Do you tip your cashier?

Do you tip your cashier?

How about those awkward times when you're in line but have no items to buy? Do you tip then?

Why would you be in line if you have nothing to buy?

At the chain I worked at I couldn't accept tips or I'd be fired. I worked hard and tried my best but nope, if you take $5 from a tourist and don't put it in the charity box you are shitcanned

Now I work for an indie pharmacy and in the summer I got a few tips, often because I was cordial and women were reminded of their grandchildren or sons when they spoke to me. Probably just projecting, I dunno

Anyway no I don't tip the cashiers but I bag for the express lane warriors because $9.50 an hour after three years there fucking stinks

Is that Bill Cosby?

Rule number one is never get in line with a male cashier. Rule number two is to choose someone who appears to speak English.
Rule three is pick someone cute, if that's even an option.
If none of these is an option, just go for whoever looks competent, and make sure there no old people in front of you who intend to pay with a check or cash and exact change.

>Why would you be in line if you have nothing to buy?
In some shops you can't go out if you are not in a line since the doors are oneway..

>Rule number one is never get in line with a male cashier
>Rule three is pick someone cute, if that's even an option.

funny I have the same rules...

Going through the grocery line once a day isn't mandatory where you live? How do you purchase foods and goods?

You are literally retarded. Rule number one is never get queue for a fat woman checkout operator. Rule number two is never queue with a fat woman customer in front of you.

Fat women, for some reason, love chatting to people, probably because they're so lonely. It makes the whole fucking operation take 5x as long.

I've had this happen more a few times. I'll buy two or three routine items, and while waiting in line I'll add them up in my head, then add the sales tax. They ring up the stuff, announce the price, and I immediately hand them the exact amount. Sometimes they look at me as if I'm some sort of three-eyed alien.

At my local supermarket the men are by FAR faster than the women cashiers. They're not attractive, but who cares? That's what the internet is for.

>Sometimes they look at me as if I'm some sort of three-eyed alien.
rainman???

I'd rather stare at some fatty cleavage and a girl with a potentially cute face and long hair than say "hey" to some dude. Its probably the closest I get to a female all week, so my priorities are as such.

>the closest I get to a female all week
you had to go back in cell every evening? Just out for a day?

I don't know about other regions, and I'm not being a /pol/tard, but here in a suburb of memphis avoid getting behind black women. Invariably their friends or cousins or nephews have given them money to buy some stuff seperately. So one person ends up being 4 seperate transactions because they're too stupid to just divide the bill at home. It happens every fucking time.

>Rule number one is never get in line with a male cashier
This but mostly because I look like a grungy troll and for whatever reason male cashiers want to chat me up, while female cashiers keep a dead silence.
I just want to buy my fucking eggs and go home, I don't want to make small talk about what I did for christmas.
Which was eat eggs.

>I'm not being a /pol/tard, but here in a suburb of memphis
i'm not even a burger, but somehow i'm willing to believe you everything you'd be saying after this. seriously, there seem to be some places in the US where stereotypes are born. and i think memphis, tennessee may be on of those places
sage for not Veeky Forums related

>saged not Veeky Forums related

You fucking dipshit the thread is about supermarket lines. I was giving my experience. Fwiw, I've given recipes and talked about food and beverage prep in a number of threads, just today. Have you?

>So one person ends up being 4 seperate transactions because they're too stupid to just divide the bill at home. It happens every fucking time.
So? Just push the items through the scanner and ask for the amount shown on the screen.

>How about those awkward times when you're in line but have no items to buy
Why the fuck would you be standing in line if you're not buying anything?

>the thread is about supermarket lines
well yes, you're right about the thread. it is related. i'm working as a cashier as well, that's why i'm in here. i saged because my reply was rather /pol/. it was not about the thread. sorry if i didn't make my self clear enough. and yes, i'm posting in about three or four food related threads right now, depending on their activity

>saged
wait, did you really type that instead of just highlighting and hitting the post number? how new are you?

> tip your cashier

Where in this world does that ever happen?

damn bill cosby escaped from prison and is working as a cashier now?
what a world.

