Can we have an alcoholism thread?

Can we have an alcoholism thread?

Don't give me your binge drinking weekend stories, or times you got blackout. I want proper boozehounds who suffer the dts sometimes, drink in secret during the day, have to drink to sleep. I'm curious how many of you are out there, because I know I'm certainly one.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>alcoholism isn't alcoholism unless it's the absolute worst presentation of alcoholism
I bet you watched American Psycho in high school and went around telling everyone you were a sociopath and post in those /b/ mental illness threads where everyone thinks it's cool to be defective and actively try to outdo each other.

No, I mean people who drink most of the day and are mostly functional, not college kids who "drink a shitton."

>people who drink most of the day
Are you dumb? That's most of al/ck/ threads tho.

I was drinking ghetto blasters, all by myself.

give me one good reason to not buy another bottle of vodka today

>reddit filename
>doesn't name the thread al/ck/
it's time to go back

it's not a tastier version of alcohol

Got a stomach bug 2days ago. Bought a handle of vodka that day. Might not open it. First time I haven't drank everyday for a year.

Fliff, Fliff, not even counting it

Let me ask you guys something. I can understand the temptation to annihilate yourself into oblivion. I get it. But why in god's name would you use something as destructive as alcohol? There are tons of other drugs you can use that won't literally kill you. For the love of god, consider abusing some ketamine or marijuana. Hell, drop some acid if it will help you stop drinking.

agreed

I plan to binge heroin if i make it to 80

I'm 23, been drinking since 18. Bad habit of drinking myself to sleep. Plus, I'm one of those people who just wants to keep drinking once they have the first taste of the night.

While I am not full-blown hardcore by objective standards, I still think that I qualify to post ITT because of this habit's strength. I have had some progress in cutting back by taking days off, but I always come back swinging. Hopefully I can learn moderation because my bilirubin levels are high in my liver, most likely from drinking, and my blood pressure is just above healthy for my age. Hopefully I can stop this shit before it gets really bad. Also waking up with a hangover every day is no way to live and the dissociative qualities really fuck with me. Lots of panic attacks.

Anyway, there's my little blogpost

25 here.

Not sure what your job/socioeconomic status is, but it only gets worse when you have a comfy job with plenty of excess income.

I killed a handle of bombay sapphire over the last few days because no work Friday or today, along with 3 six packs of strong beer.

What's a day in the life of you functioning al/ck/oholics, if you care to share?

>alcoholism
>drinking most of the day instead of the whole day

top kek, get the fuck out homo

>wake up
>go to work
>home by 3PM
>be drunk the rest of the day
>repeat until weekend
>wake up
>be drunk pretty much the whole day
>repeat until Monday

Occasionally will get absolutely trashed on a weekday and just send an email saying I'm "working from home" the following morning.

alcohol is the cheapest drug. i would still be doing heroin if it didnt get so expensive

Blogpost
>mon-fri
>wake up at 4am
>get ready for work
>take my 4 shots
>leave at 6am
>7am-5pm work
>if coworkers are extra loud/annoying/needy/gossipy, drink from my stash as needed to keep my agitation (from anxiety) down.
>get home around 6:30pm
>cook dinner, eat
>"fuck, how's my whisky gone already?"
>go to store and buy a 1.5L of vodka
>half gone before I can get to sleep
>sometimes wake up at 2am instead
>paralyzed, extremely sore all over
>oh, it's the shadow people again
>most of them are "negative tv static" in the walls, but a few human-shaped figures dash around my hallway
>I know you won't kill me, but please do
>extreme panic is registered to me as a mild sense of foreboding
>one of them, who I'm pretty sure is death, floats up to me, his giant hooked finger makes my body colder the closer it gets
>just before he kills me, I can move and they all disappear
>1 minute until my alarm goes off
>weekend
>about a litre of vodka a day, get my whisky and food for the week, partially pay off as many bills as I can
>"hey, having a party, wanna come?"
>don't reply
The people did a 6 month long full psych eval test including MRI, Stanford-Binet test, board "interview" (ask a vague question, give an extremely detailed answer), 500 question booklet "from strongly agree to strongly disagree, fill in the most accurate bubble", Rorschach, "give these people's faces a life story", etc. and determined I had a mild form of paranoid schizophrenia, pretty strong OCPD, and something elsr I can't remember off the top of my head, but since I refused to take treatment and they decided I wasn't a threat to anyone, I can't be diagnosed.
/blogpost

