Other urls found in this thread:

cuchillosojeda.com.mx/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i have that one
it's pretty good
just keep 'em sharp

check pawn shops OP
apprentice chefs get fired and pawn them all the time

the pawn shops arn't going to invest in repairing/ sharpening something they might not be able to sell on
good steel can be re-sharpened again and again

look for the knife rolls the pawn shops never bother unrolling

Yep, I have also got some good deals off ebay. If you prefer a new knife with a warranty you might want to take a look at the entry level Wüsthof SilverPoint series. They are pretty nice, with a very good blade profile and geometry that you don't get get with some name brand knives several times the price.

>look for the knife rolls the pawn shops never bother unrolling

Serious question. I'm not familiar with pawn shop lingo. What does this mean?

It's not pawn shop lingo.

A "knife roll" is a fabric or leather knife holder that professional cooks use to carry their knives & accessories. It's unrolled when the knives are in use, and rolled up for compact transportation or storage when they're not. Think of it like a "toolbox for kitchen knives"

Great, thanks. I learned something. I'll check out some pawn shops.

Except for the parer on the left and the chef's knife on the right all the knives in that roll are obviously utter shit. I just need to look at the blades to see that. Don't expect anything better when you go browsing pawn shops by yourself. It is very unlikely you will get a good deal when you buy something in such a shop without being knowledgeable in the matter. I'd seriously recommend sticking to a new name brand knife, like a Victorinox or the Wüsthof I mentioned.

>Except for the parer on the left and the chef's knife on the right all the knives in that roll are obviously utter shit.

So what? It was a sample image found on google to show user what a "knife roll" was. Nothing more. Nobody was actually recommending that user should purchase that exact set of knives.

I take that picture as a warning example of what OP can expect when he goes knife shopping in pawn shops. I took this thread to be about a specific knife. Pretty useless otherwise.

also in the market for a few decent knives

Dexter Russel or update international. Spending more than $20 on your first knife is stupid. Both those brands make great knives. Work with them for about a year then go for a knife that better suits you in terms of balance, steel and type. I'd get that and maybe a Thai deba knife to see if you like light thin knives for some applications.

try Ojeda
cuchillosojeda.com.mx/

>Farberware
>not shit
Literally Walmart tier.

My low end Henckel has been working well for the past few years. You can find them pretty cheap at stores like TJ Maxx or Marshalls

Yes. Apparently I need a chef's knife as a kitchen assistant. Why isn't there a sticky though? Almost all the boards that specialize in something have a sticky

>almost all the boards that specialize in something have a sticky

Veeky Forums doesn't specialize in something.

This. No one here cooks. The full extent of Veeky Forums's combined cooking knowledge can be summed up as "mise en place, buy a knife, mirepoix", aka highschool home economics course tier.

Asking for any kind of knowledge beyond that is just asking to have your time wasted.

There are people here who know what they're talking about. There's just such a knowledge gap between the pro's and the amateurs that they hardly ever communicate, and beginners usually think Veeky Forums is rude because they ask such stupidly basic questions that they get nothing but joke answers from people who don't want to explain things too basic to waste their time on, and actual cooking threads get lost as blogs or reposts from other sites, or otherwise unrelatable, because 90% of the traffic isn't willing to more than order fast food or open a box of tendies.

>we could have a sticky but nobody agrees on anything here.

Yeah I feel it. The post gap here is worse than probably any other specialized board. It can make for some enjoyable memes but for anyone looking for real cooking discussion, finding the 2 other guys here that can cook can be a pain in the ass.

B-but I need a fun resource to help me keep positive and excel at at my job and be a valuable asset to my employer and possibly be promoted to cook. All the resources they've provided are terribly dull PR stuff and guest accommodation and food safety classes. I thought Veeky Forums would be full of people that know what they're talking about

Veeky Forums used to be one of the best interest/hobby boards, but in the past couple of years it's all but been taken over by /tv/ and the like.

Yo bro the best chef knife is your personal chef knife so find what you're comfortable with and not some brand shit.

stainless steal with a comfy handle and big enough to not bang your knuckles on the board while cutting things.

literally no difference between a 10$ knife and a 500$ one.

>the best chef knife is your personal chef knife
Total and utter BS... 99% of people just buy the cheapest knife from WalMart or IKEA and then stick with it and labour with it for years without ever trying something else or ever touching a really good knife.

A kiwi brand knife. They are cheap as fuck and sharp as fuck. Scary sharp honestly.

Henkels Four Star anniversary knife are on sale. 40 dollars for a 7 inch chefs knife. But I'd recommend getting the Henkels pro 6 inch for 10 dollars more. Both are on cutlery and more dot com. They will get you started.

>literally no difference between a 10$ knife and a 500$ one.

Bullshit. The $10 one will need sharpening every week or so. The $500 one maybe once a year.

>$500 knife would only need sharpening once a year

I like to know what steel that's made out of. Even so, I wouldn't pay 500 for it even if it was s30v steel

I use a fruit nife for cook.
I bought it at 1$shop in japan.
Its very good.
Its important not only how much it cost but also how you take care of it.
We japanese think the tools finally become gods if they are take care of carefully for 99 years.
(*´∀`)

>tools finally become gods

What a cute, whimsical idea. You Japanese really are like elves.

Are ceramic knives legit or just marketing bullshit?

Legit, but very limited.

They're fragile and brittle so they don't exist in sizes large enough to be a proper "chef's knife". They're also ill-suited to many common tasks, like chopping up a chicken carcass.

They do stay sharp longer than a steel knife, but the downside is that when they do need sharpening that's beyond the scope of the typical home cook.

I'll take a steel knife over ceramic any day.

They hold an edge longer, but they're brittle and a pain in the ass to sharpen since you'd generally need something harder than it (ie a diamond stone.)

Overall I'd say they're not really worth it.

That thing's over $200 on Amazon

Thanks guys

Mercer or Dexter