What are some Veeky Forums video games...

What are some Veeky Forums video games? I'm looking for games that actually require thought and are intellectually/mathematically interesting in some way.

>inb4 fuck off, there are none, video games are for children
I agree, the vast majority are. But, there are some diamonds in the rough.

Other urls found in this thread:

thetagames.itch.io/trafficworlds
the-reincarnation.com/
projecteuler.net/archives
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

kerbal
anything else from the spacechem dev

Factorio

Chess :^)

fuck off, there are none, video games are for children

We just had this thread.

Wait, recently?

I remember one a month or two ago.

Just watched the trailer for this, looks awesome.

It's a really unique game. The whole point is automation, and this makes it unique.

Every other game wants the player to micromanage shit (at least on some level). Factorio's point is that it is encouraged (actually, completely mandatory) to automate everything.

Reminds me of the city building games of back in the day (Zeus, Pharaoh, Caesar). I sunk years into those games.

Downloading for sure, thanks.

Universe sandbox?

Go.

Manufactoria is a free flash game created by pleasingfungus games. It's kind of like infinifactory, but its more related to turing machines. Shit is actually hard af and ive never beat it.

Dwarf Fortress

Dark Souls

Inb4 that faggot from /agdg/ starts samefagging about his pedogame again

You mean that glorious simulation?

You are talking about that game where you drive van around town or one with realistic piss puddles?

Shenzhen I/O for microcontroller nerds

This and spacechem are the most intellectually stimulating games I've ever played

I finished my traffic management game:

thetagames.itch.io/trafficworlds

awesome,trying it now

Thanks, hope you enjoy it!

I like it, theres 2 things its missing though, color gates that work for 2 or 3 color , or alternatively anti-color gates that block only 1 color, and also some way to make a double lane without having cars move between them arbitrarily, a gate that lets cars only move E->W, or W->E would work. other than that its a pretty addictive game

Played the fuck out of dienworlds and this looks interesting. But is this only going to be a browser game?

Www.thereincarnation.com its a fantasy nation building army management turn based wargame, very math intensive, steep learning curve, hasnt changed in 20years. No ads. Im addicted to this game.

The resource, army, turn management, is intense considering the in depth meta of keeping your lands from other mages, there are 5 magic disciplines to reincanate your mage as. Ascendant, verdant, nether, eradication, and phantasm. The goal is to be in the top 10 of netpower at armageddons end, and armageddon comes once a month on fast servers and every other month on regular servers. Must have autism to succeed here folks.

desu you sound like a shill, but I might try it out
It's the-reincarnation.com/ btw

yeah this board is slow. "recent" means if you can remember it clearly. its bullshit i know but whatever

Speedrunning Half-Life.

Glad you liked it. I do find it pretty addicting, too.

I've given thought to all of those suggestions, actually. Anti-gates (lol) or multi-color gates would be easy to implement, but with the current hotkey selection system, it might get very cumbersome to select all of those possibilities. If I decide to expand the game to include those elements (which I'm always open to do), I would probably have to write some sort of menu system to select them.

As for one-way gates, that's actually significantly more difficult. The code does A* where squares on the grid are either "on" or "off." To adapt the code for directed graphs (which is what one-way gates would entail) would require a big generalization.

I can make a Windows build of it, actually. Probably Linux and OSX, too, but I have no easy way to test them.

I might put a .zip with the windows .exe on the itch.io site sometime soon.

this

Nothing to shill desu, old game, no ads, the problem is there are 100 or so people who are actually good at it. The guilds and team play add a huge facet to the game play. I play mainly lightning server, and its reincarnating tomorrow.

Fish Fillets - Next Generation

Im getting so much roadrage with this

Everything was going fine untill some asshole in a purple car decided to go against the flow of red cars to take some detour, that caused a gridlock wich i had to manually get rid of with extra red and green roads, then that caused a massive gridlock in the topleft with blue purple and yellow cars. guess thats game over.

some more suggestions:
1) sometimes at the beginning of the game a color home/office will spawn and be the only one of that color for days, maybe add some check so that if a single color is in the world the next one will be of the same color.
2) completely inaccessible homes sometimes spawn, in my pic top right the green home spawned at the '6' of the money. and theres no way to connect it to anything.
3) add ability to drag create gates like you do roads

