How many hours do you study a day?

How many hours do you study a day on average?
Also what's your Major (USA) University Course(UK+ others)

Medicine
4-6 hours on average

>math
Like, maybe 5, or 6 right now, my dude.

Medicine, approximately same as you.

All day but with a lot of pauses. Maybe about 4 continuous hours or less.

CPGE (Maths/Physics/Ingineering)
8 hours

>Nuclear physics
Total: 8/10
Split:
Mathematics: 4
Physics: 2/4
Chemistry: 2

NEET
8-10 hours learning
other hours shitposting

Does it count classes?

literally me

Curing my gaming addiction as a NEET is probably the best thing to ever happen in my life. I have 2/3rds of the entire day dedicated to learning stuff, reading stuff and coding stuff. Currently trying to motivate myself to go through those advanced sleep schedules so I have about 18-20 hours of the entire day, uninterrupted, available to me

Pure math
I study like an hour/week.

was wondering about this as well. If we're not counting class time I really only spend maybe an hour a day unless I have put off work for some reason in which case it'd be 2-4

I'm tempted to not count classtime since all I do is listen while playing games on my phone

if we include classes then around 14

I never stop doing mathematics.
I have a parallel process that runs derivations when I'm not devoting all my attention to it.
When I go to bed I'm aware all night.
During this period visualization becomes crispy and everything flows effortlessly.

i wake up at 6am and go to bed at midnight
i fuck around in the morning until my class at 830
from then on i'm studying 100% of the time besides food breaks and class and transiting back home. I fucking hate physics so goddamn much.

>Math
About 19.

5 hours sleep? That's pretty stupid.

UCSB undergraduate senior

Microbiology

roughly 4-6 hours myself, if we count the weekend then maybe 3-5 hours a day

that's amphetaminitious

Amphetamine? That's pretty stupid.

You're gonna give yourself depression anc autism.

Electrical Engineering

It depends on the course material that week tbqh senpai. I always try to NEVER study on Sunday though, I need at least one day.

But roughly 3-8 depending, with the days before tests reaching absurd 10-12 range unless I have to work.

cs, roughly 2-3 but I'm a freshman so take that with a grain of salt

Computer """""""SCIENCE"""""""""" not a SCIENCE

USA
Four days a week I am physically in classes for about six hours.

One day I only have one seminar and I spend the rest of the day in the lab. Depending on what I'm doing it might take and hour or it might take five or six.

One other day in the week I have two hours to spend in the lab, and I do that sometimes.

I sleep six or seven hours a night, and mostly if I'm not in class or lab I'm studying or doing some kind of work for classes or something related to my thesis.

Chemistry, USA

I am in classes about 3-4 hours a day (including transit time)

I study about 6-8 hours a day. I have good grades but I'm a bit of a brainlet so I need a ton of study time to learn concepts. I try to spend at LEAST an hour on each subject, with more time devoted to O-Chem.

I also spend about 5-8 hours a week in office hours.

I go to a top 10 public uni

Why does that matter? Engineering is respectable still.

It varies. Some days I study 8+ hours straight. Other days, an hour or two. Other days, I don't study at all. I'm NEET though so I don't require extreme discipline in my study habits at the moment. I think the ideal time frame spent studying would be approximately 5 hours a day.

Computer Engineering (currently undergrad)
8-9 hours every day excluded weekend. I can study on a saturday but only if I am not keeping it up. Sundays are all free time.

and that includes class time,
also I never buy course literature. That is just expensive and heavy

13-15
Doing my final exams in high school (im 18 cunts)
My last test is next Thursday and then I will be free
Hopefully doin some sort of engineering at uni next year haven't decided which one specifically.

>all the people in here studying the entire day
What the fuck are you doing? I hope to god you're talking about lectures and shit that you go to, class time, and not actual sitting down at the library studying.

If you seriously need to study more than 2 hours per day, you're doing something horribly wrong.