Scariest Thing I ever Read on The Chan

Fuck me, /x/ seems like Kindergarten shit now

>up by 4
>down a couple beers
>breakfast, generally couple eggs, toast, piece of fruit
>pack lunch, generally leftovers, stash a couple beers on cooler
>work by 5
>open cafe, down 2-3 more beers before opening batista comes in at 6
>manage morning rush, step off floor by 9 once prep staff and FOH
>bs paperwork, cogs, etc for a fee hours
>grab a beer about noon at bar across the street
>off by 1, kill some beers at home
>nap around 4 til 6
>make dinner
>drink more
>bed my 10 or so

Rinse repeat Monday thru Friday

Your night hallucinations are sleep paralysis. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

You went to the doctor about that but you didn't address your alcoholism? I bet if you treat the /alck/ your sleep problems will go away.

The insomnia has started now. After 9 years I don't know why I actually attempt quitting at all but I feel pretty good currently.

seconding this. shadow people and feelings of dread or terror are pretty common in sleep paralysis.

I told them that I used alcohol to treat my anxiety because having me on 17 grams total of medications a day didn't help anything as a teen. They said I should go to AA because I drink more than 2 shots of liquor a week, that my schizophrenia is partially caused by my alcoholism, and my other two disorders are treatable through a series of medications. I told them then that I wouldn't accept their treatment because they ignored my previous medical records. They tried to get me to sign a 5150, but I walked out.

>They said I should go to AA because I drink more than 2 shots of liquor a week
what

It was something stupid where if you drink a certain number of servings of alcohol a week, you are automatically an alcoholic and need AA. I am dependant, but the point is that they said I couldn't use it anymore and had to pay manyfold more for an alternate method of not getting anxiety that I know doesn't work.

I wish doctors cared about helping people instead of pushing pills for a bigger check

i down like 2 bottles of wine in a good week

2 and 1 of whiskey in a bad one

they would yell at me real bad i guess

>It was something stupid where if you drink a certain number of servings of alcohol a week, you are automatically an alcoholic and need AA

Yeah, we get that. But where the fuck did the TWO SHOTS number come from?

Generally it's more like if you drink more than 12-15 "drinks" (i.e. beers, glasses of wine, or shots of liquor) then you're at risk. Not a measly TWO.

>on year three of blacking out every night
>wake up 7am
>open restaurant at 9
>manage kitchen until 4-5pm
>go buy food because ive been cooking all day
>Buy my 1.75L whiskey if its Tues/Thursday/Sat
>Go home and binge with my food
>Make myself throw up
>Smoke a cigarette
>go to bed
>wake up next day hoping i didn't text anyone
>liver hurts
>feel brain deteriorating

Just waiting to die

comfy!

See an alcoholic would be drinking...

Being that you even know the frequency and the small amount consumed, you're not an alcoholic.

Not being able to stop drinking or control/limit yourself makes you dependant, therefore an alcoholic.

I get sick before i get anywhere close to being as drunk as i want

Liter of vodka a day here. 27 years old.

What's your life look like?

I do two to three litres of beer a night. Basically as much as I can afford. Would drink more but I hate hangovers.

I have a feeling he was exaggerating for effect

Today is one of my extremely rare breaks. I feel so fucking bad. My shakes finally leveled off. I'm trying to talk myself into drinking 2-3 beers to lower the withdrawal symptoms but I usually just go cold turkey. I hope I die this time.

muuhhAAAAAAAAAaaaaaahhhh the frensh-shampagne

seizures taste better than a few withdrawl beers.

I stopped drinking but I genuinely don't get how people can just have 1 or 2 drinks. In the past I would stop for a few days and have "just a beer or two" but I'd be right back to literally not being able to sleep until I was completely smashed

cold turkey is actually far more dangerous than weaning yourself off it over a few days

Taper dude, seriously don't turkey it. Turkeying after prolonged heavy drinking is extremely hard on your system and dangerous. Level yourself off with a few beers.