No where

If you couldn't tell by the second line of OP, this is a shitpost thread

no cause i know they get a decent wage here in germany.

>decent wage here in germany
it depends on the place. there's enough super markets that only pay minimum wage (netto etc). gladly, at my store i earn 10€

>working nights in 7Eleven
>pretty free reign
>can accept tips and drink as much coffee or hot chocolate we want so long as we don't overdo it
>rarely ever drank any
>retard steals from the register
>since then no fun allowed
>no tips
>only one cup of coffee and we have to punch it in and print it out and write our name on it
>all the strippers still wanna keep tipping me and i can't accept it

I'm still mad.

>retard steals from the register
those people should be banned from having any other job ever again. i worked at fast food joints and super markets. you just know you can't trust them with anything, not even the most simple jobs. fuck them. they make everything worse for everybody

why do people even work at supermarkets and fast food joints desu

factory work is less stressful (no dealing with customers for example) and pays better
and still doesn't require any skill

New Hampshirite here. I tip the cashier at least 25% of the bill.

fast food and super market jobs often have shorter hours per day than factory which is typically 8.5 hours a day. this is beneficial for college students and other people who need a few hundred bucks per month but can not work full hours (like moms earning a few bucks while the kids are at school) . that's why you'll often be served by part timers at fast food or at the register. seriously, while i was a part timer in college i had shifts where every employee was either in college or just a middle aged mom.
but don't ask me why some people do these jobs in full time. i don't really understand it either. they seem to have just completely given up on live or just don't understand that they could do much better if they even tried just a little bit. it's bizarre
after all these years, i have no sympathy left for people who do these wage slave jobs for more than one or two, let alone more than ten years. if they're too stupid to get a good job, they shouldn't be surprised if customers treat them like dirt. that's basically all that they are at that point.

but i want to ask everybody a favor: don't be arrogant to your server/ cashier at McD or aldi or whatever, it may actually be a college student or a mother just having to make a few bucks on the side!

He thinks sage is some kind of insulting downvote. How new do you think he is?

You just go around the lines you absolute autist. Holy shit...

>reading comprehension
that isn't even my point and i don't know how to reply to your post right now
look closely: sage vs saged
he actually typed that reply instead of highlighting. are you trolling me right now?

>Do you tip your cashier?
Never. Cashiers have to watch they're not a thief. So, no money shorts or overages. They're on camera. Someone doing more than a cash register (like the dude at the register at starbucks, is serving a sandwich, helping you make choices, doing some giftcard stuff, and other "service" things rather than just taking your money.

I shop at Publix. I always try to tip the car walker bagperson, but they often refuse the tip (store policy is firm). But lately they are told not to argue with customers, so if you insist they relent.

Try to avoid doing this in certain supermarkets. Got a write up and my boss confiscated my tip when he found out.

Basically someone left a paper cup somewhere near my register and people kept putting money in it. It was only about 1.50ish by the time he found out but man he was pissed.

Apparently its "bad form" or something like that.

This is the dumbest thread I've seen on here in awhile. And that's saying something with all this fast food spam shit.

surely you can't be serious
no, seriously, there was some dude posting his shitty toilet bowl (seriously literally) and proclaiming it a soup thread

Now THAT is shitposting.

About ten years ago the tip jars appeared at my local grocery store. They're for the baggers who may or may not be paid minimum wage (owner is a jew).

That was around the time I started using my credit card religiously, because I didn't want to get the evil eye for not putting my spare change in the tip jar. Joke's on them, I get the kickbacks from my card company subsidized by the cash suckers.

exactly what i was saying

Because they're too stupid to figure out how to do that.
They literally can't figure out how to bill everything at once and then look at the receipt and think "Okay Aunt Shaneesha wanted the eggs, the cheese, and the milk so that's this much...Brother Tayshawnaweesha wanted some eggs too and the cocoa puffs and a gallon of milk....My mama Wanteesha-malopika-typo-insawana-feet-finna-carjack wanted a bottle of bubbly so here's that..."
They make the cashier ring each 'order' individually so they can pay for them up front instead of learning how to count

Everybody I knew on the east coast as a teenager always shat on people for being "racist" about these stereotypes until they worked retail
Now every single one of them says "I dont want to sound like a nazi but those stereotypes are 100% true"

>falls into the jew trap of cash back for debt

Good goi.

