco or three wishes from whole foods and try out different varietals. They won't be the most amazing versions of these wines but you'll get a decent idea of the styles that you can then explore the ones you want.

when you go to a house/dinner party, use that as an excuse to buy a bottle of something you're meaning to try and then open it/drink it there.

when you have dinner, opt for a glass of red/white and taste it. pester your server for descriptions and see if you can match up with what they are saying.

I was surprised at how easy it was to "get into" wine. I also am a pretty avid home cook so I might have a slightly better-than-average palate, but still, it's not rocket science.

Replies like this is why I love the internet. Thanks. The blind taste testing is a cool idea. Also sounds like it could be fun with some friends.

I got into wine by having it casually with sunday roast dinners. Red specifically. I can drink white, but I think red offers a fuller taste. I would try different wines from different regions and price range. Sometimes Ive bought a bottle of expensive stuff, like 40 quid and thought it was garbage compared to a bottle at 6 quid. Develop your own taste, and experiment often.

Don't listen to this prick. He needs to fuck back to plebbit with his paul giamatti sideways bullshit.

Just buy stuff and try them out.

here, this and this it's me, the other post is not, you stupid unsophisticated prick

here. i know you're mad that the mods banned joey threads and nobody's bumping your 'go 'za posts but the grown ups are talking.

>Develop your own taste
Silly concept,
if wine is shitty you can not develop your taste and convince yourself that the wine is great.
Shitty wine is shitty wine, flat boring tasteless grape juice with alcohol in it.
Especially red expensive wines will taste nothing special if drunk right just after opening, reds must breathe (30-45 minutes) to 'open' up.

Try it if you don't think this is the case..buy two bottles of the same red open one bottle let it sit on the table, after 45 minutes open second bottle
pour both (in separate glasses of course you moron,lol) and try them.
There will be difference for sure.

>unsophisticated

I'm sorry. I didn't realize how CLASSY you are.

the problem with gentlesirs isn't that the idea of a social hierarchy based on taste doesn't exist (it very much does), it's that neckbeards are unable to authentically convey elevated taste and their attempt to do so is hilariously cringeworthy.

all you truely have to do to appreciate wine is drink a different bottle each time and remember what you like about the ones you think are good, and then use those descriptions when ordering wine.

If its too sweet, or too dry, or too bland, try and actually drink it slowly, finding out what you don't like specifically about it, and use that to describe what you dont like in wine.

Then apply your learnings to liqour store employees and restaurant staff when trying to find something new.

>authentically convey elevated taste
There is no such thing as elevated taste you snob.
Things have taste or they don't have taste or they have very little taste.
There are simple tastes or more complex tastes, but elevated tastes?? what are they??
You just trying to sound like you are some snob who knows everything but in reality you are sounding like pulp.

>pulp
What did the autist mean by this?

I'm an amateur wine-drinker but I love the shit.

Here's what I do:

1. convince myself it's okay to drop 40 dollars in one day on a variety of alcohols
2. go to a grocer with a large enough variety and decent repute
3. grab as many bottles as I can for budget, aim for bottles that are priced somewhere in the 6 to 12 dollar range, maybe go as high as 15 if I'm feeling like partying
4. try to get a variety, like one portuguese temprilla del something, a German riesling, a French rose, maybe a South African, a Taiwanese or Japanese for shits and giggles
5. pop a couple bottles open, drink half a glass of each
6. tell myself I should take notes
7. don't take notes
8. if I liked a bottle, buy it again; if I didn't, fuck that

and that's it, really. also have some cheeses and breads on hand if you really want to get into it. it's nice to have wine, cheese, bread, and a good movie or drama to chill with after work.

ask google you pulp

I meant develop your own taste as in by experimenting often, OP will develop a taste for what is good and what is bad.

OK, I misunderstood you, sorry user.

I'm trying to find a decent spirit for my mother for her birthday. It has to be pretty cheap (got her other things and I'm a student) so I was thinking E&J XO brandy or Manischewitz.

