/coffee/

Anything coffee related, even moka pots and pour overs!

What did you pick up for the holidays, anything special? How are you going to prepare it?

Other urls found in this thread:

baristahustle.com/coffee-extraction-and-how-to-taste-it/
turkishcoffeegear.com/turkish-coffee-history/
newyorkcityfamily.com/2013/03/review-best-instant-coffee-there-is.html
youtube.com/watch?v=0mGvNHAvRhk
youtube.com/watch?v=ltktJR4xmsE
youtube.com/watch?v=QiIZUPIv39c
amazon.com/MESH-AeroPress-Stainless-Reusable-Guarantee/dp/B00JVTQHVC/ref=pd_sim_79_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00JVTQHVC&pd_rd_r=A68EMP5V8VFH51P4KKPT&pd_rd_w=9rsev&pd_rd_wg=U2Kus&psc=1&refRID=A68EMP5V8VFH51P4KKPT
aerobie.com/aeropress/faqs/
youtube.com/watch?v=VZxZj3T8AUA
youtube.com/watch?v=mBc_GGXBYBc
knowyourgrinder.com/kuissential-manual-ceramic-burr-grinder-review/
youtube.com/watch?v=PXslyrHLIKM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I just got an aero press, I thought I was gonna get memed but it's actually pretty good.

Not sure how I should grind the coffee though, do you go finer or coarser?

If I grind for espresso at 2 and for french at 7, press it at 4 for me.

If that makes sense.

Somebody explain to me how the FUCK you get that much crema

Did you get a metal filter? What do you like more that or paper?

Read this:

Start by searching aeropress grind settings and then adjust relative to your starting point based on whether the coffee tastes under extracted, correctly extracted, or over extracted.

use good FRESH beans. use a good quality grinder. use a non-pressurized filter basket. even a crappy 15-bar $200 dime a dozen espresso machine will give good pulls with the above 3 things.

I probably just don't have my grind dialed in right because even when I buy REALLY expensive beans I still only get a thin layer of crema. I want it just barely course enough that the pump can force the water through right?

>broke my pot
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

here is what one reviewer said;
2) Coffee. Get your coffee "Turkish ground" - any good coffee shop can do this when you buy your beans.
This finer, denser ground makes for a better coffee. *note: this is contrary to what a lot of people do - med/fine seems to be the rule, but you can play with grinds to "find" your taste.

I'm going to try this finer grind as I too bought AeroPress couple of days ago, for now I was grinding to the size the roasting house where I bought the A-Press grounded for me as a sample.

>to the size the roasting house where I bought the A-Press grounded for me as a sample.

The size they grounded for me was bit smaller than white sugar granules.

actually I'm going to do it right now
I just made cup (30 minutes ago) with that roasting house grind size so now I'm going to try with finer grind

>REALLY expensive beans

it doesn't matter if they're REALLY expensive if they aren't roasted locally (i.e. fresh). stale beans that sat on the shelf for months on end will still give you shit shots even if the bag had a premium price tag

time your shots. 25 seconds for 2 ounces. generally 16 grams, but give or take. adjust coarseness and tamp pressure as required (7-15 lbs generally especially if you are using a good oily bean, 30 lbs if you want to be retarded)

>tamp pressure
Very important.

Just went from a 25 sec to a 30 sec pull just from changing my tamping.

>Froth the milk, pull the shot - milk gets colder
>Pull the shot, froth the milk - shot is dead

Curse you single boiler, curse yoouuuuu

so sad, got myself a Baratza Encore off amazon as a self-present, but it's shipping to my school address instead of my house so now i gotta wait 2 weeks before i get that sweet sweet grind uniformity (currently using a hario mini mill and it's very inconsistent but loyal)

bought a bag of Santa Maria's costa rica, getting candied walnuts and pecan notes, some pistachio afternotes in there, very nice and pleasant. Counter Culture's Big Trouble turned out to taste very well on my Clever dripper when I diluted it to more of a 1:20 extraction ratio.

been noticing the aeropress tastes a lot smoother with coarser grinds

>currently using a hario mini mill and it's very inconsistent but loyal

What are you using it for? I've ordered one with the attention to use it for Aeropress and French Press.
Does that spring make any difference? It's the only reason I got the mini over the skerton, apparently the spring gives a bit more consistency.

