Hey, USA

Hey, USA
what is Cajun food?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M5XXU47q9js
youtube.com/watch?v=gF_dcGIr7w0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Stuff boiled with lots of spices.

Its the only cuisine at all relevant when discussing American food.

The other 50 states are just pizzaburgers.

when u discover chili powder

>51 states
>implying Louisiana only has one kind of cuisine
>implying there aren't a number of excellent cuisines eaten in and outside of Louisiana
bongs are literally irrelevant

t. actually from Louisiana and not New Orleans

Tfw Shreveport

tfw got the fuck out of that swampy hellhole
but godamn do I miss every single food from Shreveport to New Orleans

states
c'mon bruh, puerto rico is a state in all but name

its basically dirty swamp food thats covered in chili power, cayenne, and other spices and stuff to cover up the taste of mud and shit that all over what ever creature you pulled out of the swap to make a "dish" out of

your forgetting about barbeque

nah, it's more like spicy french food

>chili powder
Hahaha you are so fucking wrong, stop posting and kill yourself you yankee twat

>dirty swamp hillbilly detected

Don't worry, I got you famalam

Wow you two don't know shit about anything
Cajun food is based on a mix of West African/soul food, Basque/Early Canadian French, and local flora and fauna in Louisiana. It includes some other Southern foods like fried chicken, greasy greens, gravies, biscuits, and cornbread, but it also has a lot of unique and good quality shit like
cajun gumbo and jambalaya
fried catfish/shrimp/oysters and hushpuppies
boiled crawfish, shrimp and crabs (with a spicy, oily boil and sometimes butter)
hot sauce (made with tabasco or cayenne)
red beans and rice (usually made with pork tasso, a dry smoked pulled pork)
dirty rice (rice with ground pork, a roux sauce and some kind of meat-based thickener)
fried pork skins
spicy pickles
fried green tomatoes
Cajun andouille and green onion sausage (smokier and spicier than the French version)
sausage patties (kind of like burgers, but made with ground pork and red from all the seasonings)

yes cayenne is a major flavoring agent, but it doesn't have to dominate every dish it goes into. I think sausage is the only food I can think of where the primary flavor is cayenne; in everything else it's like salt and pepper.

You can't be a hillbilly if there are no hills. The correct term is coonass or yat, 0 for 2 shithead.

Cajuns were a group descended from the French and having a primarily French culture deported by the British from eastern canada. They settled in the wild swamp areas in southern Louisiana. They brought many of the french peasantry cooking techniques but developed an independent cuisine based on locally farmed and hunted ingredients. Additionally, they began to use more hot peppers, notably cayenne, as a flavoring.

addendum: what is NOT cajun food

People tend to think creole food (the dominant style of New Orleans) is cajun food. It's not. The two are similar, to be certain, but creole food is a mix of Spanish and French flavors with a little bit of West African thrown in. The traders on the Mississippi were mostly rich Frenchies. The rest of the people living in the Southeast were poor migrants from Acadia (probably Basques, desu) and slaves. So one is more haute cuisine than the other, but you got a lot of mixing going on in both.

Creole and New Orleans foods include:
tomato-based shit like red jambalaya, tomato gumbo (creole gumbo), shrimp and crawfish etouffee
crawfish monica (crawfish, pasta, loads of cream, loads of butter)
po-boys (although by the time these were invented, cajun foods already made their way into New Orleans so you got that)
beignets and coffee with chicory
lots of duck, duck confit, etc.
various kinds of raw and stuffed oysters
muffalettas (which are not po-boys)
bananas foster
pretty much anything that looks like it came out of a French culinary institute

I'm not sure which one alligator sausage comes from though. I think of alligator as swamp trash food, but I had damn good alligator sausage in the French Market, so there's that.

>spices like salt and pepper

They use a lot of garlic and thyme too.

*Basque
they lived in the border between France and Spain, in an era where the borders of Europe were ill-defined, before they migrated to the New World
and you completely skipped the point in time where they settled in Canada

90% of what those swamp niggers eat is rice and fucking gravy. God help you if you don't cook up some rice and gravy for every meal, you will straight up get fired over this shit.