13-15 hours a day as a high school student? Doing something wrong bruh

i have 4 upper division physics classes, fuck off if you think you can absorb all that material in 2 hours of studying a day, i'm not Wildberger or anything m8

You must be in a soft science or liberal art, pleB

The average stem program will have 5 classes a semester. You should study at least an hr a day for each class you have, at minimum. I personally do 1.5 hrs of studying for every hour I'm in lecture

I'm in Math. It's okay if you think that's a soft science, I won't mind.

>You should study at least an hr a day for each class you have, at minimum.
I hope to god you have 1 hour lectures and you mean "each class you have on that given day". Otherwise, you're severely misinterpreting that piece of advice.

Sounds like you go to a pleb-tier uni.

Whaaaaaat 13-15 hours a day in high school? What country are you in?

You're kinda daft. Are you studying mathematics for elementary education?

The 1.5 hours comes out to 3 hours of studying for every lecture (avg 2hrs lecture) I attend. It's not necessarily all in one day, but definitely before the next.

I.e. That may be an hour before lecture reading material to be covered, an hour review after lecture, and an hour the next day on homework.

Most successful students I know follow this.

>You're kinda daft. Are you studying mathematics for elementary education?
It's just a generic Math degree. It feels like you're just trying to insult me because you don't want to consider the alternative?

I mean, I study according to my schedule and I do just fine. I'm never going to have a 4.0 GPA, but I manage a 3.5 with way less work than the other suckers, and I'm pretty much fine with that.

Are you sure that you're learning in the way that works best for you? Brute force "studying" is almost never actually an efficient way to learn, in my experience. The only workaholic people I know who actually manage to get good grades are "studying" 10+ hours per day. "Studying" because as far as I can tell, they spend 10 hours staring at a book and doing the same problems over and over, hoping that this will somehow force the knowledge into their heads.

I could understand occasional cram sessions, or doing extra work on weekends, but there should never be a NEED for more than 2 hours of studying per day. If you're on a scholarship or whatever and need to maintain an A+ average, that's different, since you're getting PAID to learn. But as a MINIMUM? No way.

>Most successful students I know follow this.
Did it ever occur to you that maybe successful students aren't successful because they study, but the other way around? Successful students study. They aren't successful because they study. It's just that successful people tend to be the types of people who also study.

And that doesn't even get into the whole can of worms that is testing from the textbook, dear lord. You aren't good at whatever you're doing just because you memorized how to do 50+ different types of problems over 30 hours of studying. I'm way more impressed at the guy who figures out how to do only 40 of those problems DURING the test. That's way more applicable in the real world. Projecting a little.

I do your studying, but 10x more, those "brute" force studying people are all idiots.

I do problems without memorizing so I can develop my the mental cortex that solves problems. Of course these are done for things that require application, things that need memorization which is alot I just memorize.
t. Medfag

I think the simplest explanation is that you're lying about something. Everyone in this thread but you is listing 4-6 hrs as their study time.

Probs in lower division and not taking a full load.

Australia, I graduated but the HSC exams are in the 4 weeks after graduation so I don't go to school I have all day off

FUCK. Australia, I graduated but the HSC exams are in the 4 weeks after graduation so I don't go to school I have all day off

About 1-2 hours a day.
I've got 1 of my exams next week but fuck it i'd rather browse /r9k/ and feel sorry for myself.

>Everyone in this thread but you is listing 4-6 hrs as their study time.
They're not listing their grades or how smart they are, though.

>the simplest explanation is that you're lying
It's seriously THAT complicated to you to consider that maybe you don't actually need to study as much as you think you do? Or at least that some people don't?

All that learning and you haven't read the literature regarding those meme sleep cycles ? No hope for u neets

Biotechnology
Like 1 hr/day

Math major. Generally I almost never study which is bad. It's usually cramming when I need to. GPA is 3.7.

shit, you people count classes as studying?
>get up 6 or 8 depending on when classes start
>eat, shower
>commute to uni, takes me about an hour
>never less than three classes (à 1.5h) a day, 3/5 days I have four classes a day
>30 min break in between the classes, need them to go from building to building
>almost no breaks, but if I happen to have one I use it for studying
>come home at 6-9
>study until 12
>go to bed
how can I improve, /sci?

