Crock Pot

Is a crock pot worth it or just a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html#comments-300054
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are you a fucking retard?

Crock pots are just a way of cooking

Electronic crock pots are a meme, you'll literally use it a handful of times then it'll just take up space. Keep it simple.

I was thinking of the model with a self-mixing function for long ass chili

Why not just get a dutch oven instead? I literally don't understand the purpose of slow cookers.

imho i feed dog in crock pot

Cheaper than leaving stove burner on all day and has a timer so you can automatically stop cooking at the appropriate juncture.

>Is my vocabulary that of a middle schooler or are there other adjectives besides "meme"?

>is x a meme

This kind of thread needs to be banned.

enjoy burning down your house

Im using memes to fit in

Slow cookers start fires too, and more damage per year is caused by slow cooker fires than by oven fires.

Enjoy your shitty slow cooker chili with no sear and no liquid reduction.

>more damage per year is caused by slow cooker fires than by oven fires
any kind of source for that claim?

Read it in an article a few weeks ago, tried to find it just now but couldn't. Feel free to not believe me if you want.

better to have a small chance of your crockpot staring a fire than the damn near certainty of your stove starting one

>damn near certainty
What's wrong with retards like you? I've left the stove on all day hundreds of times and never started a fire. Once I left the gas stove on full power with an empty cast iron pan over it, fell asleep, and surprise surprise: when I woke up, there was no fire.

you're one lucky son of a bitch

Or you're a little pussy worried that using a stove will somehow start a fire.

>t. future burn and smoke asphyxiation victim

Why are American men such pussies?

>Once I left the gas stove on full power with an empty cast iron pan over it, fell asleep, and surprise surprise: when I woke up, there was no fire.

Yeah, we all know the risk of igniting iron with a gas flame.

Retard.

That's what I'm saying, there's no risk of a fire if you leave your gas stove on.

There is risk of a fire when you leave anything combustible over or near the flame, like a pot of food.

You're still an unparalleled retard for leaving a live flame unattended for long periods.

When I make chicken stock, I put the pot in a 200F oven overnight. I've been doing it for about 6 years now.

I cook loads of beans, so automatic shut off is nice for them. But a slowcooker is just a bigger rice cooker. Outside of niche convenience there really isn't a reason to use them.

You took the b8 m8.

This is precisely why I will never live in an apartment. There's always a large percentage of imbeciles who think, "that'll never happen to me" and I have to come home to a burned out shell through no fault of my own.

people like mr."pussys lol, my stove will never start a fire" here are the reason why I have renter's insurance

Renters insurance doesn't cover important shit.

uh yeah it does otherwise what would be the point in getting it

if some retard burns down the apartment building I get to buy all new stuff to replace the stuff that was lost to the fire

unless you're talking about irreplaceable stuff like family heirlooms? I don't have any

>if some retard burns down the apartment building I get to buy all new stuff to replace the stuff that was lost to the fire
Read your policy. Mine didn't even cover TV's or Computers nor expensive jewelery unless I specifically asked them to be insured. If you have a barebones policy, which most of them are, you'll have to ask for certain items to be specifically insured.

I have a rice cooker. sort of like a crock pot? It said in the instructions you can cook other things with it...
I've only used it for rice so far but I could probably try cooking something else with it

any suggestions?

idiot that's the way insurance works; you have to tell them what you have in order for it to be insured in the first place. they aren't just going to ask you about it after the fact so you can say you had half a dozen iphones and a 80 in tv

There has never been a wronger piece of human waste garbage in the whole world.

good thing I already did that

baka

No, you fucking fool. You misread. If you are insuring your shit for full replacement value you are a fucking moron. You won't be able to buy "All new shit".

>thread about crock pots becomes an argument about burning your home down with the oven and how renter's insurance works

never change Veeky Forums

I don't think its a meme but I would rather use a pot. Most crock pot meals I've eaten are pretty bland and tough. Any good recipes using a crock pot?

Thanks. I'm kind of proud about the fact that I started it with .

You all have now scared me away from crock pots

i have a crock pot and i judge it not to be a meme

crock pots could easily be replaced with a pressure cooker. I'm assuming you already have an oven safe way to braise.

salsa chicken

>Bottle of Cholula Chipotle sauce
>Two pound roast
>4 jalapenos
>Onions, if you feel like it
>Garlic, if you feel like it
>Cumin, to taste
>Salt and pepper, to taste
>Water or beef stock to cover the roast
>Put everything in the slow cooker on low for 8-10 hours (I let it go overnight while I sleep).
>When the cooking is done, put the meat in a large bowl and agree with forks or those weird Shredder Jack claws.
>Put on tacos, make a burrito, do whatever you want with two pounds of juicy, spicy meat.

big rump roast
2 cups french onion soup
1 cup beef consomme
cook for awhile
boom easy french dip at home

>Why not just get a dutch oven instead?
crock pots are portable, so they are perfect for bringing hot food to a potluck or any other social event involving warm food. if you're into the sort of thing.

people who dont understand crock pots dont understand how much better it tastes

might as well microwave all your shit lmao

theyre wrong dude
crock pot makes food more tender and flavorfull by a lot

its an intimidating way because it takes so long but still

if u want the best taste thats how u do it

believe me

Dutch ovens are portable too...

