Salsa

Here in Houston there are amazing TexMex places everywhere.

Each one I've been to has had different but great salsa, better than any I've ever been able to make.

What's the secret? The closest I've gotten is simmering the salsa for a bit and then chilling it. But it still isn't close to the same.

My recipe is usually
>Tomato (a mix of canned and fresh blended)
>cilantro
>white onion
>Serrano
>fresh garlic
>lime
>salt and pepper
>simmered for at least 30 minutes and then chilled

What should I try?

Thai chilis and jalapenos

Try a raw salsa
>Good quality tomatos
>corriander
>lime juice
>raw onion
>chili of some kind, depending on availability, chipotle in adobo is good

>dump on stuff for tastyness

This is as an australian with shit access to mexican stuff.

>This is as an australian
I appreciate the effort but you've probably never seen a spic in the flesh in your life. I did you a favor and stopped reading there to save you some embarrassment.

We have a small mexican community near where I live in Melbourne.

I understand your condescension as a food snob. But I do alright. Found a place that has a variety of chilis dried. Anchos, mojitos and some other stuff.

I actually wish I was a dirty american sometimes. But then I see the overall quality of the food supply....

>But then I see the overall quality of the food supply....

How are those rations from the emu wars treating you?

Hows the meat supply over there.

Honestly, I wouldn't ever eat american beef, let alone pork.

Face it, the food supply is the only issue for america. Otherwise, given the quality of the recipes, you would have the best food in the world

M S G

Try roasting the tomatoes and peppers before blending with the other ingredients. Even better, blister them under a hot grill or directly on the stove.

There is no way the restaurants are going through that much effort for something they give out gallons of for free.

Putting tomatoes in an oven isn't really that much effort, friend.

I imagine Australia has actually pretty good climate to grow various peppers.

While I like roasted salsa, it's certainly not the norm for mexican or tex-mex restaurants. The flavor is very different. I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not what's typically served at tex-mex places.

This.

It takes about five seconds to pour a tub of tomatoes out onto a tray and pop them under a grill, then a couple of minutes of other prep, out come the tomatoes, in goes anything else. Effort is near zero.

What would draw Mexicans to Australia, of all places? Tell me more about this Mexican community.

The amount of tomatoes you would need for that much salsa would require all of your ovens to be in use nonstop cooking tomatoes

They lost a war to emus, do you really think they could win against the turks of the new world?

Texasfag here. I happen to have a salsa recipe from a family friend who owns & runs a Tex-mex place. This is sized to make about 4 cups / 1 liter.

1 large (28 oz) can "red gold" whole peeled tomatoes
2-3 jalapeno peppers, from a can, plus a splash of the liquid from the can
4-5 dried Arbol chilies (or more if you like it hot)
3-4 cloves fresh garlic
a handful of cilantro
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1/2 a white onion

Directions:
Drain the canned tomatoes and reserve the liquid you drained off.

Put the onion, salt, garlic, Arbols, Jalapenos, Japaneno juice and the cumin in the blender. Puree it. If you find that the mixture is too thick to puree then add a splash of the reserved tomato canning liquid. Add the cilantro and the tomatoes. Pulse the blender until you get the texture you want--if you want it chunky then just pulse it briefly. Let it run longer if you want it less chunky.

Let sit in the fridge for at least a few hours so the flavors can meld.

If you want it hotter then increase the amount of jalapeno & arbol chilies you use.

this. have any of you actually eaten tex-mex? It's obvious the tomatoes and peppers aren't roasted. the salsa they serve doesn't have a roasted taste.

>texmex
>amazing

Pick one.

>have any of you actually eaten tex-mex

No because the only people responding at this hour are Europoors and Abos.

We should do, there is pretty much every climate needed here. But we are backwards apes in the areas useful for growing shit (I refer to the queenslandniggers)

No fucking idea. We are talking small numbers, enough to start a relatively good resteraunt and a fairly busy delicatessan that stocks shit tons of stuff.

They charge a shit ton for corn tortillas for the plebs who don't make their own though

> lost a war to the south

>lost a war to the south

??????

Poor old lincoln died and then niggers got kept down, leading to american now

Winning would have meant niggers getting sent away.

Not a big deal really, the white race is doomed. The new white male east asian female hapa master race is under way and will bounce back stronger than ever

>t. a history major for sure

I'm doing my bit for that.

Ironically yes, quite drunk (and unemployed :) )

OP, just moved to Texas a year ago. No regrets. From my virgin taste buds it is what kind of pepper you use that makes the difference. My favorite stuff uses pequin and morita chile pepper. But it is up to taste.

>1 large (28 oz) can "red gold" whole peeled tomatoes

This whole recipe is solid and a perfect example of how food places make salsa, but this ingredient especially is key. It allows you to make it in bulk cheaply yet not feel like paste.

I got a good laugh out of all the people who think the complimentary salsa is grilled. That would make it such a pain to make in the needed qualities.

Imports are great in the U.S. but you're right, if we went full ethnocentric we'd be pretty fucked. I could still eat alligator, wild boar and duck all day though.

I've done it at a high end place.

The better question is why are things like salsa and other condiments expected to be free by the public? Vegetables, seasoning and fat cost money as does labor. Personally I blame the McChicken, the best fast food sandwich.

>I've done it at a high end place.

Would that still be Tex-Mex then? Sounds like it would be more standard Mexican which has the possibility of being more labor intensive (i.e. high end). I'm not saying that Mexican food is by default high end (what a laugh) but I remember it has the potential.

My salsa recipe:
>makes
>all
>the
>pretty girls
>want
>to
>dance

For additional spice:
>and
>take off
>their underpants

So you stopped reading right at the end?

I stopped when I saw he was an australian. Was it the end? I don't know, as I hid the post after that.

Si

>What's the secret?

Using tomatillo's and dried chilli peppers.

Keep your recipe as is, but replace half the tomato with tomatillo so you have a 50/50 ratio by weight.

Add 4-5 dried chili Cascabel/Guajillo peppers to your recipe to go along with the serranos , and preferably some smoked peppers for flavor. To prep the dried peppers, stem them, cut them open and remove the seeds, and either soak them until soft, or boil them.

Process: core the tomato and tomatilla, and de-seed your chili's. Toss them all in a pot with water, and boil until the chili's soften up. Then toss into a food processor with the rest of your ingredients and blend until desired consistency and season to taste.

Add chopped onion after you blend it, but most salsa's don't have onion.

>We have a small mexican community near where I live in Melbourne.

G'damn those niggers are getting better at swimming every year...

This is most definitely not what they are giving out for free at places like OP is talking about

Guess I should mention, the salsas at these places are always an extremely deep red. Something I can never get at home

A tiny bit of sugar helps balance out the acidity of the tomato and lime. I like jalapeƱos because it's a fruity tasting pepper but I do like the heat of serranos.

I got your reference, user.

mortar + pestle

>A tiny bit of sugar
It's an appetizer AND a dessert!

>tastes like bitch nigga titties