What's the most ridiculous special orders you've ever taken?

What's the most ridiculous special orders you've ever taken?

>Working the lunch shift
>Order for Salmon steak with mash comes in with 'Special instruction' tag
>Preparing the salmon when the waiter comes in to clarify the order
>Not even fucking making this up
>Customer asked to replace the salmon with salad greens, and the mash potatoes with long beans, extra cherry tomatoes

To this day I have no idea why she didn't just order a fucking salad.

Other urls found in this thread:

kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/15433-ridiculous-requests
cheftalk.com/t/72430/most-memorable-stupid-orders-youve-gotten
youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I never ask for special orders

when the waiter asks how I want my steak done I always say "as the chef prefers"

if you want something special make it yourself

I went on a reddit tipping thread once and the only thing I got from it was the knowledge that if you deviate from the menu even a little bit, you're getting spit in your food.

Why are foodservice fucks so neurotic and entitled?

>she
Of course.

kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/15433-ridiculous-requests

cheftalk.com/t/72430/most-memorable-stupid-orders-youve-gotten

That's not true

It does make it tougher though when it's busy because you gotta stand there in the POS typing in the special instructions for the cooks.

this is pretentious as fuck lol

I bet you'd complain if it came out well done

we had a lady order steak and frites but she insisted that she had a chicken allergy and insisted that our fries be fried in chicken free oil

the worst part is that our sous was a fucking moron who believed that through dilligence he could take over the company so here i am boiling a pot of clean grease on my range for some asshole whore with a chicken allergy

>"hi can you pass this to the chef? thanks"

Shredded beef burrito

substitute smothered green chili with smothered chili con queso

works even better with breakfast burritos

"Sorry, sir, we reserve the right to refuse service, and it would be in your own safety to leave. We can not achieve this Olympic gymnastics level task of serving your meal while avoiding these 'allergens'."

I can almost justify this as it could be that they want to not make a fuss and just silently hand it to the waiter to let them know etc

Wow

I didn't know you could be allergic to so many things at once

>sugars ending in -ose
I mean that whole thing is a clusterfuck but Christ almighty

this is literally begging for extra spit in the food;.

Not food, but when I was managing aStarbucks
>venti skinny iced caramel macchiato
>sub caramel drizzle for SF C, full pumps
>lite ice
>3 scoops protein powder
>extra shot

Because of the protein powder, we had to make it in a shaker cup first
>4 pumps SFV
>4 pumps SFC
>milk to first line (so that powder didn't clump)
>add protein
>add rest of milk
>ice
>shake like a retard for about 15 seconds
>into glass
>add shots

I basically forced the barista, who let this dumbass get this drink, to quit because she came in every morning and it ruined my day every time.

I have a lot of stories of retarded drinks, but this one stands out.

>implying you want to giver her a spitose allergy reaction

I call bullshit
That card has soy ink

They have protein powder now? Or did he bring his own?

They've had it for a while; it's for the Evolution Fresh smoothies. I don't know if all locations have those, or any even. I don't care about them in the slightest and I don't work there anymore. We only sold them in any notable volume when there was a promo for it this past summer, otherwise they just serve to make bananas expire in our back of house.

lmao

>sugars ending in -ose

so all sugars?

>I basically forced the barista, who let this dumbass get this drink, to quit because she came in every morning and it ruined my day every time.
Why didn't you just tell her to stop taking that order? Why the fuck is everyone in this business such a fucking dysfunctional neurotic baby?

>tfw some asshole orders a well-done tenderloin every meal for dinner

It's not really 'ridiculous', but I cringe a bit every time I have to waste good meat on this shit.

But the absolute worst ones would have to be breakfast vegans. At this point you can pretty much replace everything on the plate.

>coffee beans
>soy beans
>green beans

One of those "beans" isn't like the other two.

An actual cuckold.

>not having a separate fryer for fries

Allergies are a meme

It's the bottom of the barrel.

If they were normal people they would have proper jobs.

>what the fuck are you doing at a restaurant then? There's a market a few blocks away, go get yourself a cucumber

I would bet money on it that most of them are self diagnosed "princess and the pea" bullshit.

Stupid idea.. some of them like there shit well done or raw

so i guess you never went to college/ university and had to earn some extra money while doing so?

Had a guy come in to the diner I was serving at and order toast and coffee. I told him we didn't serve just toast, so he orders a chicken salad sandwich on toasted buttered whole wheat, hold the chicken, hold the lettuce and hold the tomato.

Is this a blues brothers joke

it's shit is what it is and you know it

>"sorry chef there is a lady who was asking is it possible to take the leek out of the potato and leek soup?"
>Club sandwich on lavosh crackers instead of bread
>Egg white omlet but the man would like the yolks also cooked and served on the side
>Gravlax but no salt on the salmon please
Oh man the list goes on, 5 star hotels are the worst for stupid orders.

