What happens after death? What is the consensus in the scientific community?

What happens after death? What is the consensus in the scientific community?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IHn7qUVn-w0
youtu.be/mMRrCYPxD0I?t=47s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe
youtube.com/watch?v=ecLpOnpHaZw
youtube.com/watch?v=cB-uO9xE20c&feature=youtu.be&t=466
twitter.com/AnonBabble

conciousness ceases as if you were going to sleep but forever.

>Science is my religion.

It's more like how you felt before you were born. Lots of things happen when you sleep such as dreams and sudden feelings of chemicals being released from your body, so I wouldn't say it's like sleeping.

My theory is that you enter some sort of 'database' and are reincarnated.

To tell you the truth, the thought of death scares the shit out of me. I prefer not to think about it.

There's actually a surprisingly large amount of evidence for reincarnation

Truth is, no one fucking knows until the day they take their last breath.

Although there was that one dude on Reddit who said he died and woke up as if from a sleep.

You don't know what the word "theory" means.

Sweet dreams of death.

Science is materialist. So consciousness is the product of material. When that material's structure is changed (by death) it no longer produces consciousness.

Yes, I do, in a non-scientific way.

There's a difference between the common use of the word and the scientific use of the word.

And on a science board, which do you think might be the best one to use?

Arent there people who like were "dead" for some time, like thyre heart stopped, that tell about how it was like a dream like state?

Lots of spooky near death experiences are because ketamine was used as an anesthetic at accident sites and on battlefields, because it doesn't need breathing support.

I've taken near anesthetic levels of ketamine, it's a quasi religious experience.

you're literally on a board based entirely around science, who the fuck do you think you are?

much like being knocked unconscious. But then you die, rigor mortis, then decomp begins almost immediately.

>conciousness ceases as if you were going to sleep but forever

Really? I didn't know the whole Universe ceases existing after the death of individual life.

if you were good you get to go to heaven, but if you were bad you go to hell
this is common knowledge user

The body is decaying, but that was observed since prehistoric times.

Mainly the observation act ends - the stream of memories end, like you know how you have no memories before approx age of 3 - because the neurons are not melanized, then the memories you have from that early moment - you barely have a personality - you're just an observer ready to be shaped into anything - genes play the most of your behavior at that point.

So your identity journey begins with memories and since that age of 3 you're almost an interrupted stream of recording, storing of memories.

It's obvious that that stream is dependent on neurons - after death they start to decay so your memories, your personality and everything is gone at that point - but also that other thing, the act of observation will be gone since it was also a phenomena of the brain - but don't worry because the exact same phenomena is going to be experienced by your kids, so it will go on as long as humanity survives.

Your brains turns off and your body starts to decompose.

My fear is that we become stuck in our last thought once the brain dies, at least until the brain decomposes.

That alone is reason enough to make sure I die a peaceful death, or better yet, an instant one I don't expect or see coming.

Do not watch Enter the Void.

before i was born, i did not exist

before i die, i do exist

quit it with the "lol its lile pre birth" meme, pre-birth and post-death are two totally different "stages"

Did you eve noticed that when you sleep, time went by quickly. This is because it take awhile for the conscious brain to shut down. Your brain's consciousness than boots far late in the sleep and thus you perceive 8hrs or more as moments or almost an hour.

The time in between just before sleep and brain booting (time you can not perceive) is the closets thing to experience death (minus any potential dreams), without actually dying.

This is because when you die, you brain truly shuts down forever. All perceptions (even darkness) cease to exist to you, because it was your brain that perceived it as such.
youtube.com/watch?v=IHn7qUVn-w0

Afterwards, you will be recycled by nature to feed bacteria, bugs, and whatever else consumes you; even your brain. This has been the natural order since the very beginning of life, and will likely remain for all of time to come.

Source?

>le after death there's an ever lasting void meme

Y'all motherfuckers need Alan Watts
youtu.be/mMRrCYPxD0I?t=47s

Reminder that even asking this question means you already believe in an immaterial "identity" construct. You cannot be a materialist and ask this.

I don't believe. I know.

The bacteria in your body begins to eat away at your flesh. After enough time passes, external microrganism and bugs begin to eat away at your flesh until your reduced to bone. The process is somewhere along those lines anyway.

t. user's belief

What if I'm cremated?

Your conciousness stops existing the moment you die so you do too

>All these people saying you'll be going to sleep forever
>Implying you won't wake up from the powerful chemical illusion that is """"existence""""
Prove me wrong cunts. You can't because you can't even prove you existed in the first place.

everything begins and ends in the mind
in death the mind rots

dead is dead

You were dead from the Big Bang until a couple months before birth. Just before you were born your brain finally finished constructing yourself and "you" came to exist. At the moment of your death your brain starts to decompose and deconstruct, and in that moment you cease to exist. Thus you return to your pre-birth state.

That's literally what faith is though, believing in something to make it true, or at least true to you. Which I suppose is all that matters at the end of the day.

Just by describing "nothingness", you already make it into somethingness

when you walk out of a movie theater does the movie keep playing? Who knows? You don't because you left the theater.

