Post your HOTDISH recipes

Hotdish (or "hot dish") is a type of casserole popular in parts of the northern US containing various ingredients, but usually meat and potatoes (often in the form of tater tots as a topping) and canned soup as a sauce (often mushroom or something savory).

There are many varieties and recipes. Here is one:

>In a deep baking dish, place a layer of breaded mozzarella sticks

>Pour a can of mushroom or cream-base soup over the sticks

>Add a bit of shredded cheese

>Place a layer of bacon over the cheese

>Spread a layer of ground beef (already fried) over the bacon

>Add shredded cheese

>Layer on a mix of sliced onions, celery, and carrots

>Pour another can of mushroom soup over the vegetables

>Add shredded cheese over the soup

>Add a layer of fried onion rings

>Add cheese

>Top with tater-tots

>Bake for 75 minutes at medium heat, covering the surface for the first 45 minutes

Sounds awful for you but would eat drunk.

America, I'm being serious here, this isn't acceptable.
Stop.

Filthy Americans.

>Filthy Americans.
Everyone likes to hate on Americans yet they turn a blind eye on the Middle East, most of Asia, all of Africa, etc. Even most countries in Europe get a free pass.

sounds delish

i would eat that, knowing full well how badly it would fuck me up later.

Get your shit together America. This is disgraceful.

I just made tater tot hot dish. It was the simplest form of it you can make though

My family recipe is ground beef, peas, cream of mushroom, elbow macaroni, bread crumbs, in a square ceramic pot with melted cheese on top

Based mn bro

HYOT

Tater tot casserole is pretty good. But tuna casserole is better.

I grew up in Minnesota and god damn were Sunday potlucks delicious. All that mac and hotdish son.

Shit. I haven't had tater tot casserole in forever. I know what I'm having tomorrow night.

Yours sounds pretty over complicated. Hot Dish is supposed to be simple and easy, not made out of 50 ingredients.

Minnesota is the midwest, not the north

don't lump us in with you

Half of Minnesota is Canada. It's North.

>Bake for 75 minutes at medium heat
>Bake at medium heat
>medium heat

Someone this dumb could only be from Minnesota.

East coast here, you fat fucking midwesterners make me sick. Learn to fucking cook.

>all this hotdish hate, and I'm just sitting here making my lutefisk hotdish on a stick, getting ready for the Wild game.

My recipe doesn't need any more salt.

East coast here,
is a huge faggot. It doesn't sound like anything I've ever had before. When you cook it does the soup dry up enough to be sticky or is the end result runny?

they sell hotdishes at my hospital's cafeteria lol

When made right, it's a little sticky, but far from runny. Runny hotdish is fairly common though, because most people are incompetent fuckups.

you stop.

O B S E S S E D

>hotdish triggers foreigners

you fags pick the stupidest shit to be mad about get a fucking grip

Fpbp

MN here too

GO WILD

food with flavor scares europoors

>hospital

Gotta keep that clientele base coming back somehow

oh shit they even included the state bird

St Lukes in Duluth had some kind of hotdish a few days ago; they sell bottled soda pretty cheap so I go down to the cafeteria whenever I'm working there

>I get that reference

go deep fry some mars bars.

I use cream of cheese soup instead of mushroom

not a fungi... guy

lmao this is worse than spic food

You're scum. Just scum.

a lot of shit talk from euro trash and wannabe euro coastalfags who I guarantee have never even tried hotdish

go activate your almonds

when it's 30 below and you never see daylight cuz of the short days, it's nice to get home and have the whole house smell like comfy food

Talentless fat ass detected.

>being this butthurt that people mock your garbage "food"
Go scarf down some more "hotdish" you fat piece of shit.

you've never even tried it

t. Tourist who moved to the east to accumulate student debt

I've never eaten shit either, not planning to. Not being retarded allows me to determine that some experiences are not to my benefit. Eat up though, tubbs. You probably don't even realize how trashy and classless you are ahaha

Nice nonsensical bullshit there, stupid. I guess eating garbage rots your brain.

Kek, sounds like a real red-blooded 'murican dish which triggers europoors in the worst possible way. Absolutely based/10. C-can a mid-Atlanticfag make this?

also triggers smug coastalcucks

two birds with one stone

>cut up some tendies
>layer of stuffing
>layer of cream of mushroom soup mixed with sour cream
>layer of corn
>layer of shredded cheddar
>layer of stuffing

I hate myself for loving this. Depending on how flavorful your stuffing is, you can mix in ranch-flavor powder for extra flyover points.