Not any worse than most other cuisines. It's all a few great dishes intermixed with mountains of shit no matter where you go in the world.

>ignores two long, non-exhaustive lists of Louisiana foods
>posts a picture of the first food that every 30-something drunk blonde housewife orders on vacation when she goes to Bourbon St. and declares it must be the only thing that everyone in the entire state eats
not even going to rate you, you're just a dumbass

Wow another yankee who is completely daft. Do the world a favor and go back to your pizza and hot dog filled hovel, while we enjoy real food. Thanks.

Retards who watched Emeril cook some creole food 15 years ago on food network and now think they understand cajun food and people.

I'm from Baton Rouge and got my bachelor's in New Orleans you stupid prick.

I am actually a native of louisiana you mouth breathing cunt, please chase your light beer with some arsenic and remove yourself from this world, thanks

And I'm from Jeanerette what's your point.
Again gems in shit. They have some good food but the vast majority of every day food is fucking awful.

>cajun """"food""""

ahahahaha

I'm sorry, I don't know the names of villages that have less than 1000 people
Except Waterproof and Bunkie, two great names for places
Maybe you should move outside of your tiny swamp village to somewhere where people know more than two recipes?

I mean in a city where the per capita income is about $10k I can see why you would think how you do, but in cities where everyone isn't a poor nigger and can afford more than a microwave, the food is highly varied.

Southern food so good it makes you want to go out and cajunigger

It uses onions, bell peppers and celery base.

>mfw this thread

OP, allow me to take the basics out of the grossly exaggerated shitposting going on here.

>the two main cuisines are Creole and Cajun
>Cajuns come from southern France (originally), they migrated to Nova Scotia in the 1600s and settled what they called Acadia, but were driven out by the British and they then migrated to Louisiana because it was already a major French colony at the time. Those Acadians spread out and became trappers, farmers, and fisherman.
>Both use the Holy Trinity in many dishes, which is basically a mirepoix, but using bell peppers instead of carrots. I prefer red bell peppers, some people like green.
>Cajun and Creole cooking share many similarities, both are Louisiana born and bred, and both have French roots and use lots of sauces and roux bases.
>But Cajun is like old French country cooking, simple hearty fare with deep flavors that came from using what they could find, tabasco peppers, sassafras root, etc.
>Creole food began in New Orleans, French based, but with a mixture of Spanish, Italian, African, and other ethnic groups thrown in, as it was with the other major port cities where rich traders had cooks who were usually black and of either African or Caribbean descent who learned to cook French and Spanish dishes with their own flair and ingredients. It's more complex and sophisticated than Cajun cooking, like most city cooking. But both are delicious.
>For example, the best seafood crepes I've ever had the pleasure to eat were in New Orleans, but the best etoufee and gumbo I've ever had were in Lafayette and Opelousas.

It's two of the most unique cuisines that are distinctly American and represent the "melting pot" that we are, although there a lots of other amazing regional cuisines around the country as well.

no its not
you can't vote if you live there

my friend used to cook at Emerils
hes a lunatic though and got fired

IT Got dat west abrican infuence boss!

Black people be doing goooood cookin!

Shore is gud!
>Whites ever took any advice from nigger cooking
>Its Gumbo, not dirt cookies nigger
>"West African cooking!" With no ingredients available or used in Africa

Just accept that none of the influence came from Africa, it might have had influence from Blacks, but they didnt fucking learn to cook in Africa.

>Deported by the British in eastern Canada

READ NIGGER READ!

Goddamn, do the world a favor and cut your eyes out with a melon baller so that people can tell you are blind from a glance instead of having to wait for you to talk.

American curry

Get the fuck off my board, poltard.

black people curry

best part of cajun cuisine is the dessert

do not disagree

There is no such thing as "Cajun Cuisine" there is the food of Urban Creoles and the food of rural Creoles.

Note: Creole is not a race or color. It simply means created from or born of the colony.

When the Acadians came to Louisiana in every region they moved to they were a minority 2 to 1. They did not remain culturally distinct. They assimilated into the rural lowlands mileu.

