Powder

I'll cut to the chase before I bore you with story time.

I'm trying to make lemon powder to add to dairy drinks, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Story:
Went to Japan, went to curry spot, drank really good lemon milk. There's a part of Japan that packages and sells a flavored milk like it, but this was mixed right at the restaurant. Got back home and wanted to replicate, but quickly discover the "lemon juice curdles milk" issue when researching.

After a lot of piecing together, I settle on trying to closely zest lemons and drying and grinding the zest. However, the result wasn't able to be fully powdered and was slightly bitter (despite totally cutting away any pith). I think I could add it to food, but it wouldn't dissolve in a drink.

Any ideas? I didn't try soy milk. Maybe that and a touch of lemon extract? Certainly very easy but I worry about the alcohol component and don't know how soy milk behaves. Or maybe lemon powder was the right way but I fucked it up?

Other urls found in this thread:

washoku.guide/recipe/576971
supermerlion.com/tochigi-lemon-milk/
travel.cnn.com/tokyo/drink/snack-nation-kanto-tochigi-lemon-989953/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

why not call the restaurant and ask them?

buy lemon pudding mix and drink it before it coagulates

Google is your friend, retard.

You can buy this shit online. Key words: "Lemon Powder"

Because that is not lemon powder, it's powder that is "lemon flavored."

Also, citric acid curdles milk. I really don't know if this applies to a powdered form, but the first ingredient on that list is citric acid.

If you grate a clean lemon completely with all the parts besides seeds and add the same amount of sugar, next day the mix will look like half a lemon mass half a clean syrup. High sugar syrup like this is usable with milk but you need to mix it with a small amount of intended milk and then add the rest. If something goes it's still an easy cold tea component.

*wrong

>is given literal japanese lemon powder
>whines

Test

What you included is essentially a Japanese crystal light can and I already clearly explained why it wouldn't even fit my needs. I'm not making fucking cheese so curdling milk doesn't do shit for me.

I didn't think of making a syrup first. I'll have to try that.

What happens if you neutralize the acid in the lemon juice first? Could you add it to the milk then? Also what happens if you boil it down to syrup?

Then look up how to make lemon syrup, because making something powdered takes days to do and you need some kind of grinder to mill it into a fine powder.
Also this, you fag.

>someone already suggested making a syrup
>I thanked them for the suggestion

Were you typing this for several minutes or something?

Going off of the syrup suggestion, I have found some instructions that use only zest, not the whole fruit like the other person suggested. May the separation that occurs over the course of a day also eliminates the issues with citric acid? No idea. It seems like zest might suffice, though. If the flavor is strong enough for a similar process to produce limoncello then it should be fine.

In my country(Dominican Republic) we make "morirsoñando" (die dreaming) and it's milk with orange, lemon or passion fruit.
You make it by making concentrated lemonade, add ice because otherwise the milk will curdle, and then add milk.
Breddy gud, dunno if that's helpful to you.

Thick skinned lemons with a lot of pith vs honest nonjewish lemons, I think skin juice neutralizes some acid.

Never heard of it before. Apparently keeping the milk cold prevents curdling... never would have guessed. The interactions between dairy and citric acid make no sense to me. But thanks, that's definitely a quick and really easy solution.

So the zest itself helps neutralize the acids present in the rest of the lemon while the syrup separates?

I'm tried to advice but I know nothing about cooking. We do refrigerate anything. Lemons were thick. The milk was 6% I probably am forgetting something. Please disregard everything I'm sorry.

If you mean the morir sonando (I can't know the ~ code) then from what I've looked up people say the same thing. The cold prevents curdling, so you were right.

