Why is Coke marketed to white people and Sprite is marketed to black people by Coca Cola?

Why is Coke marketed to white people and Sprite is marketed to black people by Coca Cola?

I really don't get it, nor have I ever met black people who were crazy for Sprite or white people who hated it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vkw7P87Z87k
youtube.com/watch?v=wWXtFlvYpvc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How is Sprite marketed to black people?

Commercials usually have hip hop, black celebrities like rappers or black athletes specifically

I see
Maybe it's because blacks like to mix it with cough syrup?

market research probably showed a small drop off of white sprite drinkers and a small increase in black sprite drinkers so they want to see if they can continue and accelerate this for max profits

I think it has something to do with the color green, like menthol cigarettes or something, but coke is red like marlboro reds

Black people use Sprite to mix in alcoholic beverages.

Literally the only people I know to have a preference for Sprite over Coke is my black cousins. This has been going as long as we were kids, so before all the rapper ads.

Must be something genetic about preference for lemon lime.

So do Europeans. Well, we use whatever lemon-flavoured fizzy is available, including Sprite. The combination is generally seen as being either for kids/women or only for summer days.

I only know who the guy in the middle is. Who are the other two?

I took marketing courses at uni in the US. IIRC, Coca Cola lost a bit of market share among 'groids when Pepsi began pandering to black Americans in the late 80s and early 90s. Rather than attempt to recoup that loss and potentially alienate white customers and lose their staggering lead in the Cola Wars, they decided to take Sprite in the same direction Pepsi took their cola since, at the time, Pepsi had yet to create a competitor for Sprite and nobody cared about 7-Up.

It's the only thing I use it for. I don't know about US Sprite but in Yurop it's got artificial sweetener in it, which leaves a shit aftertaste.
Plot twist - I'm white.

i hear fanta is the thing over there

black people like more fruity flavors for some reason
whites outnumber blacks greatly so they probably consume more of everything but when seeing blacks as its own market i wouldnt be surprised if they drink less coke and more sprite than whites

For example, Sprite sponsors BET awards show and their rap cyphers as well as NBA2K.

>Paying a university thousands of dollars to lean about soda

Niggers associate sprite with hip hop culture and rampant drug abuse.

What is that?

Missy Elliot or whatever and J Cole, really neither of them are anywhere near 2pacs level of fame but whatever, who am I to challenge Sprite's logic

A picture of something from the Wikivoyage page for Taiwan. Can't say I know more than that.

it's weird because no way in hell can some one look at promethazine and think this shit would go down good with some sprite what the hell does your kidneys think when it finds out you're suckking this shit down like it went out of style

Can confirm, I found Sprite Tropical Remix last year when it was on a test market on the East Coast so I posted a picture of it to Instagram and the only people that commented were lean heads asking me if I wanted to buy cough syrup from them.

I just fucking like Sprite, guys.

Found a little more info.

I don't know, but I've noticed that too.
I'm white and I hate Sprite, but that's because it's too sweet for me. I don't drink much soda anyway, but when I do, it's usually either Coke Life, or Ginger Ale/Ginger Beer.

Opposites attract...

I think the hip hop campaign in the early 90's worked and spiked sales to urban youths. Then I remember them using black basketball americans to promote their product.
Remember when they used that annoying stereotypical puppet to market sprite?

youtube.com/watch?v=Vkw7P87Z87k

But Messi is Argeni.. oh nvm

90's rap was best rap. Heavy D and the boyz
youtube.com/watch?v=wWXtFlvYpvc

It's not, Crush is the hottest orange fizzy in US.

>I really don't get it, nor have I ever met black people who were crazy for Sprite

What is literally every rapper nowadays rapping about codeine? Holy shit are white people out of touch.

Read the thread. Marketing to blacks happened well before the lean fad. I think the lean fad happened because black people like sprite and codeine so they just mixed the two.

What this guy said Do you really think Sprite would base their marketing on an illegal drug? That'd be like Coke advertising to alcoholics because people mix it with Jack Daniels, they wouldn't do that an alcohol isn't even illegal

Hell, sprite had a thing where they featured lyrics from rap songs on the cans. Might've been a little whitey music in there, too, but idk.

>2016
>still sipping lean

uhhhhhhhhhhh

>Must be something genetic about preference for lemon lime
I would agree

really any lemon lime soda barring 7Up or Mountain Dew is preferable

What about 7 up? Is that white approved?