Hai everybody!

Hai everybody!

Do you know what this is? Do you like Korean food?

That's right! Today we're making kimchi sundubu-jjigae, Maangchi style!

Other urls found in this thread:

nuggetmarket.com/recipes/782/gojuchang-porter-black-bean-soup/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First make stock.

Peel and slice radish. Break off piece of dried seaweed. Remove head and guts from dried anchovies.

Mix sesame oil and chili powder.

Please resize your pictures

Boil for 10 minutes, then simmer for another 20 minutes (covered).

Better?

Chop pork, garlic, onion, and scallion.

Strain your stock. Smells like a fishy beach on an extra rank day.

Why is everything you do so funky, Korea?

Maangchi says you can make side dishes with all this stuff, but I must have missed that video.

Oi! Thank God we have guys like you starting actual cooking threads on this here Jack/Joey/Kay/McChicken board. I'll be monitoring.
Please get off dial-up.

keep postin op, i dig it

Cuck

Keep posting!

Start by sauteing onion and garlic.

Sorry. Had to go do thing.

Jelly of the boiling pot, I wanted to buy one but at my asian grocer I thought they were asking a lot for them. How much was yours out of curiosity? I followed her recipe using kimchi and pork belly, then made the bok choy and pea rice as a side.

Next goes in the pork.

Kimchi radish user says you're doing a good job.

Is jjigaae made with gochujang or not?

Kimchi!

~$8, including the base. I just found out I have a really good Korean grocery store not too far away from me, which is why everything seems brand new/unopened.

>pork belly

I could have done something better, but just went with bacon.

Not in this case.

Not OP but yes.

Cover with stock.

>bugeul, bugeul, bugeul

Coconut break!

Add soft tofu and season with salt and sugar. I like palm sugar.

Add the sesame oil/chili mix, depending on how spicy you want it.

Green onion garnish.

I would've used bigger tofu cuts, but looks gucci OP
8/10 would eat for days

Might pick myself up a stone pot to make some big batches

Wa la!

A meal fit for a Maangchi.

It's extra soft/silken tofu, so you kind of just throw it in and mash it up with your spoon. I highly recommend the earthenware pots. I'm planning on getting a larger one next time I go back.

>Fried chicken feet
Tell me where you got that shit right now

Maangchi adds an egg to hers, and also eats is with rice and a few side dishes... but she weighs 99 pounds soaking wet and can somehow get away with eating 1500 calories for lunch.

Local Chinese grocery store (different from Korean grocery store). For every $15 you spend you get a voucher for $1 off at either the bakery or hot foods section; I ended up spending enough on snacks and groceries to get half a pound of free chicken feet.

>going to do maangchi's whole grilled squid some time later this week, hopefully

Chicken feet Banchan.

How'd you prep those? They look just like the ones I got in some random bar when I was in Seoul and all the recipes I find online end up with a much more KFC fried chicken breading
I want that delicious slippery chicken skin texture

Looks good user. Just had some today matter of fact. I didn't have any tofu though.

Sometimes I like to pretend that I'm 90 years old, with dentures and dementia, with a hearing aid who's battery just died, left alone with my newborn great grandchild in my nursing home room, gnawing on those tender baby fingers with my raw gums, oblivious to the screams and cries, spitting those baby sized finger bones like the sunflower seeds it'd been so many years since I'd been allowed to indulge in.

They came from a store. Thanks. The good news is that I have enough leftovers to make a second batch!

You're scaring me

oh yeah?

>that melt-in-your-mouth tofu which has picked up all the flavors of the anchovy stock, garlic/onion, pork, kimchi, and sesame oil/chili broth

>those contrasting textures of the crunchy kimchi and the chewy pork

>nom, nom, nom

Little bubbles of chili oil spread across the surface ensure spicy flavor throughout.

Earthenware pot keeps your stew hot to the last bite.

OP the autistic carefully laid out his kitchen utensils and food on the counter. He admired his attention to detail and symmetry so much that he proceeded to take pictures to post for all to see

Fuck you. You're just hiding the fact that your kitchen is a pig sty and you can't cook anything to make a thread about. Go jackpost something about fastfood.
This looks good, user. I don't have a pork belly handy, but I have kombu, chicken and various other things. Will make something like it for lunch!

>I chuckled at his delusion. I could feel it oozing out through my computer screen.
>"This Fool!" I thought so hard I almost said it out loud...
>but no, I have more self restraint than that... I realized
>I turned away from the computer, I could feel my face getting hot with rage
>how dare this heathen post... something... Homemade!?...
>No! I must remain composure
>for I am the chosen one
>and for me
>it is the mcchicken, the best fast food sandwich

All gone!

One pot meal makes for easy clean up.

I don't know anything about feng shui, but if you could see the rest of the kitchen you'd most likely agree that it made sense for everything to be facing in that direction.

Thanks for sharing OP. I should get a dolsot. But then again I tend to buy gochujang and then not use it for a year and toss it out. Wat do

you sound like the autisic one bud

>I tend to buy gochujang and then not use it for a year and toss it out. Wat do

Gochuhang (along with miso paste) is fermented and will easily last in the refrigerator for well over a year once opened (the same isn't true for kimchi, which will turn more and more sour over the course of the first month as it continues to ferment).

I think of it like one among a handful of hot sauces. First and foremost I'd recommend watching Maangchi videos and the like, and trying out Korean dishes. Otherwise, I mix it with mayo, ketchup, whatever... to add extra tang to my sauces. I'll add a little to home made oil/vinegar dressings to toss with blanches vegetables, or cold noodles. Mix a little in to your scrambled eggs. I use it to marinade meats, or baste meats with when I braise/broil/grill (miso as well, but miso burns easy). It can also be used on it's own like a hot sauce mixed in your ramen, or whatever to mix up you flavors.