Bunch of fucking First World coffee snobs

here assholes start with this before you buy expensive gadgets you spoiled brats

Can't afford a hammer, I just grind the coffee with my manly hands bean by bean.

>year 2016 going to be 2017
>not ingesting coffee beans with hot water into your stomach without all the useless grinding

History of Turkish Coffee.

Turkish coffee brewing is perhaps one of the most ancient methods of coffee preparation. Turkish coffee or “kahve” as it is called in Turkey is brewed by cooking very finely ground coffee with water and sugar depending on preferences in a special pot over heat.
Turkish coffee is then served in a special coffee cup called fincan in Turkish.
In Turkish Coffee Culture the coffee is also accompanied with some confectionery or a piece of Turkish delight which is called Lokum.

No, it doesn't because no one knows what kind of grinder you are using and even if they did the grind can very from grinder to grinder even on the same model and setting.

Go look up Aeropress championship recipes. You can really use most any grind but you need to adjust the temp and brew time to account for the grind size. Turkish grind, which is even finer than espresso, is probably too fine though.

coffee pussy

>you need to adjust the temp
I'm having problem with this water temp concept.
How come in espresso machines water is very hot but for AeroPress or french press they tell us that water has to be colder,
makes no sense

Because of shit like this that super sonic scientific approach to coffee making like in this article I'm getting really close to stop drinking that shit
and be free from all that nonsense.

Just too many fucking rules and techniques that confuse the fuck out of me.

Coffee Extraction and How to Taste It.

instant coffee sounds like a good and simple option, fucking coffee snobs,
confusing my life telling me that 27 seconds pull is better than 30 seconds pull and that they can tell the fucking 3 second difference

They are all generally around the same temp. Pressure, grind size, temp, and steep time as well as bean characteristics all play a role in making a properly extracted cup and you can play with them all interchangeably. Higher temps will decrease brew time and lower temps increase it. Larger grind also increases brew time and fine decreases it. Its a balancing act. In general stick to 195-205F and only adjust one variable at a time.

If you don't actually enjoy the process then yes, stick to instant/pods and coffee shops.

Thanks for that user, but I'm close to fucking nervous brake down over all this bullshit with such minute details
that are not even significant in atomic bomb making process.

I'm exploring instant coffee now as my choice of java.

Review: Best Instant Coffee! There is Such a Thing!
newyorkcityfamily.com/2013/03/review-best-instant-coffee-there-is.html

With instant coffee I will be free from all that massive bullshit and expensive equipment.
I just bought AeroPress and it's nothing fucking special as all the faggots making to be.

Buying grinders for $500 or $800 and espresso machines for $1000 or $2000 is fucking insane to make few ounces of fucking coffee couple times a day.

MAYBE TURKISH COFFEE IS THE NEXT BEST simplest option besides instant coffee.

>MAYBE TURKISH COFFEE IS THE NEXT BEST simplest option besides instant coffee.

There are innumerable theories about the origin of Turkish coffee.
One popular opinion that it might be originated in the Ethiopian city of Kaffa.
Other Theories suggest that it might have been discovered in Yemen where it was known as “ qahwaw ” – meaning fitness’ or strength’ in Arabic.
First records of Turkish coffee indicate that it can be traced back to some years before 1600, when coffee beans were introduced to Turkey.

History of Turkish Coffee – Version #1:

In 1593, Ozdemir Pasha, the Turkish Governor learned about a new beverage made of coffee beans in his region.
He was so impressed with the beverage that he decided to serve this beverage which he brought from Yemen to Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent.