>wake up
That's some existence-based vernacular there buddy

this shit is really depressing. if this is the human condition (and i believe it is) why do we revile it so much. why aren't we adapted to accept this nothingness and go about are lives. why is the thing must fundamental to our nature so horrible to us

most fundamental to our nature not must. also i know some people are going to say because if we are adapted to avoid death we will be better at advancing the species. but we can't we both accept death and also have instinct to survive

Because it's not true. "Identities" are a product of language and do not actually exist.

Imagine falling asleep and never waking up or dreaming.

i don't follow. are you saying had language not been invented no entity would ever even consider itself alive

why do you feel the need to restate something that has already been said several times in this thread

It means that applying a label to something doesn't mean it's a thing in itself. An "individual" does not exist, and so the premise of OP's question makes no sense. Whatever people think they see, I can guarantee that it doesn't require throwing out science to explain.

I hate death and I can't accept this.
Every fucking night, at some point I think about it and I have done that every since I was 8 years old.

I am 21 now, and I just can't get over it that I will one day die. The only thing that works, that get me to continue living is to repress these thought of death by studying and competing or just watching movies.
So fuck you op, you made me feel agony again...

i know this fucking feel.
you and me are kindred spirits

This thread literally makes me want to die

Even if we do somehow become immortal, the Universe will end one day

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe

> There is a growing consensus among cosmologists that the universe is flat and will continue to expand forever.

Then escape to a new one. Create white holes to bring in energy. Master space-time and go back in time or exist outside of it. New options that aren't currently available and require more information.

Absolute worst feeling ever, especially when you have dwelled on this existential question for fucking years, every fucking day.

Why can't I be like this guy?
youtube.com/watch?v=ecLpOnpHaZw
(watch 40 seconds in)

Or why can I be like those people in the columbine shootout that managed to pull the trigger? How the hell can they accept death?
youtube.com/watch?v=cB-uO9xE20c&feature=youtu.be&t=466

Every human has asked this existential question, a friend of mine said that it was wonderful that death was just us ceasing to exist and decomposing. How the hell is that wonderful? How can he think like that? Why can't I be like him and stop having this death agony?

My life is under average it is not that my life is good or anything I just like living. If were to lose my sight,my ability to hear, my smell and my ability to feel and walk while still having my rational thinking I would be happy to live, even though I would feel lonely, alone in my own thoughts breathing through a respirator (without even knowing it). I mean, in my thoughts I could potentially just derive all math and prove stuff. Perhaps figure out the P=NP problem just in my mind, without the ability to read, smell, feel or hear.

I do pray, but I pray 'just in case' god actually exists but, it does not calm me knowing that people who doubt god's existence go to hell. However, I myself think that going to hell is better than everything going to dark. Because when I come to hell, it is at that point I will know all the meaning of life and its purpose and that god exists. I rather burn in eternity than experiencing this "it was like before you were born". Fuck that shit!!! I want to know what happens to universe, I want to know if we gonna colonize space, if humanity manages to use teleportation.

Fuck this thing..the only thing every human has in common.

You must not be suffering that much if it's not enough to make you give up your ignorance and accept that humans aren't special.

But I can't convince myself that we aren't special.
It's an irrationaly agony and an irrational unjustifiable fear of death. I just can't cope with the thought of ceasing to exist.

I hate the fact that I am just here waiting to die, it's actually the same reason why I have been driven into reading science because it is through science we can get to know god or if he does exist.

desu I get through life by remembering that the universe/what created it is illogical and either miraculously appeared from nothing, has been around forever, or has an endless cycle of creation behind it. Option 3 WOULD make sense but it wouldn't make sense that suddenly this is the part of the endless cycle that just suddenly "ends", like a heat death or some shit.

Seek help from a psychologist.

No, you wouldn't be able to have both those traits or lots of people wouldn't mind dying.

If God is real, do you think he'd appreciate you only praying to him "just in case"?

The idea of my body decomposing freaks me out desu

scientific consensus is that your brain rots and with it your consciousness, memories, identity, everything that makes you you
so you just cease to exist

over a decade of experiences in occult practices however made me sure this is not the case, but only for individuals who manage to develop their spirit enough to continue living on a non-physical plane

sadly however pretty much no one is going to achieve it and because of that, we indeed cease to exist, beginning on the physical level and later "dissolving" in the spiritual world

so honestly just enjoy your physical life as long as you can because you are not getting more than that anyway, unless you believe some transhumanist crap like uploading your mind into a computer or whatever

also keep in mind I can't prove it because of the limitations of scientific method and the very nature of spiritual shit being non physical, so you can tip your fedora and call all of this bullshit
because it could very well be as it wouldn't change the fact that we as individual beings will cease to be after physical death

>There's actually a surprisingly large amount of evidence for reincarnation
What a fucking tool.

>Yes, I do, in a non-scientific way.
>There's a difference between the common use of the word and the scientific use of the word.
Actually, no. Just because some people use it incorrectly to mean "something I pulled out of my ass just now" doesn't make that correct.

If you'd care to detail what phenomena your "theory" explains and how then maybe you can call it such.

