Linux vs. Windows machines

What do you primarily use for your crypto activities?

I was on Windows until I somehow got a keylogger or file crawler that swiped my plaintext ETH wallet's private key. Yes, I'm retarded. Anyway I tried going back to my old Arch linux build to prevent that from ever happening again, but now I'm once again faced with the old problem of I Fucking Hate Linux.

Are there any surefire methods for secure private key management (and use), on a Windows setup? i.e. not involving ever displaying the bare key on screen, or having to enter it.

Attached: cryptostalker-a-tool-to-detect-crypto-ransomware-on-linux-502002-2.png (800x400, 21K)

get a fucking ledger nano you absolute mong

this and use it on a chromebook that you keep up to date and use for nothing else (e.g. no crouton and developer mode shit)

I have one, but only use it as a cold wallet. I want a better variety of hot(ter) wallets that are easy and quick to use, but, in the extreme edge-case, black-swan-event that its key does get compromised, I won't lose sleep over it. Like losing a regular physical wallet full of cash, but not your entire bank account.

If you fucking hate linux, maybe you shouldn't have gotten yourself into a hobbyist distro.

I used to hate linux because I only tried lubuntu and a few others, but then found Lubuntu, which I turned into something resembling a good-looking windows xp with full pc functionality.

I can even play -most- games, too. The one thing I can't do is learn blender as my 3d design package so I'm back to drawing shit on paper like a caveman. I mean, I could learn blender but I suffer from a very serious case of "I fucking hate blender" so drawing with a bic it is.

Other than that I'm loving GIMP for meme editing and there's plenty of line-drawing applications in the ubuntu software center as well.

All in all it's my favourite OS ever, I even drew a custom start button on gimp and use it across all installs on a laptop and a dekstop. It also gets easier with time.

fuck I meant to write "ubuntu" at the start. Ubuntu's interface sucks, lubuntu is simpler and just all around better.

Attached: newtoned.jpg (216x303, 77K)

Well I mean I *am* kind of a hobbyist though, I'd rather have more choice of customization, even if it means a more bloated/cluttered UI structure and if it doesn't "Just Werk" as often.

But idk it just seems impossible to strike a balance for me - Arch (actually using Manjaro) is great for the most part but its greatest strength, that is, the level of detail you can tweak everything, is also its greatest weakness as sometimes it's just too much damn effort to fix some simple thing like a sound driver refusing to work. Especially when you reinstall and remember having the same problem before, but not how you fixed it. On the other hand, shit like *ubuntu is just too normie-tier for me. Honestly worse than using winblows at that point.

I think the source of a lot of my problems is using KDE...as far as I can tell it's pretty much the only DE with its unmatched level of polish and tweakability. So almost feel like I don't have a choice. But again, goddamn it I can't go 5 minutes in it without encountering some near-essential missing feature that bothers the heck out of me so much that it's to the point where I can't ignore my brain telling me, if you went back to windows you wouldn't even notice shit like this.

Attached: 1508277378908.jpg (648x595, 77K)

Use your hardware wallet as your hot wallet for Christs sake.

I'm running arch on my laptop and centos on my desktop. They're both fine for my purposes i guess, i'm not mining or anything.

>I think the source of a lot of my problems is using KDE...as far as I can tell it's pretty much the only DE with its unmatched level of polish and tweakability. So almost feel like I don't have a choice. But again, goddamn it I can't go 5 minutes in it without encountering some near-essential missing feature that bothers the heck out of me so much that it's to the point where I can't ignore my brain telling me, if you went back to windows you wouldn't even notice shit like this.

Have you tried using different window managers? I use i3 and find it to be pretty great.

Trezor + fedora with only free as in freedumz software installed mustard race reporting in.

>buying coffee
>sure, you can pay with bitcoin

>pull out entire chromebook
>connect to wifi
>connect ledger wallet via USB cable
>open chrome app, enter pin, send funds
or
>pull out entire chromebook
>connect to wifi
>con- oh shit, I forgot a microUSB cable.
>an hero on spot
or
>pull out smartphone
>pull out ledger wallet
>fish in bag for a microUSB cable
>fish in bag for a microUSB to USB adapter dongle
>commence constructing Rube Goldberg rat's nest of cable buttfuckery
>godawful ledger wallet app bugs out

It's the least worst option but we still have a ways to go for hardware wallets, at least as far as using them without having to spend all day making it actually work. Same reason I take issue with loonix

Or maybe have a hot wallet on your phone with just a few hundred dollars?

Idk much about window managers, is it practical or even possible to use something like i3 with KDE?

And I'm talking about little stuff like logging in with a 4-digit PIN like in windows. Pigs will fly before that kind of stuff gets implemented in KDE.

>is it practical or even possible to use something like i3 with KDE?

Yeah it is. Check out i3 or other tiling window managers, they change the way you use your computer quite significantly, for the better I think.

That's sorta what I'm asking, what apps are the best for that? I see a million pajeet-tier apps with questionable security and private key obfuscation, but I haven't heard of a default crowd favorite, like Blockfolio has achieved for itself. Also wondering if there's like an official list or tiers of methods for obscuring private keys. For example metamask/electrum using seed words seems like a step up from using a straight up hex string private key and having to rely on that whenever you wanna send shit.

Give Lubuntu a shot, it might surprise you. LXDE isn't the most polished, but it is plenty configureable

Only negative is that it doesn't have type-to-find Start menu capabities out of the box (but you can add an app finder on the taskbar shortcuts)

Macbook Pro

Manjaro - Arch without spending half your life trying to set it up ...

Can a file logger crawler whatever get my private key if its in a plaintext file but inside an encrypted .rar file?

Nope. That's the whole point of encryption. That's useless if you actually want to look at the private key on that computer though, since as soon as you open it and it's displayed on screen, if you had a key crawler on your machine it would ostensibly detect that, parse it, send it over to the hacker and sweep your wallet before you could blink.

And yet I still have almost as many problems with it :')