Does Veeky Forums like frozen vegetables?

ask a guy who works at a frozen vegetable/fruit processing/packaging plant anything.

we primarily do organic vegetables and fruit but sometimes do conventional crops.

ask anything, but I will not reveal company name or location.

>pretty decent job, I get all the frozen veg I want for free

why are they always cut so small, thats the main reason i wont buy them, i'm not a child, give me adult sized veggies

Any bodily fluids from you guys make its way into finished product?

if the pieces of cut vegetables are too big, it will clog the packaging machine.
also just eat more pieces lol who cares if it's not one big piece?

we follow proper food handling procedures so no.
however with organic vegetables there is a higher chance for thistles being in your bag of peas for instance, or nightshade berries in your soybeans. since you aren't allowed to use weed killing chemicals on organic fields. we inspect the vegetables after freezing and pick the bad stuff out the best we can, but it's possible a few thistles or nightshade get through. so always inspect your veg before you put the water in the pot to cook them. comes with the organic territory.

Why do the bags say not to cook it in the microwave? I've done that all my life, just punch some holes on the bag and nuke it for 6 minutes, always came out great, so I'm not sure what's the problem

just to add to that, all the product goes through metal detectors 3 times, once when being processed and frozen, once while being inspected, and a final time as it is being bagged. the metal detectors very very rarely go off. so don't worry about biting into a nail or something.

it comes out better on the stove

also microwaving plastic bags is bad

tripcoding up for clarity.

thanks for the questions guys, I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested

I like frozen veggies. Every week when I go to the grocery store I buy a 2kg bag of the same shit that OP has in his pic. I use them for everything, sometimes I eat them as a side dish with a steak, or I toss a few handfuls into a stew or curry. The only other vegetables I buy are potatoes and carrots (I slice the carrots up and snack on them at work)

so any problem with rats lately?

the pest control guy comes every Monday to check the traps set up all over the facility, and as far as I know he hasn't caught anything yet.

yeah frozen veg is bretty gud

it's so nice that now that I have this job, when I go grocery shopping, I cam just walk right past the vegetables because I have more than I can eat for free already. kinda getting sick of veg to be honest. but can't argue with free food. I mix em with rice, throw em in casseroles, soup, whatever.

for family christmas I'm going to bring a huge cooler full of veg and let the senpai pick out whatever they want because my freezer is running out of space haha

how do you cook this shit so it doesnt become a soggy mess on the stove?

>the senpai

lel

I meant the f a m

>pls notice my vegetables senpai

Why isn't there frozen mirepoix?

Why no frozen trinity?

follow the directions on the package.
don't overcook them.
once the water is boiling they are probably already done, depending on what vegetable of course. but for most veg it doesn't take long

there probably is but we don't do mirepoix here.

I agree that would be a good idea, I feel like some company somewhere has probably already thought of that.

why do the green beans taste like fish

Both of these exist at Kroger. I buy them all the time. Great way to get a gumbo or red beans started.

Maybe i am idiot but it seems like you only get veg medleys, green beans, peas, spinach, corn, and maybe weird shit like okra, but that's about all my grocery store normally carries in terms of veggie. Never stuff like asparagus or sprouts or beets or anything like that, why?

if the directions say preboil water and then add veg reduce heat and cook for X minutes then drain do that. directions are there for a reason.

>although I usually just throw the veg in a pot of water put the burner on max heat and check a pea or whatever in 5 minutes and see if it's done, works fine for me

are your vegetables sold at Costco?

what is your favorite type of frozen vegetable?

How are frozen peppers de-seeded?

Yeah, I'm trying to cut down on my rice consumption because beer gut, but a handful of frozen veg tossed into some rice is a great side with any meal.

well we do a lot of stuff

peas, shelled edamame (soybeans), unshelled edamame, carrots (diced, sliced) potatoes (cubes, fries, shredded), corn, green beans (cut, whole), broccoli, mixed veg (peas corn carrrots green beans), spinach (fuck spinach it makes a huge mess), beets, butternut squash, onions, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, cranberries, vegetable soup mix, berry mix, etc.

Can you touch your bellybutton with the tip of your erect penis while standing up straight?

try a different brand

Why are the only frozen vegetables worth buying is Peas?

Everything else is inferior to the fresher version

tell me about factory cleanliness procedures used.

no bullshitting. Ive worked in several food factories

i pretty much agree frozen tastes like rotten

frozen spinach is throw up tier especially

but fresh is god tier

I don't know because I don't shop at
Costco

peas

we bag peppers but we don't process them. we buy them from some other company precut and prefrozen and just package them. but most of our stuff we grow and process ourselves. so I don't know how they get the seeds out of peppers, but they do somehow. magic?

