Is it bad to fry with olive oil, Veeky Forums?

Is it bad to fry with olive oil, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6280-storing-used-frying-oil
youtube.com/watch?v=7Vohz__7wtU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

low smoke point my nig

Yes idiot, your oil will burn and set off fire alarms

Lard and butter are the only types of grease that should be used in cooking

Olive oil for salass and shit

Yes

I do a weekly chicken and brown rice stirfry with olive oil, haven't had a problem yet. Unless you guys mean like, actual deep frying.

that's what they mean

No, it's fine. Extra virgin olive oil is great for salads and eating cold, and does okay in light sautéing if you keep the temperature low. For high heat and deep frying, don't use evoo. Use a cheaper, refined olive oil grade with a higher smoke point.

Aww, Snek wants hugs.

Whay anout sunflower oil?
Ive never used it, but i heard thats its the best for frying and bought a bottle, gonna make some fried chicken with it tonight

No, just be aware that it has a low smoke point and that it imparts a slightly grassy taste into what you fry.

>tfw youve been frying burgers eggs veggies and bacon in liberal amounts of olive oils for years over medium&high heat
what am i supposed to use?

Rapeseed oil

avocado for goat points

Lard ot butter

what about peanut oil?

Mashed banana

Too expensive to fry everything with it

>>Living in Spain.
>>Olive Oil of great quality is cheap AF
>>Fry everything in olive Oil.

>> Visit family in France.
>> They fry in butter.
>> Get disgusted

Why you people do this

Because it objectively taste better, and because olive oil is not for frying.

HOW ABOUT PENIS OIL LMAO

Cottonseed oil ftw...

I fucking haye hipsters

Its objectively the best grease to fry with, followed by lard or duck fat.
Tell someone food chef that you fry with olive oil and he will laugh at you

I use this all the time, especially when frying eggs

Why did Mario Batali, before he became a commercial corporate tool, argue for only frying, even deep frying, with EVOO? Do you think he was just fucking with you like a Veeky Forums shitposter?

Actually, depending on the type of olive oil, the smoke point can be higher than canola oil. Some higher than peanut oil even. Extra light olive oil smokes at ~470°f. Have to go with avocado oil or some really obscure shit to get a higher smoke point.

That said the flavor doesn't go well with fried foods imo.

My personal favorite

Lol, what? It isn't that expensive and you can filter and reuse it. It's not like avocado oil where it's like $15 for a tiny can of it, you can get a gallon for a few bucks anywhere.

What about coconut oil

Rice bran oil
>I'm not a robot

What about sunflower oil senpai?

Coconut oil.

Apparently it's horrible for you, and despite what they say about it being tasteless I can taste the difference - although I can't say that it's because of the flavour of coconut oil or the lack of conventional oils.

I pretty much exclusively cook with extra virgin, the one time I've cooked with canola the oil lit on fire and I nearly scarred myself for life. I know it's human error but it weighs on me.

canola is absolutely disgusting to fry with. Makes everything taste fishy. I use a blend of fry shortening and veg oil.

Redpill me on soybean, sunflower and grape seed oils, Veeky Forums

they are good neutral oils.

>grape seed
would be expensive for deep frying

They're all very high in omega 6 fatty acids, which promote inflammation, and having too high of a ratio of omega 6:3 (about 3:1 or so) increases your risk of heart attack and cancer. Most people on Western diets have a ratio of 15:1, incidentally:

>Soy oil = 8:1
>sunflower oil = 40:1
>grape seed oil = 676:1
>peanut oil = 32:1
>corn oil = 83:1
>sesame oil = 138:1

This is one reason why it can be preferable to fry with coconut oil. If it's a choice between sunflower oil and coconut oil, go with the coconut oil.

The important thing in any case is to stick with oils appropriate for the temperature you use, and keep in mind the likelihood of rancidity (check production date, go for dark colored glass, prefer it from stores that keep it refrigerated and keep it cool at home).

