Should we eat fish?

I think we all agree that factory farming is evil, and in an ideal world we would not eat meats that come from the processes.

What about fish though? I've cut out all land meats, but it is not clear to me that we should not eat seafood - especially mollusks.

Whatcha think, and what sort of dietary lifestyle are you on?

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864
thepermanentejournal.org/issues/2016/summer/6192-diet.html).
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I think we all agree that factory farming is evil
Go away, child

The entire world seems against you on this one dude.

>All my friends agree with me = everyone in the world

Okay

Factory farming is a multi billion dollar industry. Most people don't think it is evil enough to not buy it.

>we
Flagrant ideology is not science

Considering how beneficial their nutrients (seafood) and land animals are for a healthy diet and part of the reason for our advanced brains and you're basing your dislike on them solely upon morality, I doubt you should be posting this question on a Veeky Forumsentific board. Methinks you're looking for Newagechan.

not him but your point is basically as valid as him saying all his friends think its evil

Well killing animals just for fun and your own pleasure is kind of messed up I think. Not different with fish.

The fuck are you talking? God wants us to eat meat.

Consumption isn't:
>for fun and your own pleasure
Get some reading comprehension, user.

Is this bait or are you that retarded?
You can literally just eat something else instead. It is literally just for your own pleasure and nothing else.
You could have pasta/pizza/rice/fruits/salad/whatever but when you just feeling like eating fish today it is killing for fun.

So, I'm going to sacrifice consuming a healthy and varied omnivorous diet for MUH MORALS? How about go and fuck yourself? How about I'll happily enjoy my single chance at existence whilst I'm not damaging the ecosystem and actually doing something perfectly normal? You might want to get some perspective, faggot, or you're going to have a very boring single chance at existence.

>eating animals
>not damaging the ecosystem
sure thing pal

>implying you need to put kadavers in your mouth to stay healthy
kek, wonder if its healthy for the fish is you eat it.
And yes i'll fuck myself in the next couple minutes ;^)

>Line caught fish.
Not damaging the ecosystem.

>Conflating trawling with only method to catch fish.
Pretty dumb.

>Conflating fisheries with all fish, whilst I mentioned good nutrients, something decreased in fisheries (including omega 3).
Gosh, you just get more 'morally superior' with each post.

>Humans aren't meant to eat fish.
Yet, we've been doing it since recorded history and therefore probably since pre-history.

>But we don't have natural means?
Naturally evolved to be able to make tools, ego, those means.

Anything else, stereotypical effete vegetarian?

By the way, I'm a pescetarian, because it helps me control my gastroesophageal reflux and irritable bowel syndrome.

See this. ^

i'm sure you don't mind if i save that rare pepe

Just because humans did it for all times does not mean it is a wise thing to do. We are not in a situation of constant food shortage anymore.
I'm just not in a position to judge about animals lives just for the sake of my own mouthpleasure.
I can see that you think it makes you feel manly to eat fish.
You are confusing posters btw

>I can see that you think it makes you feel manly to eat fish.
Nice oral joke.

>I'm just not in a position to judge about animals lives just for the sake of my own mouthpleasure.
Well considering this isn't really a Veeky Forumsentific argument, just morality and not 'objective morality' at that, so I'll simply say, I enjoy animal protein and since seafood animal protein is the least offensive to my system, I'll be sticking with it. Not to mention, my mentality is based around 'power', that being, laws can only be enforced if you have the power to enforce them. Since I have the power to 'enforce' death upon the fish, I will continue to do so, until stopped.

>Just because humans did it for all times does not mean it is a wise thing to do. We are not in a situation of constant food shortage anymore.
Meh?

>You are confusing posters btw.
Indeed, both posters are very confusing. :^)

Dude, what kind of naive mentality is that ?
You realize how heavily reliant we are on factory farming to feed the growing population right?
If you shut it down overnight there will riots and looting on a global scale within a week.
You're delusional buddy.
I recommend that instead of pondering on your consumption of fish, you seriously reevaluate your social circle and reflect on why you have the ideas that you do.
Was it your parents who pushed you in this direction? Friends? Perhaps it started with a vegan girl you were trying to bang by aligning yourself with similar dogma?

I wouldn't be surprised if in say 50 years the majority of people are vegan, I mean there are health benefits, environmental benefits and of course ethical benefits to this diet. It's just a social norm to go buy meat, people don't really think twice about it. Compare it to the 1900s where they thought slavery was perfectly fine... now you think back and think how barbaric that was. Probably will be the same thing for the meat industry in 50 years. I personally don't have a problem with eating meat but rather a problem with how those animals are treated. I wouldn't care if you just go and shoot an animal in the wild and eat it, but them living in these tiny enclosures in shitty conditions then getting slaughtered is pretty despicable.

