What am I doing wrong?

I'm just starting to learn to make baked goods, but for some reason, but for some reason everyone I make come out with really weird form/texture. For instance, Pic related is one of the cookies I just made. Now granted it tastes good, but it's more like a muffin than a cookie. Same thing also happens to biscuits.
As far I can tell, i'm sifting the ingredients properly. Baking soda is dollar store brand, so I don't know if that matters, and I'm using reduced fat milk.

Any ideas what I might be missing?

Other urls found in this thread:

allrecipes.com/recipe/25037/best-big-fat-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookie/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Another shot of cookies.

Too much flour. Make sure you use proper measuring equipment, and for best results, weigh ingredients and sift your flour.

Also, use better lighting in future pics you take, because it's difficult to make out the details.

Use exact weighed measurements.

Bake everything at 300 - 350.

using cheap soda that probably lost it's active power and fucking retarded idea of using reduced fat milk,

try this, use same fucking cheap soda but use full fat regular fat milk faggot and see if it makes difference,
if not use your faggot reduced fat milk but buy the most expensive soda and see if it makes difference.

if not, quit fucking baking and find different hobby, like sweater knitting or bird watching

Sorry, it's the camera on my tablet. I'm using measuring cups and spoons. The recipe said 2 cups flour, so that was what I used.

try this and report please

Here's a better quality picture. It looks more like a tea cake than a cookie.

Less flour, more butter.

and use regular fat butter not that fat reduced butter crap

all of them look like they come out from dogs mouth
better eat it raw dough, (don't bake it)
put it in the ice cream cone and use tea spoon

So what's the secret to making pretty bakery-style CCCs like these with the cracked tops?

I'd like to know this as well.

by adding shit ton of nasty chemicals

My mom uses these instead of butter and makes great cookies. Be sure to add the water like it says to.

Really? They look so much nicer than the ones you make at home, even if you have great ratios and exact measurements.

Read the INGREDIENTS on the back of the packaging you can almost build atomic bomb

And bakeries put that shit into their cookies? Or are you just talking about the store bought ones?

did it ever occur to any of you fucktards that some recipes are just going make crispier cookies and some will make softer puffier cookies? like said, a higher ratio of flour to fat is going to make them softer.

of course, since OP didn't post the fucking recipe he used, we have no way of knowing if he fucked it up, or if it's just that recipe that acts like that, or both.

if the baking soda/baking powder is old, why is stuff rising more? it should be rising less. when I see a cookie described as "muffin-like" that sounds like it's rising too much.

as for the milk: there's an outside chance you're right about whole vs. reduced fat, but chocolate chip cookie dough generally has very little added liquid apart from the eggs. it's not cake batter. it's very stiff. I have trouble believing there's enough difference in fat content between whole milk and reduced fat (I'm guessing 2%) to make a significant difference in cookie texture when so little milk is going into the recipe.

again, OP didn't post his recipe so who the hell knows.

this is correct.

OP if you want the cookies to be a different texture, adjust your recipe or use a different one. if you just want us to troubleshoot the recipe you used, then please post it.

>of course, since OP didn't post the fucking recipe he used, we have no way of knowing if he fucked it up, or if it's just that recipe that acts like that, or both
Great point about OP not posting recipe.

>if the baking soda/baking powder is old, why is stuff rising more? it should be rising less. when I see a cookie described as "muffin-like" that sounds like it's rising too much.
You are correct, yes looks like soda was doing it's job.

>as for the milk: there's an outside chance you're right about whole vs. reduced fat,
>but chocolate chip cookie
maybe the fat in chocolate makes the difference and 2% fat milk is not "strong" enough to react?

>again, OP didn't post his recipe so who the hell knows.
Most proper observation, posting recipe is the key to start the trouble shooting

Also wonder if the water was added, and if it was, does the hardness of the water could make the difference, like if it was very hard water.
Maybe I'm taking this too far, but just thinking loud

allrecipes.com/recipe/25037/best-big-fat-chewy-chocolate-chip-cookie/

2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted 1 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 cup white sugar 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 egg 1 egg yolk 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

>Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
>Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon. Drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
>Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

i always assumed they made those in a mold of some sort. they are always perfectly circular and have pretty flat sides. the mold would also make the edges harder and crunchier i think