>Hemp-seed oil has a ratio of 3:1, which is decent, but is only safe up to 330 F

>Coconut oil doesn't have a PUFA problem, but is only safe up to 350 F, however. Sure, it's high in saturated fat, but the scientific link between saturated fat from coconut oil (which is of a different type than in lard, for example) and heart disease or other ailments is non-existent, whereas the pitfalls of very high intake of high omega 6 PUFAs is quite well established.

>Macadamia nut oil has a ratio of 1:1 and is safe up to 390 F

>Expeller-pressed canola oil has a ratio of 2:1, which is really quite good relative to other vegetable oils, and is safe up to 400 F. Expeller or cold-pressed canola oils also go through a much less intensive processing phase and are far better health-wise than refined canola oil.

>Camelina Sativa oil is nice sine it has a very good ratio of omega 6:3 (1:2), while also having a smoke point of 475 F, and a very long shelf life due to naturally high levels of antioxidants which function as a preservative. It has a pleasant nutty taste, however this is not ideal for all uses.

>Extra virgin olive oil
dressing salads, drizzling over pasta, baking
Don't use for: any frying

>Olive Oil
light frying and salad dressing, baking, dressings
Don't use for: high temperature frying

>Rapeseed oil
General purpose roasting, frying

>Coconut oil
Frying, baking
Don't use for: Dressing etc.

>Sunflower oil
>(mixed) Vegetable oil
Garbage, don't use this

>Expeller or cold-pressed canola oils also go through a much less intensive processing phase and are far better health-wise than refined canola oil
what, exactly, is changed during the processing? is the chemical structure of the fat actually altered during processing? i tend to get suspicious when the argument boils down to "it's processed so it's bad"

you can fry with olive oil just nothing too heavy, think caramelizing instead of stir frying

>is the chemical structure of the fat actually altered during processing?
no, they just process it for fun. moron

>burgers
vegetable/sunflower oil
>eggs
Butter
>Veggies
stick with olive oil
>bacon
lard

why does snak attack?

grape seed oil

>rape

Canola oil is shit

why would you need extra fat to fry bacon?

If it is, my whole country is wrong.

Well, to be fair, no one expects a wog to do something right so thats not a good argument

Not for deep frying and not extra virgin

Olive oil is GOAT for shallow frying
Adds depth to the flavour of sausage, eggs, bacon etc

Also good for frying mince for spag bol

olive oil is okay for cooking with if you don't sear anything, if im making tomato sauce for example im slowly cooking the onions and the garlic, it wont actually burn the oil like every memester says it will.

But if you're searing a piece of meat, then ya use something else. Basic veg oil is great and cheap, grapeseed oil is better and more expensive, those are the most common to find in grocery stores.

As far as smoke point goes - for most applications then you really don't wanna be frying too hot cause you'll burn the outside and leave the inside raw
Fry eggs and meat on a low temp

>Wogs do nothing right

Except conquer the known world via the Roman empire, which is why your amalgamation of a Germanic-Latin language exists. Put down your Soldier of Fortune magazine for a few minutes and read a couple of middle school history texts.

Are those a bunch of shedded skin casings hanging there in the op?

What do they plan to do with them?

just use peanut oil senpai

Aside from hydrogenation, could you mention a few processes (in production of cooking oil) where the intended goal is an alteration of chemical structure?

I've been frying eggs in olive oil. And I've been using olive oil in baking, too. Olive oil's great

reminds me of a wiggled song hot potato

This nigga forgot about coconut oil.

I've never fried with anything other than olive oil and it's always worked fine for me, I quite like the taste it imprints onto the food too

wogs dont even get their history right lol

still brown tho

cuz its trash

>not frying with your own liposuction leftovers
Check your carbon footprints

I wonder if anyone has actually done that

I buy supermarket brand vegetable oil for frying most things, its 100% rapeseed and is cheap. For frying steak etc.. i use coconut oil for the higher temp. Lard, fat etc.. for baking potatoes.

Non-cold-pressed/expeller-pressed canola oil is an RBD (Refined, Bleached, Deodorized) oil, like corn and soy oil, which goes through a process of solvent extraction, wherein hexane is used to reclaim extra oil from the crushed seeds - though hexane isn't so much a problem, since you're exposed to far more through gasoline fumes every day.

