Foods that are not worth it to make at home

Foods that are not worth it to make at home

Other urls found in this thread:

ippudony.com/
imgur.com/a/pzxDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=N1T5bcugV-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like trying some elaborate foods at home just to see if I can pull it off, but if it is really annoying or creates a lot of dirty dishes I likely wont try it a second time unless I fuck it up and get mad.

But if I had to pick one, I'd say braised octopus.

Don't you know real ramen?

for me its the mcchicken

Anything deep fried.
If you're doing deep frying at home... well lets just say that's "problematic".

What's a good entry level ramen style? I'm thinking of ordering from a ramen shop in my neighborhood. I'm not particularly picky but
I'd rather not feel like I wasted money.

Here's the site for reference

tampoporamennyc com

Stop posting your weeb/gook shit here

isn't braised octopus a one pan dish?

Chicken wings, it's a huge pain in the ass to purchase, batter, deep fry and sauce them when every corner place sells them by the pound for the price of a maccas meal

Are airfryers a viable alternative? I've been craving some crispy potatoes but I don't want to deal with a lot of grease.

but ramen is easy as hell to make at home. theres a huge industry based around it

Depends on what you define as ramen. I doubt your average person will have the patience or knowledge to simmer pork bones for 8 hours in order to make tonkutsu.

Ramen is ramen, its not instant noodles. Unless you're talking about those pre-made broths

Yes but it's easy to over or undercook imo, plus it doesn't pair well with a lot of foods which is why most establishments serve it as an appetizer.

Anyway I tried it twice on my own and fucked it up both times...so I said 'screw it'.

>tampoporamennyc com
B-but user-kun don't you know this is an anime image board? baka

I have an airfryer and it works great for fries. Best sweet potato fries ive ever had from em. If you wanna fry chicken i think you need to coat it in oil first

ITs retardedly easy to leave your stove on low or get a slowcooker going. Making homemade bone broth is stupid easy and lazy.

Ramen broth is a lot more than just bones.

>wings
>batter
You're doing it wrong.

Then don't make tonkotsu, make miso, shoyu or shio ramen instead.

Miso ramen is piss easy to make.

This, literally just made ramen tonight, if you have a good chicken stock just make a miso tare and throw that shit in bam you have ramen, get some good noodles, even the noodles from instant ramen work and some simple garnishes. Green onion menma Naruto some chicken thighs and bam you're done.
I would never try to make beef wellington at home cause fuck puff pastry.

Depends on where you're from bro.

Deep fried battered wings are objectively better than naked.

>NARUTOOOOOO

>board full of shills
>complains about people posting something that isn't a fastfood item
You're what's wrong with Veeky Forums

>noodle soup is too hard for me

fried chicken

this and egg rolls. homemade egg rolls are heavenly, but man are they a hassle.

There's nothing better in a restaurant that I can't make at home. Unless of course it's a fancy/expensive/high class restaurant where the chef is a master of his craft and a proper chef.

But average, chain, local restaurants don't cook as well as I do. And I mean that without arrogance. I do go to restaurants to get ideas, though, then recreate them at home.

I think a lot of it has to do with ingredients. I'll buy fresh ingredients while in restaurants they may buy cheaper ones to save on costs.

Pho
anything smoked
most mexican food
frying stuff is a pain because it's a waste of oil and no i don't want to reuse the oil
dumplings
fresh pasta

Tonkotsu

For me it's always if I have to buy 3 or more ingredients specifically for that dish it's something I don't want to attempt. If I can use ingredients I will use for other dishes then it doesn't matter as much. I have quite a lot of interesting ingredients in my kitchen but most of them can be used for a bunch of different dishes so I'm able to be creative up to a point.

For me it comes down to smell. I love liver and onions, but I hate what it does to the house. Same with certain fish. If I'm having a rainbow trout craving I just call up my buddy at his restaurant and we make it there where the ventilation system rocks.

This is a co/ck/ who understands frugal shopping. Good on ya.

i mean it depends why you're cooking i guess. a lot of the time i'm not cooking for sustenance - i'm cooking because i want to be cooking, so things that take a lot of effort are just what i'm looking for. gumbo is kinda a hassle though.

>patience or knowledge

What are you talking about? I mean yeah most people are fucking retards but if you have any cooking skills you are able to put bones into a pot with water and boil them. After skimming the scum it's pretty much zero effort process.

How do you make your wood oven pizza and peking duck?

Not who you're asking, but this is what I use to make my woodfired pizzas. The temp gets to 900F and the raw dough pizza is done in 90 seconds.

If you're preparing soup, you make a ton of it. Not a single bowl to rass

also if you're around nyc you should check out ippudo at some point

ippudony.com/

Most BBQ

It's hard to do traditionally with most home set ups.

Most stuff related to bbq i can make with my weber kettle and drum smoker, if you just "invest" in something like an old oildrum or make a firepit where you can burn wood to make ready hot coals you can do fantastic things with just a kettle and a drumsmoker, it doesnt have to be a drum or firepit, just as long as you have a safe place to make a fire.