Same. My body treats anything less than 6 beers as a stimulant.

When I was in college my body treated like a half a bottle of whiskey as a stimulant. Can't do that shit anymore, the hangover anxiety became debilitating.

I tried this once, not my favorite but I got to say "ghetto blaster" a bunch of times which was fun for me

is alcoholism a sport?

Learn to use the catalog.

My new years resolution is to stop

I weighed myself on new years morning- 257
My piss was apple juice colored so I have been pounding water non stop since then. My piss is still deep orange but I now weigh 265. A pint weighs a pound so that's a gallon of water added and still I'm dehydrated

idk I thought it was pretty interesting how dehydrated you can get on this stuff

2 days sober.

I have a 3 day weekend coming up. Gonna be a test for me to continue my sobriety come Friday.

We didn't plan on annihilation when we started.
It was more about feeling great or building up the courage to talk to this girl at a bar.
Also, it's legal and convenient to buy.

People in my life know now. Ive been to detox twice so my employers/coworkers know.

I walked out of detox after a night and went to the liquor store. The only thing that would calm down my stomach was a bottle of vodka.

That was october.. ive had 6 days sober since then..

Binge drinking is worse for your brain than habitual faggot. Their are people who give themselves more brain damage binging for 6 years than some 20 year "boozehound".

How about if you habitually binge?

>Parents died when I was 5,
>set up a trust fund that pays me 2.5 grand a month,
>When I'm 40 i'll get whatever's left, calculated to be about 3 million by then.

24 right now, no job or any real friends
Usually my day is like this.
>Wake up (hopefully without tremors) at 2-3 pm
>Drink couple of swigs from my nightstand bottle
>Try to brush teeth without throwing up once the shakes are gone
>Bleed everywhere, gums and teeth hurt every day, brushing is hell
>Get some fast food from one of the places close to me or grab leftovers from floor
>ALWAYS have a beer before I leave,
>Force myself to eat 1 small menu item, and drink some water
>Browse message boards, play video games and watch movies
>try not to drink till it's 7-8, usually fail
>Drink atleast 1 bottle of scotch, start a second one
>order food that I will try to take a couple of bites of.
>Try not to finish second one, or will either throw up, or fight the feeling all night
>pass out in bed/couch

Given every opportunity financially to succeed. But slowly killing myself

What a loser, you need to mix liquors to get drunk enough if you drink this much every day. l2alcoholic

I don't envy your position but you should use that money of yours to go to a first rate rehab or you will die before you reach 40

what the fuck is wrong with you idiots. go live in the fucking mountains or something you retards

>lol just smoke le weed bro
You need to be 18 to post here

desu one or two beers just makes you feel like shit and when it goes to 10+ i'm pretty much unable to stop then again who the would stop at that point because you again just start feeling worse

It's seven in the morning here, I'm drinking so I can take my fiance to work and not be twitchy. Shit I'm literally a safer driver when I drink. I tend no to overreact to any of this crazy driver shit that goes on around here.

You do realize youre in a binge drinking thread, right?

I would consider myself a functioning alcoholic. I get the shakes when I don't drink. Here's the real kicker though: I work at a craft brewery. So most days, I start out drinking in the morning, drink all day at work, drink at work once my shift is over, and then drink once I get home just so I can fall asleep. It's getting pretty bad.

Taper. Land the plane gently instead of dive bombing into the ground.

Jesus Christ...

Gotta taper down for the sake of that sweet job. Treat it like a diet. Do a couple normal days and log your schedule. Then start replacing times when you'd normally drink with water or something else low calorie, you know what I mean?

You can't just stop cold turkey if you want to keep that good job, but you can't keep sliding down either. Gotta find since equilibrium.

How do you guys deal with all of the extra caloric intake? Are you all fat? I was drinking 8-12 beers a night every night for about a year and I've gained 25 pounds. I can't stand having this gut, so I've managed to taper down to 2-3 beers a night now. Hopefully it'll be down to 2-3 beers a week at some point.

