Have you ever killed your own food?

Have you ever killed your own food?

Have you ever butchered it yourself?

Or do you only buy meat from the butcher/grocery store?

I was really hungry once and picked some blackberries from the nearby woods. I didn't butcher them, though, just ate them whole.

I live in an apartment so I don't have much choice in the matter.
I did have a roommate whose parents bought half a cow every year and she'd load up our freezer with an absurd amount of meat though.

Sure. I've been hunting for years. Venison, wild pigs, rabbits, quail, pheasant, turkey...

I usually buy meat from the butcher since I don't go hunting often enough to supply all my meat needs, but yeah, I kill & process wild game.

Used to could before I been done and gone away to the big city now

Sure, who doesn't? I've already taken a dozen squirrels, a dozen rabbits and a good sized doe this year. Yes, I butcher my own meat. I wouldn't trust a processor not to mix in someone's non-field dressed or gut shot filth with my meat. Plus, I strip the bones clean since I make my own sausage.

I once ate an ant, so I guess that counts a killing my food

No
No.
Yes

I am not a neanderthal.

Yes, yes, and obviously no. I've hunted, raised domestic stock, and do a bit of farming. Not very good at the last. Worst part was never the killing, but when I would have to castrate pigs for shows.

>Those screams haunt my dreams

Yes
Yes
No

Myself: Deer, Turkey, Fish, Bullfrog, Squirrel, (also raise rabbits and chickens)
Helped: Cow, Pig
Given: Bear, Elk, Beaver

Also forage local plants and am handing all this down to my son. Everyone should know how to harvest and process to some extent, not just the bullshit PBS specials about 'animal farms' on tv.

I drank a glass of wine with a dead fruit fly in it once

Yeah, primarily deer, goose and duck. I've killed a couple rabbits as well. Butchered all as well, of course. I've only butchered one turkey, because it was on my grandparent's farm and I hit it with my Jeep.

Nice. Do you scavenge for firewood too? I'm teaching my son all of the above. I cut enough in my spare time to sell at a nice profit. That, and mushroom picking will fill the empty spaces in my freezer, as well as a tidy profit to small stores that sell them.

I've always wanted to try hunting duck, because the meat is fucking delicious and it's expensive where I live.

Birdshot is cheap, so I think it's a more economical way of getting duck than currently.

Look at this dainty fuck.

All the time, firewood is a year round thing it seems. I'm still learning the mushrooms, but when our ginseng is dried... cha-ching.

I once knocked a guy out and then sucked his dick. I swallowed, so does it count?

I wish my dad loved me.

Of course not.

I am NOT an inbred hick.

I tackled a bull calf, choked it to death with my bare hands and tore it open with my teeth. Then I went vegetarian because that's just how much of a badass I am.

Me too. I grew up in the city, and he never did those kind of things with me. But after moving to a small town and learning the ropes from my uncle, I want my son to grow up to be a good provider and hard worker.

That's what I love about oregon. 10 bucks for a 3 load permit, and no one checks how many loads you actually haul. Usually I just buy the permits when they expire, but I've gotten shortchanged on some truckloads and ended up getting a couple extra loads or getting a new permit for free after explaining the situation.

Vegetarians are never badass, even in jokes.

what about a man who murders animals with only his bare hands for sport, but refuses to eat them cause he doesn't respect them enough.

I plant my own veggies because here in Spain we can't hunt as easily as in Burguerland and here it's much more cheaper to buy fresh meat from a butcher shop than hunting your own food.

Only things I've ever killed and eaten was a wild boar and a snake. Boar is easy to kill because they're assholes and they break down just like a pig...snake was weird and I'm sure I overcooked it.

Neanderthals were the only true whites. Even "white people" are a bunch of mulatto snowniggers

That's just retarded, why would you waste a perfectly good animal that you took the effort to actually kill?