Math and Comp Sci

Anywhere from 0-6. I never study outside course, just do my lectures and go home to cry

MD-PhD here
Until this year it was roughly 8 hours/day in class, and roughly 4-6 more hours at home

This year I took a break for my PhD so I work as much as I want (usually 9-10 hours per day)

>doesn't work
>has a home
nice one faggot.

Without classes, like 20 minutes a day.
Physics, GPA 4.0.

Like what the fuck is up with you people?

NEET

Math 1 hour

Fucking OCD man. I could study 23 hours per day and do maybe a couple of hours worth of work because 95% of the time my brain starts the imagination process and I lose it.

16 hours a day. Sometimes I can study/think in my dreams.

Medicine 2 hours max + classes 0-5 h / day.

are you me?

Also how to learn to give your very best? I always end up half-assing everything and feel sad about it.

math degree...
if you're freshman/sophomore life is easy as fuck, no reason to study
if you're upper division you maybe have 1 or 2 hard classes per semester (if any), so yeah, if you don't with to apply yourself and excel and are okay with getting by with good grades but no deep knowledge, then 2 hours a day sounds right

it's your major that allows you to get by without studying a lot. your theory about studying a lot not helping is total shit

Freshman Automatic Control

Mechanical Engineering

I pay attention during lectures, and do mandatory projects/labs. I cram about 8 hours before each exam. My average hasn't changed form 80% in 3years of university.

Do you >5 hour people go to work or have a social life? I'm not trying to be a dick, i'm seriously asking.

8 hours here, no, I have literally no social life. I can't remember the last time I went out with friends.
Come to think of it, I'm not close enough to anyone to go out with them.

>07:00 Get up
>08:15 Arrive at uni for classes
>17:00 Classes end (included a 1 hour lunch break)
>17:15 Get to work
>19:00 Leave work
>19:30 Get home
>Study until 01:00 or so

Typical day, I go out with friends on weekends or on days I don't work

fuck, thank god I'm not the only one. I'm ME too.
I was honest with my advisor about how much time I spend studying and she said I should be studying ATLEAST 3 hrs per 1 hr of class time.

I don't know what kind of Ivy League university you're in, but that sounds like bullshit. The recommended standard in my university is 1 hour at home per one hour at class for difficult subjects and 30 minutes at home per one hour at class for easier subjects

they count "sitting from x to y" as "studying"
"studying" is when you actively absorb, understand, and godforbid analyze or create new material.
20 mins is cool, i take about 1.5 hrs (comp eng undergrad)

>analyze or create new material
The amount of people on Veeky Forums who are active researches is surprisingly low. From polls in the past, it seems less than 10% are published. Most people here are undergraduate students, or just starting graduate school.
Personally I don't consider research as "studying", but it seems many people do.

Mechanical Engineering concepts are not typically difficult. They just require practice, which can be accomplished in like 8 hours for each course.

Chem engineering
0 hours
t. chem austist

8 if we count classes with maybe an hour or two on the weekend, around 10 minutes per day otherwise.

I have mastered the art of the micro-study. i use scratch paper to barf notes onto at lecture/when i'm doing homework. at the end of the week i trim everything down and put it neatly into a small notebook that i take with me EVERYWHERE.

when i got 10 minutes in line somewhere or i'm taking a shit or something, i read a page or two or go over a hard problem. it all adds up to about 2 hours a day, but it feels like zero.

i know guys who do the same thing, but they use their phones.

Literally never. I'll skim through the powerpoints every few weeks tho.

>Tfw I got an atar or 63.5 and got in as a mechanical engineer.
>But soon understand they let me in just because I will be in debt.

>literally never
>except sometimes

don't need to

studying is for brainlets lol

feels good being the only actual prodigy here

this though on a more serious note

This has me wondering, is there a pretty general consensus among MEs what the most difficult classes are?
Over here pretty much everyone agrees mechanics of materials, thermo 2 and fluids are the tougher classes, if not just for the sheer amount of work you have to do.

You really don't need to be doing that many hours. When I did VCE, I never spent more than 4 hours a day studying, and got a 94.2 ATAR (mostly dragged down by doing poorly on SAC's).

>Takes 30 minutes to get between buildings.
How big is your campus, holy fuck.