I know nothing about wine and she usually drinks chilled, boxed white wine. She doesn't like red wine and she's picky so I'm trying to find something that is easy to sip.

Any recommendations or advice would be nice.

>manischewitz
>decent
it's like an alcoholic popsicle. it was nice when I was a little kike growing up, but as an adult I don't think I could stomach it.

try cupcake riesling or some kind of moscato, yellow tail or barefoot or something if it has to be sweet.

>wine

Don't you mean grape juice? Takes 2 bottles to even get a buzz.

this isn't /alc/

>Manischewitz
those wines are very sweet and really nothing special,they give hangover because of high sugar level if your mom get's more than 2 glasses
the E&J XO brandy is much better much classier choice in my opinion, she can have it straight sipping or with tea or coffee during winter time.

Why not just wipe your ass with singles then. If you want to get into tasting go with whiskey. Wine is a pleb tier hobby to begin tasting in. Even expert tasters can't tell the difference between a $5 and a $50 bottle when compared in a blinded taste test. There's articles debunking the whole thing if you aren't too lazy to read about it.

Whiskey tasting is different. Even the most novice of whiskey drinkers can tell a cheap one from a bad one due to the flavors being more complex and emboldened when treated and aged with proper care and time.

I found this opinion about this E&J XO

"...I’m not a brandy snob, I’m an Englishman but I’ve consumed a lot of brandy from the wildly cheap to the wildly expensive.
And I know what tastes good and what doesn’t. I tried E & J X.O. Extra Smooth and was really amazed. I thought it was going to be OK at best.
It was better than the most expensive French Brandy I’ve tried. Absolutely divine, darlings! I generally shy away from American brandies because they give me a headache and don’t taste that great. This stuff was an utter revelation.
Nectar of the gods! Velvety smooth, with notes of vanilla, caramel, pear, maple syrup and a soupcon of cinnamon.
I read a review that panned this product. Either the bottle was spoiled, or the reviewer’s taste buds were.
Do yourself a favour and try a bottle of this wonderful stuff!"

I might try it my self, I do like brandies.
This brandy does have sweeteners (brown sugar, maple syrup) and some other flavours added, it's not typical brandies like the French or others do just straight grape brandy nothing added.

Here is interesting video review on it, this guy knows his booze lol

E&J X.O. (Extra Old) Brandy
youtube.com/watch?v=V7BWOiysvSo

>unironically promoting shitty brandy
Don't listen to this pleb. Get Camus instead.

>Even expert tasters can't tell the difference between a $5 and a $50 bottle
You are so very wrong my friend, so very wrong on that.
I guess you will never know why.
Since you never had side by side blind testing done and with such great price difference you will taste the difference after first sip.

It would be like tasting MC'shitDonal's burger and burger made by chef Ramsay or other great chef.

>Whiskey tasting is different. Even the most novice of whiskey drinkers can tell a cheap one from a bad one due to the flavors being more complex and emboldened when treated and aged with proper care and time.

I can say the same thing about whiskey, but it will be the same stupid lie like your crap you said about wine.
I did had many different whiskeys from $40 - $200 and some of them in the lower price range $40-$80 could be very difficult to tell if one is better than other and worth double the price.

Don't make yourself sound stupid please.
BTW, you are doing very good job sounding stupid all over few Veeky Forums boards.

>Get Camus inste
hey you,stupid.
that poster said that's the choice he is thinking of getting and want's to keep in lower price range.
Learn to read English and comprehend what you reading insecure homo creep.
Lowest priced Camus is easy triple the price of E&J XO and not from what my buddy said not that much better, better of course but not 3 times better.

When you go into &100/bottle of Camus you will get the difference, it's the same as with artificially overpriced whiskeys you will pay more for the name than for the spirit quality.

That's why I go with cheap bottles priced between 6 and 15 dollars, because after 30 dollars there's no improvement in quality and most of the highest rated wines are 15 to 25 dollars a bottle anyway.