Granted bbq takes a long time, but i dont see it as a huge effort, most of the time you can relax and drink beer while checking temps, just pop a few hot coals in when it drops and have a good time :)

I fucking need this in my life but can't build one where I live now.

i'm jelly of that setup. probably makes a great gimmick at garden parties

I've had a few parties where I have a bunch of dough and different ingredients and we all make different pizzas. Pretty fun. Everyone seems to enjoy it.

I do

Nice. I've got the space, and it's on the list, but I want to set up the party area a little better first. The last owner had horses, so I've got this huge paddock we use for bonfires and parties. Big bash every 4th of july as the city fireworks are set off across the field behind it. Did you do it yourself, or have it contracted?

Fish balls/cakes. Waste of oil and the pulverized squid, potato starch, and egg white mix was caked into the corners of my food processor for days.

I love Korean-style fish cakes and savoured every one from the batch I made. But as long as I can get one of the better brands, I'd rather buy frozen.

Naked wings are objectively better - the skin can get so crispy and delicious

>hanging at a bar in my tourist town
>A man is trying to get chatty with me and a few other patrons
>mention that I'm working on making varieties of wings in my spare time
>he asks me about the breading and looks at me like I'm an alien and wrong for not using breading

Stop posting your weird weeb/gook shit on this board nigger

If you want a nice party food and have the time I'd suggest something we do here called the robber's roast.
You dig a hole in the ground, pave it with bricks or rocks. Make a bonfire in that hole and let it burn for several hours. Dig the coals out. Place meat wrapped in wet parchment paper, tin foil and wet news papers in there. Cover the thing with the soil. Make a new bonfire on top of it and let the meat cook until ready.
It takes a long time but it's amazing. You can use pretty much any kind of meat and seasoning you want.

>stop posting about Food & Cooking on the Food & Cooking board
are you even trying? 2/10 had me reply

sounds amazing. so there isn't any burning matter left in the hole when you place the food in there and cover it up, did i get that right? do you happen to have any pics of that?

Senpai made pastrami for New Year's Day.

Good, but was an insane amount of effort, especially when the brisket we used turned out to be 80% pure fat.

Have some reddit imgur.com/a/pzxDQ

Yeah. It doesn't matter if some is left as the meat mostly cooks from the residual heat of the bricks and the mild heat of the bonfire on the top. The hole is dug as big as you need to fit the bricks and the meat parcel you have.

Here's a video of the process
youtube.com/watch?v=N1T5bcugV-4

I have the pizza oven too. It's a bit meh though because everyone I've had over expects to 1) just walk out to the oven, chuck some wood in, and have it at 900 F in 20 minutes or 2) turning out 18" pies every 2 minutes.

Like you said, it cooks pretty damn quick, but building and maintaining the fire is always more work than people expect.

I did it myself. I had to buy the firebrick from a brick company. The big expense was the high heat mortar. That stuff is $75.00/50 lb and we used 2 bags. I might try to insulate the outside so it will maintain normal cooking temperature so I can bake bread and braises after the pizza is done. Plus it won't take so long to reach 900F. It takes a good 2 hours of fierce burning to get the temp to 900F.

Pizza & Chinese food. Both because they require specialized kitchen equipment (a wood/coal-fire oven & high-butane chimney range) that isn't feasible at home to achieve commercial results.

had you read the thread you would have noticed that pizza is very well doable at home
sure, you need to gather the equipment, but it is like an investment that lasts you many years

If you have the space and money to build your own brick oven outside, sure. The fact is that residential wall ovens max out at ~500F and for many people living in apartments that's no dice.

Sure you can put a baking stone/steel under a broiler to preheat for half an hour, but it's not the same.

>seven hours to make

Why even live anymore?

I use it mostly for leisurely gatherings so people sit around drink some beer or wine and shoot the shit. Then I'll be tending the fire and have already prepped all the ingredients. A lot of times I'll have the smoker going with chicken, ribs or a shoulder or brisket. So it's not so bad. I've also got access to land where I can cut my own firewood so there's no expense. People are always kind of drawn to fire as a social thing.

But it's far too much work to fire it up because I'm going to make pizza for 2 people for dinner.

It's harder to get a crispy skin than batter/breading, so some retards don't even imagine it can be crispy.

Pressed Apple cider. Costs a bit more than simply buying it from Oak Glen CA and takes considerably more work.

Finished product

Pizza, even if you do have a pizza oven (and if you do without a commercial interest you're a dick) it's just too much hassle for the return.

i disagree, pizza is easy as fuck and making it at home save a shit ton of money

totinos doesn't count bruh

Literally a tablespoon of olive oil.

You can make pizza on a skillet. YouTube my guy

pho
bahn mi

shit

Baklava
The ingredients are pricey and you wind up making way more than you could ever eat.

pho is pretty straight forward,
i think most soups are, tonkotsu included.
Ofc it takes time but it takes less active time than most other meals, rest is just sitting on the stove which doesnt exactly hurt if you are at home anyways, on a weekend ie