Anyone here hold physical gold or silver? Why?

Anyone here hold physical gold or silver? Why?

As much as I enjoy the thought of having a hoard of shiny pretty shekels I just can't see the appeal when there are far better returns to be made elsewhere. Gold is currently in the "return to mean" stage of the bubble meme chart, though.

Attached: Liberty_$50_Obverse.png (1200x1200, 2.34M)

gold is just insurance for a full societal meltdown now, innit?

At that rate I don't understand why you wouldn't just as soon hodl gasoline, water, tools, food etc

Holding physical is retarded. If you want to go that route you might as well buy guns and ammo and build an zombie fortress.

Even if paper gold is a scam it still has great liquidity if you just want to hedge against a market crash and buy low and sell high.

I held physical gold/silver back when gold was $800 or so then sold near the peak my gold/silver. Didnt want to sell but needed money at the time.

Ive been looking at buying some as I like holding gold in my hands, though instead of Gold Eagles, Krugerans / Silver Eagles, I want to buy like ancient gold coins so I can have a piece of history. Not really for the end of the world but just some coins I like and then if I ever fall on hard times I can always sell.

I think it's smart to hold some. Silver seems more practical for trade or whatnot in that scenario. Also a hedge against inflation/hyperinflation

so you're holding because you like the product and can always cash out, not because you expect returns? I guess that makes sense.

bullion takes a lot less space

You should have all that shit before you by gold.

As far as long term shtf investments, lighters, cigs and really small but useful shit just woke up not thinking to straight.

fair enough

don't forget guns, ammo, bazookas, flamethrowers, tanks, etc

I have copper beat that.

why copper?

Because it’s easy to find especially if your place is under construction.

word

found this

Attached: 800x-1.png (800x476, 76K)

>Anyone here hold physical gold or silver? Why?

I like having a hoard of shiney shekels

>At that rate I don't understand why you wouldn't just as soon hodl gasoline, water, tools, food etc

I have that also

>you might as well buy guns and ammo and build an zombie fortress.

I have that also. Let's face it a fortress, guns and tools, equipment an a hoard is a nice thing to have. I also have antiques, a library and an art collection.

I hold gold because the government does not know I have gold. That is good enough. If I leave it to a child, I give it to them. No inheritance tax, no 'wealth' tax.

I own a little bit of silver (Maples). When I cash out of Crypto in a few years I'll buy gold while I wait for the NA Real Estate market to crash. I hold silver as a savings account although I would be lying if I didn't hope that Clif is right about silver being a strategic asset in a few years because "muh alien tech".

I used physical gold and silver to cash out crypto gains

Hahahahahhahah!

buying bullion with crypto for inflated prices... genius.

>I own a little bit of silver (Maples).

I've got 20KG and a KG of gold. I have domestic and foreign real estate but the problem with accumulating it is property tax and maintenance. Gold just sits there off any register.

>Hahahahahhahah!buying bullion with crypto for inflated prices... genius.

If he did it right he did not pay tax you moron.

>don't forget guns, ammo, bazookas, flamethrowers, tanks, etc

I have rifles, shotguns, pistols, light artillery,ammo making facilities, body armour, night vision and an armoured car

>buy gold 40% over spot for crypto
>sell gold 40% under spot for actual money

Yeah what a genius.

Seriously do any of you even have accountants? They'd shit dicks over this kind of retardation.

Also gold is for fucking idiots. If you had one dollar in gold in 1800 you'd have sixty dollars in gold today. If you had one dollar in equities in 1800 you'd be a multi-millionaire. It's literally proven to be the shittiest use of money that you can imagine aside from actually throwing the money into a fire.

Idiots everywhere. If you hold gold you should fucking kill yourself from shame.

gold is nice if you already got the works (house, car, retirement fund) and want some added safety and a more complete portfolio. 10% or less of your worth should be in it.
It's a non producing asset, but no doubt it will see a bull market again some year

>here son, have this $10000 in gold.
>yeah I know it could have been $1.2 million after capital gains if I'd invested in large cap American equities, thus ensuring a prosperous future for you and the nation at large
>but muh taxes were too high
>also here is some sodden shotgun ammo

Idiot. If I was your kid I'd fucking divorce you.

>used for over 5000 years
>comes from supernova
>Is the backbone of modern electronics

What is the question again? You may want to ask if anyone here holds cryptocurrencies. The answer is in your hand....

Attached: officespace_stupididea.jpg (450x300, 28K)

This:

Are you a fucking idiot? Holding physical is one of the smartest things you can do. When the dollar collapses, you'll hold REAL MONEY and your purchasing power will be astronomical. Guns and ammo are always smart to hold too, but I think you should just fucking hang yourself.

Physical gold is mostly just a poor mans tax dodge with a hefty fee for exchange. Eventually there may be a scenario where holding large amounts would make you a winner (Wiemar germany, current venezuela, any hyper inflation scenario), but your talking about a once in a 100 years or more happening. In the mean time, you are losing out on a lot of opportunity.

Real Estate is the patrician move. Leveraged rental real estate is a double hedge against all types of inflation. If currency loses value, your nominal property price increases, while your fixed interest debt decreases in real cost, and rents can be raised to match inflation. If you know what you are doing you can turn $10,000 into a property that pays you $10,000 a year in profits. Gold actually cant turn a profit in real terms, an ounce of gold is and ounce of gold, it is your currency that has become shit in comparison.

-Apocalypse Gold- is the fantasy that people will give a fuck what you want because you have shiny metal in a scenario where the only things of value are going to be your personal skills and requisite tools for those skills.

Attached: 1490400888010.jpg (624x434, 108K)