If you can't discern between wines, your problem is that you smoke too fucking much and your palate is non-existent. Some wines are sweet as hell while others are drier than the desert. Some have a thin, watery taste while others have a thick, smoky taste. Yes, I agree that bullshit like "hints of apricot and raspberry" is just fufu bullshit, those are the small differentiating factors that probably won't even be the same between two people, but there are still large factors that vary between bottles.

If you're not into wine, fucking fine dude, but to say "there's absolutely no way to tell the difference between two bottles of wine" is pure stupidity. It's like saying there's no way to tell the difference between coke and root beer.

>buying $20 brandy
>buying the shittiest $20 hard liquor
You are much better buying a bottle of Jack or cheap whisky/rum/vodka if you want a cheap hard liquor. Cheap brandy is some of the worst thing and that includes E&J.
St. Remy XO is better than E&J XO desu and it's still pretty fucking bad

>If you're not into wine, fucking fine dude, but to say "there's absolutely no way to tell the difference between two bottles of wine" is pure stupidity. It's like saying there's no way to tell the difference between coke and root beer.
You said it good user.
he is just a pissy pussy poser who knows shit about real life.

>because after 30 dollars there's no improvement in quality
On this I will disagree with you though, to a point.
Some times high price is not because the wine is so much better but because there is very small number of cases available, just few thousands (12 bottles per case), lets say 1 or 2-4 thousand of cases (or what ever the number is) and the wine is very good but low number of bottles available calls for higher price.
Exactly the same as with rare whiskey or brandies.

Also for example take the Pino Noir wines. They are nice lighter reds,many people like the lighter sipping no food wines or just with desserts,
but the Pino Noir grapes are very difficult to grow.
The biggest challenge with Pinot Noir grapes is their thin skins. This makes them sensitive to temperature fluctuation and susceptible to sunburn.
The thin skins also mean that rot, fungus and mildew can become problems.

Because of this, Pinot Noir typically does better in cooler climates, but growing grapes in cool climates can be tricky. Pinot Noir also has a propensity to low yields, which means there is less room for error.
And therefore they cost more.

And yes, sometimes pricier wines are not worth 3 times the price, they are not 3 times better , but just only 2 times better, or what ever the case is.
To generalize that after $30 there is no better taste is not correct friend.
I had once 50 years old Porto, it was like drinking velvet,the taste buds were working over time getting blasted with circulating hints of this and that,it was so unreal great expierance.

You like to try great sweet ice wine get a bottle of Hungarian Tokaji Aszu.Pricey but great.

Red wine makes my shit green, true story

Quick follow up, bought the booze before any replies came in.

Ended up going with the Jew wine because the opinions on E&J tend to favor towards fucking horrible rather than surprisingly drinkable. I also haven't seen her drink anything higher than 12% in years other than occasional rum, which she doesn't like so much anymore. She does like sweet wine so I figured I'd might as well try it. I'd give her white wine but I honestly have no clue what's good or not (new to drinking and I prefer whisky.) If she doesn't like it I'll help her finish it then maybe find her something nice for Christmas. I already got her a spa treatment for her birthday as well.

I appreciate the responses. Maybe cognac would be nice but we're not heavy drinkers.

>you could have gotten her a fucking sweet riesling or moscato

>St. Remy XO is better than E&J XO desu and it's still pretty fucking bad
Read what I said here about french brandies >This brandy does have sweeteners (brown sugar, maple syrup) and some other flavours added, it's not typical brandies like the French or others do just straight grape brandy nothing added.

BTW, looks like you are just posing here, you know shit if you are suggesting Remy XO here that is in $200 plus price range that is in totally different category.

BTW, Jack Daniels was good 20 years ago, now is good to clean off car grease from your hands, your taste is really snobby for that price you pay for JD there are few much better much smarter choices.

You know shit about alcohols and just wasting peoples time looking for attention like a little pussy girl sucking tit.

