Sous-vide

Anyone on Veeky Forums have experience with sous-vide cooking? Is it worth it buy an appliance or just a waste of money?

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html
youtube.com/watch?v=dAJq1FoXMFY
seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html
seriouseats.com/2016/08/how-to-seal-food-airtight-without-vacuum-sealer-water-displacement-method.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I sous vide everything user.

I dont even boil water anymore. I sous vide it. Its superior to any other cooking method.

It produces some very good to great results with very little effort in some areas and produces mediocre results with very little effort in other areas.

>Is it worth the money?
For me it was, but I make damn good money and I am very happy with my $300 universal remote control.

I would not recommend one if you had to save or cut back in other areas to afford one.

no fucking idea what this is but I looked it up and got images of shitty steaks. so I doubt it's very good.

It's excellent if you cook a lot of meats and like them done just right. If I could afford it id a sous vide tool is definitely something id splurge on for my kitchen. I've made steak and duck using a more ghetto sous vide setup and it was incredible.

yeah, it's for fucking plebs who can't control their fucking environment.

My 2nd question to wannabe line cooks is "what do you think about sous vide"

Automatic filter.

Lazy pieces of shit.

Just as bad as "centrifugally" vibrated french fries.

tl;dr kill yourself

oh and if you want to ask, I make 90K/year from my restaurant as profit.

>Get paid because of others work
>Demand sweat over efficiency

That's why you make only 90k. I'll admit that you probably produce a better product but bragging about making OK money is uber pleb tier.

It is OK money, yes.

It's a chef job. I also do free lancing software shit. All in all with my software and "other" activities I make about 195K per year.

>OK money

Even if I were only to do chef shit, 90K is more thna OK. I make more, sure, but you seem to be delusional.

I'm assuming 90k dollars. And in any major US city, yes that's OK and nothing better.

Nigga what

have you been raised rich or something?

the poverty line for one person in the continental us is about $11,000. That means that one person alone can expect to live adequately on $20,000, depending on the location. Making 90k a year could land you a (small) place around NYC, which is one of the most expensive cities in the US, let alone the world.

Also
>Thinking 90k is OK is delusional
>But I have at least three other "jobs/activities" to earn because 90k is so exceptional

Delusional

90K is more than enough to live happily in San Francisco

I do more because I want more. You are a pleb. Probably a trust fund kid who can't have a League conversation. Fucking pleb.

The average one bedroom in NYC is 3k per month. The recommended affordable monthly rent or mortgage at 90k per year is @2300 per month. Are you retarded or just trolling?

how is that an argument for them being delusional? In their post they said that 90k is more than alright before saying that they make more than that. Your argument is basically "why would the poster choose to make more money when they could make less money and be okay with it?"

if given the option, wouldn't you want to make more money? how is wanting to make more money a sign of delusion?

that wasn't me bdubs

YOU ARE SO CONTINUOUSLY STUPID IN YOUR POSTS
go back to Bellgab you piece of shit

The average one bedroom rent in SF is about 3600 per month or 1000 per month over the recommended housing payment at 90K

>Insert lame insult to feel better about my shitty argument

San Francisco is MORE expensive than New York

it's got applications in a restaurant, but I really don't see the point at home. Takes fucking hours to do things which could be done in a fraction of the time. Just learn to cook. It's easier, quicker, and more fun.

excellent for any sort of flesh, except fish
not worth the bother for vegetables, mostly
you will never fuck up a hollandaise again, so that is nice

Agreed on the fish. Makes great carrots though. DESU I never cooked just carrots on their own before getting a water dildo though.

you are so uninformed user it hurts to read posts by morons like you

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Steak.
seriouseats.com/2015/06/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-steak.html

The Best Way to Cook a Steak. Period.
youtube.com/watch?v=dAJq1FoXMFY

> things which could be done in a fraction
the average home cook could not produce two identically cooked steaks on two consecutive days to save his life. literally. not in a fraction of the time, not ever.
what sv gives you is consistency

Fuck, desu is still a thing? Thought that filter would have died by now. It's been a while.

I love my water dildo. Did you put some butter in or just let them stew?

holy fuck I get fewer air pockets with the immersion method what the fuck
t. poorfag who can't afford a vacuum table

Butter, vinegar and spices. Forget the exact recipe but it was the best fucking carrots I've ever had.

lemme guess... Caraway seeds.

What the fuck are you on?! It makes the best damn fish. Meltingly soft like a good confit but with a crispy skin.

what da fuck are you talking about you miserable fagg

Negative. One of the few spices I never have in stock. Too drunk to find the recipe right now.

Leaks out congealed fat that looks like whey. Unless you know a way to prevent that.

