Willpower

What exactly determines your willpower? Is there any way to train it?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16845204
youtu.be/vdsgdvJUEic?t=1433
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What exactly determines your willpower?

3d6

> Is there any way to train it?
Yes. Training willpower is like training a muscle. You need to use it to push yourself regularly, but also allow it time to recover.

>Yes. Training willpower is like training a muscle.

Has this actually been proven?

Yes. I'm not a psychologist so I can't link the papers, but here's a starting point
bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16845204

Reach Wizard level and you'll get a +3 to your willpower.

to develop will power you have to have a goal/ambition to work towards. the goal has to be something you must have and that you will give anything for. whether it's running a marathon, getting to a normal weight, getting a first class honors degree,...., start writing out goals that you want to achieve, go at them, conquer them and then write some more goals. you have to be hungry. keep track of what you do each day and be honest with yourself. the only person you are truly accountable to is yourself.

You have to expend willpower to make more willpower replace it, and you have to be consistent. you have to push yourself so that you start using your reserve tank. the discipline comes from doing what you gotta do no matter what. discipline comes from habit and routine, as well as something to stive for. With discipline you can develop a kind of grit that you know nothing will stand in your way, you can overcome setbacks easier.

willpower is linked to the idea that "once you've made a decision, you've made a decision", you don't keep recalculating and asking yourself whether you want it.you don't decide to give less than 100%, you have to embrace all of your energies towards whatever you want to do. it's like gattica, don't leave anything for the swim back.
part of the problem is that we have so many bad habits ingrained in our lives that just leech at our time and we don't realise it. some of the people in our lives are holding us back, because they don't want the same thing as you. they don't want to you to succeed because they're like crabs in a bucket

some people don't know what they want from life so are never fully satisfied and try to seek happiness from material things, status, or rely on someone else to make them happy.

check this video out
youtu.be/vdsgdvJUEic?t=1433
this guy talks about how he became a navy seal, developed the resiliance, mental toughness to never quit

sorry for the long post

He's basically right.
I've spent too much time doing philosphy and now the idea of choosing a goal is ludicrous.

more sleep / meditation / cardio every day / getting out of comfort zone on a regular basis

>I've spent too much time doing philosphy and now the idea of choosing a goal is ludicrous.

I find it just so hard to find a goal because there is so much to do in life but so little time.

>you have to be hungry.
But I love tea and biscuits!

you have to have a clear goal in mind, that's when the drive kicks in, then it's up to you to respond to that drive with productivity

usually a roll of dice at the beginning of the game

xD I was going to post 'STOP BEING A LIL'BITCH' to OP but you win this one xD GG

dont ever reply to me again

there's a good book by the marshmallow test author

i think 'Getting things done' by Allen is also relevant, not sure though

the goal-oriented responses are on point as well: you need to realise the reasons why you need to do something and either get on with it, or give it up and do something else instead

Right. What you're supposed to do is arbitrarily choose something and then just do that. But how do you choose one thing arbitrarily out of all the things? It's madness. I would envy people with that kind of dedication, but I suspect they have their own complimentary mental problems.

It's anything but arbitrary, in my experience. You have to find what makes you tick, makes you excited. Something that you will never get bored of because you like it so much.

This might require some soul searching.
What did you like to do as a kid? What is your means of procrastination? If you watch anime all day, and it keeps your from doing work, go and study Japanse animation. Start drawing.

If you play a lot of games instead of doing your homework, start to think of what kind of game you would like to make.

What if I have a goal but I don't have the confidence in myself to achieve it?

Good question. You can to take into account what could go wrong, and how great the chance is that it can go wrong. If you accept these possibilities and still want to go for it, go for it!
It will be worth it because you spent your time doing something you think is good/important/fun.

If you fail that is one lesson learned. I often say to myself; Most people who have failed to reach their goals gave up at some point. So don't give up.

Confidence is with me very much fleeting. It comes and goes. Try to find a balance. If you find your hesitant thoughts bring you down, be mindful of them and let them go and go do your thing.

If you persevere, though, I can almost guarantee you will have reached some goal in a certain way.

then you're a faggot

nofap
force yourself to take cold showers

>he's never been on Veeky Forums

.webm related