Prominent and wealthy Acadian refugees became part of the wealthy Creole class. The poor were called Cajun as an insult, it was like saying poor white trash but even poor white trash called each other that. Most Acadian refugees and their descendants despite mixing with dozens of other groups identified as simply French.

Regardless the cuisines of the lowlands were adopted by Acadians and CODOFIL shills looooooooong time later created Cajun everything for tourism. Having eaten acadian food up north numerous times I will say there is absolutely nothing alike.

Rice is an African food, the Acadians had no reference point to it. The main styles of cookery and practices are the result of Senegalese women taking influence of certain French eating customs and incorporating varying degrees of foraged and hunted foods depending on the proximity to markets and the cash to purchase refined foods

>It's spicy swamp garbage
>No it's not! It's West African and French influenced spicy swamp garbage!
That's basically what I gathered from your post.

>There is no such thing as "Cajun Cuisine" there is the food of Urban Creoles and the food of rural Creoles.

Well, that's just complete bullshit.

>what is Cajun food?
Delicious.

Seafood and land creatures simmered, boiler, braised, and grilled with cayenne pepper and other spices.

A legacy of French cuisine but not as faggoty, based in rice and good bread.

Boudin, crawfish, gumbo, etouffee, jambalaya, catfish, andouille...

It's like haughty french food, except fun.

t. East Texan who grew up on it

What happens when French people mix race mix with voodoo niggers

you're pretty.

>best part of cajun cuisine is the dessert

>didn't post bread pudding with chantilly cream

imho would feed to dog

I made shrimp etouffee once, only I have no idea if I did it right or not because I've never had it before so don't know what it actually tastes like.

did it taste good?

No it's not. Find me five distinctly "Cajun" recipes with direct roots to Acadia and not merely rural Creole dishes.

I have acadian refugees in my bloodline, Cajun wasn't an autonym until CODOFIL. There is no distinct cuisine attributed solely to Acadians.

The french canadians also deposited some food traditions in maine on their way south.

I think there's some truth to what you're saying, but I think there's some missing socio-genealogical info.

Some investigations suggest that the location of "France" where the Acadians originally came from is less Franco-Norman and more Basque, something like mountain Iberians perhaps. Yet, until the handoff in the 19th century, New Orleans was a port center completely inhabited by recent migrants from the French merchant class. I definitely think class distinctions are a big thing between the culture of New Orleans and the rest of Louisiana, but the peoples in these two areas arrived from different parts of Europe at different times and blended more with different European and African ethnic groups. Perhaps Cajuns and Creoles are both technically creole groups, but their geneo makeup, language, and culture is not in any way identical.

French cooking techniques + Louisiana-centric ingredients (shellfish, hot peppers, etc.).

I'm not sure if you're trying to convey an overall point or just nitpick. Cajun/Creole/etc is an American adoption, that combines French techniques, mostly of the peasant style, with what's available in the Southern United States.

But, if you want to stick to your guns, please give a good-ass recipe. God damn, I love some good foods!

That user speaks the truth.

It's like the idiotic people that call southern food "soul food" and think it's a black thing when it's just common southern food eaten by everyone in the south.

>what is Cajun food?

Pretty good, is what it is.

All kinds of proteins and sauces made with a flour/oil roux, the trinity of celery, onion, and bell pepper, and spiced with salt, pepper, cayenne, oregano, thyme, basil, and file powder.

Sausages that are spicy, smoky, or spicy and smoky.

Tomato sauces spiced with alot of the things used for a dark roux.

Cajun food is hearty, and spicy, alike.

New Orleans Creoles are a different breed in and of themselves. Acadia refugees went to rural parishes where they were met with populations twice their size with food culture similar to Creoles elsewhere just much more backcountry

Those people are just as Creole as Creole in NOLA, the definition of Creole is merely of the colony.
Eh that generalization is incorrect.

It's not merely French. It is a Criollo Cuisine that married Southern French and Wolof cookery with German, Italian, Mexican, Indigenous, Canarian and Filipino ingredients and dishes.

>Cajun food is hearty, and spicy, alike.
I prefer indian desu.

it's French food but with ingredients and spices you find in the US/central America.

It's all good.

