Tasting Menu General

You're tasked with creating a 5 course tasting menu (with an amuse bouche), and there's no price point.. I was going for a holiday theme for mine, but theme isn't necessary. I'd just love some criticism and I'd love to read what other anons would do.

Go.

Amuse (dirty martini oyster)
>smoked oyster
>gin/citrus sorbet
>green olive/shallot/celery brunoise
>feta cheese soy lecithin bubbles

First (carrot salad)
>baby orange carrot (confited in olive oil/aromatics)
>baby cinnamon/purple carrot (shaved/candied/dehydrated)
>baby yellow carrot (roasted with thyme/rosemary/garlic/hazelnut oil)
>arugula/parsley cream
>quail egg
>toasted hazelnut

Second (venison tartare)
>venison/pickled beet tartare (venison/pickled beet/shallot/mint leaf/olive oil/chive/parsley/salt&pepper/lemon juice)
>fermented potato foam (warm, from a whipped cream canister)
>burnt honey/fir tip mustard
>paddlefish caviar
>fennel chip

Third ("chicken" and falaffel waffles)
>fried duck leg (salt cured, confited in duck fat, then dredged and fried to order)
>chick pea/quinoa/herb/buttermilk "waffle" (i haven't executed this one yet but i'm pretty sure i can get it to work; there will obviously be flour in it as well)
>fermented habanero tikka masala
>pickled shallot
>cilantro/mint yogurt, fresh thai basil/cilantro/sliced radish garnish

Fourth (boar rack)
>boar rack in a holiday rub (cumin/coriander/anise/allspice/clove/etc), pan seared/basted in brown butter
>sweet potato/celery root/ginger/bacon hash
>bitter greens wilted in the pan used to cook the hash w/garlic and sherry vinegar added
>roasted chestnuts pureed and thinned out with milk/cream
>fresh pomegranate

Fifth (bread pudding)
>egg nog brioche pudding
>goat milk caramel
>whipped creme fraiche
>gingerbread crumble
>dried fruit

>pic somewhat related; the kind of dish i wish i could conceptualize

could you try to put a little more effort into your replies, user?

some people might get the impression that you're a "faggot"

>implying Veeky Forums can cook anything which extends Mc'n'cheese with some za on the side
I like your thread but I doubt it will get many answers.

Sounds nice user.

I like the oyster amuse. Will you be serving wine with it? Have you considered matching wines for every plate?

I just dont like the use of chick peas.

i like that one too.. i was inspired by drinking a martini while waiting for a meal to begin a couple weeks ago. i always opt for pairings when eating out, but ill be the first to admit i know nothing about wine.

why don't you like the use of chick peas? i'm envisioning a fluffy waffle with the texture/flavor and herbaciousness of fallafel

stop being gay

no thank u

> dirty martini oyster
upscale barfood. barf-ood. see what I did there?
> carrot salad
you forgot the carrot leaf foam. also a salad cannot be a first course. I will shank you if you try.
> venison tartare
leave the fucking fisheggs out. also fermented potato tastes exactly like garbage smells. don't.
> chicken and falafel waffles
this is just such a fucking trainwreck. also not everything with chickpea in it is hummus. and you don't have to have ayran if you eat chickpeas. wtf
> boar rack
> rack
> pan seared
you're taking the piss. now I'm certain of it.
> bread pudding
boring, with a chance of shitty, depending on how you handle the goat milk

I like your thread but I can't cook so and don't know what a tasting menu or an amuse bouche is.

Post OC please, chef.

Amuse
>smoked mussle
>vichysoisse sponge
>mead sourdough bread crisp
>baby leek gel

First
>seared snipe breast
>woschester chantiny carrots
>Salt baked parsnip puree

Second
>butter poached turbot, stuffed with a chorizo, pine nut and cranberry mousse.
>confit pink fir potato,
>black trumpet mushrooms, shallot and Jerusalem artichoke cream

Third:
>roquefort souffle
>pickled celery and heritage tomatoes

Fourth
>treacle cured beef wellington
>bone marrow pomme puree
>honey roasted baby roots
>port and juniper jus

Firth
>fine apple tart
>cassia bark ice cream
>sour apple sherbet

worcester, chantilly, rocquefort - otoh that's how I know you work in a kitchen

what do you mean by vichyssoise sponge?

Sorry Chantiny carrots not Chantiny

Vichysoisse is a cold leek and potato soup, you can turn it Into a sponge by putting gelatine in it and putting it in a cream gun and aerating it, then setting it.

Got it wrong again Chantenay carrots. Fuck auto correct

> you can turn it Into a sponge by putting gelatine in it and putting it in a cream gun and aerating it
ok. what does this accomplish?

n-not me

What does Roquefort have to do with working in a kitchen? Anyone who has spent any time in France or knows the first thing about cheese in the slightest knows Roquefort.

Not only that, it's one of the most well known Blue cheeses in the world, next to stilton and gorgonzola.

Basically, yeah. I mean I can buy it in any big supermarket.

You get an arerated sponge that holds its shape, but melts when put in the mouth.

It's better for construction of dishes than gels and purees because it holds whatever shape its given and doesn't melt as easily. Give good hight to stacked canapés

knowing about it, yet misspelling it, has

I see.

Love the oyster dish, not sure if feta makes sense on it to me though- kills the clean feel the dish had to me, and you already have olive in there for that briny flavor.

