A tan.

A wall

S A L T
A
L
T

Pretentious hipsters don't eat one unless it's chipotle

standards of quality

I grew up in New Mexico and 90% of Mexican food is greasy garbage. Then you go to Texas and suddenly it's a lot better because white people are usually the owners and just hire Mexican cooks

top puf

50% more freedom content.

Well, first of all, Mexican food isn't just one type, there's different styles for every region in Mexico. So, you'd have to narrow it down a bit.
The northern regions of Mexico that border Texas have food that's very similar to TexMex, but with certain differences.
TexMex has some distinctive traits, though. Combo plates are standard, I grew up in Texas and never ate at a Mexican restaurant that didn't offer combination plates (except for taco trucks, obviously). Also, back when I was growing up, the main cheese used was cheddar, although that's changed greatly now. Sure, you can still eat at good places that use cheddar cheese, but most places will use different cheeses for different dishes (asadero, oaxacan, queso fresco, monterrey jack, and cheddar, for example).
Also, TexMex makes more use of flour tortillas. Enchiladas and tacos are on corn tortillas, of course, but flour tortillas are just as standard for other dishes or to go along side a meal.
If you go to old school TexMex places, you're also likely to find chili as a topping for things like enchiladas, burritos, etc. Chili is ubiquitous in TexMex. There's also a variety of enchilada sauces that range from bean based, to meat based, to red chili sauce and green chili sauce. One of my favorite old school TexMex places uses a meat, bean, and chile based enchilada sauce, and it's taken me years to finally be able to figure out how to replicate it exactly.
Also, rice is a side dish, it does not belong inside ANYTHING.

Good ol Texas education neglecting to teach formatting and keyboard efficiency.

Sorry I'm not an illiterate fucktard who can't hold their attention span long enough to read a fucking paragraph. You are everything that's wrong with this world.

>Yellow cheese
>Cooked from the oven
>The burrito
>Enchilada sauce on burritos
>Adding a salad

A distinct lack of ramen noodles and doritos.

Whether or not it was made by a white person.

>Can't format a paragraph
>Excessive comma use out the ass
>Calling anyone else illiterate
>Immediately overreacts to mild criticism and gets super defensive
A true Texan gentlemen, everyone.

You seem awfully butthurt, like a typical Yankee, always jealous of what you can't understand. Sorry, was that too long for you to hold your attention? Did you take your ADD meds today like mommy's good boy?

He's right though, that post was atrocious.

The cheese. Mexicans use oaxaca cheese (also known as quesillo) or ranchero cheese for most of his world famous dishes. While TexMex uses cheddar (and that's it really). TexMex is also super heavy on condiments - mayo, ketchup, even mustard, etc. And tends to prefer flour products over maize ones, this one was mostly inherited by the Mexican northern cuisine.

Lol.

>flyover ate at the generic local "El Toro Family Mexican Restaurant and Cantina" in buttfuck Indiana and thinks he's the authority on tex-mex

Brother I've traveled around 40 states and the shit that I've seen passed around as tex mex is atrocious. It isn't even a complicated or high brow style of food but it's apparently extremely easy to fuck up. I swear to god I ate at some shit hole in Pennsylvania because I was homesick and craving and the chips and salsa cost extra and it was just a can of rotel and some tostitos chips. Shit was worse than taco bell

>Also, rice is a side dish, it does not belong inside ANYTHING.

Couldn't agree more, and you described tex-mex perfectly.

Also sour cream and ranch are a CA/yankee thing. We don't use that shit down here. Guac is fine sometimes but not in every damn thing.

It fixes everything wrong with Mexican food.

Doesn't real Mexican food actually have a significant seafood component to many of it's dishes?

I think seafood dishes are very common in the coastal regions

I've had some really good authentic Mex at a food court in Philly