Can we have a curry thread?

Can we have a curry thread?

I personally have never made one before, but I've just bought a vindaloo and a korma powdered spice blend online. How do i use them?

Is it literally just put powder in with can of tomatoes? Doesn't seem very authentic.

Any better recipes than curry flavour tomatoes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wsnzYcjBabg
syvum.com/recipes/inc/
youtube.com/watch?v=rb2WQMxHLbk
youtube.com/watch?v=oJZUxU9szWA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I made sort of a generic chicken curry awhile back, and it turned out really well.

I don't have or remember the recipe specifically, but one of the things that really brought it together was onion, finely chopped and simmered along with the tomatoes. I also used a wide variety of spices, which I'm sure helped. It was great over some basmati rice.

Curry powder is rank. Start out using jars of sauce or paste to get a feel for it, work your way up to using fresh ingredients.
Also, whole chicken legs in curry are severely underrated, especially if you cook it long and slow enough that the meat starts coming away from the bones.

Lol don't listen to this idiot, spice blends are great if you get some decent ones from a proper curry spice place online and not some generic shit in a shop.

I will post a recipe in a couple hours, I'm just having a shit break at the mo. My trick is to separate the tomatoes from the juice, and reduce the juice in a separate pot to about half.
I fry the spices for a minute in the already softened onion and add the tomatoes (sans juice) and break them down for a while. This makes a sort of curry paste. You can either at the meat or the reduced salted tomato juice at this stage depending how you like to make your curry. I know you don't know how to make one but I'll tell you how i make one of this thread is still here.

bump

Cool, looking forward to it

You're right but I don't think the condemnation of spice blends is a bad thing, the majority are shit. If you spend enough time making curries you'll eventually find the good ones.

To add to your suggestion about a curry base I'd say ginger and garlic sweated with the onions are a good idea. Tomato can be omitted in some meat only curries.

Frying the spices in oil is the first step
Then add onions

Then make a curry

How to make a curry:

1) Aromatize spices

2) Make a curry

Some tricks I've learned from looking at a lot of Indian recipe sites:

>after onions have softened, add spices + aromatics and cook for a couple minutes
>cook chopped tomato with onions for few minutes
>puree this mixture for a nice gravy
>add some cream or coconut milk or yogurt to the gravy
>if you want really authentic, mix in some cashew paste/butter and fenugreek leaves

> not frying the spices on their own first

Not curry

m'curry

Tell that to the Indians who write the curry recipes

I love that my memes from years ago still gets saved and posted here.

M'bhaji

Confirmed for reading recipes written by people pretending to be indians.
Did they say to put heinz ketchup in the recipe too?

I bet they even use toilet paper

I have never eaten curry

Use LOTS of oil when frying the onions and spices. You can spoon it off at the end, but it makes such a difference. If you try frying in a tablespoon of oil it won't work.

Oil and ghee or just ghee?

They wouldn't even know what curry was

even if it slapped

Answer me cunt

HOW CAN SHE SLAP!?

youtube.com/watch?v=wsnzYcjBabg

I learned to cook curry from that video, and use that as my generic curry recipe. I do a variation out of convenience - extra virgin olive oil, don't bother with the mustard seeds, no whole shrimp.

The most important thing is to use a metal bottom pot and a wooden spatula or spoon. Once you get to the step where he's cooking it all down and waiting for the oil to rise to the surface, scrape those carmalized bits off the bottom and mix them back into the curry. It comes out with this natural carmalized sweetness if you do it right. For me this ends up being a 6-8 hour ordeal for a huge batch, but then I puree it all and freeze it - have amazing curry for weeks.

Fek - forgot to mention that I use canned coconut milk instead of grated coconut to get a creamier texture.

You fry the spices first if they're whole spices for about 20 secs then add the onion.

If powdered you add them after the onions have softened.

No
You fry them first no matter what, powdered or whole

Oh yeah, forgot i was on ck, home of the retards. You have no idea what you're on about

Sorry m8 but he's right, the first 2 things in your pan should be oil and spices every single time no matter what. For what it's worth I live in Fremont, CA which is little India.

Unless you're a troll, you're the retard.

Unless you're getting your curry recipes from Rachel Ray I don't know how you wouldn't know this.

Personally I just mix stuff this with a bit of Coconut milk. It does the job.
Add a little bit of Chilly P to give it that kick.
I would do onions but I'm too lazy

So...
Milk, Cream, Yogurt, Coconut milk, Tomato, Water.

Which do I use Veeky Forums?