>chicken pie is still better, though.

>layer of chili
>layer of diced white onions
>layer of fritos
>layer of cheddar cheese

I want Texas to leave this thread.

at least TX is contributing a recipe instead of getting triggered over god damn casserole.

A thread about hotdish. You're stupid frito pie doesn't belong here.

Exactly how many variations of frozen tater tots and cream of mushroom soup do you actually expect to see in this thread?

You're underestimating these filthy northerners..

>flyovers WILL defend this

this seems nasty even for us British people. Sad!

I work in a MN hospital and it saddens me to see the employees excited and line up for this mush.
its got to be the worst thing I have ever seen

>tfw no tater tot hotdish since mum passed

>it saddens me to see people enjoying food

If the food is that bad, then yeah, it does. Think about how horrible their daily diet must be for something like a tater tot casserole to be a highlight.

Why not make it yourself? It's not hard.

Sure it's not Michelin Star food but how can you not like beef and potatoes? For many it's also a comfort food from their childhood so they have fond memories of it. It's just a simple decent meal.

>no refried beans
You dun goofed partner

Tater tot casserole is a real thing, and it can be quite good. OP's recipe sounds pretty awful though.
I learned to love tater tot casserole because it was in rotation at the university cafeteria. I'm pretty sure it was supplied by Sysco. I know its not the pinnacle of cooking, but most of us quite liked it, and it was well suited to feeding a huge crowd.

>how can you not like beef and potatoes?

Because there are so many better ways to prepare those ingredients.

>>comfort food from their childhood

Yeah, that's what I mean about it being sad. Just think about how awful their childhood experience must have been for something this crappy to be a happy memory.

>>It's just a simple decent meal.

Again, that's the whole point. Someone's dining experience must suck pretty bad when the highlights they look back upon are merely "decent".

Well shit I'm sorry we didn't all grow up being raised by too professional chefs and dine on only caviar and wagyu beef every single day like you do.

We'll stop offending your delicate tastes and sensibilities with our common people food threads from here forward.

>how can you not like beef and potatoes

I dont think it's the "beef and potatoes" people take issue with. It's "dumping a bunch of prepared ingredients into a trough and calling it a meal" that is the real problem.

You are a certified moron. OP's recipe and photo is not even a good implementation of this legitimate recipe. If you do it well, and customize it until suited to your personal tastes, its quite a bit better, and exceeds other "accepted" shit like "shepherd's pie". There is no reason to marginalize this recipe as universally bad.
Its easy, inexpensive, delicious, and unpretentious food that is fully worthy of discussion. Instead of talking about how to prepare it in an awesome way, you just fling insults because of your own insecurities. This is what's sad, not the casserole, but the state of your own existence.

Who said anything about being raised by professional chefs, user?

The point is that these foods are so crappy that it's mind-boggling. Even an average joe can make food that's much much better.

My favorite memories of food when I was a kid have nothing to do with fancy restaurants, pro chefs, or expensive fancypants ingredients. In fact, my family grew up poor. But we still had GOOD food, and so could anyone else. I remember salads my grandma made with veggies from her garden (she was too poor to shop at the market so she grew her own veggies). Burgers my dad grilled out back after he and my older brother came back from a hunting trip. Fresh bread my mom baked at home with herbs from the garden inside. Wild turkey roasted for Thanksgiving (again, another product of hunting because we couldn't afford to buy a turkey).

"Hot dishes" are just plain awful: hey, let's take some shit-tier industrially processed food from Wal-mart, drop it in a dish and overcook the shit out of it! There's no skill or care involved, just laziness. You don't need money to do better, you just need to care.

Yeah you're proving my point.

>Oh why doesn't everyone eat only organically raised home grown non-GMO foods?

>OP's recipe and photo is not even a good implementation

Well sure. That's one of the reasons why I am ragging on it.

>>There is no reason to marginalize this recipe as universally bad.

I can't argue with that at all. So let's see a good implementation of such a recipe. I've never seen or tasted one, so please educate me.

>> you just fling insults because of your own insecurities.

I haven't used a single insult, curse, or profane word in this thread. I just said it was sad that OP's example was recalled fondly by some people and I reflected on what that says about their diet in general. And that's an honest criticism of the food.

But like I said earlier, If you have versions of these recipes to share that aren't so poor in quality and demonstrative of a lack of cooking skill then let's see 'em!

