Black olive hate thread

ok Veeky Forums, I've been trying to work through all the foods I avoided growing up, because I'm an adult now and thought, what could be so bad about these presumably "gross" foods?

a couple months ago it was oysters, and hey they weren't so bad, just a little slimy.

then a couple weeks ago I tried some green olives, and hey those were pretty good, I even bought a jar of them stuffed with jalapenos a week later.

so today I am looking to try black olives. first thing I notice is they come in a can, and apparently that's because if block olives are put in a jar, people get botulism and die, which is why they only come in cans.

and what the fuck ck, these things are so overpowering and foul. even one bite takes over the entire flavor of the dish they are in. even when you take them out their filth lingers in each bite.

am I the outlier here? is there any legitimate way to cook or consume these in a palatable way?

Put them on a pizza with anchovies and fresh tomato slices.

Tuna Salad, Pizza, Pasta, Salads.

Not liking Olives..you dun fucked up.

get a jar of lightly salted kalamata olives
Those little black bastards are practically inedible.

>first thing I notice is they come in a can, and apparently that's because if block olives are put in a jar, people get botulism and die, which is why they only come in cans.

Is this true? My dad has been buying black olives in a little plastic carton for 20 years from a Mediterranean market and he seems fine

>am I the outlier here? is there any legitimate way to cook or consume these in a palatable way?

Use them in Mediterranean dishes. For a snack, I like to eat pita + labneh with some crushed black olives. I think It's really really flavorful.

but I do like olives just not black ones.

do people really enjoy them as raw in salads? wouldn't cooking them be the only way to mellow out their overpowering flavor?

yes the botulism is true but buying them fresh at an olive bar would completely negate that risk, they're fresh

>yes the botulism is true but buying them fresh at an olive bar would completely negate that risk, they're fresh
I'm not sure how fresh they are, I live in the suburbs in America....

fresh as in refrigeration and they haven't spent a week in a glass jar in the back of a hot truck driving driving across the country.

Make marinated mixed olives. Drain and add olive oil, pepper flakes, rosemary, salt and garlic. Leave overnight. If not strong enough leave for a week.

If you're a bong try them at nandos.

wtf am i reading there are black olives in glass jars in literally every grocery store where i live, scandinavia

Been eating a jar of kalamata's a month for years in an Australian [hotasfuck] climate for years.
No food poisoning.
What do you think that the people who jar olives are knowingly selling people horrific food poisoning?

and they are not refrigerated

I hate black lives.

Black olives are disgusting. You're 100% correct, ignore everyone else in this thread.

Yea I have no idea what the fuck he's talking about. Must be a burgerland thing. Jars of all types of olives are everywhere in Australia. We use them in everything. Kalamata olives are the best. We have alot of Greeks, Italians, lebs here tho.

BLACK OLIVES ARE A LOT BETTER THAN GREEN OLIVES

GREEN OLIVES ARE TRULY DISGUSTING

*no*
Unless you mean brown olives?

me too man.

Black olives are fucking delicious. I eat them raw out of the can sometimes for a snack. they are even better on pizzas and pastas

>black olives
>coming from a jar or a can

I can't stand them alone but put them on a pizza or in something like putanesca and they are delightful

i cannot get fresh non-picled olives

where do i buy them

I add them to my my potato salad and there's always extras, so when I do something like BBQ I put the extras out in a bowl as is and they're always one of the first things to disappear.

Dogs hate black olives. Are you a dog OP.

do you have no grocery store olive bars

also, get kalamatas

First step, get Kalamata olives. The rubbery ones are basically inedible, even for people who fucking love olives. They taste like rubber.

> that's because if block olives are put in a jar, people get botulism and die, which is why they only come in cans.

Bullshit. You really need to fuck up well to create botulism. Something as simple as regulating the acidity with.. Literally anything acidic solves the problem. And you really don't even need to do that.

>wouldn't cooking them be the only way to mellow out their overpowering flavor?

Doesn't work, but you can try combining with other strong flavours to strike a balance.

I live in Florida and only ever get them in jars. I eat the fucks like candy and have never had any problems

I started working nights again and woke up around 5pm, I hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch so I was pretty damn hungry. Found out my wife was making tamales someone at work gave her for xmas, so I had to wait. They weren't ready until 8. I just ate some and they were full of black olives. Went right down the drain. Fuck olives, ruined my christmas.

Picky eaters are the worst.