I don't think the meat industry is sustainable long term for the environment, so that also will probably force a change in the future.

Vegan diets are also very healthy, have been shown to revert heart disease and shit. The myth that they are defiicient is false (ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864 and prettty much any dietitic association says they are fine) and like I said they even have many health benefits (thepermanentejournal.org/issues/2016/summer/6192-diet.html). You can even get enough protein from it, plenty of vegan bodybuilders/strongmen out there

So yeah OP I agree I really think vegan diets are the shit, the only real argument I can see against it is "but muhh taste of bacon", really it comes down to selfishness / not wanting to change habits.

>Vegan
>health benefits
No.
I think you mean vegetarianism.

Plant based, could be vegetarian or vegan

American Dietetic Association

It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.

Harvard Medical School

Traditionally, research into vegetarianism focused mainly on potential nutritional deficiencies, but in recent years, the pendulum has swung the other way, and studies are confirming the health benefits of meat-free eating. Nowadays, plant-based eating is recognized as not only nutritionally sufficient but also as a way to reduce the risk for many chronic illnesses.

^ In the context they include vegans, lacto-ovo vegetarian etc all as one name "vegetarian"

Also have more links if you want

No. Just you and the other 3 people voting for Jill Stein.

Not the guy your replying too, but basically consumers don't care enough about the nice treatment of meat to where they would boycott meat from factory farms to the point where it would hurt the factory farms profit margins.

I'm not a PETA freak or anything but most of the big meat farms treat the animals really awful, you should check out the documentaries

>I don't think the meat industry is sustainable long term for the environment, so that also will probably force a change in the future.

I can buy a burger at McDonalds for $3 if raising cattle was so resource intensive, the food company's would charge much more to raise revenue.

But its not because Factory farming is the most efficient ways to produce meat in the market and that"s why the meat from factory farms are so cheap.

And Sam Harris.

Sam Hyde

Eat whatever the fuck you want, just don't deny truths. Obviously an animal that is raised in a confined area, fed shit food it's ancestors never did, and is pumped full of antibiotics will not produce meat that is as healthy as it's wild/free roam counterpart. With that being said, the optimal would be a plant based diet, with occasional meat from wild game. But this would require a substaincially smaller human population than we have now.

>god wants us to eat meat == god wants us to support/create factory farms

Religous logic aside, those two points are not congruent in the slightest. Are ability to question wether eating meat is right or wrong sets us apart from other animals, but we are still animals that evolved to this point by eating whatever we could, meat included. So in that way, yes, "god" wants us to eat meat. But for 99% of our existence, that meat has come from wild game or free range animals. Factory farms are not the same. The animals are kept alive by our artificial medical creations, fed a diet unlike to anything seen by human raised animals before, and in most cases allowed to grovel in their own shit and piss. Other issues concerning factory farms? Pollution. Large concentrations of methane are produced in a very small area and ground water is polluted.

>a healthy and varied omnivorous diet
Question:
Do you meat liver? Do you eat hearts? Do you eat kidneys?

Because this would satisfy the definition of a varied omnivorous diet, and not just x type of meat.

>>Humans aren't meant to eat fish.
>Yet, we've been doing it since recorded history and therefore probably since pre-history.
This arguement always makes me laugh. "Humans aren't meant to ________". Can't people see who stupid of a comment that is? I mean, humans are the only ones who can decide this, so really it should say "Humans have decided this is what we can't _____?". No other animal is out there judging us based on what we eat.

Cheap =/= sustainable.

Meat (beef especially) is incredibly unsustainable.

Yes, it's so evil for poor people to be able to afford meat. We should only have organic grass-fed grade A meat and organic heirloom vegetables and the poor can eat... they can eat each other. That would be an ideal world indeed.

No dude. Poor people can eat beans, rice, eggs, and an enormous variety of fruits and veggies - among many other cheap, ethical, and sustainable options. $1 McDoubles are not necessary for poor people.

>big meat farms treat the animals really awful
I worked on some of them when I was young. I have first hand knowledge that the people pushing this line of BS are first class lunatics. Stop being so easily manipulated?

Pretty sure the poor people, which would be the majority, would just eat the rich. Hence, it is in the rich interests to invest in cheap meat and all the other things people want to be cheap.

Have fun being reborn as a factory farm cow, faggot.