E&J XO for the money sounds like is great deal bit sweet sipping brandy.
Not like traditional lower priced brandies that are harsh on the palate because they have no added ingredients.

Anyhow you are dumb

I'm such a horrible son.

Adding it to the list

>I already got her a spa treatment for her birthday as well.
Sound like you are great son treating your Mom so nice. Good on you user.

If you really like to treat your Mom with super great white (sweet wine) get her bottle of TOKAY ASHU, it is called "King of the wines wine for the Kings"
Even if you get the basic lowest priced bottle "Tokay Aszu 3 Puttonyos" she will be treated to unforgettable bottle of white sweet wine.
But the sweetens in it is not of the sugar type, is supernatural sweetness that is not harsh or bittersweet, hard to explain.

The Story of Tokaji Wine.
winefolly.com/review/the-story-of-tokaji-wine/

Tokaji Aszu Wines Are a Taste of Hungarian Sweetness.
nytimes.com/2015/12/02/dining/tokaji-aszu-wine.html

>I have only drank 1 brandy the post
St. Remy XO is a $25 brandy and is better than your E&J bullshit.

$20 brandy is the shittiest $20 hard liquor. If you only have $20 to spend, buy some rum or whiskey as they taste much better than your shitty $20 brandy.

Unless you are willing to spend at least $50, your brandy is shit for its price.

definitely not a shill

I tried Tokaji before. It's okay, I wouldn't mind drinking another, but I absolutely would not justify paying more than 20 dollars a bottle for one.

>being a samefagging
>pic related St. Remy XO for $28 canuck which is $21 burger

>unironically advocating the harshest $20 liquor
>I haven't drank anything but E&J the post
Have you tried Kraken or Rondiaz? They are miles better than your piss taste E&J and only ~$20

he is talking E&J XO not regular E&J you pleb

there is huge difference between the two
regular E&J is crap XO is much better, stop acting retard

K I R K L A N D
I R K L A N D
R K L A N D
K L A N D
L A N D
A N D
N D
D

>quoting yourself
>being a samefag

are you stupid
so what
you do whatever it takes to get the point you dummy sensitive snowflake

Just drink as much shitty wine as you want until you learn to like it. There's no point wasting money on good wine if you don't like it, it's just going to taste like shit any way. When you do have good wine after having had shit wine, you'll actually be able to taste the difference.

If you live near a wine growing area go on a tour, they aren't actually that expensive and you'll get exposure to a wider variety of wines in a really short amount of time.

>Just drink as much shitty wine as you want until you learn to like it.
most people get hooked after just 3 bottles and there is no way back after that

does this guy know there are various definitions for the word taste?

i'd seriously recommend making some sort of list when you start trying out wines.
also when it comes to red wines, don't drink the cheap ones, generally they aren't good.
back when i started drinking wine i thought red wine was garbage simply because of that.

is there a blueberry wine I can find at the store that isn't shit and is as cheap as the other cheap wines?

every wine has it's unique taste that can satisfy various palates

if I try a wine and it tastes like shit then I don't drink it again. I've always been that way, even when I was like 16. I don't have a refined taste for wine, but I can happily differentiate wine into two groups: those which I can enjoy drinking lightly, in quantities, with friends, or paired with food; and those which never taste good to me.

Best way to drink wines is with food,especially if is properly paired, and remember if you drink red wine right after opening the bottle even good expensive wine can/will/might taste shitty.
Very rare red is OK to drink without letting it 'breathe' for 30-45 minutes.
Open the bottle and let it sit on the table or decant (gently pour into decanter that will introduce oxygen to wine and will open up it's flavours, textures, all that fancy stuff).