>It's not an insult, it's "honest criticism".

You must be a riot at parties.

And what point is that?

You were blabbering about pretentious this and expensive that. There's nothing less pretentious or expensive than people growing their own food because they can't afford to shop at the market. It's fucking sad when people spend MORE money to end up with WORSE dishes. That's the real sad part: embracing industrially processed garbage, tossing it into a pan with no thought for cooking time or technique and just baking the piss out of it.

>>too poor to eat at mcdonalds
>>silver spoon

sure thing buddy

>I've never seen or tasted one
I guess that makes you an EXPERT

Not who your responding to, but most people in the US could have vegetable gardens where they get a good deal of their food. Of course, those living in the shithole 3rd world cities of the US couldn't, but a drive through any suburb reveals an enormous amount of cultivatable area. 'Murricans choose instead to dump gallons of herbicides and pesticides on a worthless weed called "grass" to conform to an idea of "beauty" sold to them in the 50's by mega chemical corporations.

So yes, many 'murricans could be growing much of their own organic, non-GMO food if they weren't too lazy or deluded about false aesthetics.

If you've tasted something countless times and it sucked every time then wouldn't you feel comfortable in calling out all similar dishes as crappy?

>if they weren't too lazy or deluded about false aesthetics.

That's my point. I'm fucking lazy. I hate gardening and working outdoors. I don't buy fertilizer or pesticide. I don't "weed the garden". I don't maintain it at all.

But I still have various veggies and herbs growing out back. I just tossed some seeds out there and let nature do its thing. Now I have so much goddamn mint that it's threatening to take over and my rosemary looks like a small tree. I spend zero effort on it but damn is it nice to be able to walk out back and get fresh herbs for free. When they're in season I end up with more cucumbers than I can be bothered to eat.

God bless Minnesomalia.
Land of the cucks.

3 - 2 wild over jackets. Calling it.

I eat fairly healthy and lift multiple times a week. I still love tater tot hot dish and would be stoked if my work served it from time to time.
Healthy people can indulge in shitty food too brah. It's also pretty comfy on a cold mn night.

The comment was regarding flavor, not health.

The flavor is similar to beef with mushroom gravy and potatoes.

This sounds like the kind of thing that you'd eat your daily calorie intake from in one sitting and then shit like a garden hose later before dying from a massive heart attack

the people under the flag cant see the spectacle.

is there a design flaw here or what

midwest makes food with love
self-righteous city slickers make food with smug

the cup is ours!
it's our year

Why do we do this every year?

we can meme it into happening

Love:
>POTATOES, VEGETABLE OIL (SUNFLOWER, COTTONSEED, SOYBEAN, AND/OR CANOLA), SALT, YELLOW CORN FLOUR, ONIONS, DEXTROSE, DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE, NATURAL FLAVORING.
>WATER, MUSHROOMS, VEGETABLE OIL (CORN, COTTONSEED, CANOLA, AND/OR SOYBEAN), MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, WHEAT FLOUR, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF: SALT, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, DEHYDRATED CREAM (CREAM [MILK], SOY LECITHIN), YEAST EXTRACT, FLAVORING, DEHYDRATED GARLIC.

smug:
>potatoes, butter, cream, mushrooms, salt, seasonings

you can make hotdish with any ingredients doesn't need to be walmart stuff

hotdish has been a thing long before walmart was around

>midwest makes food with love

Nothing says "love" better than walmart tier food dumped into a dish and overcooked.

I love you so much that I bought the worst possible ingredients and didn't put any care into cooking it!

smug af
why do you hate casserole
>besides "lel, stupid flyover hicks and their walmart food"

>making brash assumptions about people you've never met
You city folk sure are progressive

>yank ''''''food'''''''

>why do you hate casserole

1) Every one I've ever had was made with shitty ingredients: canned green beans (why not fresh?), canned "cream of mushroom soup" (why not actual mushrooms, actual cream, and a sane amount of salt...), and so on.

2) The cooking method is a poor choice. You have a variety of ingredients that all have different cooking times, yet the cook seems to be totally unaware of that. They just dump everything into a dish and bake it. The result is that many of the ingredients are overcooked and suffer in either flavor, texture, or both. It smacks of a total lack of cooking skill and/or care.

BTW, I'm still waiting for someone to post a "hotdish" or casserole recipe that uses good ingredients and prepares them properly.

Butthurt coastal retard detected. Have some fucking self respect.