How does Veeky Forums feel about Microwaves?

How does Veeky Forums feel about Microwaves?

pretty good lad

I wish they could self clean like ovens

I use mine several times a year.

Veeky Forums doesn't know how to cook, so naturally most people here pretend to hate them.

I prefer not to have cancer thankyou

[spoiler]you already do[/spoiler]

>affix tinfoil hat to head

They kind of suck to be honest. Food reheated on the stove or in an oven tastes so much better. If we didn't have microwaves we would be better off...

that said I'm still going to use one, and too often.

Great for heating leftovers, liquid to semiliquid food and melting shit.

Handy as fuck but some stuff you just shouldn't heat up in a microwave (fries, pizza)

The 1990's called, they want their healthscare for tards back

Don't worry, they called on a fixed line.

Eh, I would never reheat fries, shit just doesn't come out right, but slices of pizza from the fridge, left over from the night before? I think you can reheat those just fine.

Useful, I don't know why gordon ramsay shits on them so much.

I think he's trying to say that properly reheating them would ideally be done in an oven/toaster oven if nothing else

If I only have two slices of pizza left and I'm just having lunch, I'm not gonna wait for my oven to heat up, that shit gets nuked.

Microwaves are only appropriate with potatoes and reheating leftover crap. Otherwise, you are nuking away all of the nutritional value in your food.

But if you enjoy awful food with either a rubbery or soggy texture, microwave everything.

They're really good at heating up water fast and by extension taking most things all the way from frozen/refrigerated to pretty-hot without much room for fuck ups so they can save hours of time when cooking, but shouldn't really be used for finishing most dishes.

>Otherwise, you are nuking away all of the nutritional value in your food.

People actually believe that?

This, it can reheat, or be used to take effective shortcuts for some cooking.

They're shit; makes food taste terrible after being reheated. I just toss my stuff in a pan with some water and let steam do it's thing or use the oven.

They're too easy. Requiring myself to actually cook definitely improved the quality of my food

I've lived without one for a year now. I only miss microwave popcorn.

they are fine

trigger warning

>homeopathy

When we bought our house, the previous homeowners left their electric oven that had a microwave above it.

I took both of them out and installed a vent hood and gas oven.

That sums up how I feel about microwaves.

I use them to reheat food.

But I wouldn't let my daughter marry one.

you are nuking away all of the nutritional value in your food.

ok ill take the bait
youre retarded kys baka senpai

Lol.

Checkmate, atheists

Kind of tepid, but quickly warming up.

In highschool I worked at a mom and pop BBQ and blues joint. Steaks, Brisket, smoked ham, pulled pork, chicken, hot wings, prime rib, typical sides like baked beans, slaw, fries, mashed potatoes, typical.

Well they also offered Craw and Straws (deep fried crayfish with jalapeno and onion straws). With those and the fries you could order them with cheese and bacon they made on site. So the cheese wasn't cheap stuff covered in anti-caking agents, preshredded in a bag. Fancy stuff delivered and we would shred it for the orders that needed it.

Well... instead of frying everything, tossing it under a heating lamp or under the broiler with the cheese on top... we would stick it in the microwave and then the fries would get all soggy.

After a couple of complaints about them being soggy, I would use a paper tray to melt the cheese a little bit and then slide them off onto the dish with the fries and let the heating lamp do the rest of the work. I got in so much shit for wasting paper trays.

But that wasn't the biggest problem with using the microwave... god forbid you left it in a state where the timer was still on (not cooking anything), timer set for 45 seconds, then you took them out at 30 seconds and left it that way with 15 seconds on the timer. Apparently that "breaks" the microwave and it doesn't cook as good the next time you use it.

SMFH that old lady was batshit.

I use my microwave more than I use light bulbs or toilets.

i have very strong feelings for them

These people need to get a Geiger counter and measure their "DEATHWAVE" oven, their granite counter top and a Banana.

Safest way of heating food. However, most things taste better cooked other ways.
/Thread

Stove top popcorn is pretty much the same.

t.nomicrowavefor9yearfag

> gas oven

Better broiling and almost irrelevant increase in warm up time. No forced convection and the combustion products (among which water) fucking shit up.

Overall gas ovens are a bit retarded nowadays.

Do they really kill nutrients and make food less tasty? I feel like i notice the difference using a microwave vs. a conventional oven but it could just be the placebo.

I love my microwave. It makes the best steaks.

Agreed. The best stakes are dry and hard as fuck. That's the only stake I want to keep my tent in place when a storm comes through.

>kill nutrients
Why and how would they do that? I'm like 95% certain they don't, they just basically heat up the water in food and that's about it. Same goes for the cancer belief from like 10 years ago etc

It's a horribly simple device really

>less tasty
That's a different story and it depends a lot on your taste. On average, microwaving food will make it feel...soggy? I dunno, that's my impression

But for ex if I have some sauce/stew that I put of some rice, both from the fridge, and microwave that nice and hot, it's perfectly OK

Over the last 15 or so years, I've accidentally super-heated water in microwaves three times. Evidently the filtered water I was using was very pure and lacked impurities that would provide nucleation sites to initiate boiling.

Twice, when the water eventually flash-boiled, the interior of the oven just got coated with extremely hot water (but the interior was sparkling clean once I mopped it all up--nice benefit there).

The third time was at the office and the pressure of the flash-boiling water blew the microwave door open. The microwave never worked again and I had to replace it. True story.

I now add a few grains of salt to the water to provide nucleation points to encourage boiling at the appropriate temp.

I haven't seen those anywhere here in Denmark.

Cast iron pizza reheat is godly.

What terrible point are you trying to make?

I've got one of those in my pantry. They're OK.

I've upgraded to using a pot, coconut oil, and flavacol.

>I now add a few grains of salt to the water to provide nucleation points to encourage boiling at the appropriate temp.

You're in for a surprise: the salt will dissolve and therefore provide no nucleation sites whatsoever, except this time you don't expect the superheating to take place. Drop a wooden stirrer in there.

I have a microwave from the 80's.....Does that make them more deadly?

Depends, I guess. I use the pink Himalayan salt, so the impurities in that may make the difference. Haven't had the problem since I started using it.

I only miss them because of popcorn, I have lived without one for around ten years now