>never study, do just fine by keeping up with the homework
>this semester I get a math professor who almost never assigns homework
>"oh fuck yeah, this semester is gonna be so relaxed"
>get a C on my last exam, worth 25% of the grade
>in a panic trying to learn out how to study from the textbook AND catch up on old lectures for next exam on monday

I fucked up guys

This is me, but mathematical physics. Quizzes in 4 of 5 classes doesn't help either

I'm halfway through my 3rd year, and the courses I found hardest were Fluids 1 and Linear Algebra (back in first year)

>tfw 3 hour commute
>tfw so fucking tired every day I come home from school that I can't be assed to read or learn anything new

Computer Engineering Technology

Hardly any. Maybe 1-2 hours total per week.

Yeah but I didn't really study that much all year so I'm learning a lot of shit for the first time lmao

what the fuck? What uni did you go to? Usually the atar required is at least 80

move closer

fucking (c)loser, user.

join a lab and sleep there

well said
I disagree with your 2 hour rule, imo it's more like 3-4

I was the same (which is why I did poorly on SAC's). You really, really, really don't need more than 4-5 hours/day of studying. If you're studying longer than that, you're probably studying very inefficiently, and you likely aren't even learning much (studies suggest your knowledge retention after 4 hours of intense studying quickly drops off to near zero).
What subjects are you doing, out of interest?

Probably some shithole degree-mill like Deakin.

In terms of my actual course work I probably study 10 hours a week, however I study a lot more because I self study ahead of my classes. It's part of the reason why I get away with studying so little for my courses, because I have already done the bulk of the studying before the semester starts. For example I just finished self studying calc 3, but my math course is calc 2 right now. Serves me alright. Also sometimes I use my amphetamine script to study for 24+ hours straight. Honestly I could probably really do without the vyvanse and adderall binges to be honest. There are benefits, of course like being able to learn and apply math and physics concepts for long uninterrupted periods of time with minimal breaks. However the subsequent dopamine downregulation which results in unmotivation, depression and inability to focus lasts for a few days to a week afterwards and is a significant negative. I am probably gonna totally give up taking more than my prescribed dose soon, but it really does feel great to learn so much in such a little time. What I am doing now is miles better than taking it and masturbating for a long time, which is what I used to do.

English standard (honestly can't stand english)
Physics
Chemistry
Math advanced
Math Extension 1
Information Process Technology

I need around 90 to get into engineering at UNSW which seems doable but even if I don't get that UTS gives you like 5 bonus points and seems like a decent uni.

How do you fuckers do this. Please tell me. I dropped out of college in my third year last year because I was failing all of my classes. I just can not fucking study or put effort into anything without losing interest after 5 seconds. My parents want me to back saying I'll do better this time, but I know it's just going to be a repeat of last time. I'll go to class, take notes for 5 seconds before becoming unable to focus, I'll get anxiety looking around the room seeing everybody focusing but I can't, and then I end up physically sweating and looking nervous that I leave class early. Every fucking time. I do want to go back someday but I just can't fucking do it. Kill me.

I used to study about 12 hours a day. Will get back up to that soon; I'm on hiatus for health reasons. The way I did it was through giving myself a certain mindset where the math was enjoyable. That's it: you just pretend that you're having fun and it does. If you need, rock back and forth and tell yourself "I'm having fun" out loud. Not joking.

Can you manage to focus when you study by yourself? Studying in class isn't for everyone.
If you can't concentrate at all you may want to consider ADHD drugs

Take it slow. Just one class at a time, even. The important thing is not some much quantity of progress at first, but quality.

>Did I make progress today?
>Yes
>Did I feel like I barely did anything compared to others?
>Yes
>But did I do something?
>Yes
>Was it positive progress?
>Yes
>Good

Depression is a bitch. You're already down and it keeps kicking you. Just realize why you are doing something. Ultimately, if the motivation doesn't come from within, it will be much harder to achieve. Do what you love.

If you find yourself feeling like you are hopeless and can't love anything, don't give up. Take it SLOW, and just make progress.

The hardest part of anything is starting, but once the ball is rolling it's easier to keep it that way.