I bet the frozen pepper company is an awesome place to work.

does your company produce any generic store branded products, or is everything made there done under your company's own label?

well here's what I do when I get to work

>put on labcoat, hardhat, earplugs (machines are loud as fuck) hairnet, beardnet if I have any facial hair that day, plastic booties over my shoes, walk into room, wash hands, put on plastic gloves, walk through a shoe bath mat

also

>UVA lamps over the processing equipment to kill microorganisms

>different color coded shovels/brushes/etc for different things, raw product, frozen product, trash, etc. al has a different color

>equipment is tested for cleanliness and allergens after we clean it

very very clean and we get very good scores on our random food safety audits by the government

we do things for other companies but I can't name any names I hope you understand

of course. I was just more curious if the store brands got lower quality vegetables.

nope
we use the same veg for everything we package

the name on the bag is just marketing bullshit haha

frozen vegetables are actually fresher than the fresh vegetables on the shelf. they're frozen moments after being harvested at the peak of ripeness, where your 'fresh' vegetables have to be transported days and then sit in a box for days.

frozen peas are great, frozen corn nibbies are great, frozen spinach v. convenient, frozen water chestnuts nice for lazy white man stirffies, frozen potato products quite good

frozen carrots and frozen brocc are trash

>adult
>uses terms like veggies

i understand this but i still think fresh tastes better for 90% of things

the freezing part makes them all wet and soggy and they lose flavor

and taste disgusting

im sorry but its true even though frozen might be but on ice quicker

The only reason to ever buy fresh over frozen spinach is if you are eating it raw. Otherwise it still becomes the same wrinkly mess when you cook it.

nope even cooked spinach comes out with better texture and flavor when its fresh

something about freezing it im telling you makes it horrendous

this.

we do get some things from other companies but most of our stuff is grown locally, harvested, and then processed and frozen not even 2 hours after being harvested

it may sit in a freezer for awhile until we have time to bag it but it's as fresh as possible for frozen veg

ain't nobody got time to type out "vegetable" repeatedly

and it ruins the texture and quality
you forgot to tell them

froz veg taste like piss

except for like peas and a few others i would buy frozen like the other guy

go buy fresh veg then I don't care

I guess you're right, if you can't cook or taste shit there's no difference.

o ok ur pretty humble about it

w.e this thread kinda boring i dont really have any questions lol

actually i do have a question
how thoroughly do you wash the vegetables if at all?

because i always wondered if i should be washing my frozen vegetables

then go start a thread about how frozen veg are piss except for peas and fresh veg master race etc. I'm sure you will get (You)s.

what are you even doing here unless you have come to agree with my love of peas

washing is unnecessary for frozen veg. if makes you feel better to wash them, go for it. but we already washed it like 5 times at the factory.

the only advice I have is inspect your food before cooking. but don't be too paranoid, we aren't trying to poison you, because that would be wrong and more importantly the government would ahut us the fuck down. as with anything, our process is very good but not perfect. if you see a brown pea throw it out. no reason to throw the whole bag out though. I promise it will be ok

Are you aware, and can explain at all,what happens to the cellular structure of vegetables when they're frozen as compared to when they're fresh?

i was only worried about pesticides

There literally isn't, don't try to pull that juvenile "lol u cnt cuk" shit on me, you're the one spending $20 on fresh produce that you can get for $3 if you bought it frozen

its really not that much more expensive depending on where you shop

youre exaggerating tremendously

I wish I could answer that but I am but a humble blue collar working man and not a food scientist.

and I'm not trying to say frozen or fresh vegetables are better or worse than the other. I am not shilling for the frozen food industry. this is just a job for me, and I thought Veeky Forums might be interested. fresh would be ideal, like stuff from your own garden. but frozen are very convenient and stay good longer. there is trade offs between each.

Spinach cooks down considerably, so to get the amount that frozen bag yields, you would have to spend close to $20.

if it says USDA Organic on the package, there were no pesticides used. pesticides are very strictly not allowed in organic food production.

OP is correct. I actually work a full time job myself and don't know if I am actually going to have time to cook even on the weekends because things are constantly coming up. More produce has spoiled in my fridge than gone to use. The only fresh produce I buy are onions and potatoes because they stay good longer.

actually if you get 8 oz frozen spinach and you buy 8 oz fresh spinach it weighs the EXACT SAME THING and you get the same amount of spinach for like 1$ more for the fresh

you idiot

in fact you might get less with the frozen because the ice crystals

>because of ice crystals
You realize it's weighed before it's frozen, right? Idiot

pls stop arguing about spinach guys

in fact stop buying spinach altogether because it is a shit tier vegetable in my opinion and also frozen spinach is a pain in the ass to make it makes a huge mess and if you stop buying it I won't have to clean it up at work lol

>not liking spinach

OP is a faggot

>it is a shit tier vegetable
cuz you eat it frozen

fuck off Popeye I hate you you make my job hell

I'll fuck you right in the stink Olive Oyl

Whats the cheapest easiest meal you can make with frozen veggies and some kind of protein that can be frozen in batches for meals? Preferably something that isnt just veggies + protein cooked.

go eat your canned spinach and stop making me clean up wet dethawed frozen spinach dust that gets everywhere

>what's the cheapest meal with veggies and protein that isn't veggies and protein

Looks like we found the retard

Anyone that would eat frozen spinach can only be described as "amerifat." There are no other people on earth that would intentionally do that unless faced with starvation.

casserole my man
google the recipies and find one you like

cook a big casserole on the weekend and have leftovers to last you the whole week

then go eat your fresh spinach, foreign Popeye

>reading comprehension
It means a recipe that isnt just 'cook the veggies, cook the meat. Youre done!'