>So...
>Milk, Cream, Yogurt, Coconut milk, Tomato, Water.
>
>Which do I use Veeky Forums?

Cream and tomato

Wow, you are a shit "cook"

syvum.com/recipes/inc/ You're welcome. Generic madras is on deck tonight

That's not cooking, rather than just heating up. You sad lazy cunt.

:(

Not that user, but I get a lot of recipes from Indian sites and plenty of recipes have you add spices after cooking the onion (or sometimes tomato).

here's my recipe

>buy S&B curry
>follow instructions on box
>wa la

It makes no difference. The aromatic and flavor compounds will be extracted into the oil regardless. I am sure there is a "right" or "wrong" way, but as long as there is a suitable solvent (in this case oil or fat) the same result will be achieved.

Generic madras

Cream cheese, yogurt and water

Check this out, pretty good recipe:

youtube.com/watch?v=rb2WQMxHLbk

Get some portion control you fat fuck

Both methods are as authentic as each other you retards

Most recipes say to fry the paste for like 5 minutes and it always burns. Do I need to use a fucking cup of oil or something?

Lower the heat. Keep stirring it constantly.

>the first 2 things in your pan should be oil and spices every single time no matter what.

oh look, a guy who doesn't realise that indian food is hugely varied and regional, how unusual

Tomato ketchup is widely used along with yoghurt and mint sauce to make a sauce to accompany pakoras.

Don't be silly
1.3 billion people eat exactly the same way

10/10

I have a cheap coffee grinder specifically for (and labelled) grinding up dry curry spices.

I toast them whole in the vessel I'll be cooking in - generally cumin, coriander, clove, cinnamon, dried chili, mustard, fenugreek and black pepper, but whatever goes goes, you knows?

I pop them into the (metal) grinder and let them cool down a bit while I get the base meat and veg going.

If I'm making a dark curry, I oil the pan and lightly caramelize some sugar in it... lightly because there are still things to cook, and it will continue to darken.

From there, it gets a bit Hungarian:

If there's meat, that goes into the hot, oiled (and possibly caramel filled) pan first to brown, then the base veggies (onion, potato, hot pepper, maybe some carrot and mustard stalk), if I'm adding bay and garlic, they go in now too.

Once I'm happy with the browning/sauteeing of everything, I add my ground spices, enough water to cover everything, scrape the bottom of the pan, and let it reduce back to a paste, then I add my sauce base - tomato paste, mashed spinach, coconut, carrot or pumpkin puree, whatever. If it needs water to cook for half an hour or so, I add it.

About 5-10 mins before it's done, I'll add any finishing touches like cream, ghee, anise root, more chilies, salt, pepper, that kind of thing.

Can smell him from here

Nice, thanks

Get some portion control you fat fuck.
People wonder why they're fat. They eat three meals worth in one sitting

that does look like an enormous portion, but you're still a cunt

Do normies think this is cooking?
Do they think because they heat something in a pot rather than microwave or oven it's homemade?
I know pretty much everyone i know say the make a great curry or a great Bolognase, but they literally un ironically use a jar.

I'd say he'll mop up the rest of that sauce with half a loaf of bread and consider it all one meal.

do you really look at her and think 'normie'

she's a fucking nutter grandmum with a cruel spawn exposing her to public ridicule

Everybody post yer fave Indian YouTube channels.

Here's mine, based Sikh Singh

youtube.com/watch?v=oJZUxU9szWA

Not sure where you live, but she looks like a typical Brit/Irish auntie.
But i was asking in general, i kinda figure that channel is a troll or humour, or as you said her being exposed by that fat guy.

well it's gonna depend where you live and your class. i grew up in middle class london and everyone knew pretty well how to cook, then i moved up north for a few years and it was pretty shocking - though it was when i was a student so everyone was fumbling in the dark at that stage in their lives.

there are just some really simple procedural bits of knowledge that should be learned within the first few months of you cooking for yourself, or you're a shitmuncher. things like controlling browning, controlling seasoning and acidity, making a concerted effort not to overcook things, only adding fresh herbs at the end, controlling the size of your pieces of food so they cook evenly or in order, etc. it's so intuitive and normies can learn it. if you can't, you either barely ever cook for yourself or you're a fucking retard.

People keep saying how chicken tikka masala is a Brit recipe when it's simply a murgh makhani or butter chicken. Whereas a chicken Madras or balti are much more British in as much as they don't have very obvious Indian analog. And a jhalfrezi, though made by Indian clocks in India, was made for the British. Even vindaloo is more popular in the UK than anywhere in India outside Goa.

Dal makhani is the single most underrated Indian dish.