Look at farming, a cow is an expensive thing, so you make goddamn sure to get your money's worth out of it. Besides the meat and good parts itself, there's so many industrial uses for the rest of the thing it's not even funny, not a single part is wasted, the same goes for hunting if you shoot an animal, take it home, butcher it, and what's left you could send off for rendering, or give to a butcher who will.

Boars truly are assholes, fucking plague on the environment.

And they went extinct just as the white race will in the next 100 years.

It's poetry.

Does dumping crabs into a pot of boiling water count?

What a ridiculous image.

I'll give you a 3/10, that's the best I can do. But yeah it counts.

What are you, an offended vegan?
Do you have any idea how many uses you can get out of a body if you look at it from an industrial viewpoint?

Never heard of such a creature. Was he a zombie or just a vegan? I could sort of understand if a zombie did it, but my guess is it would have to be a graduate of the Ecumenical Evangelical Vegan Seminary. Hypocrisy comprises a significant portion of their course work.

> Yes
> If prepping fish counts, then yes
> Mostly

I'm mostly a city fella, so I'm not ashamed

>murdering animals for no reasons and not even eating them
Is this a joke about how PETA actually kills like 99% of all animals they interact with?

When I was younger, a family friend came over with a chicken. He broke its neck in our backyard, then the adults were all busy prepping it for the soup.

It tasted the same to me, but I don't really recall much.

>castrate pigs for shows
What is the purpose of these shows? Sorry, totally clueless on anything farm-related.

No.

Closest I had I was staying at a college buddy's house over break in Vermont. Lived innawoods pretty much and some one coming down the road clipped a deer. Friend's dad was a hunter so he took us out and decided to salvage as much of the meet as he could after putting the poor thing out of it's misery.

Cop happened by and asked for our hunting permit. Explained it was a hit and run and he just sort of moved on.

You show animals to determine the best of the breed. I was in lower end charity shows for students, so our males were not allowed to be breed stock and were meant to be slaughtered at the end of the show season. Some of the higher end shows due use breed stock. Bought me my first car with the winnings.

>Have you ever killed your own food?
your English teacher would kill you for this sentence

It's colloquial. I don't get the hang-up...

Yes, a gator.

Didn't butcher it, because fuck that, that's an insane task. The local processor butchered it for me, and tanned the hide.

The meat lasted a long time, but in retrospect, it wasn't worth what I paid to have it all processed. Won't be gator hunting anytime soon.

I haven't, but I'm looking into it.

Getting a house this year, gonna set up an aquaponics rig which will give me a fresh supply of fish. Once that it all settled and self sufficient I'm going to move on to keeping chickens. And then see what happens from there.

I'm hoping to basically be self sufficient at a certain point though, so eventually I might end up owning cattle depending on the laws of wherever I end up.

And I don't get your unnecessary ellipsis.
Learn2English.

Just fish. I love eating freshly caught fish.

>Worst part was never the killing, but when I would have to castrate pigs for shows.
You could have been my state's senator then.

>I'm teaching my wife's son all of the above

Don't you put me in the cuck zone, faggot

Both

Killed/prepared animals for myself

And I do it for other people for a living

I've only killed and butchered a rabbit, but I've butchered plenty of whole animals, largest of which being kid goats for easter and barbecues. They average 30lbs or so per skinned carcass and yield about 20lbs of meat each.

Yup. Whe i was younger and still lived out of the city, we were raising (don't know if it's the correct word) rabbits and chicken. Have killed many of them, butchered them then cooked them. they were delicious.

Is the memes REALLY that funny, user?

I killed and disemboweled a lam in Kenya 10 years ago. Made me heave.

I have once brutally plugged homegrown carrots from their natural habitat. After skinning them alive I have scalped them and chopped their dying corpses into dices, then I threw the dices into boiling hot water for maximum savagery.

I got a slaughter course for birthday once.

We watched how the pig got killed and taken apart. Then we helped to create some products from the meat and could take them home with us.

It was pretty fun. I can recommend doing this.