History of Turkish Coffee – Version #2:

In 1554, two men named Shams from Damascus and Hakam from Aleppo brought coffee beans to Turkey and opened coffee shops in Yemen.

Its really not that hard and you really don't have to make it any harder than you want it to be putting espresso to the side. Home espresso is not something you get into because you like to drink it. Its a hobby and takes a lot of time and money but for many pulling that perfect shot is worth it.

Regular brewing is much easier and more accessible but like anything in the culinary world quality in = quality out and technique is important. Good fresh beans are very important. Its also important to get a uniform grind or its not going to extract evenly. Sadly, there isn't anything on the market sub $100 that will grind well that isn't a hand grinder but a Mini Mill or Skerton will cost you about $20 and work just fine. Every kitchen should have a scale but even if you don't already you can get one super cheap. Brewers are pretty cheap too.

Of course you can take this as far as you want. If you just want a decent cup then you can get by with less but, like many cooking enthusiasts, they get into it and want a quality cup as well. It shouldn't be hard to make coffee or take a long time. I can make coffee in about 5-10 minutes with any number of brewers.

Weight coffee (start with 1:15 coffee to water)

grind coffee

add to brewer

add hot water

steep if you are using an immersion method like French Press, AeroPress, or Clever)

then press.

it shouldn't take you long at all and with minimal effort you can get a decent cup out of an Aeropress. Of course if you just want coffee then any coffee pot and preground coffee will do. If you want good coffee but don't want to deal with a manual method then all you need is a scale, a grinder, and a good coffee maker like the Bonavita BV1900TS or a Technivorm Moccamaster.

That sounds like it might be the best option for you.

I use a Snowpeak coffee percolator at max water 6 "cups," I grind 40g of Mountain Gems Espresso and 10g of their Hummingbird blend in a Porlex tall grinder on 12 clicks (coarse). I bring my water up to perk on a medium heat 7 of 14 on my electric range. I set a timer for 5 minutes. Over the next 5 minutes I reduce the temperature gradually to 2, that way my perks per second stay more consistent. As more coffee is added to the water the boiling point goes down.

Tastes breddy gud, fuck those French presses.

Anyone uses regularly or tried cold brew? Thoughts?

been visiting japan for the holidays, the coffee here is amazing. the best I've had was some dude serving a pourover dark roast out of a trailer in hakone.

I use it in the summer as a base for different drinks. If I want a cold black coffee I'll just use the Japanese Iced Method for that. They are pretty different flavor wise though because cold water extracts differently than hot water. They both have their place IMO and I always keep some cold brew concentrate in the fridge during the hot months. I brew at a 1:5 and then dilute to a 1:10 or 1:15 right before using.

>you can get a decent cup out of an Aeropress.
Thanks user for your time posting those suggestions.
As I said in another post I just bought the AeroPress and that piece of rubber that does the pushing of water down it fucking smells when gets hot,
I think it transfers that stinky rubbery smell to the coffee.

I have this model stove top "espresso coffee maker" (attached picture) and it is doing good job in my opinion,
but I was reading so much about AeroPress so I bought it few days ago,
nothing special in my opinion,it was in the $50 range so no big deal with the expense, learning experience.

I had many times turkish (or greek) coffee in the past and I'm going to explore that method of coffee making,
those fuckers drink coffee that way for centuries, it must be something to it otherwise they wouldn't do it.

And yes I do buy local fresh roasted coffee beans, sometimes if I can not go to the roasting house I buy at the store sometimes is LAVAZZA GOLD PACKAGING 100% Arabica or other local brand of reputable quality.

