Your favorite grill

I just got a PK for giftmas and I have to say that I'm loving this thing. No bells, no whistles, just a simple aluminum box.

Does anybody here use these? My uncle does brisket and pork shoulders on his. Thus far, I've done chicken and pork tenderloins on mine. After I get back from work in a few days I'll probably cook boudain or bratwurst.

Bacon wrapped pork tenderloins I did tonight. I used a stovepipe starter full of briquettes in one end with a few pieces of oak bark from a downed tree next door. They came out pretty awesome.

That's a nice grill, how much do they run?

$380 for a basic.

But it's virtually immortal. They're made from aluminum almost totally with the few exceptions being the stainless steel grates. Even the frame and shelves are aluminum. The company says it may be the last grill you ever buy and they may be right. My uncle has some that were made in the fifties a day it's still just as good as it ever was.

That shit looks dry as a witch's teat, lad. You bacon-wrapped shit and you got like 5 mL of juice within??? Man you must really know how to ruin good food. Keep on shitpostin'

Nice, I'll get one when I get my own place

I just use the same Weber kettle I've had since 1999.

What makes a PK functionally different?

If I were to upgrade I'd get a big green egg.

Enjoy your Alzheimer's.

If you rest meat after cooking the juice doesn't run out when you slice it.

> lrn2bbq

> aluminum causes alzheimers

Nope.

my favourite grill broke up with me two years ago
>series of shitty lacklustre relationships
maybe I'll just be single for a while

You know you can click on the number to reply right

Got it from craigslist for like $20.

Nice whale flippers in pic.

This. Why would I need anything other than a weber? Every few years I might upgrade my weber model by looking at the craigslist in a college town around May. Pick up new models cheap that way.

My bad.

That's about what it's worth.

How so? It is easily worth the $80 new. Its just that so many people in commiefornia buy them during spring/summer, realize that it takes a learning curve to manage the fire/heat then upgrade to a gas "grill" and try to get rid of the almost new weber.

>like $20
It either cost $20 or it didn't, user.
Which is it?

>whale flippers
lol haven't heard that one before

They were also covered by the Santa hat, so I enlarged the pic to see what you could possibly be talking about and saw them immediately.

lol

Icant remember if it was $20 exactly i know it was less than thirty and she threw in a bag of charcoal, a wire brush and some long tongs. All because i had to clean out the ash from the grill. I didnt exactly get a receipt.

>Why would I need anything other than a weber?
The shape is retarded in terms of cooking area and I'm guessing you can't raise/lower the grill?

Try and remember, finance is important.

>The shape is retarded in terms of cooking area

this is true. It's sweet spot is rather small compared to the overall size of the grate. It's fine if you're cooking for a small number of people. It's a hassle if you're cooking for many.

>>and I'm guessing you can't raise/lower the grill?

Which is fine, given that you don't need to raise or lower it. Raising/lowering the grate achieves nothing.

>The shape is retarded in terms of cooking area
thats why you see so many square saute pans. Round is fine.

>I'm guessing you can't raise/lower the grill?
No, but you can still setup heat zones which are easier to manage. Watch grilling tutorials on how to do it, newb.

The problem isn't "round vs square". It's that the grate containing the coals is much smaller in diameter than the cooking grate.

The sweet spot of a grill is smaller than the are of the coals to start with. To have a grate that's even larger makes little sense, except for indirect cooking of course.

Check out the section on grilling in Modernist Cuisine.

Raising the grill allows more precision in grilling. Don't give me this bullshit that being unable to raise the grill is a sign of experience and better.

You guys clearly only BBQ hamburgers, chicken legs, and the odd steak.

Raising and lowering the grate only provides a very very minor change in heat output. Given that the vast majority of the heat output of a grill is radiant the grate height doesn't really matter unless we're talking about truly massive changes in height (i.e. several feet). the few inches of adjustment you see on some grills is useless.

Modernist Cuisine, Vol 2, page 6.

The shape is a problem at first, but after a couple of cooks you figure out the hot spots/ cold spots and compensate for it .

I cannot justify $369.99 investment just for this problem.

This isn't true.

You are why grilling/bbq will never be taken serious by food critics.

Sure it is, and I just posted a citation that explains why.

A cook book is not a valid citation. Provide a peer-reviewed citation explaining how distance from heat source has no impact on temperature.

Or better yet, place your hand 3" above the coals instead of ca. 7" for the hand test. Meters only matter not inches, so why worry?

>You are why grilling/bbq will never be taken serious by food critics.
The early 90s called, they want their LA Lights back.

Webers are fine for grilling. I have one myself for when I want to grill something hot and fast in a place where my shit might get destroyed or stolen. But I don't use it at home or when I want to smoke something.

> I am poor and I have never used a quality product

You can fuck around with a cheap grill that has hot and cold spots and will rust out the first time water hits it or you can spend a little money and get a quality item that performs well and lasts.

>They're made from aluminum

Enjoy your Alzheimer's

>Provide a peer-reviewed citation

I did. Modernist Cuisine is not a mere "cook book", it's like a fucking grad-school textbook. Every section contains a long list of peer-reviewed citations. There are many such citations exactly where I said they were.

>>Or better yet, place your hand 3" above the coals instead of ca. 7" for the hand test

I've done that many times.

That has been shot down time and again. Aluminum doesn't cause Alzheimer's disease. The end.

Besides, unless you're cooking at 1,500F with hydrochloric acid sauce, you're not going to break that stuff down enough to get any inside you.

>not cooking at 1500f with hyrochloric acid

straight plebs on thijs board

Who here /casual/?
Only flyovers (jealous btw) have the area for real grilling.

Weber wont rust if you take care of it. Being frugal has nothing to do with being poor.

My original weber is more than 7 years old, still looks new when cleaned. I just got another one because i needed larger capacity for bigger cooks. It gets used 1-2x a week every spring-fall.

Ive cooked everything from roasts, whole chickens, smoked some pork (wouldnt recommend, requires constant attention), and fish.

Anything can be preserved with enough work. The question is if you really want to expend the work to keep a $20 sheet metal grill going.

Dude.

If you have a porch, you can grill. I've seen a no shit full-fledged steel BBQ pit on an apartment porch that I wouldn't smoke a fucking cigarette on. I guess they winched the components up there and welded it together in place. I used to see it all the time as I drove past for work. Fuckall knows how they got it out of there but it was up there for a good five years.