A Brief Guide to Decanting & Aerating Wine.
learn.winecoolerdirect.com/decanting-vs-aerating/

The Sommelier Update.
arrowheadwine.blogspot.ca/2014/11/aerate-or-decant.html

this is shit produced by people who enjoy the smell of their own farts

there are many wines for many occasions and the proper way to enjoy each wine is based on how you personally like to drink it. save the wine appreciation bullshit for when you're trying to get laid.

kek guys, cognac has way too much fashion and brand overhead so it's a lousy deal. But I'd suggest Pierre Ferrand

stupid poster

I mean, if you want to air your wines and get fancy shit and all that for the perfect wine drinking experience, fine, that's all you. But your way isn't right for everyone. There isn't one perfect right way to drink wine, you drink it how you like. If you find someone who isn't really "into" wine, I promise you airing it out and decanting it will not sell them anymore than the End of Evangelion will make someone who knows that anime is trash care about your weeaboo hobby.

Why you are so stupid, is on purpose or you just plain stupid all the time by nature.
There is a chemistry science effect in letting wines 'breathe' exposing it's molecules to oxygen, it has noting to do with what you like it or not.
Same as letting grape juice ferment exposes juice to bacterias, or pouring beer creating foam head also 'opens' the beer up.
It's just scientific fact you pleb.

I can't believe I got sucked to post with such imbecile as yourself.

That's it, you are not worthy of my time you ugly chimpanzee.

Think post whatever stupidity you like, go and talk with yourself, I'm out.
I don't mix with subhumans like you.

>fat hipster enjoys wines after they "breathe" in the farts of his poorly ventilated bedroom
>mad that no one else cares
it's not like the grapes or the finished product will never be exposed to oxygen at any point before you transfer the wine to your mouth. cry more fatty

There are literally 3 gallon jugs of grape swill you can find for like 15 buckaroos.

The styles of grapes are named after the grapes used.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauvignon_blanc

And just listen to your taste buds. Consider the pairing, aroma, and taste charts. Mix and match.
Fuck bitches; get money.

>The styles of grapes
*The styles of wine..

>bone apple tea...........

sorry mate but this french crap is nothing more than overpriced overhyped nail lacquer remover

Wine is a "natural" alcohol. It is 87% "impurities" (grape juice) and 13% "eau de vie" (alcohol). Before distillation, this was the purest alcohol you could get. Peasants drank wine, but diluted with water. The barons and clergy had access to proper wine, and developed a lot of ritual and snobbery about it.

Because wine is a natural alcohol, it will upset you the most. Red wine sickness is very common. When I drink red wine, I get awfully sick; flushed cheeks, dizziness, headache, and a terrible hangover the next morning.

It doesn't get you as drunk as hard liquor, and for a lot of people it makes them feel worse, so it's not a relaxing or partying drink.

>The barons and clergy had access to proper wine
idiot detected
>idiot please tell us about proper and not so proper wine
>do it properly don't fuck it up,peasant

huh?

same shit
>one is French
>this one American

> all of these morons arguing over brandy
The best cheap spirit is and will always be rum. Especially pic related.

Whisky tastes like grain, Brandy is harsh (unless you spend $60 on XO), Vodka is plain, Gin is too much like detergent. Rum tastes like molasses, ripe fruit and spices.

>rum is for mentally challenged poor slobs
>especially this rum from india
>they used it in india as a fuel to run farm equipment

>rum is for mentally challenged poor slobs
Maybe poor, but not necessarily mentally challenged or slobs, an no more so than other hard-liquor drinkers.
>especially this rum from india
Yes. They make it in Bangalore with Indian sugarcane. Amrut supplies liquor to the Indian military.
>they used it in india as a fuel to run farm equipment
a) That wouldn't work, because farm equipment runs on diesel and not alcohol. b) Amrut is very, very, very highly reviewed.

It's arguably the absolute best spirit for its price, at least in Canada. Part of that I think is because the company, Amrut, makes most of its money selling to the Indian military, and it competes in the west by selling very cheap, but very good rum. And it works, since it's very popular despite being an obscure brand.

>and it competes in the west by selling very cheap, but very good rum.
> and it sells in plastic bottles

>Amrut, makes most of its money selling to the Indian military,
>very good rum to get indian military combat ready
>ha ha ha

It's in glass, you dumb asshole.