I'm going to buy speciality pot to make turkish coffee and experiment with it ,and I'm going to watch videos on youtube how to do it.

yes those percolators make good coffee, they are in a way similar to french press except,
The Percolator Coffee Maker is bit different in sense that in stove top espresso makers boiling water moves upwards and hits the grinded coffee from the bottom,
in Percolator makers boiling water moves upwards and hits the grinded coffee from the top.
They do make very nice cup of coffee and let the coffee oil stay with the water not like in paper filter makers that filter out those oils.

Is a Percolator different then a Moka pot?

Do you not live in the US? APs are only about $25 here. I wouldn't spend $50 on it.

If you like a Moka style brew like in your Pic then I think you will probably like greek/turkish style coffee better.

It can takes some time to get used to but its pretty simple to make. Aside from the ingredients all you need is a cezve/ibrik. Just put your water in, then coffee, sugar, and spices(cardamom, nutmeg, and cinnamon are popular) then put it on the heat. You want it hot but not super hot. You want to bring the coffee just below a boil but not to a boil so the coffee foams, then pull it off the heat, let the foam subside and repeat 2 more times and pour. You still have to worry about grind, ratio, temp, etc though.

>Moka pot
yes percolator is different from moka pot,
the moka pot or "stove top espresso" I have in this picture here is moka pot except most popular moka pots are aluminium mine is stainless steel.

>Percolator
in percolators boiling water hits the coffee from the top and drips down

I did notice that about my perk coffee, there are coffee bean oils. One plus about perk coffee is that when you are done brewing, the coffee the grinds aren't in contact with the water, so it isn't a rush to drink it all. I find the coffee left in the perk stays hot for a long time.

The thing with perk coffee is the little glass bubble at the top, it shows how fast your water is burping up over the grinds basket. It takes a little bit to get the method down correctly. I imagine it's easier on a gas stove, but I have electric. Perk is a pretty old way of making coffee.

Going out to pick up some fresh beans.
I want to hope on the medium roast and try it. Is if fine for aero and french press or should I stick to just espresso with it tho?

Meant for

Ooohh okay that picture helped. Thanks.

>APs are only about $25 here. I wouldn't spend $50 on it.
I also bought some freshly roasted coffees (two kinds) so total was in $50 range.
The AeroPress is good unit but the rubber smell when gets hot from the water is turning me off.

Think of it like hot water ejaculating up the middle tube onto your grinds...time for bed. It comes in spurts, not a stream.

You can use any roast in any method.

I dropped 45€ on the Aeropress just to find out I could have ordered it from Alixpress for little over 22€.

My jimmies where a little rustled I must admit

Difference between stove top espresso maker or Moka pot and Percolator coffee maker.
Noticed where the grounded coffee is placed in both units and where the water enters from.

ouch,
unless the 22 was after market model, not the original AeroPress

>It can takes some time to get used to but its pretty simple to make. Aside from the ingredients all you need is a cezve/ibrik. Just put your water in, then coffee, sugar, and spices(cardamom, nutmeg, and cinnamon are popular) then put it on the heat. You want it hot but not super hot. You want to bring the coffee just below a boil but not to a boil so the coffee foams, then pull it off the heat, let the foam subside and repeat 2 more times and pour. You still have to worry about grind, ratio, temp, etc though.

Yes Thanks user,
so I will be getting into this coffee making kink.
I remember when I was served that type of coffee before the smell in the kitchen was so delicious.

How to Make Turkish or Greek Coffee!!! Easy way to prepare coffee.
youtube.com/watch?v=0mGvNHAvRhk

Frankly the only one that looked like mine (with the new plastic) was for around 50 also, the old ones with the blue markings where 22-25.

That's what I got.

And I also got this stainless steel filter besides the pack of paper filters.

Same here, all that (with the filter) cost me about 60€ or 63$

but that's with shipping charges I guess?