Not eating

I honestly believe at least a couple of you could have gotten off the sauce by now if it weren't for these garbage "al/ck/" threads romanticizing your dependency.

>drinking beer
I will never understand beer al/ck/s. How do you even get drink? Just drink straight liquor, or liquor cut with water.

Also this

I'm mostly off. I went from drink errday, to only on weekends, to about once or twice a month. And you know what I get when I drink those one or two times?

>OMG user YOU'RE SUCH AN ALCOHOLIC, I'M POURING THIS OUT

I'm starting to think some people enjoy demonizing alcohol because they're miserable cunts who want something to lord over you.

I don't see how you could consider the horror revealed in most of these posts to be "romantic." I think these threads have the opposite effect and cause some to reevaluate and change their relationship to alcohol before it's too late.

>I will never understand beer al/ck/s. How do you even get drink?
If you're drinking higher ABV beers, its not that tough. 12 x 12 oz 8% beers = about as much alcohol as a fifth of 80 proof liquor. You just end up spending more time running to the bathroom.

fucking this.
I been living like this for 8 years now.
I stoped 4 days ago.gave up smoking too.
locked myself in a room for 4 days now ,first 2 days was hell ,now at least the cigs craving stoped a bit.
i will fucking escape this hell,no more excuses.

Beer is loaded with calories because of all the sugars, a shot of vodka has 40 iirc

Beer and wine certainly have a lot more calories per ounce, but an ounce of 40 proof vodka has more like 60+ calories, which can add up pretty quick if you're drinking heavily. I prefer beer because I pace myself better. The times I end up going overboard and not being able to function the next day are always the result of cracking open a bottle of liquor. I realize that is mostly because I don't drink liquor that often and don't know my limits as well.

I'm 5'11'' 160 lbs. I'm basically skinny fat with kind of a gut and I never work out. You would probably think I'm skinny until I took my shirt off. The thing is I never over eat and don't have a big appetite to begin with. As soon as I'm full I stop.

Status report: trying to taper down on beers and it's going slowly. This is my 9th year, and while I used to drink a shit ton of liquor every day, I've been more of a bottle of wine or 4-5 beers a night kind of a person last year. It's proven difficult for me to stop altogether.

I'm sober and these threads remind me the horror I went through. They help me stay sober.
Where the fuck do you see romance here?

I almost never come here when I'm drinking that night. It's always when I'm trying to stay sober and these usually help.

I still drink lots but I found I drank the most was when I worked in kitchens. Not a good paying job, shitty hours and some of the cooks can be the worst kind of people. When I worked my schedule was like yours except I worked from 6pm to 2am-3am and I don't smoke.

Now I just drink beer because I'm wanting to taper off.

Surprised there isn't more line cooks posting on this thread because they're known for abusing cigs, alcohol and other substances.

>Surprised there isn't more line cooks posting on this thread because they're known for abusing cigs, alcohol and other substances.
they're probably working or drinking at home and trying not to think about how much they drink/work desu

The only thing i hate about drinking is it made me fat

When I worked in food I was usually coasting on a good buzz/doing coke in the bathroom. When off work I'd go to bars and afterparties with coworkers nightly because nobody had to work until the next evening. Was fun at the time, but don't think I'd want to back in that rhythm.

I drink beer because if i drink liquor i lose control and bad shit always ends up happening

i have to drink to fall asleep. but that's really the only time i drink and it's just a 4 pack of 16 ouncers usually. i don't really feel like an alcoholic since i don't day drink, drink at work (except occasionally when my coworkers offer. literally once a month and only a tall boy of budweiser).

i think that the term "functioning alcholic" would be what they'd call me, but i honestly only see that as moving the goal posts. i drink to fall asleep because my brain is like a thousand locomotives carrying a thousand different ideas going a thousand miles an hour, all heading towards a giant garbage disposal.

This. Never had an embarrassing black out moment slamming brews, liquor is a whole other story.

I used to be like that.
Im 20 days sober.
I just woke up one day and just stopped.
I feel good.

Austin?

I find that I can go to work the next day if I drink allot of water and take a small amount of diazepam..

I don't feel great but at least I can function.