Juice the lemons, add pulp from lemons and blend fine, using pH strips check acidity, begin adding baking soda, ie the sodium citrate from that can of "lemon powder" until pH is neutral, then dry to a powder

I'm guessing that the powder is just the essential oils of lemon somehow in powder form, whereas typically lemon extract is dissolved in oil I think. Or maybe alcohol. Substituting with lemon juice doesn't work because the juice has very little of the actual lemon flavor which is mostly in the zest. But while grated zest contains the essential oils, you also end up with other compounds that are very bitter. Typically you're advised to only get the yellow part and not any of the white pith because it's said to be bitter, but in truth the zest is just as bitter as the pith. So adding a high proportion of zest to anything will make it bitter. You can often mitigate this by adding sugar.

The best way to get a strong lemon flavor without sourness or bitterness would be to just use the isolated essential oils with none of the impurities of the zest, i.e. lemon extract in some form.

They do make and sell "lemon juice powder" that is just that, nothing added.

Mmmmmmm!

Why bother with all the complication in this thread at all?

Just add a little lemon extract to some milk. Problem solved. You can get it at any supermarket in the baking section.

Yes, but since it contains the citric acid from the lemon it won't help OP at all, it will still curdle just like OP is complaining about. You need something like that has the lemon flavor but doesn't have the acid.

>easy pour spout

Why is this a box art feature. This should be standard. If your spout is a difficult pour spout, somebody fucked up.

personally I've never encountered such a thing as a bottle that was difficult to pour from. But then again, I'm not a retard.

Extracts used to come in plain glass bottles. If someone were an idiot I suppose that meant that you could accidentally pour in too much? I'm not really sure since I never had a problem with it. But it seems that these days they've changed the packaging and marketing felt like putting that on the box.

>Any ideas?
Yes. Stop being a fucking tool and buy some lemon flavoring from the baking isle.
Get one with propylene glycol (E1520) as the solvent and it won't curdle the milk.

Tell me more about this baking isle

0mg nicotine lemon flavoured vape juice would work well then. Since the "taste" comes from food grade flavourings which are diluted with PG and VG and the glycerin will add a touch of sweetness.

If you're american I assume you'll know it well (because americans are fat)

Yes, and as OP is a faggot he will definitely have a vaporizer.

Americans don't bake

whoosh

I mentioned in the first post, I'm not sure whether the alcohol in lemon extract with be an issue. If not, then fine. I've already got that. But I literally just learned that chilling milk prevent curdling so I'm not exactly versed in how dairy interacts with shit.

Yea I found this out when I powdered zest that was completely free of pith. Still had so much bitter flavor. I'm going to try the morir sonando method since it's quick but I'll also be trying this one I'll see how it all works out.

McCormick adds that spout

Other are just the bottle, which often leads to liquid pouring down the side almost without exception. Maybe it's something about fluid dynamics coming out of a small opening, idk. I think the speed in which you need to pour to prevent the leaking isn't conducive to filling small measurements.

washoku.guide/recipe/576971

why not buy lemon milk, then copy the ingredients, and mess with the ratios until you get what you want

this, why not just buy lemon milk OP?

How do you milk lemons?

>First step is to use leftover whey from making yogurt

Oh yea, I do that all the time.

The whey is interesting, is that some sort of stabilizer that prevents curdling since it also calls for regular milk?

I was last in Japan 2 years ago. I've never seen it anywhere else.

well hate to vreak it to you ..nit there is no lemon juice in the milk and there is very little milk in it either,,,, here are a couple of links for you

supermerlion.com/tochigi-lemon-milk/

travel.cnn.com/tokyo/drink/snack-nation-kanto-tochigi-lemon-989953/

This is another reason I didn't just pay some stupid import price to get some of that.

What I had was mixed right in the restaurant (not directly in front of me, but a few feet away and on the other side of a low counter). So it wasn't just poured from that, it was milk mixed with something else as-ordered.

it's usually lemon flavoring not in any way made out of lemons. you fucked up by being to literal and naive.

No, retard. You extract the whey from some plain yogurt (you can then make a soft cheese like dip or spread with the yogurt curds).

Reading for comprehension...