Stop being such a pussy. Although I was like you for quite a while, get the fuck over yourself. Move past your ego and stop being so self centered. You're not important and neither am I. The sooner you accept that the sooner you'll be free from the anxiety caused by you writing so much what will happen to YOU.

>writing
Worrying*

I pointed that out...
>"but, it does not calm me knowing that people who doubt god's existence go to hell"

But how do you know that?
You will never know it nor prove it. with the existence of life you will at least get to know it.

None of your fucking business.

I know I am not important lol.
I don't want to cease to exist and I repress this by continue living and not thinking about it. But everytime I am reminded I freak out. Don't you freak out aswell? If not, well good for you!

"grow up"
If it was that easy I would, you can't just tell your brain not to be afraid, you can't just make yourself be happy.

I used to worry about death since I was 6 or something. I went to a psychiatrist when I was 20 and got fixed with sertraline in 2 months lol

>What happens after death?
No one knows.

>t. creationist

People explained well what happens to your body in this thread. However I'll tell you what happens to your consciousness.

Before your brain shuts off, it still operates for a few minutes. In that arc of time, DMT is released by your amygdala. Your perception of time dilates and those 7-15 minutes become an eternal lucid dream. What happens inside of it depends on your personal experiences, memories and beliefs. People who claim they see "afterlife" in a near-death experience simply experienced their own make-believe phenomenon.

Since you didn't exist before and there was no existential crisis - know that you'll return to that state after death, no more problems, no more thinking about death.

It's like your dead already - this existence is just death living for a whole for no absolute reason because it's returning to nothingness in the end

Just give your existence some meaning - the way I think about it - is that I landed up in a shitty world, and now If I weight the responsibility of the world on my shoulders and I try to clean as much mess around me as possible I know the next one after me is going to get into a little better world - so that thought it's satisfying enough.

Imagine that moment, maybe when you're old, maybe when you're just middle aged with some kind of disease, or maybe even in a car crash or some kind of accident.
You can feel that your body is finally giving in, and in that final moment as you grasp onto the only reality you've ever known you try in vain to find any rational reason to believe that in a few minutes your mind will still exist.
we'll all be in that moment someday

why does it no longer produce consciousness? your body changes all the time.

you seriously need to learn to relax and let go. it's not easy but it'll help you.

that depends what god you believe in, who says Catholic is the only alternative to atheist?

Fugg

My brain will not allow me to try to think of what eternal unconsciousness would be like. I literally can't imagine it.

Do you have a source for this? I find this conclusion strangely satisfying, like it answers a lot of questions I had.

I like this
framing it in terrestrial logic is a habit that needs to stop

I'm just happy to be here

>die
>experience nothing
>big crunch
>13.7 billion years later
>you're back

make your life good, its yours forever

> people think you experience nothing

isn't "experiencing nothing" an oxymoron?

i just cant wrap myself around how you can fall into a state of no observations and nothingness

i can digest that conscious is believed to be a product of the brain, but its "nothingness" that bugs me, it makes no logical sense

id be OK with this if we can take memories from the past existence to the next one, so i know how to not screw up

Probably whatever happens before you're born.

Most people are terrified of words like "integration" or "assimilation" because their thinking is tethered to Materialism even when they contemplate Spiritual matters, and think that they entail being a cog in the duodenum of the Eschaton. But it seems like Individuality outgrown rather than taken away after Material Death.

watts was an amazing philosopher

one of the only ones who could successfully motivate people while getting materialists butthurt

Can definitely relate. Find God

Watched this on shrooms and MDMA. Would NOT recommend EVER. Just the intro music fills me with dread.

My take is that your consciousness just drifts into nothingness. You're basically asleep but you don't dream at all. We're no different if you step an ant and wonder what happens to them after they die.

>What happens after death? What is the consensus in the scientific community?

There isn't a consensus, because it would be completely unobservable, and thus, not science.

your consciousness is literally made up of blood, tissue and amino acids. stop trying to make this mystical. you die and your brain rots. that's it. forever.

It better be SQL. SQL is the only database worth giving a shit about

It's like none of you have even seen a shadow person. Or had an old dog come back to visit.
Death of the body is not necessarily the death of the spirit. How do we know when we're being watched?
Science just doesn't have all the answers yet.

delete yourself

Then why did you bump it?
"Literally" go fuck yourself.

We live in 1 of an infinite number of universes, I think.

Each universe is or can be different, and has its own set of laws.

Some universes have all powerful gods, some have nothing, some expire in an instant and some never expire.

All existences are available.

Did you get born into a universe which terminates life at death?

Or is this a universe with an afterlife?

Or is this a universe with reincarnation?

Or will 'you' be re-born as another experience in another universe, or the same universe, just out of sheer requirement that all living things have sentience and need to be 'experiencing'

That is, if you and I are sentient.

>DELETE FROM LIFE WHERE IQ

You leave.

Source?

The conscious experience after death is indeterminant. It may not exist at all, it maybe a number of experiences.

It was very clear in the context. Get your foot out of your ass.

Actually, that's exactly what DOES make it correct.
That's how language works, fuckwad.