I used to slaughter and butcher chickens for sale.

Never ate any as it was strictly for sale and I was an employee

Then on the way home I'd go to the local store and probably purchased parts of the chickens I had processed but I can't confirm.

I liek fishing and eating fish

Landlord wouldn't wait 30 seconds for me to get the knife and he ripped the head off our chicken dinner with his hands.
Huge fucking mistake. The meat could not be torn or chewed by the toughest of animals and the taste was awful.
Shock meat is garbage. And plucking chickens creates the most intensely disgusting 10 day old boiled saliva smell when you hit them with hit water. There are better ways to do this shit.

I've gone hunting before for like ducks and shit while young with my dad

Also he took me to a pig farm or something and made my brother and I decide which pig to kill and we ate it that day for a party. Think that's part of why he's a vegetarian now. Idgaf but annoying that he can't even cop up to that when we go to a restaurant we are catering towards him

Cuban btw

Who the fuck cares? Food production and preparation is a menial task for lower class people. Are you trying to make me feel bad for not doing things that people 100,000 years ago did? Explain your reasoning. I dont have time for base tasks, why dont you try getting an education, and then you dont need to do it either.

>OP asks a question
>Does not imply a preference
>You get assblasted

That's some nice misplaced anger user, do you want to talk about your insecurities?

I stopped eating meat a few years ago, but I want to start eating freshly slaughtered meat, but I have no clue where to get it.

When I was a kid my crazy uncle gave me a rifle and told me to shoot a chicken for dinner, which I did.

>>who the fuck cares
It's a topic of discussion. If you don't find the topic interesting then go find another one.

I'm also calling out your bullshit: If you have time to post on Veeky Forums then you certainly do have time for "base tasks".

>>education, then you don't need to do it either
Because skills open up what you are capable of doing. I have an engineering degree. I make good money. Sure, I could go buy my thanksgiving turkey at the supermarket, but why would I want to? Going hunting with the family is fun, and we end up with a much tastier bird than some factory-farmed walmart garbage. It's a win-win.

It's cheap.

A gun is an investment, besides hunting it can also be defensive and recreational, and a bullet or two for a whole deer worth of meat is a very economical way to feed your family with pretty nice meat for a long time.

I don't think it's something everyone needs to do, but there's certainly worthwhile reasons to do it.

lol

why do /pol/tards mention race ALL THE TIME?

I made a point to myself to only eat what meat I could kill and butcher. But after all that plucking, skinning, butchering, cleaning up after it, sharpening my tools, etc, it was such a pain in the ass and I decided to give vegetarianism a go

No, but I want to start hunting. I used my friend's .22 to shoot at a goose once, but I missed and it took the gun

>a bullet of two
Plus your tags and your expenses on supplies and travel to wherever the fuck you hunt usually ends up making it not quite THAT economical. At least comparable to going to a local butcher and buying $3-400 worth of bulk meat and freezing it all.

As a vegetarian, I have never shot my own "food", as I do not eat animals.

>Explain your reasoning.

It's a very simple yet important skill. Lacking it seems like a rather obvious shortcoming.

There's plenty of similar ones: basic skills at sewing, carpentry, fixing a car, driving a manual transmission, cooking in general, first aid, building a fire, sharpening a knife, wiring a light switch or power outlet, etc.

Sure, these aren't things you need to use every day in the modern world but they are so simple to learn that it makes no sense not to have those skills. And they can save your ass even in this day and age.

I remember when I went to my first big-deal job interview out of college. A good friend and I had an internship together and then decided to apply for a full-time position. My bro lost a button on his shirt right before the big interview. He panicked his ass off while I said no prob man, I have a sewing kit in my travel bag and got that sucker put back on for him. Base task? Sure. But it was one that got him set up with a damn nice salary.

Depends on where you live, some places they don't even have tags on some animals.

Good for you, sissyboy.

