16 pints of shelf stable turkey stock

16 pints of shelf stable turkey stock

What will you make with it? I've never made turkey stock but I buy this turkey stock from a butcher stop that fucking stands up straight when you pour it out of the container and it makes the best collard greens I've ever had.

it's fairly mild so it will go good with anything

vegetable pies, soups and stews, lentils, noodles and rice

Is there a major difference between simmering turkey legs for hours in your soup and making stock?

I got three carcasses since Thanksgiving, since no one could be bothered making stock. I made a huge vat of it, and then reduced it. Not quite to demi glace consistency, but enough that about 10 gallons fit into 5 quarts.

no, i don't think so

the stock isn't really seasoned, though

and i pressure cooked it in the canner because it's faster and uses less energy

How long and at what pressure did you process it?

25 minutes at 15 lbs

I'm ashamed to admit that this I just couldn't be arsed. threw away the carcass
>partly because I have two from last year in the freezer
>and because life has been fucking busy

good for you tho. I make mine without a bay leaf, but with thyme, salt and pepper, and few onions and carrots. strain, cook down, and cool until jello, then reheat and can.

for a while, we were doing like three different family visits on Xmas and we'd carry the carcass home from each home but last year was just

there's a farm near us that does turkey, every year they have hundreds of gallons of stock and gravy they make and sell in quart containers, same deal.

nice what does it sell for? i'm obsessed with canning, would love to cut a profit on it, though it would have to be underground since it's illegal here

I usually keep chicken stock as my poultry stock. turkey immediately gets made into a consomme. turkey consomme is one of the best.

Should be perfectly safe then. Good job.

The real good job is this board producing a single decent food-related thread.

diddly. $2 per quart. it's just something they do to avoid wasting the vats of turkey stock they make

sorry, what? selling home-canned food is illegal?

Why go shelf-stable vs frozen? Legitimately curious

no shit it is. you want your drunk aunt Myrna cross contaminating shit and sell it at the church bake sale? fuck that food sales are RE GU LAT ED

why have food that slowly goes bad and requires power vs safe to eat forever?

you dont know the altitude.
You cant say its safe for sure, fgt

well, you need a permit to sell "low-risk"
canned foods. which are high acid and can be canned with water bath or steam.
meat or anything else low acid that requires pressure is considered high risk because of botulism and i doubt you'd be able to get a permit for it.
same with game meat. unless it's farm raised it's illegal to sell because you can't get a permit.
they're both legal to give away so i'm sure i could get involved in a barter economy

this it's also nice to not have to thaw shit and root through a big chest freezer, just have all your home prepared meals and ingredients literally on display in the pantry and ready to go with no forethought

i find when i freeze stuff i often end up forgetting about it until it's gone bad

What are some low risk foods for someone starting out

According to USDA guidelines for altitudes above 1000 ft, it's 25 minutes at 15lbs pressure for quarts. He said he processed for 25 minutes at 15lbs. Hence, I said perfectly safe.

Btw, you're a retard.

fruits

this is my favorite website to recommend people, all of their recipes are safe and cited: healthycanning.com/

what if he is over 10,000 feet?
Hur de durr

>what if he's above 10,000 ft?

Idk, he's the abominable snowman?

Enjoy your botulism

i will, thank you

t. kraft dinner, instant ramen and frozen pizza eater