I would just like to reiterate that spinach eating Popeye motherfuckers can go to hell and I hate you

you just had to pick the most pain in the ass to make vegetable to like, didn't you?

if you had to freeze the spinach yourself you would see how it is not worth the effort.

you don't even know. the mess. the fucking mess. please if you must eat spinach get fresh or canned. have pity on a poor user.

pparently most frozen veg companies don't even deal with spinach because it's such a pain in the ass. well my boss saw an untapped Popeye market because of that and made us freeze spinach. damn you Popeye

spinach aside thank you guys for the questions and I hope you learned something interesting if you have any more questions I will be monitoring this thread all night so ask away.

>I will not be replying to any more Popeye posts however

So IQF? If so, fluidized bed? What fluid do you use to freeze?

Boy that spinach guy sure triggered you hard

yep IQF organic.

and as far as the freezing process goes, I don't do the maintenance on the machines but all I know is the veg is flash frozen and there is a big ammonia tank hooked up to the freezer that if it explodes we will all be kill.

RE: Frozen vegetable texture:

Water expands upon freezing
The plant cells of vegetables are full of water
As the vegetables are frozen, the water inside the plant cells expands as a result
Not only this, but as you can see by looking at ice crystals under a microscope, the ice crystals form sharp piercing spear like structures that puncture the plant's cell walls upon formation
Thus, when the vegetable is thawed from a frozen state, the plant cells leak their water out into the plant's intercellular matrix through the punctured cell walls

This accounts for the mushiness and texture differences between frozen and fresh veggies
Still, however, frozen veggies are picked at peak ripeness and are therefore more dense in phytonutrients and are the better choice overall

you'd understand if you had to clean up frozen spinach

this guu sounds legit.

as I said, I'm no food scientist or expert on this stuff but I thought Veeky Forums might be interested in the knowledge I do have on frozen veg that most people don't

just added frozen peas to some bland rice pilaf and boy am i glad i did that

unlock the hidden treasure that is FROZEN

peas are the patrician vegetable my friend

I thought boiling vegetables released all of the phytonutrients into the water which is often dumped out or wasted

true story bro
also, nice trips

Phytochemical density is important when choosing veggies
Organic>frozen organic>frozen conventional>conventional>canned organic>canned conventional

True, when boiling vegetables to death you are essentially throwing the baby out with the bath water.

That's why blanching and shock cooling (possibly followed by roasting) is a thing

What if you boil the veggies and use a stick blender to make it all into a soup? You'd get all the nutrients then right?

I would add that frozen veg gives you the opportunity to taste vegetables and fruit that may not grow well in your area/are out of season in your area

fresh is fresh and obviously ideal but if you can't get fresh, frozen is not a terrible alternative.

hey man you can kinkshame me to hell & back, i dont care.
the peas are good in the pilaf.

Yes, not including enzymes lost due to heating of course. You should always consume a plethora of raw veggies as well as cooked veggies. Even some antioxidant compounds are lost in the cooking process

Certainly though, vegetable soups are a great way to go in terms of not throwing out valuable phytonutrients such as minerals and other heat resistant compounds
Compound blenders and chicken stock are your friends in this regard

I think as long as you don't overcook, frozen veg gives you damn near the same nutrients as fresh. any difference is tiny and insignificant.

I mean, vege is vege. fresh, frozen, or canned. better than eating a bag of chips for dinner or something.

I am not sure what kinkshame means sir

did I miss out on a meme?

I don't know what I was thinking when I typed "compound blender"
I meant immersion blender

where do the managefags sit their soft fat asses in the factory and how often do you interact

also white/black/spanic breakout of line workers

benefits?

I rarely see the company president. he's usually in his office. he's not a bad guy though. but my direct supervisor is a total bro. one of the nicest guys I've ever met. we both play music and we have jam sessions after work sometimes.

currently all white, I think they used to hire Mexicans, possibly illegal, for summer processing back before I started working here. but I know the big boss likes Trump so I doubt that will be happening anymore.

and we have paid time off and pretty good health insurance. not a bad place to work.

>eating any vegetables is a bad thing

Only something I would read on an anonymous ethiopian crocheting forum

Oregon neonazi detected. if not Oregon you are in Idaho

wrong

also stop trying to guess where I am. told you in the original post. you will never find me. I will never tell you. I know your tactics Veeky Forums. and believe it or not I am not a nazi, neo or otherwise. that's the last I will say on this subject.