>Lacking it seems like a rather obvious shortcoming
I don't think it does, if he lives in the city and can afford buying it, I don't see why he'd have to hunt at all.

Nobody does everything in society, that's what it's about.

I'm a girl, so

>I don't see why he'd have to hunt at all.

Hunt? Probably not. But butchering an animal? That's super useful if you cook.

>>Nobody does everything in society

True. And I'm not advocating that everyone needs to have professional-tier skills in every field. But some things are just so basic they are easily learned and often very useful. Yet many people these days are totally lacking in even the very basics, and it ends up harming them in one way or another. I hired an intern a couple years ago who was an aspiring engineer. It turned out that he had never in his life used a hammer or a screwdriver. How fucking sad is that?

My mistake; good for you, sissygirl.

>I hired an intern a couple years ago who was an aspiring engineer. It turned out that he had never in his life used a hammer or a screwdriver
That's surreal, really.
I don't do any carpenting or work in any kind of construction field, but I use screwdrivers every now and then.

>it took the gun

You weaponized a goose?! I don't know if I should be pissed or proud.

tits?

When i was a kid i wanted meat so bad i killed a duck in my back yard

I've killed fish and ate them, yeah. Nothing like truly fresh fish from local waters.

My brother moved out east to live with some hippies friends. He ended up hooking up with some hog farmer so now all he does is raise and slaughter pigs. Its pretty neat.

>I used my friend's .22 to shoot at a goose once, but I missed and it took the gun
"That goose killed my entire platoon..."

I've killed a couple rabbits

My room mate butchered them.

No seriously, you can't tell us something like this and not elaborate.

Isn't it obvious that it's a joke? Do you actually believe that a goose stole someone's rifle?

Geese are pretty vicious creatures, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief when it comes to hearing about their antics.

It literly is if u dont lauh at the to your a faggit fucking gaytard

The goose raped me with the gun to my friend's head, and then shot him in the spine. Jamey was paralyzed that day, possibly because Jamey is a fucking gay way to spell a man's name.

While he was in Lockup, the goose got hooked on cheap coke, harvested from tiny irridescent plants that grew on the bars of his cell. He went on an avian rampage, and he broke out, and he raped me again. He didn't enjoy it, and the police told me so, looking disappointed as they plucked feathers from my festering anus.

Later still, I told my grandfather what happened.
"geese.". He chuckled "guess old goose habits die hard" and then he died.

Sure, they're vicious. But how exactly would a goose steal a rifle? They don't have hands. Do you think they are physically capable of grabbing a 10-lb slippery awkardly-shaped (for them) rifle in their beak and carrying it off?

If your answer is yes then please send me your contact information because I've got a great deal to offer you on a bridge....

I don't trust myself to kill animals we raise properly so when we butcher our pigs we get a mobile killing station to come by and do it for us and cut it in half. Then my uncle butchers it with some help from myself or my sister

I've shot wild turkeys before though

You insensitive SCUMBAGS have no idea what I've been through. The goose jabbed me in mykrundle with his jagged beak, and then put me in a chokehold with his slender neck.

Meanwhile, his webbed feet were busy untying my belt, while he used his VERY complex, VERY dextrous wings to pick up the rifle and press it to Jamey's faggot-assed temple. God damn you. Is this what you want, you ANIMALS?

>10lb
>.22 caliber
That would be insanely heavy for that kind of weapon, that's more weight than two AKs, it's more like a beefier airgun in terms of weight and heft than anything.

Besides, geese are known to have drown grown men.

>That would be insanely heavy for that kind of weapon

Clearly. But this isn't the time or the place to discuss firearm specifications. Point is that a rifle (even a lightweight) is not something that goose is capable of picking up and carrying off.

I wish I could but hunting is mostly illegal in the UK and to own a gun I need more money than is worth at the moment.

It kind of is, geese aren't tiny birds, they're big motherfuckers who can actually kill you, I don't see anything really unrealistic about a goose grabbing a 2.5lb item and dragging it off.