Have you seen the movie

You can't. Not and live, anyway.

I had an internship related to my studies.

No.

I left school and got a real job at 16.

To be fair, you're probably going to get a rare or medium rare steak.

But as it doesn't save them any actual effort, it's still retarded.

>real job
keep telling yourself that

I earn a 6 figure salary.

If that is not a real job, what is?

sure you do

Talk shit post paystub

Perhaps if you hadn't wasted your youths doing useless degrees, while working as food servers, you'd be successful too.

I make 32 an hour base and there's a lot of overtime/incentive pay/bonuses/differentials so it's more like 50/hr
I do okay...it's nice to be able to buy whatever i want

Good for you. I'm glad.

It's a good job you came all the way to Veeky Forums to tell us that. Phew, aye lad?

That other user said I was in foodservice. I'm in healthcare and have never worked in foodservice

>useless degrees
i'm in engineering and not ashamed about my part time McD job

>i hope she doesnt react allergic for licking ass

>engineering

bait harder, faggot

His naivety is cute.

Oh, what it was to be young.

As least it's actually a useful field unlike 90% of "healthcare" jobs.

hamburger light pickle

>Go out
>Pay
>Too beta to get it cooked to your liking
>Probably tip too

Holy beta batman!

holiday break must not be over yet

No they fucking don't.

Not him but "lol lmao" fuck off you little crossposting tourist faggots.

>a classic sign of respect is beta

OK.

>chicken salad, hold everything except the toast.

So then, I repeated his order sarcastically, and he said, "yeah, hold it right between your legs." So, I pointed at the sign that said "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone," and said, "you see that sign?" And he said, "you see this sign," and swept the water glasses off the table.

It was a easily 5 glasses in pieces.

Man, I have actual allergies and intolerances, and this is some bullshit. Coffee, soy, and fucking GREEN beans? ANY beans? Literally all sugars? Not to.mention the card has a pointless graphic on it, has multiple spelling mistakes, is formatted like shit, and doesn't even look like it was printed on decent card stock. Every single part of that card gives me an urge to violently maim.

I hope Megan gets hit by a car and is paralyzed for life, just so she has something to actually complain about. You know what you do to deal with your allergies? Don't fucking order the shit you're allergic to, wa-fucking-la.

It is not a sign of respect, it is the sign of a childish idiot.

>No they fucking don't.
Of course they do.

>sugars ending in -ose

Is that even possible?

I really don't think choosing how you want your meat done is a "custom order". It's probably a minimum of choice you should have in your meal.

Some burger places always do their patties well done because they are afraid of making poeple sick or some bullshit. It really gets on my nerves.

I even once asked to go into the kitchen and make my own patty since they refused to do medium for me but that wasn't an option either so I had to leave.

It is a classic sign of respect and if you haven't heard it before this thread than you either live under a rock or have zero contact with the culture of dining.

By the way, after you say "chef's preference", the waiter or waitress tends to say "the chef prefers medium-rare on this cut" or whatever.

>Of course they do.

Chefs and cooks who prefer their steak WELL DONE or RAW would be an extreme minority.

>I even once asked to go into the kitchen and make my own patty

>c-can I cook it?
>Are you asking if you can physically walk into our kitchen and cook your own burger?
>y-yes
>No sir, we can't allow you to do that.
>*autistic screeching*

I actually know a lot of people in the gastro business, including the owner of that place, through a friend of mine that runs a number of food trucks.

I've done this before in a few places. Though here I was mostly joking to make myself less annoyed because I had to find another place to eat.

this has got to be a joke
>im alergic to all sugar
>fucking glucose
>when i eat almost any food and my body breaks it down to glucose, I get sick
>please make my food from carbon and air, please

ill bet she swallows though. bitches dont even know about fructose in semen.

I don't believe you have ever been to a restaurant you cuckold.

Where are you from?

Alright, 6/10, you got me to respond.

>and he said "as the chef prefers"

Too embarrassed to say where he is from.

Yep, classic liar.

I know you're a brit anyway from your IP address, you fantasist.

>I can see IP addresses on an anonymous image board.
Retard.

Definitely someone who wanted us to make a new pizza dough for them that hadn't been in contact with meat. They were extremely insistent that their pizza's dough never encounter meat.

Still cannot figure out where they thought we added meat to raw dough, as that would be a significant health violation if we let that sit for a even a little bit.

samefag lmao

Faggot confirmed.

Maybe he is the Veeky Forums mod, although I guess he'd just ban you if that were true.

I love customers who come in thinking they know anything about the kitchen SOP, and get really fucking fancy with their orders.

Like idiots who order spaghetti al dente and look as though they discovered some big secret .