HOW YOU LIKE IT
and what device did you used before to make coffe

MERRY CHRISTMAS to You Anons
You Coffee Freaks :)

And this :)

Breaking News STARKBUCK RELEASES MERRY CHRISTMAS COFFEE CUP FROM PRESIDENT TRUMP.
youtube.com/watch?v=ltktJR4xmsE

Cuban Coffee - Café Cubano - Rural Cuban Farm.
youtube.com/watch?v=QiIZUPIv39c

No that's from the store not to mention I picked some acceleration Ethiopian blend. Costly day
I like it, espresso machine, Mola and French press before it.
I appreciate the cleanliness of the cup for sure even tho I was all about the body that a French press can produce. I'm regretting buying

Excellent*

IM NOT REGRETTING BYING IT HOLY SHIT I NEED A CUP

Pre-heat portafilter or not?

I just hate all the plastic in this thing.

>I like it,
>I'm regretting buying
>IM NOT REGRETTING BYING IT HOLY SHIT I NEED A CUP
haha, that clears things up, I was confused for a moment.

As to this;
>even tho I was all about the body that a French press can produce.
You can wait with the pressing longer than the recommended time of 40 seconds and that way you will get more body similar to the Fr-press.
Also with Fr-press you are getting those coffee oils that add difference to the coffee taste and with AeroPress if you are using paper filters those oils are filtered out of course.
You can use the 'stainless steel' filter to get closer to Fr-press effect.
I was told at the store that there are two types of 'ss' filters, one with so called regular/standard holes size (that come with the unit),
and there is one with smaller finer holes available to buy.
The regular/standard 'ss' filter lets some of the coffee ground through (similar like Fr-press will), I might buy the extra fine 'ss' to try it out.

The MESH: Premium Filter for AeroPress Coffee Makers by ALTURA + FREE eBOOK with Recipes, Tips, and More – Stainless Steel, Washable & Reusable. Lifetime 100% Guarantee.

amazon.com/MESH-AeroPress-Stainless-Reusable-Guarantee/dp/B00JVTQHVC/ref=pd_sim_79_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00JVTQHVC&pd_rd_r=A68EMP5V8VFH51P4KKPT&pd_rd_w=9rsev&pd_rd_wg=U2Kus&psc=1&refRID=A68EMP5V8VFH51P4KKPT

...read few reviews on that link before buying this filter, just to make sure it's for you.

>Mola
you mean Moka I guess?

>No, it doesn't because no one knows what kind of grinder you are using and even if they did the grind can very from grinder to grinder even on the same model and setting.

But he gave his preferred grind relative to his preferred grind for espresso and for French press. It make sense just fine.

The solid plastic is not bothering me at all, does not give off any 'plastic' smell, only the rubber part of the plunger when gets hot from the water has some 'rubbery' smell,
but maybe it will go away after several uses.

It might be just me, since I never read any complains about it from dozens and dozens of very positive reviews I've read about AeroPress.

Here is very interesting link;
AeroPress Materials Questions.
"FAQs for the
AeroPress® Coffee Maker".
aerobie.com/aeropress/faqs/

(see attached screen shot) from FAQ link interesting info they have there.

also watch this;
Aeropress coffee press plunger seal fix.
youtube.com/watch?v=VZxZj3T8AUA

For those who like to know the difference between AeroPress and FrenchPress coffee makers.

Can the Mini Mill grind for French Press? I just realized that I can't do coarse enough for a FP.

Are you brewing inverted? I had the same rubber smell problem until I switched to the normal method.

did you do your research on the net.
there is bunch on info about it, both in text and on youtube

This is very interesting coffee grinder design.

