Curry

You guys probably get this post every day, but I'm in dire need of a good curry recipe. Help would be greatly appreciated, Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MWzxDFRtVbc
youtube.com/watch?v=rb2WQMxHLbk
madeinmykitchen.com/2013/09/atk-chicken-tikka-masala.html?
youtu.be/HOM-8PpH91I
youtu.be/7-71R0Zw3hs
nytimes.com/1986/08/31/magazine/food-currying-flavor.html?pagewanted=all
eatyourbooks.com/library/13761/ismail-merchants-passionate-meals-the/5
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

have a recipe of a girl whose ass I want to eat
youtube.com/watch?v=MWzxDFRtVbc

>british

DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D

im assuming you want japanese curry?
just buy the stuff that come in boxes and then put in your favorite meat and veggies.

That looks pretty good! But, do you think it would be possible to replace the chicken with beef, and serve it as OP image looks?

Yeah, that's what I was hoping to do, but I live in a rural area and I'm not sure our "international foods" groceries would have them. Good call though, I'll be headed to town tomorrow to have a look.

Yup.
You just have to replace the chicken with beef, and present it in such a way that is similar to OPs pic.

>not wanting a cute british waifu
get your tastes checked son

Look for Golden Curry (or order online), add some potato, carrot and onion then follow the instructions.
You could make the sauce from scratch but desu these cubes are god tier.

Do not follow the recipe on the back. Stock should be used instead of water. Veggies like onions and bell peppers as well as any meat should be brown before adding to the curry. Many more herbs and spices are needed besides the blocks. Apple is an excellent addition if you're making it spicy and have included potatoes.

use amazon

Best recipe I've come across:

youtube.com/watch?v=rb2WQMxHLbk

Get the premade curry blocks and follow the tips in this thread. Just be aware that chink "medium hot" pretty much means its as spicy as a bell pepper so be sure to add some extra chillies if you want it spicy

Thanks for all the tips! Once I get all my ingredients, I'll reply here/start a new thread with how it turns out!

this is fried chicken and gravy.

why do brits/japs even call this shit curry?

it's japs, not brits. we call it japanese curry because it;s what they call curry. just like we call your biscuits american biscuits.

they call it curry because it's made with curry powder as a predominant flavour, and it's meat in a thick sauce over rice.

finally, who gives a fuck what it's called you faggot.

>curry thread
>everyone defaults to weeb shit

Bunch of fags

I know. It's not real curry if I don't have a shoeless, sun-leathered, brown man cooking in the kitchen after using his hand to wipe his ass after shitting on the sidewalk.

also add either ketchup or tomato paste and honey.

Thank me later.

this thread will probably still be live if its within a day or so, slow board

>whose ass i want to eat
what the fuck is wrong with--
>*watches vid
oh. good choice.

OP's image is called Japanese-Curry.jpg

Japanese curry is pretty darn tootin' user!

call me a normalfag but chicken tikka masala is the tits

madeinmykitchen.com/2013/09/atk-chicken-tikka-masala.html?

>getting so triggered on a sri lankan cinnamon harvesting board

you need to calm down son

If you like thai curry find an asian market and buy this brand or Mae ploy. Just add coconut milk and whatever ingredients you want. It taste close to restaurant quality.

THIS
H
I
S

I don't hoard cans or anything, but I always have a couple Maesri green curry pastes and full fat coconut cans on hand.

I usually do methods instead of recipes - Curry for me is fridge cleaning day when things don't really add up under normal/western circumstances.

First you have to figure out what you want. Do you have a specific curry in mind, or just a general vibe? Any ingredients on hand that you'd like to use? Anything you're craving.

Knowing which spices do what is intrinsic to good curry. Luckily you can figure this out on the fly. Ideally you have whole spices you can quickly roast/fry and grind. Cumin and coriander are the big ones - 2 tbsps or so each. Paprika/dried/smoked pepper can be used in large amounts or not at all. "Sweet" spices like cinnamon and cloves are used more sparingly, but provide a pleasant and necessary balance to the earthy bitterness of cumin and coriander.

I prefer to heat the spices dry and use a mechanical grinder, but frying them and using a mortar and pestle is much more "authentic" and will infuse the cooking oil with flavour for the meat. If you're using bagged/jarred ground spices, I wouldn't add them until a minute or so before you're ready to add liquid, lest they burn and become acrid.

The protein will change up your method a bit too. If you're using chicken, you cannot utilize the juices in a dairy-based curry - it will curdle.

Once you've got your game plan down, it's generally business as usual - brown the meat, add the veg, season when appropriate/you won't burn the seasonings, sauce, cook through, finish.

If you have a particularly tough and bony bit of meat, you won't need to add anything but a bit of water to thicken your curry - before you sauce, just add a cup or two of water and cook down until nearly dry - it will draw the gelatin out. Otherwise, you may want to clear a corner of the pan and make a roux before saucing, or finish up with a bit of cornstarch slurry.

Thanks for the continued recipes/ideas! I really appreciate it! I've been craving curry non-stop for the past ever, but never really got around to finding any good recipes/finding any of the curry cubes. I'll definitely be trying each of these recipes at some point or another. Will be trying something in the next few days for sure, though.