I do a rotation with chicken dishes where I'll do an Indian chicken curry, then a Thai style curry, then I'll do a chicken and andouille gumbo, then a jambalaya, then a stir fry, then it starts all over again.

I really like the smoky flavor of the andouille or tasso imparts in the Cajun meals, and you don't get that in most cuisines.

it was invented by Black people, dumbass. If you give slaves low quality trash and cheap field products like the fat cuts off pork, swamp fish, corn, the leaves from various vegetable plants, and beans, guess what they create from it?

Shreveport is East Texas, Ruston is south Arkansas, and Monroe is west Mississippi. North Louisiana is not real Louisiana.

>it was invented by Black people, dumbass

No.
It wasn't.

"Soul food" is nothing but meals created with the cheapest cuts of meat, or of the parts of animals that don't sell and don't preserve well. INCOME determined who ate "soul food", not skin color. Poor whites didn't have the money to buy top choice meat cuts all the time, but they might be able to afford pigs feet, hog jowls, or ribs. Likewise, poor whites that owned livestock would try to make use of EVERY part of the animal when they butchered it, including the intestine for chitlins', and the brain and head for head cheese. "Soul food" is SOUTHERN FOOD, not black food.

The ONLY reason SOUTHERN FOOD is associated with blacks and called "soul food" is due to the massive migration of blacks to northern cities after the civil war. When they arrived in those cities, they brought with them their southern cuisine, and ignorant northerners began to associate that cuisine with blacks, not the south, and with that association, the term "soul food" was born to describe the SOUTHERN cooking eaten by, and familiar to formerly southern blacks.

The entire ""soul food" was created by blacks" is just a food meme, and it's as stupid as the "we wuz kingz" meme.

Why do so many yankee fucks and racist ass northerners think there is no such thing as a poor white person?

You really buy the meme that whites and blacks in the south hate each other don't you? Fuck my great uncle always made sure that the black families in their village had fresh hog for Christmas, might have been getting some of that chocolate puss though.

>Why do so many yankee fucks and racist ass northerners think there is no such thing as a poor white person?

They think that everybody in the south had black slaves, to do all their work for them, because they're ignorant about the costs of purchasing and maintaining A slave, let alone a group of slaves.

The fat man has the best Cajun recipes IMO.
youtube.com/watch?v=M5XXU47q9js

The gumbo and jambalaya recipes are the bomb, and you can use whatever proteins you want for them. Over time, certain meals became the "standard", like chicken and andouille, but people used whatever they had available as the protein source, so you can to, and it'll be fine.

For the seasonings, just do a search for creole or Cajun seasoning and add to taste. They're usually a mix of : cayenne, paprika, salt, black pepper, white pepper, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, and sometimes a pinch of cumin and or chili powder.

>what is Cajun food?
It's basically italian food with a carribean/jamaican twist. Like pizza with pineapple.

>bongs are literally irrelevant

We invented your country nigger

>Paul Prudhomme

He's the GOAT.

I have one of his books, and some of those recipes are complicated as hell, but they're a great starting point for figuring out the basics of a cajun dish.

>It's basically italian food with a carribean/jamaican twist.
No, it isn't.

Folse is an excellent cajun chef. His homemade andouille sausage is the real thing. His recipe is online.

I'm a working-class white from Louisiana. Cool strawmen.

I'm kind of impressed at the idea that poor white people and plantation slaves would learn how to cook the exact same fucking thing. I'm sure there's some overlap, don't get me wrong, but slaves literally had to learn how to cook with throwaways. It's well-documented that, unless they were prized work-horses, they had nothing to eat but fat and garbage cuts and field throwaways. "I'm poor so I'm going to eat the leaves of vegetables instead of the vegetables themselves" fucking stupid, no, in the south vegetables have always been plentiful and affordable. If you worked on a farm all day, you ate the shit you grew and you traded your shit for other shit that other people grew. They didn't eat steaks all the damn time, but they didn't have to make meals out of fatback. Yes, again, there is overlap, but poor white foods and slave foods are not one in the same.