For $5 a pop for something that will last a year and doesn't take up that much room in your refrigerator, my thought is just go for it and play around whenever you're bored with your daily routine.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll try to use it more often.

To be fair, Maangchi isn't exactly stick thin.
She's not fat either, but you can definitely tell she enjoys food.

No problem, user.

I also meant to link this recipe for Gochujang Porter Black Bean Soup. I made it first thing when Winter hit this year and filed the recipe in my "to keep" folder. I used deschutes black butte porter for the beer and it turned out great.

nuggetmarket.com/recipes/782/gojuchang-porter-black-bean-soup/

>inb4 meme garnishes

I used green onions because I always seem to have them around.

She's something like 4'2"... I'm 5'8" and couldn't get away with eating what she calls her "lunch" on anything resembling a bi-monthly basis.

>2am snack

>chicken foot
>kimchi
>panty dropper general tso chicken

Came to Veeky Forums because I wanted something to do with this Kimchi. I don't remember when I bought it, but the sticker says 9/13/16. I haven't opened it and the internet says it doesn't go bad, is it good to use?

shut up

>I have kombu, chicken and various other things

Are you familiar with hondashi?

It's Japanese dashi stock powder, and if you don't spend too much time pondering the ingredient list it's actually a really good substitute for home made dashi stock, and far superior than Western stock/bullion cubes.

>it's actually a really good substitute for home made dashi stock

Lolno.

Taste it. If it tastes bad it is bad. But things like sauerkraut and kimchi have wicked shelf life if they've been kept cool, so my guess is that it's still good.

This. It's nowhere near as good as homemade dashi.

And the thing is that dashi is really quick and easy to make. Whereas a traditional European stock can take hours to make, Dashi takes 15 minutes, most of which is hands-off time.

>far superior than Western stock/bullion cubes

Obviously it's not the same as homemade, but when compared to the Western alternatives it's an acceptable instant substitute.

While I agree with you that western stock/bullion cubes are indeed crap compared to proper homemade stock, I don't really see the love for Instant dashi. Given that dashi is so quick to make (like pointed out), there's not much of a reason not to make it yourself instead of using the instant stuff.

That's weird. Most sundubu jjigae's use beef.

Oh, you used kimchi. Pork is good then.

Bonitoflakes are very expensive, thats the only bummer for me
T. Central European

It's Maangchi's recipe.

you know dashi is just kombu and bonito flakes, right? why would anyone find a shortcut for something so simple?

Imagine if you went full weeb and had a bowl of miso soup with breakfast every day. Would you really want to make a fresh batch of stock every morning before work/school? Or would you rather spend 60 seconds mixing a spoonful of hondashi with a cup of boiling water?

Given how much better the real stuff tastes? I'd gladly spend the 15 minutes. In fact, it probably wouldn't take any more time when it's all said and done: The konbu can steep in the hot water while I'm preparing the rest of my meal.

So I was rummaging around this morning and made a Jumangi-tier discovery.

If you're on a phone or otherwise haven't figured out how to zoom in on an image, it says 11 & 1/2" on the side of that "knife" (yeah, it's more like a small sword). No, that isn't a miniature cutting board; see for scale - that's a G2 with an 8" blade. I've been chuckling to myself all morning that somebody actually purchased such an absurdly large knife. The real kicker is that despite being a little dirty, it still had the factory edge on it! It should go without saying that it went right into my knife roll (it just barely fit).

Anyway: round 2!

Mystery Chinese wild brown rice that happened to be on sale, chicken stock, young coconut chunks, diced snow peas, dried red chili pepper - because why not?

Done.

Strangely works.

I would suggest that you don't cook the snaps but just slice them as thin as you can and fold them in to the still hot rice.

This time we're including rice cakes!

I would, after the fact, suggest the exact same thing.

>$3 for a 3 pound bag

Everything other than "Korean rice cake" is written in Chinese...

I can say this for certain having been there.
Koreans outsource almost everything to China. Hell, it's even cheaper for them to do so.

Still looks pretty good.

I don't know, user. Korean stuff looks like Korean stuff. Chinese stuff pretending to be Korean stuff really kind of stands out.

>rice cakes
What are those?

Pretty much what it sounds like. Basically lightly seasoned, overly cooked rice, pounded and rolled into thick noodles that are then fried/boiled/grilled/etc., with other ingredients. They're bland like tofu and pick up the flavors they're cooked with, but the texture is more tough and chewy.

Here's the ingredients list from Maanchi's website for how to make them from scratch.

EGG
G
G

Cha!

It's hard to tell how hot it is just form pictures, but look how quickly the egg sets.

Rice is nice.

Goes with spice.

This is a kingly thread OP, keep it up!

>nom, nom, nom

Some say as kimchi gets older it taste better. Also it might be fizzy but im pretty sure thats kinda normal.

My PC at work also can't handle these threads. I have to download them and open them in another program. Don't change anything tho.

It turns more sour as it ferments. But if user didn't open his jar it's hard to say what it's like.

Kimchi like a dinosaur.

Opa gangbang style

A little bit of everything in one bite.

3am snack.

>kimchi+cottage cheese=bliss

Can you guess what it is?

Second hint.

nope.jpg

ducko

Squido!

Do not harm the cephalo

Cephalo is not your friend.