Crock pots are pretty cool, and useful.

Cast iron, now there's a real meme.

I have both and use my slow cooker more

pressure cookers will explode and take out your wall and bring half your house down

It's common safety practice to not leave an open flame unattended.

Wow, that's hot enough to do the job? I'm surprised

what if you have an electric stove

Just make sure you get one of the new crackpots with WiFi compatibility and a smartphone app. What a time to be alive.

Have had a crockpot for years now. Its great for beans, soups, keeping things warm (less electricity than the oven), and transporting large amounts of food to potlucks. Which we do quite often.

Its mainly just useful for large amounts of food. If you don't cook in bulk I don't see why you would get one of these. It does nothing the oven/stove can't. Just makes it more convenient. Maintaining all the moisture in a small area is a slight benefit though.

Slow cooking chicken or beef in a sauce is really good.

>new crackpots with WiFi compatibility
So it can get hacked by russians?

ive never had anything made in a oven or stove that tastes as good as a crock pot

talking about meats mostly

>electric oven

Just leave it on 400F all the time. That way you're not wasting time turning it on and off.

I use mine every week. Make a pot of chicken thighs, a pork/beef roast, chili, etc. I start it Sunday night, eat it for lunch next day. Freeze/fridge portions for use later in the week. If it's just a big chunk of meat, I try to keep the seasonings mild so that I can add the final product to various things like tacos, rice, pasta etcetera, so it's not like eating the same thing erryday.

Oh yeah, it's the only way to do it if you're not paid to be in the kitchen. Anything over 180F works and even the Culinary Institute of America textbooks says to simmer at 180F. Remember a boiled stock is a spoiled stock.

true. but their heat source is not. if your event is in an office of something with electrical outlets but not a range, your dutch oven food will be cold.

just pack it with some coals

Its awesome for people who have a real job, so no you probably wont find it worth it.

It's just shove a bunch of chopped up shit in a pot with broth. Just use it to get rid of stuff about to go bad.

can you make sauerkraut in a crackpot, OP?

a pressure cooker is better than a crock pot.

My nigga.

I want to talk about it but "is x just a meme" is an extremely tired forced meme.

Anyway crockpots are useful but baby boomers and their neet spawn seem to think they remove the need to use proper cooking techniques, which they don't. If you just dump a bunch of raw ingredients in a crockpot, it's usually going to turn out like shit. You need to sweat vegetables and sear meats, then deglaze pans with your cooking liquid before putting it all in the crockpot if you want to have a good stew or chili or whatever

I read that you're a giant faggot in an article a few weeks ago, tried to find it just now but couldn't. Feel free to not believe me if you want.

If you are really interested in this topic take the time and read this article, full of photos and almost scientific tests.
Your eyes will be open to the BS and myths about slow cookers aka crock pot.

This excellent work was done by:
J. Kenji López-Alt
is the Managing Culinary Director of Serious Eats, and author of the James Beard Award-nominated column The Food Lab, where he unravels the science of home cooking.
A restaurant-trained chef and former Editor at Cook's Illustrated magazine, his first book, The Food Lab: Better Home Cooking Through Science is a New York Times Best-Seller,
the recipient of a James Beard Award, and was named Cookbook of the Year in 2015 by the International Association of Culinary Professionals.

"Why Anything Slow Cookers Can Do, Others Can Do Better".
seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html#comments-300054

After reading this if you have any respect for good quality good tasting food you will never use this BS gizmo.

I'm about to hit the sheets, but I've got a pork loin bubbling in my crock pot. The whole house smells like garlic and onion. Crock pots are gods gift to lazy, but awesome, meals....

>why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers
Other than being 5x the price?
I'll immediately own up to a pressure cooker having more uses and being outright functionally better than the slow cooker I've had for 10 years, but there's no need to me to throw it in the trash and run out and spent $100 on an Instant Pot right fucking now.
Even if you're brand new to cooking and in the market, you can get a used slow cooker for $10 from Goodwill.

>The whole house smells like garlic and onion.
That's one of the reasons I got rid of my crock pot because everything was smelling like food in my house, even the cloths in the closet were saturated with strong smells of spices or garlic.

Sometimes I could smell food next day sitting on my sofa, it was saturated with.
Hated that food smell everywhere.

You are a weak human bean

the point is you should cook with your oven instead

i have a pork roast I was wanting t make in mine today, but was wanting to do something different than just adding water and cooking it for 10 hours