Why do we put salt & pepper in most of our food?

Why do we put salt & pepper in most of our food?

Other urls found in this thread:

alternet.org/story/147181/do_we_really_have_a_5th_taste_what_is_the_umami_fad_all_about/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why not

They enhance flavor, every culture knows this.

So, you're saying most food needs enhanching?

> so you're saying not everyone has the same palate and opinion???

w e w
e
w

Needs? I'm not sure about that. Could benefit from? Almost certainly.

My point was, is the food we ingest really so bad we need to enhanche it? I dont enchance an apple or pear.
Making pasta, yeah, thats bland. But even minced meat in itself can taste bland.

>My point was, is the food we ingest really so bad we need to enhanche it?

Sadly, most of the food we eat (and by "we" I mean the devloped world) is pretty crappy, yeah. Industrialized farming has done wonders for the stability and price of our food supply. We can walk into a market and buy whatever we want regardless of season. But the flavor of those ingredients has seriously suffered. The sad thing is that most of us don't even realize it.

>oh look, it's this thread again
are you actually autistic?

To bulk it out.

And do you really bother, then?
You are free to leave this board, even encouraged, so strap on your sneakers and head over over to /mlp/

>buy whatever we want regardless of season
I'm having the hardest fucking time finding yellow summer squash right now and it's pissing me off. Get your shit together, America.

I enhance apple and pear.

You probably enhance a chocalatebar also.
Yeah, we can have fruits and vegetables all year round, but they really do taste crap. We should buy locally and in season.

The reason is that different parts of our tongue have different senses of taste (sweet, salty, bitter, hot and umami). In order to 'taste' your food with most or even the entire tongue, you want to have all of those tastes included in your meal.

Other than that, salt is an integral mineral for our body. You crave a certain amount of salty things by nature.

It's not just fruits and vegetables, it's meats also. Factory-farmed chicken and pork are seriously lacking in flavor compared to the alternative.

>different parts of our tongue have different senses of taste
nope

Because white people hate proper spices.

>I dont enchance an apple or pear
i bet you don't even activate your almonds

Could be, old habits never die.
True, even decent chicken or beef needs a little sometihing.
Im not saying its wrong to flavor your food, au contraire, but S&P?

Don't put it in food if u don't want to.

Hmm ok. That's deep, man.

because of Louis the XIV of France. He thought seasoning and browning of meat to be vulgar. Saw it on pic related's food show.

>umami

Fuck off weeb

You wrote this?
alternet.org/story/147181/do_we_really_have_a_5th_taste_what_is_the_umami_fad_all_about/

The Japanese didn't invent a new flavour you faggot. Umami is just savoury you smug weeaboo fuck

Salt is crucial for most meals.
Pepper was the most valuable spice, it shows generosity if you spend it for your guests.

Not really why I use pepper nowadays

Stop being faggots and just use pic related

Frau Merkel, sind sie hier?

but no one would give a shit about pepper if it wasn't made popular in the feudalism era.

SOMEWHAT related, not sure if true, but heavy seasoning of food began in Rome, as their municipal plumbing was made of lead and following that, increased lead consumption has lead(hurr hurr) to numbing of the pallate, among other simptoms of course. So they seasoned their food more and more.

Could be true

It's a life hack :D

Take the best cut of any meat you have and cook it. Now, taste it. Now, sprinkle a little salt on that bitch and try it again.

>salt is an integral mineral for our body. You crave a certain amount of salty things by nature.
This

I think every ethnic group had developed a way to have salt for their needs be trading it , mining it or harvesting it from seewater... even groups without those possibilities developed other methods like burning plants and use the ashes rich in minerals ...
modern food has way to much salt
salt is a traditional way to conserve food too (stockfish, cured meat, etc)

The french, mostly.