I like the guy you posted for north Indian and vahchef for south Indian.

loss?

Got this recipe online, and it's pretty similar to a lot of curry vids I've seen.

Ingredients:
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp ghee (or whatever oils/fats you have on hand)
UNSALTED chicken stock (or water) as needed.
2-3 chicken thighs (or whatever protein you want)
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped tomato
1 inch ginger
3-4 cloves minced garlic
chili peppers to taste

(dry spice powder)- Only half of it will be used in this recipe for curry paste. You can store the rest in an air tight container for later.
2-3 bay leaves
1 1/4 tsp of powder
3 tsp of black pepper
1 tsp of cardamon
1 tbs cinnamon
2 tbs cumin
2 tbsp coriander powder
2 tsp anise
(set these 2 aside)
1 tsp turmeric
Salt to taste

Prep: Mix dry spice mixture but leave out the SALT and TUMERIC. Season chicken / protein LIBERALLY with spice mixture. Heat up your pan. While your pan is warming up, toss onions in a food processor and puree, set aside. Toss tomato in food processor and puree, set aside. When pan is hot, add oil and ghee and brown the seasoned chicken, but don't cook all the way through, wrap in foil, and set aside. Once you take out your chicken, add chopped garlic/ginger/chili and cook till fragrant. Add 1 tbsp of dry spice and cook till fragrant. Add the onion puree and mix, and cook this until the onions are a rich dark brown color (add water or oil if pan gets too dry). Once onions are browned, add tomato puree, tumeric, and 1 more tbsp of spice, mix, and cook until oil separates. Add chicken stock (or water) until you get desired consistency and to compensate for evaporation. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes, season with salt, then add chicken and simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Serve over rice.

>*1 1/4 tsp of clove

Whoops.

>butter chicken
I fucking love butter chicken
is there anything better to come out of india?

Step-by-step guide on curry when using pre-mixed powders
1. Heat some chopped garlic and fresh ginger in oil, preferably to start right away in a big non-stick pot.
2. Add a shitton of finely chopped (or even blended) onions, usually 2-3 onions per person serving.
3. Cook on medium heat until onion is soft and transparent, don't forget to stir it often
4. Add a bit of mixed spices and season it
5. Cook untill onion starts(!) to get golden color
6. Add finely chopped tomatoes or tomato paste, about 3/4 amount of onions.
7. Add the final desired amount of mixed spices.
8. Cook till it doesnt taste like onions, and actually tastes good, add spices or season it if necessary
9. Serve with jasmine rice if you fancy, or just regular rice if you're ok

Some curries require you to add a tad of coconut milk before the step 8.

To further improve the taste, you can add one stick of cinnamon, a few sliced chilli peppers, 1-2 cloves and crushed black cardamon right at the beginning with ginger and garlic.

Important addition - when cooking curry, watch your heat. Ideally you want to cook it on high enough heat to get the taste right, but low enough so it doesn't get fried. You don't want anything dark brown in your curry, and if onion burns even a little - it all goes to shit.
Add a bit more oil in the beginning, or pour in some boiling water in the process when it looks too dry. Just try it out a few times and you'll get the hang of it, if you're not terrible at cooking

Can someone tell me how to jhalfrezi

>Only half of it will be used

Wtf? Why are you giving double ingredients?

clean your stove holy shit

>Brown chicken
>Pour in jhalfrzi jar
>Casually empty onto plate of minute rice

You are now an average ck user

Because everybody has a different tolerance for spice, some would want more, some less, so it's better to have it on hand already.

Guess I should have addressed that better.

there's no chilli in that masala though

Opening a jar is barely less effort than adding some flour and seasoning to tomatoes

>chili peppers to taste

They're in there.

You add them with the garlic and ginger to taste.

But that's not in the masala

If you're talking about dried chili powder, then no, it's not.

Chili powder wasn't in the recipe I chose to use, nor do I think it's needed. It could certainly be added, of course.

Well people can handle aromatic spices in high quantities, it's just the hot stuff you have to watch out for.

First you need to start off by throwing in a bunch of random spices and seeds into burning-hot oil (like cumin seeds, coriander seeds, bay leaves, dried chilies, etc.)
Then you need to throw in some ginger and garlic.
After that, throw some onions and diced chilis in.
Then throw some meat and vegetables in.
Add vegetable stock and lots of more spices (especially ground garam masala), as well as some chili powder.
Dekimashita!
Now it should be filled with lots of spiciness and smell like the streets of Mumbai.
Source: Watching hundreds of videos of Indian people cooking on Youtube