> Meltingly soft
yeah I find that particular texture absolutely disgusting. I go for fish with firmer flesh to begin with - tuna, big salmon, monkfish, stuff like that.
it's a personal preference though
those shiny spots are air pockets
well you should try it. caraway and carrot are closely related, one lifts the flavor of the other

>those shiny spots are air pockets
it's light reflections you drunk lunatic, haha

I'm OK thanks

If you are an untermensch. I pay 750 become I live with bros.

it's air bubbles that are causing those reflections

As some are saying it's good and as others are saying it's sometimes a meme.

Fantastic for making yogurt and roasts. Big pieces of meat and stuff. I'm making a beef roast for Xmas because Australia and ovens are hot. I'll finish it in there, but it'll save me having to have the oven on for hours.

>those shiny spots are air pockets
really man

San Francisco guy here
>Fuck up hollandaise

Are you fucking brain dead. I am drunk with 1.75 of Vodka. How the fuck do you mess you Vodka?

to the immediate right of the one you put the arrow on, just underwater, is another big one

Yes, it is worth the money.

I use my Anova all the time. It turned out not to be a gimmick, unlike just about everything else kitchen-related that I've purchased, cookware and a chef knife notwithstanding.

not vodka, mang. egg sauce thing, kinda like hot mayo, needs specific temp to emulsify without curdling.

>Anova
is this model that you have user,?

big deal,
they will not affect the quality of the meat user,
nothing to worry about friend

chef, you are retarded.

it's pleb shit though

That is precisely it.

based waterdildo is based
not for small pieces. for big ones you have to watch it. might develop cold-spots. yes I am autistic, why do you ask?
it's pretty tasty, I don't care about pleb or not.

so they are not cheap but if they do good job why not I guess

look for a coupon, they usually have like 30% off promotion running on some site or another.
I got mine for 100 plus shipping (which ultimately came out to 180 because lolRomania)

So you have at least three single male roomates, and unless one of them is connected to a rich fag giving you a break on rent you live in a micro apartment or a slum that will kick you out in a year and double or triple the rent. Sounds great. Almost better than OK.

Thanks anons.

Here is interesting review and tip

>Precisely it

I use ping-pong balls for a lid
works fine

Another review with tip

what did he do ?

I particularly dislike the idea of having one dedicated water container
it is wasteful, sometimes you need to just make two steaks, or a fillet mignon, there's no reason to heat up 30 liters of water for that

> anova precision cooker

I still don't understand your reason why you are triggered by it

or stop talking in riddles and speak English you mother fucker or shut the FUCK UP

make yourself clear, you acting like that homo pedo Jackstar from Bellgab

There sure are a shitload of people on Veeky Forums that make extravagant amounts of money. I wonder what the correlation is because they most certainly are never lying.

>Precision cooker
>Precisely it

>Precision
>Precisely

That's what he meant. It was stupid as hell but yeah.

I've got an Anova and don't use it that often, maybe once a month. When I do use it it's usually a large meal for entertaining guests which it's great for because I can shove it in a corner of the kitchen and not take up space on the stovetop or oven.

If you can get one for $100-$120 I recommend it.

Thanks for your response user.

>It was stupid as hell but yeah.
I guess that's why I couldn't get it, it was so lame

>My 2nd question to wannabe line cooks
And the first?

anyone who has to mention that they make a decent amount of money on an anonymous paper crane enthusiast forum does not make a decent amount of money.

Bought the Joule,
use it at least once a week.

Its definitely worth it, i enjoy using it. perfect steaks every time. great ribs (finish in smoker), great chops, great chicken, great sprouts

>buy an appliance
No.
>build a temperature controller for $20 and plug it into a crock pot
Hell yes.
It doesn't even require soldering. A retard like me was able to figure it out, someone younger and smarter like you has no excuse.

Tell me more, you marvelous cheap bastard

Are you retarded? Food lab only confirmed what I said. It takes longer to produce a relatively similar result.
>posting chefsteps
>ever
They're adding olive oil to the bag, exactly what food labs said not to do.

So thanks for showing me how to sous vide, I'm still not spending 100, 200, or even 300 dollars on an electric water heating dildo so I can wait an hour so i can cook a steak that could be done in less than 10 minutes

don't worry about it. no one in Veeky Forums knows how to cook apparently

nah

but nice analysis though

>They're adding olive oil to the bag, exactly what food labs said not to do.

News flash! Different cooking methods exist, and different people have different opinions on which is best.

Go read the fucking food labs shit. It diluted the flavor. There is no reason to add it. Add olives if you want the flavor of olive.

Again, different methods with different preferences exist. Many chefs advocate cooking sous vide immersed in oil. It's not better or worse, it's a different method. Food labs is not the final word here.