Have you ever even tried it? It's not in fucking plastic you spastic.

Give it a try. It's $15 for a mickey (less in some provinces). It's literally the best spirit below $20.

If you don't know anything about it, don't talk shit you ignorant fuck.

Rum in general is the only spirit worth a shit below $30. So if you want to try good liquor, but you can't drop the cash on Single Malt or XO, or even VSOP, go with Rum.

>go with Rum.
and act like bunch of drunk east indians running around like a bunch of stray cats

>or even VSOP
VSOP
Very
Shitty
Offensive
Piss
>french urine fermented to pefection

You're sort of obsessed with the Indian part. I didn't even know it was Indian until I bought my third bottle. I just assumed it was from the Caribbean.

India isn't associated with liquor because in North-Indian culture it's looked down upon. There would be a lot more beer, wine and spirits coming out of India if it wasn't 20% Muslim, and even the Hindus in the Northern half of the country view alcohol as forbidden (among the majority-castes).

>You're sort of obsessed with the Indian part. I didn't even know it was Indian until I bought my third bottle. I just assumed it was from the Caribbean.
user drinking indian rain water fermented
>in india with rotting sugar cane thinking
>he is tripping on fermented Caribbean pussy squirt
>assuming is Caribbean young virgin's golden shower
>but strong smell of east indian curry spoils his intoxicating delirium
>user got his cast status reduced to street poop collector
>to motivate him to clean the streets of Calcutta every day he is getting bottle of east indian rum in plastic bottle
>and bowl of curry made with rotting sugar cane mash scraped from the filthy floor
>after rum fermentation was completed by east indian brew master Rahadnish Yogananda

>progress is so swift and user gets ricksha to carry his poop collection basket because his back is covered with leprosy
>user is now untouchable drinking east indian rum

What the fuck are you idiots arguing about?

Drink boxed wine. Same taste but way cheaper and easier to store.

We really need to drive reddit off of this website. They should learn how to create a hugbox in peace like we do.

Tokaji 6 puttonyos is literal nectar of the gods, though worth every penny.

>Same taste
Same taste as what?
with your logic this is true also
Chevy cars are the same as Lexus and BMW and Mercedes, etc..
Mc'shitDonald's burgers have same taste as burgers made by gourmet chefs.
>please user engage your brain next time you post

see this and some other ones.
lol

what's a decent wine bottle less than $100 I can buy from Bevmo to give as a present to casual drinkers (my parents)

According to this asshole just buy boxed, apparently is the same shit.

>what's a decent wine bottle less than $100
Not enough info given,
red? or white?
sweet or dry?
for that price range Porto could be interesting option, (but they have bit higher alcohol levels)

Anyone have any experience with WSJ Wine? I got a voucher for them and figured I could get a good stock to have around.

What would someone recommend as the best type of wine grown in Michigan?

>What would someone recommend as the best type of wine grown in Michigan?
Again, same as here not enough info given.
What's your budged ?

People start thinking before posting or you will be ignored

If you want to "get into" wines generally, you should start by buying bottles of each of the 8 primarily varieties of wine: Chardonnay, Reisling, Pinot Gris, Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir. For each of those varities, buy around 3 bottles produced in different countries/continents.

The differences between the grape types should become obvious, the differences between yearssources will be a little more subtle. By the time you get through 3 bottles of each, you should have a strong sense of what each wine variety is like.

Buy anything that is relatively cheap and specifies both variety (eg. Merlot) and vintage (eg. 2012). Truly cheap wines (such as most boxed wines) will be blended and therefore will not specifiy either a single vintage, or even a variety.

After you get through those 24 bottles, you'll have a good baseline of knowledge and you can just expand as you see fit.

Winery basically just comes down to (1) liking wine generally, even if only a subset of wines, and (2) wanting to explore different wine tastes.

Boxed wine is cheaper and easier to setup.
Who has room for 24 bottles.
Stop complicating things.