EvenGrind Coffee Grinder: Fresh, Even Grinds = Better Coffee (Kickstarter, January 2015)
youtube.com/watch?v=mBc_GGXBYBc

"Kuissential Manual Ceramic Burr Grinder Review".
knowyourgrinder.com/kuissential-manual-ceramic-burr-grinder-review/

Manual Ceramic Hand-crank Coffee Mill by Kuissential

>I have this model stove top "espresso coffee maker" (attached picture) and it is doing good job in my opinion,
>but I was reading so much about AeroPress so I bought it few days ago,
>nothing special in my opinion,it was in the $50 range so no big deal with the expense, learning experience.
>You can wait with the pressing longer than the recommended time of 40 seconds and that way you will get more body similar to the Fr-press.
>Also with Fr-press you are getting those coffee oils that add difference to the coffee taste and with AeroPress if you are using paper filters those oils are filtered out of course.
>You can use the 'stainless steel' filter to get closer to Fr-press effect.
>I was told at the store that there are two types of 'ss' filters, one with so called regular/standard holes size (that come with the unit),
>and there is one with smaller finer holes available to buy.
>The regular/standard 'ss' filter lets some of the coffee ground through (similar like Fr-press will), I might buy the extra fine 'ss' to try it out.
So I just made cup of coffee on my new AeroPress using paper filter instead the 'ss' metal filter.
I must say I like the coffee it made, there are still some coffee oils that come through and are floating on top in the cup,
(not as much of course as with 'ss' filter
or as in FrenchPress) but in my opinion more than in drip paper filter.
Tho I don't have enough experience with drip paper filters, maybe some paper filters let more oils than others.

Coffee come out nice and clean rich and does have nice taste.
Before I was not so sure about this AeroPress hype but I'm impressed.
I did used espresso size coffee grind instead of drip size grind, as per their suggestion here;

BTW, I did made couple of cups 2 days ago with coffee grinded by the coffee shop in larger size (for FrenchPress makers) and I was not impressed with the taste,
and espresso size grind did made the difference for me for the better.

hmmm,
I just read few reviews on this grinder as I was so exited after watching that video but there is problem with it looks like it.

It's no good, just a stabalized cheapass grinder

Apparently it's shit.

I think I'll end up using it only for my Aeropress. Well...shit.

Thanks user,
yes I just found and posted this ,
the concept presented in the video sounded so great but in reality is not.

Thinking of selling the Breville machine I got to upgrade. But I'm too lazy to do it

Good Lord the parade of unmitigated plebbery and buyer's remorse in this thread has been entertaining.

FYI you all suck at coffee and should probably go back to drinking instant :^)

Allow me to let you guys in on a little secret. These early American giant crank mills can produce a very even grind with no burning and all the way down to Turkish smooth. I bought the mk1 1909 model so I had to modify it slightly but later models can be dialed down as-is though they've usually not been adjusted in decades.

don't fucking come HERE and don't read if it irritates you that much you useless male homo cunt Gabriel/Jackstar.
nobody is interested in your stupid opinions

Autism speaks.

Here is interesting review by Seattle Coffee Gear.
(the only trick with watching their reviews is to ignore that other woman that is not in the video,
she has irritating voice and even more irritating laughter),
but they produce some interesting reviews.

This review is good because they use AeroPress to test the grounded coffees while reviewing different grinders.

"Entry Level Coffee Grinders | CR Comparison"
youtube.com/watch?v=PXslyrHLIKM

very lame comeback by boring clown

Thanks user.
what's the brand name,
and are they available to buy as new units

Should I grind my beans with my shitty grinder or let the guy grind it if it lasts me 2 weeks?

Smoking pot is much easier than drinking coffee,
way less complexity with techniques and equipment.

>or let the guy grind it
only if you are homo, if you are straight let the girl grind it for you

Yet to see a girl working there.
Or maybe just use my hand grinder because who cares it's pressurized portafilter anyway, at least my electronic cheap ass burr won't burn the beans

Consider suicide

are you trying to show how stupid you are or how boring your posts are, or I guess both.
great job doorknob

Ratio of coffee to water in a moka pot?
Ratio of coffee to water in a French pot?

No the regulation of the tool and die making industry killed iron products like that the newest ones are still considered antiques. Arcade is the brand and those kind are called "Crystal" because they came with a big glass jar on top to hold the beans