There's an excellent discussion of the pros and cons of both methods in Modernist Cuisine.

Sous Vide isn't good for commercial cookery because it takes an excessive amount of time to get the same outcome. If you have lots of time and money and are lazy it can be useful.

I suppose I can see a sort of lazy mans restaraunt where food is prepped early in the day and kept at temp via sous vide, then extracted and seared off to order. But this would require a lot of (exspensive and possibly fragile/finnicky) units, multiple containers of water, monitoring of water levels, makes it difficult to produce rarer cuts.

tl;dr, it's a non cost-effective gimmick, and gimmicks don't float restaurants.

Might be fine for home use though. Certainly not against people getting clever with it. But in a commercial kitchen, it's just not viable. Even if it was, you'd be wasting your chefs talents and skills having them babysit a pot of water... a lot of cooks wouldn't stand for it. You'd wind up upending the restaurant business if it caught on, replacing trained cooks and chefs with equipment operating monkeys. A boon to low end cas. dining places I guess.

you can pretty much leave the water in the container since it does not go "bad" and there are way smaller containers than 30liters.

>"i don't know my temps but with sous-vide I can never fuck up"

literally for people who cant cook

Try lowering the temperature and doubling the time, I operate mine at 98F and the meat comes out incredibly juicy.

Nupeople love when everything in their life works like a toddler game. You will amuse your friend with it but if you like cooking actuallly refined food you can ignore it entierely

You forgot the water pump for circulation.

>he doesn't let it simmer 5 days at a 120th of the temperature for ultimate juiciness experience

That's a freezer. You want to be cooking as close to the body temperature of the animal as possible. It's safe because sealing it removes the oxygen so bacteria can't breathe.

If you find it necessary, you can drop another $10 on the smallest aquarium pump you can find.

And in the end you have spent several hours of your time to nigger rig a contraption that would get you on the terrorist watch list.

Or you can just buy a sous vide stick and be done with it.

Get it used.
Paying $60 is a great find and I havent seen/heard of one malfunctioning before.

People who want to cry about Sous Vide have obviously never experienced a fuck huge salmon plank perfectly medium rare through out, or 3 inch thick burgers bursting with pink, or a bigass center cut filet, perfect from edge to edge.
You guys are missing another key point of sous vide. Depending on the item, the food is locked in this bag, soaking in its own flavors, juices and aromas. Nothing is cooked out, flavors are not diluted by water, spoiled by oxygen, or dried by air. We do a sunchoke puree this way, and the difference in flavor is very noticeable.
I get that sealing food in a bag and cooking it in water isn't very romantic, or sexy. Fact is, you can't mess up Sous Vide if you tried, and the peace of mind knowing your protein will be perfect, lets you spend more time on other parts of the meal. Plus you can't get egg yolks that good any other way.

Been experimenting with sous vide in general for the last year and a half. Started with an Anova but just got my hands on this last month and have enjoyed it thoroughly so far.

It's really weird to not have a physical interface outside of the Bluetooth pairing, but I'm getting used to the app being the only conduit and it's pretty clean so not too too off-putting. Really impressed with the "visual doneness" thing in the built-in recipe bank; seeing exactly what it's going to look like afterwards and being able to show people what they're getting is fantastic for dinner parties and shit. Kind of wish you could upload your own photos of doneness at specific cooking temps and times like some kind of crowd-sourcing or whatever; I want to see other stuff beyond what they build in and would love to share some of the stuff I've come up with.

Fuck off Gabriel

To answer why you would cook it in the oven, a lot of people broil steaks. It's pretty common.

is that Gabriel, really
I'm so mad now

>so I doubt it's very good.
what are you referring to

Gabriel you are so stupid it's not even funny
you are disgrace to the human race

You have shit tattoos Gabriel (lol jk I like them)

Yeah is Gabe

OK guys I was thinking
if main function of this devise is to control water temperature and the food meat in most cases is inside plastic bag why not to
use slow cooker for it.
Just fill with water put bag with meat in it cover with lid set the temperature and timer and you don't have to worry about water evaporation.
Slow cooker should do same job I think since the meat will be in the plastic bag.

I don't have slow cooker, but any of you that do would you please try it and report back here in this thread
or start new thread if this one will be gone.

>devise
device not devise
/fucking spell correct

Here is interesting article,

"Cook Your Meat in a Beer Cooler: The World's Best (and Cheapest) Sous Vide Hack".
seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

The Food Lab: How to Seal Foods Airtight Without a Vacuum Sealer.
seriouseats.com/2016/08/how-to-seal-food-airtight-without-vacuum-sealer-water-displacement-method.html

with great video

It's a meme