Carrot salad looks solid, wouldn't change anything on that.

Tartare of venison is fucking awesome if it's done well. Not sure about the caviar on it, but I'd give it a try.

Chicken/duck dish seems like it belongs on a different menu to me, but it sounds pretty good. That said, other than chickpeas, it doesn't sound like it has any of the flavors of falaffel.

Boar dish sounds great. Boar + chestnut is a fucking awesome combination, I've done a boar dish with chestnut gnocchi before that I really liked. However, the part where you mention using the same pan would cause some issues during service- it means you have to cook those two items sequentially rather than simultaneously. Might not be an issue but I could see it being a pain in the ass.

Bread pudding is possibly a little underwhelming but if it was executed super well it could be great

Posting my menu idea in next post, it was too long to go in this one. I live on the coast of BC so I'm trying to keep it local-feeling, which is a little tough in the winter.

*Worcestershire
Retard.

Curing the beef for your wellington with treacle sounds like a really cool idea, and sour apple anything in a dessert is fucking good.

Amuse (Sword fern + salal)
>Slow roast sword fern rhizome (similar in flavor to sunchoke)
>Fermented salal berry (sort of grape-y tasting when fresh)
>Sockeye salmon roe
>wild herbs
>local coarse sea salt
>bee pollen

First (Seashore dish)
>Slow poached mussels, clams and goose barnacle in a seaweed, white wine and citrus nage
>roasted prawn shell salt
>preserved tangerine

Second (Sablefish)
>Sablefish lightly smoked over ice wine barrels
>Shell-roast dungeness crab
>pickled Mirabelle plums
>shaved fennel
>black walnut
>white wine beurre blanc finished with a tiny touch of ice wine reduction

Third (Chestnut, forest dish)
>Chestnut agnolotti (chestnut dough filled with house made ricotta, creme fraiche, and chestnut puree)
>roast winter mushrooms
>burnt lemon and brown butter emulsion
>tiny bit of toasted cedar cream
>crispy dehydrated shaved root veg

Fourth (Goose)
>pan seared goose breast
>quince and birch goose jus finished with goose foie in the style of a bordelaise
>buttermilk parsnip puree
>goose fat roast turnips and radishes

Fifth (Chocolate + spices)
>Spiced caramelized milk chocolate fondant
>Sarsparilla root ice cream
>Salted cacao nib, sponge toffee, cocoa shortbread, and dark roasted hazelnut crumble
>blackcurrant

Some of the dishes definitely need some tinkering with and I'm sure they'd change during testing if I decided to actually to them

Wor-cester-shire

the shire around the castle at Wor. lrn2 English maybe?

> amuse
seems fine
> first
ditto, except maybe pick something less sharp than the tangerine?
> second
crab OR sablefish. i'd go with sablefish
> third
I like the segue from the walnuts
maybe ditch the root chips, they won't go well with the pasta, I don't think.
> fourth
no sweet potato? no horseradish?
> fifth
ok by this point it's pretty clear you can't into desserts

This thread is why i didnt go to culinary school

Why did you say "price point"? Does anyone know what this word means anymore?

price point is the amount of money you have to sell a dish for in order to make up for the cost of labor/ingredients..

how is it a trainwreck? if i can get the waffle to work, it'll be delicious..

>fermented potato smells like garbage
>can't into boar rack
>thinks making cajeta is difficult

opinion discarded

i'd eat all of these dishes, but i feel like they lack cohesion in the ingredients you've chosen for each dish.

the turbot, for example. it's all over the place; what's the main flavor profile you're envisioning?

yeah i'm not sure about the cheese bubbles either but theoretically it should work, tying the olives into the sorbet/oyster.

if there's one thing i know how to do well, it's tartare. i think the caviar on the dish is a no-brainer, contrasting the venison and the funky tartare with some nice, bright salinity/umami.

i gotta work on the waffle, but it will taste like falaffel if i can get it right. i've done zero R&D on it but i think it could be a cool take on chicken and waffles..

i'd cook the hash, transfer hash to something else, put pan back on burner cranked to high, sautee garlic, kill heat, throw in greens, deglaze with a little sherry vinegar, salt/pepper.

bread pudding is a cop out because desserts are my weak point, but i know i could do it really well and who wouldn't enjoy some bread pudding to finish christmas dinner?

ha, i knew you're from the PNW before going back and reading that you're from BC.. the gooseneck barnacles gave it away.

amuse is good.. first feels incomplete, and i think the preserved tangerine/white wine/citrus nage needs balancing with some fat/starch as well as sweetness.. sablefish sounds delicious.. pasta course sounds really good.. fourth course needs brightness and acid.. dessert is a wreck; it looks like you've lost sight of the forest through the trees on that one.

**funky potato foam

bumping with sad curry

bump

It's always the good threads that die first

Anyways, rate my shitty menu.

>amuse
a single piece of tuna/salmon sashimi

>first
Lobster bisque with a biscuit

>second
Squash ravioli
Light tomato based sauce

>third
Veal
Horseradish mashed potatoes
Assorted veggies

>fourth
Spinach salad with feta, cranberries, apple slices, etc. Maybe throw some chicken in there

>fifth
Simple tiramisu with tea

I think it's obvious I'm not a chef but w/e