>on steam available (even on linux)
KSP for rocketry!
factorio ("mass production" the game)
portal series (requires some spacial awareness, hard chambers and community chambers are a good brain tease
>small downloadable
powder toy

>browswer based
For actually really tricky puzzles projecteuler.net/archives
Chess: lychess.org
alternatively try to max out some stuff on khanacademy.org
or
codecademy.org

alternatively:
STUDY
alternativly:
READ
alternativly:
DO SPORTS

Why does this thread keep getting posted

>As for one-way gates, that's actually significantly more difficult
if you mean my E->W, or W->E example, I didnt mean one way, i mean 2 way instead of 4 way, so S and N is completely blocked, but it can move W E like a normal road.

Khan Academy

pic is the creator Khan himself

I ragequit SpaceChem a while toward the end of the ice planet, but I just picked it up again and have been making progress. I've been getting the achievements too, they're far harder than the main puzzles.

The Talos Principle (pic related) is pretty fun and can get fairly challenging later on, especially the optional puzzles, especially in the DLC. Nowhere near as difficult as the games by Zachtronics, but still some a fun game.

Also that game The Witness was pretty popular when it came out, I'm not sure how that is.

stephen's sausage roll
good luck finishing a single level

TIS-100
Get ready to efficiently program microprogram those memory modules, fucker

>$30
Wat?

just pirate it

I'm more wondering why such a goofy, shoddy-looking babby's-first-3D game with such a basic description costs that much.

Finally, I was afraid about sci soul.

TIS-100 is really mentally challenging and most of all it has it's own synthax which allows experimentation.

This game won't properly fit in my screen. Is there a way to fix this?

>that hardest difficulty setting

>48 posts in
>STILL hasn't been posted
come on people

that guy was here for the last Veeky Forums games thread
he's actually still working on that game

Super Mario 64.
[spoiler]For a non-meme answer, try Infinifactory if you want a nice engineering puzzle game.[/spoiler]

I thought the witness was actually kind of fun and engaging. A lot of people seem to hate the shit out of it though.

Wow, that's quite the jam.

Yeah, a nasty gridlock can definitely mean "game over." Personally, I'm okay with this, as I like the planning involved to prevent them (and even if you do make a mistake and a jam happens, I like the challenge of trying to mitigate it).

I've actually updated to a new version, which includes some of your suggestions. For one, the houses won't spawn in inaccessible locations anymore. Secondly, if a new business spawns, the next spawn will be a house of the same color.

I also put up a standalone Windows executable download.

Thank you for your suggestions!

I think this would pose the same problem with the pathfinding as one-way streets. Still, this is something to think about for a generalization.

I love it although I really think that it would be nice if you could have shorter traffic cycles, and one way traffic lights to make roads one way

I'm also so close to solving this traffic jam but I am on a time limit, I do not know if I can make enough money to be in the green by the next maintenance

forgot pic

nvm I failed because I came 50$ short on week 18 and accidentally deleted a road that made it impossible for me to get any purple past the green line

>shorter traffic cycles
Do you mean that the houses spawn cars at a faster rate? Early versions of the game actually had this, but it soon became far too difficult to prevent congestion, even in the early-game. I'd rather that occur much later in the game, after lots of houses are connected (to encourage players to make a good layout).

As for one-way traffic lights, it is difficult to implement now given how the pathfinding works. But, it would always be something to consider for the future.

Thank you for the kind words.

Oh, that's a shame. You had a good run, though - week 18 is pretty good. I purposefully made the game relatively quick to "mature," so it encourages players to just try again if they "lose" like that.

by shorter traffic cycles I mean the ability to make the traffic lights cycle/change quicker

Just going to leave this here.

Ahhh. Yes, there's a minimum period to them, which can be doubled, tripled, etc. (but not made shorter).

I chose that period because it seemed to be the minimum that made the intersection still seem useful. What situation were you in that you thought might be better with a shorter cycle?

The situation I ran into is where there was a single car-producing square that had to cross over a major road that carried 4x a different color directly to its end point, and it would be far more useful in my eyes to have a quick switch so that one car could slip through and not clog the entire artery just for itself.

now that I think about it, having a stoplight that had a different time for each direction could be useful. Using the situation I had in my post, I could make it so the direction the single car was coming from had a short duration but the major road had a long duration.

Yeah, you can extend the time that a stoplight waits at green at a specific state.

