Transhumanism

File: images.jpg (7 KB, 297x169)
7 KB
Transhumanism Anonymous 10/25/16(Tue)21:23:31 No.49949685▶
So how do you guys think humans will improve themselves in the future
Becoming more like machines, with cybernetics, consciousness transferring, neural networks and what not or...
Will we modify our genetic code to make ourselves smarter, stronger, faster, sleeker and overall superior?
Or maybe both.... what do you guys think?

Designer babies

I personally think it will result into a lot of failures.
Some of its implications could be outright dangerous.

I have yet to find something transhumanist related that goes indepth of all the potential issues and problems at hand.

Transhumanists should start reading about complexity science and maybe their ideas will mature.

Transhumanism is nothing more than mental masturbation. It's simply hard scifi fantasy. Completely stupid.

On a side note, "transhumanists" have absolutely no sense of humor on the subject. At all.

this, it's a meme for ultracrepidarian plebs

How can you say that while developments like Crispr are occurring? Do you deny we'll ever have the technology or deny that we'll use it? Either way you're a retarded faggot

Yup, and that's fun. Why so serious?

Nonbiological AI or a cluster of pumped up brains in jars will determine where intelligent life will go from here. There is no human at the end of the road.

>Will we modify our genetic code to make ourselves
Here's some food for thought for you, I suggest to do some more research yourself.
Note I am not at all qualified to speak about genes, but I think that many 'transhumanists' have just as little understanding about genes.

the only thing id like is eternal youth, perfecting body and mind is fun why use shortcuts

What currently existing degree would be the most beneficial to get for extending transhumanism?

Maybe getting an MD and a PhD in Genetics?

Basically only thing I can hope for when it comes to advancement of technology.

I see a lot of misunderstand of what transhumanism is in this thread.

True Transhumanism is similar to the understanding the relationship between insects and humans will exist between humans and some unknown entity. Being transhumanist is about embracing that fact.

Practically it means embracing things like AI and Genetic engineering.

most "transhumanists" are simply in it as a replacement for God or religion, a hope of eternal life.

That is not what I would consider the correct interpretation.

True transhumanism is about power and survival. THe idea we have of what "life" is and of not wanting to die is simply a necessary trait for survival that was wired into us by evolution.

There is no real self. You die every day and every moment of life.

I'll elaborate

Humans or we are ever changing networks. If I gave you eternal life, after 100 years you would be entirely different than you are today. The "you" of today would be as dead as if it was shot in the head instead of "living".

What we seek to preserve is not ourselves or life but rather our genetics, aka natural selection/passing genes on/etc. We are tricked into this feeling of life in order to do this.

If you recieved eternal life and got to hook into an AI, you would be effectively dead. If I increased your IQ by 40 points, you would "die" in the process and a new you emerge.

The sense of self, of living, is a lie.

When you start to understand transhumanist concepts you would understand that a super high intelligence being with good traits is supremely superior to ourselves.

This chain could go on forever as well.

The only way to stay "alive" forever would be to never change. Hence any definition of life includes change and a "vector" change to yourself on some path. What if this "change" was in creating a much better humanity or much better new life form (AI, human 2.0) etc.

It's not about wanting to live forever or avoid change. It's about wanting the most positive change possible. The people not wanting change are the evil ones.

Transhumanism is just new age ideology. Just handwaving. They'll all disappear once it's apparent that this caveman tech paradigm was just the cavalier exploitation of cheap resources.

is this page like the only thing you've read on genetics?

Maybe we could modify our genetic code to wire better with artificial extensions. I have no clue of the feasibility and would be interested in it but for instance I thought about artificial neurons that basically serve as an extension of the human brain (more space-efficient than our natural brain) that can be "driven" by the biological brain.
(And maybe later revisions of these artificial neurons can be modified in how they work compared to natural neurons so they won't just mean additional neurons [that e.g. might be of use when they're activated/connected/added during the process of learning sth - particular motions, skills or whatever] {actually maybe this learning process could furthermore also be improved from a chemical side so this enhancement could be effected trilaterally}.)
But I think in the short term the extensions will continue to be just or mostly synthetic and even shorter term external with both of that decreasing in time.
However I think that pondering or supposing such technological changes doesn't have much effect and I don't think there's much it can further except anticipation of potential sociological (economic,political;societal) changes. And that might not be such a good thing either as it could turn out all different and however one supposes to properly react to such potential or actual changes (from one's ideology and ideas about current and coming impact) might have an inadvertent effect after all.
Anyways as another question I wonder to what ends these improvements will be made (incl. by whom and how it's financed). So for instance currently I think at first/most in the military, in the capitalist corporate context - the largest share of 1st world nations' population probably has another level of enhancement (e.g. not more than augmented reality goggles & contact lenses for extra/new social media).
imo nice thread - hoped for more discussion...

>So how do you guys think humans will improve themselves in the future

By lifitng even heavier weights and putting them back down.

and by genetic editing for stimulating muscle growth?

LEAVE HUMANITY BEHIND

Nah it had some more pages about it. But ok, genetics is not one of those things I read tons about. So why don't you tell me what's wrong with it?
All I keep hearing is that the human genome project was more or less a failure, mostly since genes don't work in isolation.

Or you could give me something to read?

Most useful posts in this thread.

Hi Veeky Forums, how's it going today?