Wow

This was exactly my point. I grew up in a midwestern liberal household and moved to the south for work. But when you live with it day in and day out, perceptions change. I have other stories that of course I won't go into here, but they have relevance.

For anyone confused here:

People do not tip cashiers in America.

This is a meme.

>I dont want to sound like a nazi but those stereotypes are 100% true
now that's exactly the thing. stereotypes don't just form from thin air, there is always a reason why they're existent, but most people don't want to realize it. unless they're joking with their friends when they're drunk, then it's okay. but just don't, never, ever say these things in a serious way!
fuck political correctness

just the tip

where do you live where groceries are taxed?

>where do you live where groceries are taxed?
are you retarded or just a really shitty troll?

t. European
Tipping your cashier ensures even and properly weighted distribution of your groceries to make sure no soft foods get crushed (bread, eggs, etc) and heavy foods are multi-bagged to prevent rips.

Some states don't have grocery taxes. Texas is one of them iirc.

the other 45 states that have tax on food

> there are states in the U.S. where groceries are tax exempt
well, i'm really sorry for having been such a loud mouth. i learned something new today. i really didn't know this existed anywhere in the modern world. this is really completely new information for me. this isn't the thing in the old world. i guess now i know why you burgers always have your prices displayed before taxes

no tax on groceries in any state I've lived in (New Jersey, New YOrk, Connecticut, FLoriday, and Massachusetts)

so where do you live, faggot?

yeah sorry, i just googled that hence here is my apologies

what does lack of tax have to do with price display?

put it this way: there is nation wide commercial for a burger at 5$
some states (those without taxes) will sell it for 5$. the states with taxes will sell it for 5$(+taxes) but still advertise for 5$

ah i see

>all debt is bad
dumb goy

I know what you meant, I was pointing at another hint that he recently arrived from reddit thinking Veeky Forums is the trumptard community where you can use the n-word without having your account banned.

I run the close enough numbers on my food/alcohol purchases here in Cali as "food" isn't taxed but alcohol is. I gave a cashier a dollar back 2 days ago because he tried to hand me 2.78 instead of the 1.78 I was owed. I don't do to the cent, unless were doing 1 dollar increments ex I buy $20.00 flat I know it would be +1.80 in the bay but +1.40 in a rural area.

b..But I have to talk to people then! and ask them to let me go around... and then they see that i have empty hands and will assume that I am too poor to buy something

Why would you tip a cashier who the fuck does that shit

>I have no self control and can't imagine paying my monthly balance in full so payment technology should go back to china where it belongs

Trump voter detected

No I don't tip, but I use to be a cashier and have had people try to tip me when I would help them to their cars. Once a lady tried to tip me $20 for helping her carry her cake to celebrate her baby's "6 month half birthday". I should have taken it.

Don't they make minimum wage with union benefits? They're not even 1099'd.

>tipping someone who makes minimum wage

At a fast food establishment since...well, it's established you pay people who bring you your food, it shouldn't matter if you're sitting down or standing at a counter. but I rarely, rarely eat out, and here's why

>be years ago
>always pack own lunch
>trying to "shake up" routine
>go out for lunch
>don't want to get back late, pick nearest place
>burger king
>studying menu while in line
>can't decide
>my turn finally
>just point at the cardboard stand and he rings it up
>$10 fucking dollars after tax and tip for a burger, fries, and soda
never again

Why would you ever tip, anywhere? Don't people in your country get paid a wage?

I don't make the rules and you get ostracized if you show backbone like "not paying workers a living wage"
I know, I want them to take up their issue with their pay with their boss, the person who employs them, but that's not going to happen. They LIKE to bitch and moan about shitty pay because it's not actually shitty, all it brings in is bigger tips and more attention

No idea what you're talking about sorry, I'm from a first world country where wages meet cost of living. Tipping is never done here.

You're not supposed to tip the fucking cashier numbnuts.