>current relevance is based on what you did 400 years ago
jej.
by the way, many of the colonies were private and some were founded by Europeans from other countries, meaning you're even less relevant than you thought. You could make the argument that you gave us our language, but I've never met a Brit who could afford to admit that American English is the same language as the cockney garbage you speak on your little autistic island.

I don't know but I worship good boudin.

>A bong. On a culinary board.
This kills the sides.

>I'm a working-class white from Louisiana.
And?

I'm a working class white from Virginia raised on many of the very same SOUTHERN dishes referred to by idiots as "soul food". I learned how to cook all that shit over the years. My collard greens are the bomb, as is my fried chicken, and I can make black eyed peas that can hang with anybodies. Though I'm not a fan of chitlins, I'll eat the hell out of a nice smoked ham hock. ALL of that shit is what morons consider to be "soul food", but it's not. It's just southern country food.

>Cool strawmen.

Oh, look, another Veeky Forums high school debate team member spouting off terms that are supposed to impress people and created by idiots in a vain effort to control any given narrative.

You're probably just some faggot from California white knighting for blacks, as usual.

Go to 27:39 youtube.com/watch?v=gF_dcGIr7w0

This shows a bunch of Cajuns working together to butcher a hog. Notice that they use ALL of the hog. This was common all over the country back before we had refrigeration and access to ice.

"Soul food" is just a term used by ignorant urbanites to describe southern food, and in many cases, country food eaten up north as well as down south.

^THIS^
337 bruh

Are you fucking retarded?

What is okra, fuckface.

>vacation in Nola from Atlanta
>miss the people and vibe in the city, everyone nice
>alcohol all the time, every time
>good af food
>everything only 10 mins away

Wish I could move desu.

Why do yanks try to classify everything as this or that. Can't stand fuckers who have to be right about everything.

>MY board
Fucking loser lol

>lol
kill yourself

Yeah, you've actually got that right even if your post sounds kinda autisty.
I grew up eating cajun style gumbo and the only kind of gumbo I see comerically is creole style gumbo.
Pic related is what I grew up eating: cajun style

As opposed to this
Creole style gumbo
Big difference is in the broth - cajun uses a dark roux, whereas creole style is more tomato based and tends to have a lot more chunks of tomato, okra, pepper, ect, whereas cajun style gumbo will usually dice the veggies for the base small and sweat them down until theyre soft and tender and more or less blend in.

Dumping a little more.
Catfish coubion is a dish we'll make when the men go out to catch apaloosa cats. They'll split the filets between the families, and we make a stew out of the heads of the fish - big bones, with a surprising amount of flesh on them to make a very meaty stew.

Here's an apaloosa cat for reference
They get bigger than pic related

>we invented your country

241 years later and you nerds are still trying to act like you won that fight. Lol ok

>and?
and?
I'm a poor white guy from Louisiana yet I make great Southeast Asian food. What does your shit in this modern world have to do with the history of foods? Why are you so eager to claim Black foods?

The fact that you don't understand what a strawman is or why it's relevant here doesn't make me a high schooler from Californian. I'm still a working-class Louisianan in his mid-20s. It just means you're dense as fuck. Which is probably what I'd expect from your shithole state. I mean, I may be from a swampy asshole of a state, but at least we have culture unlike you fucks who couldn't even decide which side of the Civil War to stay on.

In the modern era, people eat shit that used to only be eaten by slaves all the time. You can't use a video from the video-taking era to exemplify food culture of the prewar era.

Soul food is misused by people who know jack shit about the South, but it doesn't mean it's not a real thing. When white yanks aren't butchering it, Southern Blacks are using it plenty.

I'm from Baton Rouge so I've had plenty of both. Problem with our city is that we don't know if we want to be more Cajun culture or more French river culture, so we mix up a lot of both and most of us don't really know clearly which food comes from where.

This is why I love Louisiana, no one expects us to push back. It is so easy to take people by surprise.

barbekkke is great yes

Taste was fine. The sauce was real thin, not sure if it's meant to be thicker.

should be thick. use more light roux

I'm from uptown New Orleans. Born and raised. Cajun food is anything cheap readily available made good. Think: beans, shrimp, catfish, basic stews. But all delicious and well flavored.

DESU New Orleans doesn't get enough credit for our culinary works.