I've never used curry stock cubes as our stores in here do not sell them and I'm too lazy to visit asian stores so I always make my own curry sauce for japanese style curry:
>Equal amounts of butter and plain white flour in pan
>Add butter first, let it melt and start to bubble
>Add some curry powder with butter
>Cook butter and spice until they smell nutty
>Add flour and stirr
>Keep the roux on the pan until it's nice and brown
>Add chicken/meat stock little by little while whisking rigorously
>Keep adding stock until the sauce is runny as it will keep on reducing thicker
>Add additional condiments and spices
>More curry powder, black pepper, ketchup, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce and cayenne pepper/chili powder if you want it a little more spicy
I don't overpower this dish too much as I still want it to taste like curry.
Then I'll just add those cooked vegetables and meat in there and let it simmer for a while. The only problem for inexperienced cooks in this recipe is probably the rate of butter/flour and adding the liquid while whisking because doing it wrongly, you'll end up with gritty flour bits in your sauce but this can be fixed by pouring the sauce through strainer and back into the pan.
I just prefer doing nearly everything in the kitchen from scratch instead of using shortcuts as I like cooking alot. The only situation where I could concider using curry stock cubes is if I'd have to cook for bunch of people

>sri lankan cinnamon harvesting board
you people need to stop with this stale meme

There's your FIRST mistake. Liking Japanese curry. The only thing Japanese does right cuisine wise is sushi and EVERYONE knows it.

Second mistake you are making is not shifting your eyes on the map of the world and seeing GOLDEN THAI CURRY.

THANK YOU?

that's just beef stew with rice

how about dat dere ramen tho

I do agree tho.

>Ramen
>Okonomiyaki
>Melon Fanta
>Nabe
>Sukiyaki
>Yakitori
>Takoyaki

I got bored listing delicious food off the top of my head

>not posting vahchef

youtu.be/HOM-8PpH91I

This guy is the best instead of powder he says poder, instead of tomatoes he says termaters.

Here's an autismo I episode.

youtu.be/7-71R0Zw3hs

I'll just use onion powder.

Diced apples sounds like a good idea though.

I bet it tastes like strawberries

my negro
>ywn cover a 6/10 indiaboo's tits with your cum
wait actually that is totally possible

Apples should go in last when nearly everything is completely cooked or they get too soft

>japanese "curry"

disgusting

I prefer to make it myself but jap curry is quick and easy so in a pinch it's pretty great

I used golden curry before (2 cubes) and it came out bland, watery and generally not like curry at all. What should I add to make it thick, savoury and spicy? I'm contemplating thickening it up with some doenjang for that rich soy taste.

Don't try to make japanese curry into any kind of real curry. It's a fusion dish that is its own mess. It's roux plus gravy concentrate plus a light bit of spices plus soy (why the heck is it there? ick).

If you want a good curry recipe just look to Madhur Jaffrey, she's the biggest authority on all things indian food. Or go Thai with your curry, if you have lots of fresh ingredients. Or you can buy a paste and your own can of coconut milk. Fry the paste, simmer the meat in milk or yogurt and top with fresh herbs like basil.

I love a yogurt chicken recipe that I got from film director Ismail Merchant cookbook two decades ago. I love it because you make the marinade the night before, combine with chicken in your baking dish, and just move from fridge to oven the next evening. nytimes.com/1986/08/31/magazine/food-currying-flavor.html?pagewanted=all
I still make repeated meals from his cookbook years later. This site has a link to sherbanus rice recipe. My favorite yogurt chicken is actually called "baked chicken, murgh dam" in his cookbook (garlic; ginger; garam masala; ground red pepper; yogurt; lemons; whole chicken breasts skinned). Doubling the yogurt makes a nice spoon-over sauce when done baking.
eatyourbooks.com/library/13761/ismail-merchants-passionate-meals-the/5

Cuck

Japan is ahead of the world technologically and culturally, I think they know a thing or two about food. The way they go to the market every single day to buy fresh food for that days meals, and not going to your supermarkets to buy hundreds of yens worth of food to store in a giant wasteful refrigerator while your fresh produce hangs out and dies out

>What should I add to make it thick, savoury and spicy?

Add more cubes you fuckwit.

How many? Assuming I'm making curry for 4.

It's hard to give specifics without knowing exactly how much of what you're adding to your curry, and because taste and texture are subjective.

Just go by taste and texture. Add a few cubes. Taste it. Is it still watery and not flavorful enough? Add a couple more. Taste it again. Repeat until you get it where you want.

Meh, this shit's expensive so I'd rather bulk it up with the stuff I tend to keep in stock, like doenjang, garam masala etc.

>Meh, this shit's expensive
Really? Where do you live where this stuff is even remotely expensive?

Anyway, if you want to thicken it up the obvious thing is to add more roux. If not from the cubes, then make it yourself. Or add another basic thickener like corn/potato starch, etc.

If you want to make it spicier then you can, of course, add spices. I wouldn't add garam masala though; the taste of that and the Japanese-style seasonings would clash in my opinion. (though if you like it, go ahead).

Thanks user, not OP but this is an uncharcteristically useful post on Veeky Forums

'preciate it

These "cubes" or bricks or whatever that chocolate looking stuff is... is not common here.
Ive seen jars of paste in the "ethnic" section, but again, why?
All I need for great curry chicken is to sprinkle in some bagged powder. Why are you making this so damn complicated and expensive?

Indian recipes in a nutshell
Ingredients:
Spices
More spices
Even more fucking spices
Chilé powder
Dried chiles
Fresh chiles
Garlic
Ginger
Onions
Meat or vegetables
Coconut milk or yogurt
Procedure:
1. Throw in some spices, as well as dried chili in a pot with some burning hot oil
2. Throw in garlic and ginger mixture
3. Sautée the onions
4. Throw in freshly chopped chiles
5. Put in the meat until it's nicely cooked
6. Dump in some chili powder and coconut milk or yogurt
7. Add more fucking spices (preferably garam masala or some shit like that)
8. Add some chili powder and salt if needed
Serve with rice and some flatbread.
That's it.