I work at a pretty high end restaurant as a service bartender/ front waiter. We're a Michelin rated 'progressive' french restaurant.

Anyway we're going over reservations for that day and a party was coming in and requested a deep dish pizza with their prix fixe. Our head sous made it for them from scratch. Needless to say if was a beautiful pizza.

Another time a guest could only eat food from a "gluten free kitchen". Didn't even know those existed. We had to order food from some other restaurant. Served it to her on our plates coursed out like the rest of her party's menu.

Last night we had a lady come in. She's a regular but super high maintenance and kind of eccentric. Requested bread service to begin. Weird but not unreasonable (it's usually served with soup a few courses in). After the bread she requested a chocolate sorbet. Literally not on the menu but I guess easy enough to make. Our head sous made it for her. She also requested no salt for all of her dishes.

Occasionally we get other weird requests like "no land animals", "nothing with 4 legs", "pacific fish only", "aversion to gluten" (specifically told us she wasn't allergic, just would rather not have it)

Then of course some weird drink requests. Johnny Blue and diet coke, a bloody mary with their dinner (what the fuck) a long island with all our top shelf (stoli elit, tanq 10, etc.). Who the fuck orders long islands anyway? Bowls full of blue cheese olives with their martinis.

>the waiter or waitress tends to say "the chef prefers medium-rare on this cut"
Implying that waitresses actually know how to do their job well enough to know how the chef works.

back to /pol/ with you

Those sound fairly reasonable actually. What's wrong with having a top shelf Long Island? Or serving customers who have the decency to admit that they're not actually allergic to gluten, just rather not have it? Or asking for no salt?
You must be 16 and definitely not enjoying busing tables as your first job.
Hope you never actually make it to waiter (or, heaven forbid, bartender) because you sound like those super entitled insufferable cunts who hate it when people order a Mojito.

No salt is fucking insanity. Confirmed for never having done prep in your life.

>Another time a guest could only eat food from a "gluten free kitchen". Didn't even know those existed. We had to order food from some other restaurant. Served it to her on our plates coursed out like the rest of her party's menu.

Damn, that's pro. Nice restaurant.

>"aversion to gluten" (specifically told us she wasn't allergic, just would rather not have it)

That's nice of a customer to clarify, so you know how much to stress over stray contaminants.

They do if you go to a steakhouse worth a shit.
>Go to a very respected steakhouse, the kind that specify on the menu that some cuts will not be cooked over medium rare.
>Order a shot of whiskey, ask the waitress how the cook prefers a particular cut I point out on the menu.
>"Oh, he prefers that rare, but it's a thick cut."
>Order it rare, and tell her the shot is for the cook.

No, it's a joke from 5 easy pieces.

He orders a chicken salad hold the chicken. She says where should I hold it. He says HOLD IT BETWEEN YOUR KNEES.

youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8

I sure hope you are joking. That's some baloney. Nobody does that and it sounds pretentious as hell.

Just say how you like it dumb fuck.

I now know the chef personally tho.

These steakhouses don't exist, you utter wierdo

They do when they are located around small towns and are considered landmarks.

No

Now please, just stop.

This level of fantasy is bad for your mental health.

@applebees

don't eat out if you have fake allergies.

Don't believe me if you want, but now you have that tiny thought in the back of your head
>What if that faggot was right?"

>Chefs and cooks who prefer their steak WELL DONE or RAW would be an extreme minority.

Then its still possible to get steak well done or raw, isn't it you degenerate faggot?

>Like idiots who order spaghetti al dente and look as though they discovered some big secret

The number of times I've heard someone tell me to tell the chef that "el dantey" means the pasta is a little chewy.

>we had a lady order steak and frites but she insisted that she had a chicken allergy and insisted that our fries be fried in chicken free oil
>the worst part is that our sous was a fucking moron who believed that through dilligence he could take over the company so here i am boiling a pot of clean grease on my range for some asshole whore with a chicken allergy

You sound like a moron, even among fry cooks, and while the sous may also be a moron, he was right in this case. Chicken allergies are relatively rare, but unequivocally real, and can cause anaphylaxis. Often but not always accompanied by allergies to chicken eggs and feathers, and associated with allergies to other birds and some seafood. Same is true of all sorts of foods (often it's an immunological reaction related to a protein in an ingredient).

A lot of restaurant allergy claims may be bogus, often it's just a preference (e.g. no gluten - which of course could also be a serious health issue), or sometimes "allergy" is a simpler way of explaining a more complex immunulogical reaction to waitstaff, but you'd be a fucking idiot to ignore a customer's instructions on something like that. If you don't want to accommodate a request, just tell them, look we don't have another frier, and can't change the oil, perhaps you'd like an alternative pan-fried appetizer.

>Bowls full of blue cheese olives with their martinis.
this is 100% acceptable and even commendable