When the stoplight is green on the side you want to allow for a longer time, ctrl-click it. A little "2x" should appear on the bottom, indicating that the intersection will wait for twice the time at that state as in the other state. ctrl-clicking again would make it 3x, and so forth.

what about variable durations, I already knew about lengthening duration

Oh, I think I see now. In your situation, you would want the duration for the really sparse lane to be less than the default, since only 1-2 cars need to go through.

Yes, this is definitely something to consider.

yeah it would be very useful in my opinion, for example I bet I could have it so there was no traffic jams in my current longest game in pic related, I am still going strong cash-wise. I am going to see what the upper limit is before it breaks down

I removed the top of that long yellow road as it caused a lot of traffic in the blue and green roads

I have finally gone into the negative for the first time, it is week 31, day 1, my flow ratio has dropped from 49% to 39% within 2 days

Nice setup. Yeah, if you aren't continually connecting more houses, the maintenance fee will eventually catch up and drive your profits down.

I wonder what the theoretical maximum number of weeks would be, as it isn't possible to connect houses indefinitely (given the limited space).

I think the highest I will get to is day 1 of week 34, after that I doubt I'll be able to overcome the maintenance cost

yeah I fell completely under by like $100, here is the final result

after finishing this run I think that having the option to have a much larger (or much smaller) map size could be very fun. I definitely will play this game a lot in the future regardless, it is great.

>Veeky Forums vidya thread
>OP pic is always Spacechem

I'm glad you like it.

Earlier in the development, I messed around with larger map sizes. I actually didn't like it much, as it removed a lot of the "space management" aspects of the game. Also, the grid and cars were really small and hard to keep track of.

But I would certainly consider offering some variation in map size.

My Summer Car

I've figured out that putting two one-way traffic lights at different timings can severely reduce the volume squares output and thus reduce traffic, which helps greatly as you progress because the main thing that kills you in the end is the absurd volume of cars coming through from individual squares, not a lack of cars. Using that I managed to get to week 40 before I was just unable to cover maintenance

I've also figured out that making it so each color is effectively on its own line like a train system rather than a street system makes things last longer and be more efficient

this

this is fucking great, I should be studying but managing traffic is so much more fun. Keep adding to this this is great.

Am I Veeky Forums yet?

half life has a weird effect on inspiring me to study harder, something about wearing a lab coat and opening a portal to a zombie apocalypse makes me want to be a scientist in real life

Any suggestions for ones that aren't time-sensitive? I need something I can pick up and doesn't require perfect reaction time.

A shitty example would be 2048. I cannot think of anything else

Cheese

Tekkit

Do people still play it?

Mathdoku

Is there a download for this?

Bought it thanks to you. I got a binder and everything. One of the best thinking games ive played

Interesting. I've had success myself by (carefully) mixing colors on the same roads. It uses less roads than your kind of setup, but might have worse flow ratio.

Thank you. Yeah, there have been suggestions of stuff to add, and if can think of a good way to add them (and anything else I think of), I would consider it.

yeah flow ratio starts to get essential, you want to stay at around 50% or more once you get really late. while covering most tracks with the color-only thing can cost you a little ($25) when you need to make a new track cross over an old one, it is worth it because it ensures nothing goes where it isn't supposed to, which in the end is worth more than $25 which the safety makes up for in the end because you don't lose money by having backup

Good point. Maintenance is based on the number of roads, too, though, so it's not just the one-off fee of building the road.

Still, it seems like you had success with that strategy.

such an autistic game. Why did they have to make one of those weeb interactive novels out of microcontrolers of all things.

really you can do all that shit IRL, nothing is stopping you.

I want to play space engineers but I don't have the time

I have an old version if you actually want it.
I don't think he has released an update in a while so it might be the newest one we have.

yeah but its dubious to which one is better, I'm sure its quantifiable through calculations but I have no desire to do it as I prefer to prefect my method anyway. My goal is to reach 52 weeks (a year)

How the fuck do you get into chess? I'm a pretty intelligent person, but I'm a brainlet when it comes to chess. I can barely beat the computer on the easiest setting.

Read a book about chess strategy.

yes, learn strategies, but also:
learn to read moves in a advance. you'll have to train your eyes see uncovered pieces possible moves after your move and shit.

that's exactly what I can't do either haha..