The problem is with the other steps in the RBD process, which involve significantly heating the oil for a period of time, producing a higher level of trans-fats and oxidized fats which are harmful to health. That said, the level of these fats are still far less than in, say, rendered lard or other animal fats, and refined canola oil is among the best in terms of the level of oxidized fat, trans fat, and oxidation during cooking.

But the point is that by using cold-pressed oils - which IMO taste better anyway - you can largely avoid these pitfalls. I say this with the caveat that for higher temperature frying, refined canola oil *may* be better in that it is more 'pure' and may oxidize more slowly, but if we're talking about making mayo or dressing, give me cold-pressed canola oil any day.

It's not conclusively bad. Yes there's this low smoke point business and carcinogens, but "experts" say olive oil is actually fine for light frying like that. Italians do it their whole lives.

high heat use grape seed oil not canola oil like these fucking idiots keep saying.

> Grape seed oil
> 676:1 ratio of omega 6:3 (as opposed to the ideal maximum ratio of 3:1)
> Not using canola oil, which has a ratio of 2:1

Enjoy ur cancer and heart disease

use ghee or lard for everything

The problem with canola oil is that it tastes bad. It might be "low acid" compared to normal rapeseed oil, but it still contains some eucric acid. And eucric acid tastes foul.

Reminder to put your cooking oil (both fresh and reusable) in the fridge or freezer when not in use to inhibit oxidation.
cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/6280-storing-used-frying-oil

Why bother? It oxidizes so slowly that there's no real benefit to doing that.

OTOH it's a pain in the ass to pour oil that's cold out of the fridge.

This tip creates more problems than it solves.

10W30

Anyone tried pimpkin seed oil?

Why is grape seed oil the best oil for salad?

Its not, EVOO is

Depends on what you are wanting. If you are making a salad vinaigrette then grapeseed is best, but if you are just wanting to dress a salad with oil then use a flavorful oil like EVOO.

Ignore all others: Peanut Oil

God Tier
I bought a gallon for $17, been using that for a few months now

I didnt even know that it exists

That's one aggresive snek

use smegma, nerd

Checked and kek'd.

I use olive oil for everything because its great and cheapvas fuck where i live

Frying good meat with it gives it an amazing taste, i never leave a single drop of sauce in the plate

goose fat

Grapeseed or rice bran oil

Why did he do that

>own dangerous fucking snake
>hurrr durr no real reason other than autism
>HURRRR DURRR ILL HAND FEED IT DEAD MICE

Fucking spergies man, give snake owners a bad name

Mice are HARMLESS So there's no reason to NOT feed them live

Probably an injury, it was dragging the claw at first.

is this Veeky Forums or /an/

Because Elvis goes nuts when there's food around.

Animals are fucking wack yo
youtube.com/watch?v=7Vohz__7wtU

today I learned crocodiles don't fight over food

I use a refined olive oil made for deep frying, smoke point 220°C / 428° F. Come at me.

That's because they're the gentle giants of the ocean.

I always wondered how healthy would rendered human fat be?
Its made of exactly what our body wants it to be, right? It seems like the absolutely IDEAL fat to cook with and eat.
What is the ratio of saturated, unsaturated, and polyunsaturated fats in human fat? What about the omega 3 to omega 6 ratio? What is its smoke point, and is it solid at room temperature? These facts must be known, yet they never appear in the myriad of charts and tables I see on this subject. Its like its being withheld on purpose, and that makes my more than a little angry.
So many dead bodies are needlessly burned or buried when they are full of nutrients. I can see people being turned off by eating the recognizable fleshy parts, but that could meet pet food needs. Once the fat is rendered, refined, and used in recipes, I have no issue with it being human origin. It would be a bottle of transparent liquid or a white solid, indistinguishable from bacon grease, clarified butter, beef tallow, lard, schmaltz, or shortening. Especially if its the absolute perfect blend that our body needs, it really doesn't get any better than that, and would be the preferred choice. There is absolutely zero risk of disease transmission, and no weirdness in that you might recognize grandma. You wont. Its a homogeneous product that has amazing potential with no downsides.