I drink like 12 beers and some shots after work.....sleep....get up....take diazepam, shower then eat and go to work. It stops my hands shaking and my heart palpitating.

How do you cunts drink so much?

a) alcohol is expensive
b) you can't drive, work, or function normally when drunk
c) after a certain amount of booze, alcohol starts to taste really disgusting
d) alcohol makes you sleepy

Compounding all of these factors, how do you dumb cunts drink so much, and how can it possibly be enjoyable. If you're taking alcohol to the point you drink a 12 pack of beer, or pints of vodka a night, you're a pure masochist, and I don't see how you can keep it up financially.

I can drink half a pint of vodka right from the bottle, and then I'm off to sleep. Anymore than that, and I'd have to actively be trying to destroy my liver and other organs.

>alcohol is expensive
not in america

> your parents hide booze from you

is it bad i envy your life?

2.5 grand a month to just chill and shitpost
I could be happy with that.

Sorry about your parents tho

>a) alcohol is expensive
not really: a week's worth (for an alky) of low-tier bourbon is about $100 USD, or $5,200 a year
>b) you can't drive, work, or function normally when drunk
setting aside that normality is informed by precedent, yes you can. there is a sub-class of alcoholics called "functioning alcoholics" and i was one. if you have a job, you can afford to drink.
>c) after a certain amount of booze, alcohol starts to taste really disgusting
subjective, and only for the weak
>d) alcohol makes you sleepy
not if you drink enough. also, coffee and ADHD medication.

>not really: a week's worth (for an alky) of low-tier bourbon is about $100 USD, or $5,200 a year

shit it is barely half that if you stick to malt liquor or bottom shelf shit like skoal. $12/handle of 80 proof last time I checked but that was when i bought it in high school in like 2006.

i preferred bourbon and tried to avoid the plastic jugs, so the lowest-tier glass one was shit like ezra brooks, evan williams, etc.

of course, you can drink rotgut but it's about risk vs. return.

>$20 = one handle of low-tier, glass jug bourbon
>5 handles a week (though it was often 6 or 7)

interestingly enough, the top 10% of alcohol drinkers in america drink 90% of the alcohol.

fuck dude.

I used to kill a 5th a night while working 12s 6 days a week, and I thought I was bad.

I eventually slowed, switched to beer, and only have a sixer on the weekends now (for the most part). Thing is it still takes half a bottle of whiskey for me to catch a buzz, and last time I checked I can kill a 5th in 2 hours pretty casually. It is like my tolerance just never went away or maybe its a mental thing idk. That's all another story though.

I'm saying you won't make it to 40 at this rate. I'm 24 as well and did that for 3 years and slowed down to the sixer/week over the last 2 years (small town I could buy booze when I was 18). Try to fucking cut back holy fuck. You will feel 100x better. Your liver is prolly the size of a goddamned football.

yeah im this guy
I spent around 11k on booze in 2012 by my estimating. I would drink jack sometimes, but also got into scotch and good bourbon around then. I could have bought a fucking car.

I don't drink at all and I feel okay without any alcohol in my life. Try to get rid of your brain virus

From another thread but relevant to my interests

>How do you deal with the crippling boredom, loneliness and depression that comes with sobriety? Only 3 days sober and already tempted to get drunk in an hour.

don't listen to faggots who will say shit like "read, exercise, lift weights" or anything similar, because motivation for those activities will be hard to come by.

the best piece of advice i can give you is to find a close friend and lean on them. barring that, you may find comfort in AA, but i found them to be a bunch of illiterate, smelly homeless people; nothing against them, i was homeless once, but they won't be the kind of support you'll need.

if neither option is available/attractive, you'll have to sit it out. no two ways around it, you will be in hell for a good week or two. the best thing to do is not demand too much of yourself, so if you can be distracted by shitposting or vidya, go ahead.

i was a pretty heavy alky who *only* drank out of boredom, and i only overcame the ennui because i have a good woman who loves me. i'm sure many would caution against it, but the occasional joint or uppers do wonders for abstinence.

if none of the above work, this is the last, most dangerous method you can try: fast on water for three days and then force yourself to finish a fifth.